GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Elliott or Leclaire - Who's Number 1?

+19
rooneypoo
LeCaptain
The Silfer Server
wprager
PKC
Number Twenty Nine
Amnesia021
TheAvatar
Cap'n Clutch
Flo The Action
CockRoche
Hoags
SeawaySensFan
dennycrane
Ev
Riprock
shabbs
PTFlea
SensHulk
23 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8 ... 14  Next

Elliott or Leclaire - Who's Number 1?

Elliott or Leclaire - Who's Number 1? - Page 2 Vote_lcap221%Elliott or Leclaire - Who's Number 1? - Page 2 Vote_rcap2 21% [ 4 ]
Elliott or Leclaire - Who's Number 1? - Page 2 Vote_lcap253%Elliott or Leclaire - Who's Number 1? - Page 2 Vote_rcap2 53% [ 10 ]
Elliott or Leclaire - Who's Number 1? - Page 2 Vote_lcap226%Elliott or Leclaire - Who's Number 1? - Page 2 Vote_rcap2 26% [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 19

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 14]

16Elliott or Leclaire - Who's Number 1? - Page 2 Empty Re: Elliott or Leclaire - Who's Number 1? Sun Oct 03, 2010 8:55 pm

CockRoche

Veteran
Veteran

Hoags wrote:
CockRoche wrote:Did you guys have this discussion last year as well? Just curious, as by the sounds of the original post you did.

That is sad and funny at the same time.

My view:
Leclaire - I have never been a fan; skill set or health wise. He is not a starting goalie and should never be counted on to be one. Makes no sense.
Elliott - is growing on me.

Did you ever write your thoughts on Leclaire ? I'm curious why he can't be #1 (skill wise anyway - we all know about his health), besides the fact he never won anything in Juniors.

Nope, I never did. He has never really been brought into threads I have looked at until now.

Short answer - skill wise. He doesn't trust himself and therefore guesses way to often. He is a small goalie, who plays even smaller.

I will expand tomorrow when I have some more time if you wish. Actually, I want to, I just have to remember to.

17Elliott or Leclaire - Who's Number 1? - Page 2 Empty Re: Elliott or Leclaire - Who's Number 1? Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:26 am

Flo The Action

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

leclaire by a mile.INO elliott is an average goalie(please elliott, prove me wrong) and pascale has the skill set and speed to be above average. he's just got to stop being so careless and get his head screwed on right.

18Elliott or Leclaire - Who's Number 1? - Page 2 Empty Re: Elliott or Leclaire - Who's Number 1? Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:24 am

SeawaySensFan

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Hoags wrote:According to Wamsley, Leclaire is more athletic but Elliott is more technically sound. Watching highlights of Leclaire in Columbus it doesn't even look like the same goalie we got. Maybe that ankle injury made him worse.

While it's only the preseason so far, I think this year will be like last year, Elliott will grab the #1 spot again. It's been a slow start so far.

Fortunately both our goalies are FA after this year so we can totally change our goalies around if it comes to that.

Leclaire is an athletic reflex goalie. He needs to stay deep in his net to be successful. He wanders too much.

For all the criticism Elliott takes, he did manage a 29 win NHL season.

19Elliott or Leclaire - Who's Number 1? - Page 2 Empty Re: Elliott or Leclaire - Who's Number 1? Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:03 am

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I added a Poll. I say it's too early to say who the number one goalie will be this season.

- Unknown Author

20Elliott or Leclaire - Who's Number 1? - Page 2 Empty Re: Elliott or Leclaire - Who's Number 1? Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:13 am

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

P-Buch all the way y'all.

21Elliott or Leclaire - Who's Number 1? - Page 2 Empty Re: Elliott or Leclaire - Who's Number 1? Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:30 am

SensHulk

SensHulk
All-Star
All-Star

Cap'n Clutch wrote:I added a Poll. I say it's too early to say who the number one goalie will be this season.

siiick Futurama reference!

22Elliott or Leclaire - Who's Number 1? - Page 2 Empty Re: Elliott or Leclaire - Who's Number 1? Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:40 am

SensHulk

SensHulk
All-Star
All-Star

I'm going to say leclaire will start it off for the sens, but he certainly doesn't deserve it. They're gonna give him some slack as I'm sure they really really want him to be number 1 and with Wamsley coming in, maybe they're hoping that all important chord is struck soon. I say through the first 5-10 games, leclaire will be unofficially number one, but if he sucks, then its anyone's game (including elliott). If both are terrible, I see no choice but to make a trade/waiver pickup. There should be no way a youngster like Lehner gets placed so much pressure on him

23Elliott or Leclaire - Who's Number 1? - Page 2 Empty Re: Elliott or Leclaire - Who's Number 1? Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:57 am

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Who is the Sens' #1 goalie and who will start on Friday are two potentially very different questions...

Wink

24Elliott or Leclaire - Who's Number 1? - Page 2 Empty Re: Elliott or Leclaire - Who's Number 1? Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:11 am

SensHulk

SensHulk
All-Star
All-Star

maybe not. Usually you start your number one goalie in the season opener, but I could see it not being the case just this time around since its a back to back scenario. Considering Elliott has owned Buffalo, and totally sucked against Toronto, I could see Ells against Buffalo, and Leclaire against Toronto.

But out of camp so far, I think Leclaire is 'unofficially' number one (undeservingly)...just like it was Gerber to start off back in 2008.

25Elliott or Leclaire - Who's Number 1? - Page 2 Empty Re: Elliott or Leclaire - Who's Number 1? Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:26 am

CockRoche

CockRoche
Veteran
Veteran

CockRoche wrote:
Hoags wrote:
CockRoche wrote:Did you guys have this discussion last year as well? Just curious, as by the sounds of the original post you did.

That is sad and funny at the same time.

My view:
Leclaire - I have never been a fan; skill set or health wise. He is not a starting goalie and should never be counted on to be one. Makes no sense.
Elliott - is growing on me.

Did you ever write your thoughts on Leclaire ? I'm curious why he can't be #1 (skill wise anyway - we all know about his health), besides the fact he never won anything in Juniors.

Nope, I never did. He has never really been brought into threads I have looked at until now.

Short answer - skill wise. He doesn't trust himself and therefore guesses way to often. He is a small goalie, who plays even smaller.

I will expand tomorrow when I have some more time if you wish. Actually, I want to, I just have to remember to.

SeawaySensFan mentioned it already as well and I will now expand on my short answer above.

If you do any kind of instructing young goalies and even been to a goalie school yourself, you will know that there are two ways a goalie can make a save. You can either be in position and block the puck or you can just react to the play that develops. The best goalies do both and they make that decision to either block or react subconsciously in a split second. Any later and it's most likely to late.

We can all agree that Leclaire is a reaction and reflex type goalie. He is able to do this because of his athleticism. Problem with Leclaire is he has no ability at all to make to blocking style save. Leclaire is not a short guy. His style makes him look like that though, he looks like a small goalie. Other than Antti Niemi, I can't think of another goalie that gets as low in thier stance as Leclaire. It's fine to be wide with your legs, but keep your back straight and cover the top portion of the net. Leclaire is bad for that. His top shelp is exposed greatly, just because of his wide stance. The puck moves faster than reflexes and shots get by Leclaire too often up top.

This is just the skill set analysis that you asked for Hoags. You didn't want to go into Leclaire health issues. His style though creates his health issues. The are 2 peas in a pod. He is not going to get away from his injuries until he changes his style. Leclaire guesses and reacts on every save which because he is not in position, he will then have to push his body to the limits and make the sometimes extraordinary, miraculous flopping save where injuries happen. Leclaire has already had the worst injury a goalie can have which is his torn meniscus. That is a tough one to come back from, it forces you to change your game. Leclaire hasn't.

Leclaire needs to get into a rhythm, without consistent starts he won't be able to do that. You can't get consistent starts though if you let in 4 goals a game. See the problem here?

I tend to go off in 7 different directions with my posts when talking about goalies. Chalk that up to having too much in my head and not enough writing experience. My apologies.

Hoags, did I answer you question? Leclaire is not a #1 goalie because of his style and proneness to injury. Starting goalies need to be counted on. When has Leclaire ever given you the confidence that he can be counted on for long periods at a time? Never is the answer.

Fans of Vancouver, Buffalo, New Jersey, Nashville, Rangers, Phoenix, Boston, Calgary and St. Louis (now) don't have to worry about their goalie making a save, they know it is going to happen. It is a good feeling to have as a player or even a fan to know that your goalie will make the save when it is needed. Ottawa fans can't say that with Leclaire.

26Elliott or Leclaire - Who's Number 1? - Page 2 Empty Re: Elliott or Leclaire - Who's Number 1? Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:46 pm

TheAvatar

TheAvatar
Veteran
Veteran

CockRoche wrote:

It is a good feeling to have as a player or even a fan to know that your goalie will make the save when it is needed. Ottawa fans can't say that with Leclaire ...

Ottawa fans have never been able to say that ...

27Elliott or Leclaire - Who's Number 1? - Page 2 Empty Re: Elliott or Leclaire - Who's Number 1? Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:51 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

TheAvatar wrote:CockRoche wrote:

It is a good feeling to have as a player or even a fan to know that your goalie will make the save when it is needed. Ottawa fans can't say that with Leclaire ...

Hasek was a taste of what one day we hopefully could have everyday. Emery I was always pretty confident in until he started to be a tool.

28Elliott or Leclaire - Who's Number 1? - Page 2 Empty Re: Elliott or Leclaire - Who's Number 1? Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:53 pm

TheAvatar

TheAvatar
Veteran
Veteran

SpezDispenser wrote:

Hasek was a taste of what one day we hopefully could have everyday. Emery I was always pretty confident in until he started to be a tool.

For sure Hasek but that was a pretty short tenure ... Emery always made me nervous. Lalime had some good years but never had a franchise goalie ...

29Elliott or Leclaire - Who's Number 1? - Page 2 Empty Re: Elliott or Leclaire - Who's Number 1? Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:53 pm

CockRoche

CockRoche
Veteran
Veteran

Hasek, but that is a whole 'nother ball of wax.

30Elliott or Leclaire - Who's Number 1? - Page 2 Empty Re: Elliott or Leclaire - Who's Number 1? Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:54 pm

CockRoche

CockRoche
Veteran
Veteran

Guess I was too late to say Hasek.

31Elliott or Leclaire - Who's Number 1? - Page 2 Empty Re: Elliott or Leclaire - Who's Number 1? Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:03 pm

Amnesia021

Amnesia021
Rookie
Rookie

what? no Alec Connell love? Snoopydance

32Elliott or Leclaire - Who's Number 1? - Page 2 Empty Re: Elliott or Leclaire - Who's Number 1? Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:13 pm

Number Twenty Nine

Number Twenty Nine
Veteran
Veteran

the necktie

33Elliott or Leclaire - Who's Number 1? - Page 2 Empty Re: Elliott or Leclaire - Who's Number 1? Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:15 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Number Twenty Nine wrote:the necktie

For the win!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 14]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8 ... 14  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum