GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Rookie Practice - September 10th

+15
asq2
SensGirl11
SensHulk
Flo The Action
SeawaySensFan
PKC
LeCaptain
sens4win
Ev
rooneypoo
TheAvatar
Devo
wprager
The Silfer Server
PTFlea
19 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 11]

1Rookie Practice - September 10th Empty Rookie Practice - September 10th Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:43 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

All in all, if you've seen one of these, they're pretty similar. Wiercioch was a guy we watched closely - and he seems to have bulked up *slightly*, but still appears to have a long way to go. His puck skills - passing and shooting - are the best of the crop of rooks that were out there.

Cowen still looks both intimidating and gargantuan, but there was little chance to see him really test his skating.

Jim O'Brien was the forward who was the sharpest at passing - and appeared to have made the most progress. Whether or not that carries over to the pros is another story though.

Cowick and Hoffman are both fun to watch as well - although again, it's hard to judge in that short a time.

Now Gryba...there's a BIG dude who's gonna send someone to the infirmary this weekend if they're not careful! He nailed someone against the back boards and they didn't exactly pop up from that.

Last edited by SpezDispenser on Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:49 pm; edited 1 time in total

2Rookie Practice - September 10th Empty Re: Rookie Practice - September 10th Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:49 pm

The Silfer Server

The Silfer Server
Veteran
Veteran

Good article on Cowen from the Sens webpage:

http://senators.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=537152

Rob Brodie wrote:'I KNOW EXACTLY WHAT I WANT TO DO'

He's a big man shouldering perhaps even bigger expectations.

But if it's like everything else that has been thrown in his way over the last 18 months, expect Jared Cowen to take it as it comes and make the best of it.

All eyes will surely be on the Senators' top pick (ninth overall) in the 2009 NHL Entry Draft starting Saturday, when a number of Ottawa's best prospects hit the ice for their annual rookie tournament at the John Labatt Centre in London, Ont.

The Senators face off against the Pittsburgh Penguins prospects tomorrow before tangling with the Chicago Blackhawks on Sunday (both 2 p.m., Rogers Television, Team 1200). They'll wrap it up against the host Toronto Maple Leafs on Tuesday (7 p.m., Rogers Television, Team 1200).

If there is a big story — literally and figuratively — at the tournament, it's the 6-5, 228-pound Cowen, who is expected to challenge for a job with the Senators when main camp opens on Sept. 17 at Scotiabank Place. The 19-year-old from Saskatoon is ready to tackle the intense glare that will no doubt go along with all of that.

"I've been preparing for that all summer," Cowen said at the Bell Sensplex, where the Senators rookies practised earlier today before making their way to London. "It's not like it's a big shock to me right now. At the same time, there is pressure, but it's just something you have to learn to deal with."

That being said, Cowen is approaching everything that is about to unfold this month with one goal in mind; to show team management that he can fill the void left behind when Anton Volchenkov, a physical presence on the Senators blue line, was lost to the New Jersey Devils in free agency.

"The rookie tournament, for me, is just to get a good feel for myself, get back on my skates and get as close as possible to mid-season form," he said. "After that, it's (about) main camp and making the team. I know exactly what I want to do."

Given what he's been through already, Cowen is also happy to say he is taking on this next challenge in optimal health. A year ago, he couldn't participate in the rookie tournament because he was still "on the tip of coming back" from major reconstructive knee surgery in February 2009. There was another minor setback two months ago, when a bout of mononucleosis prevented Cowen from displaying his wares at Hockey Canada's summer junior evaluation camp in St. John's.

"When the knee (injury) happened ... that was my first big injury, so I just kind of rolled with it," said Cowen. "Then the mono came and I was like 'this kind of sucks, too.' Hopefully, next summer is going to be good with no injuries and no setbacks. It's been kind of a string of bad luck."

But all of that will seem like ancient history if Cowen, sporting a new No. 2 jersey (he previously wore 48), finds himself in the lineup when the Senators play their 2010-11 season-opener Oct. 8 against the Buffalo Sabres at Scotiabank Place. He promises it'll be a different experience than back on April 8, when Cowen made his National Hockey League debut against the Lightning in Tampa, Fla.

"I was a little nervous," he said. "But I'm glad I've got one under my belt now, so the next one won't be so bad. I think I already feel better than I did in that game, so that gives me a lot of confidence. I was still not 100 per cent (healthy) last season, so the next game I'll feel a lot better."

3Rookie Practice - September 10th Empty Re: Rookie Practice - September 10th Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:53 pm

The Silfer Server

The Silfer Server
Veteran
Veteran

And the Rookie Camp Guide in pdf.

http://senators.nhl.com/v2/ext/PDFs/Rookie_Camp_Guide.pdf

4Rookie Practice - September 10th Empty Re: Rookie Practice - September 10th Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:20 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

SD, I thought you had some pics. Upload them, dangit. Just click the "Host Image" icon and away you go.

5Rookie Practice - September 10th Empty Re: Rookie Practice - September 10th Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:19 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

wprager wrote:SD, I thought you had some pics. Upload them, dangit. Just click the "Host Image" icon and away you go.

I'll do it when I get home, I...don't know what I'm doing on this computer at work. Ahhhhh!

6Rookie Practice - September 10th Empty Re: Rookie Practice - September 10th Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:22 am

Devo

Sophomore
Sophomore

Wow, been a long time since I set foot in London, Ont. Ahh the memories...

Anyway, Love this town, and was out last night with a bunch of buddies and ran into the guys from team1200. Turns out not only are they broadcasting the games on the radio, but I'm told RogersTV will broacast the games as well.

Sucks for those with Bell, but Rogers customers can watch on their local community channel (for those in ottawa). Any way for those in London, enjoy it should be great.

Devo

7Rookie Practice - September 10th Empty Re: Rookie Practice - September 10th Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:25 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Really, as lame as it sounds, I cannot wait for these games. Quite excited. Ahhhhh!

8Rookie Practice - September 10th Empty Re: Rookie Practice - September 10th Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:25 am

TheAvatar

TheAvatar
Veteran
Veteran

Devo : Are you going to the game?

9Rookie Practice - September 10th Empty Re: Rookie Practice - September 10th Sat Sep 11, 2010 12:22 pm

The Silfer Server

The Silfer Server
Veteran
Veteran

SpezDispenser wrote:Really, as lame as it sounds, I cannot wait for these games. Quite excited. Ahhhhh!
I can't stop smiling. I'm actually giddy over this. It's quite sad. We, as men, have nothing to be proud of. Oh well. GO SENS!!!!

10Rookie Practice - September 10th Empty Re: Rookie Practice - September 10th Sat Sep 11, 2010 12:23 pm

The Silfer Server

The Silfer Server
Veteran
Veteran