GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Campoli signs 1-year deal for $1.4M, avoids arbitration

+13
SeawaySensFan
LeCaptain
beerandsens
CockRoche
Riprock
Cap'n Clutch
SensHulk
dennycrane
asq2
Hobiesens
PTFlea
Hockeyhero22000
shabbs
17 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 3]

Riprock

All-Star
All-Star

Michallica wrote:
Cap'n Clutch wrote:
Michallica wrote:is there any way for Cowen to play for ottawa mid-season? or is it just solely based as an emergency call up?

Not sure but, you'd think they'd have to call up guys like Weircioch and Gryba from Bingo before they dipped into Juniors.

yeah true. But what if its clear that Weircioch and/or gryba aren't prepared for the nhl still? I'm just trying to think of a scenario where if Campoli or someone else is traded, Cowen can get that jump, but I highly doubt it would be possible. Thinking of how John Carlson was part of the caps down the stretch run and playoffs

Carlsson was playing for the AHL though.

SensHulk

All-Star
All-Star

Dash wrote:
Michallica wrote:
Cap'n Clutch wrote:
Michallica wrote:is there any way for Cowen to play for ottawa mid-season? or is it just solely based as an emergency call up?

Not sure but, you'd think they'd have to call up guys like Weircioch and Gryba from Bingo before they dipped into Juniors.

yeah true. But what if its clear that Weircioch and/or gryba aren't prepared for the nhl still? I'm just trying to think of a scenario where if Campoli or someone else is traded, Cowen can get that jump, but I highly doubt it would be possible. Thinking of how John Carlson was part of the caps down the stretch run and playoffs

Carlsson was playing for the AHL though.

then i'm confused...he's american so i guess its not the same rules where he'd have to go play junior/college under age 20?

CockRoche

Veteran
Veteran

You can't recall a player from the Junior level until after their Junior season is over. You can on an emergency recall basis, but this would have to be approved by the NHL. I can't see that happening with Cowen though as Ottawa will have so many capable defensemen in the AHL they would have to use first.

Cowen may only get his 9-game trial at the beginning of the season, but I even doubt that.

CockRoche

CockRoche
Veteran
Veteran

I don't think this is "pricey" at all.

Campoli was one of Ottawa's best defenseman nearing the end of last season. He was consistently making smart decision with and without the puck. He was aggressively attacking the offensive zone and helping the forwards create scoring chances.

I like this signing, but wish the term was in the 2-3 year range. All in all, I'm fine with the 1 year term though because we will have prospects taking up one or two spots on the D next season for sure.

Campoli will be a major asset for us this season and I think we will all be happy with him.

You have to remember that Campoli was playing most of the season last year with hernia issues which have now been cleared up. Campoli is only 26 years old and is still entering his prime years by NHL defensemen standards.

I'm excited, I wanted him back in Ottawa.

Another great job by Murray not letting his players get to the arbitration process. Lock them up, don't let other teams poach them and then sign them to reasonable contracts. Well done.

beerandsens

beerandsens
Sophomore
Sophomore

You have to remember that Campoli was playing most of the season last year with hernia issues which have now been cleared up. Campoli is only 26 years old and is still entering his prime years by NHL defensemen standards.

I definitely didn't know that. Does that explain his mid season turnaround, or was he still playing through the hernia stuff at that point?

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

CockRoche wrote:I don't think this is "pricey" at all.

Campoli was one of Ottawa's best defenseman nearing the end of last season. He was consistently making smart decision with and without the puck. He was aggressively attacking the offensive zone and helping the forwards create scoring chances.

I like this signing, but wish the term was in the 2-3 year range. All in all, I'm fine with the 1 year term though because we will have prospects taking up one or two spots on the D next season for sure.

Campoli will be a major asset for us this season and I think we will all be happy with him.

Another great job by Murray not letting his players get to the arbitration process. Lock them up, don't let other teams poach them and then sign them to reasonable contracts. Well done.

I loved when he was aggressive and moved into the play as a 'rover', to be successful I'd like to see him do more of that. What I didn't love was his defensive zone play, but he can continue to improve on that.

I heard about the hernia issues yesterday for the first time and that sheds a whole new light on things.

CockRoche

CockRoche
Veteran
Veteran

beerandsens wrote:

I definitely didn't know that. Does that explain his mid season turnaround, or was he still playing through the hernia stuff at that point?

It definitely justifies his change in play in my mind. A hernia HURTS.

Campoli and the Sens made a decision at the start of the year to play through it if he could, but it did affect his play. It was bothering him for much of the season last year, when he had his time off in February for his knee, a lot of his hernia discomfort went away as well. I think we all saw a different Campoli in March and April of 2010 then we saw in the 50 games prior.

Campoli is a great player who is entering his prime soon. Murray doesn't just throw away 1st round picks with reckless abandon and I trust Murray. I am excited the see Campoli on our blueline this year for only $1.4 million.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

CockRoche wrote:
It definitely justifies his change in play in my mind. A hernia HURTS.

Campoli and the Sens made a decision at the start of the year to play through it if he could, but it did affect his play. It was bothering him for much of the season last year, when he had his time off in February for his knee, a lot of his hernia discomfort went away as well. I think we all saw a different Campoli in March and April of 2010 then we saw in the 50 games prior.

Campoli is a great player who is entering his prime soon. Murray doesn't just throw away 1st round picks with reckless abandon and I trust Murray. I am excited the see Campoli on our blueline this year for only $1.4 million.

Again, definitely didn't know that, it changes a lot I have to admit.

CockRoche

CockRoche
Veteran
Veteran

SpezDispenser wrote:
CockRoche wrote:I don't think this is "pricey" at all.

I loved when he was aggressive and moved into the play as a 'rover', to be successful I'd like to see him do more of that. What I didn't love was his defensive zone play, but he can continue to improve on that.

I heard about the hernia issues yesterday for the first time and that sheds a whole new light on things.

That is what Campoli does when healthy. I think you will see mouch more of that this season...all season. He has an enormous amount of offensive blood flowing through him.

CockRoche

CockRoche
Veteran
Veteran

asq2 wrote:Good news, even if it is a little pricey. When this guy is on his game he's a very good defenceman. He and Carkner are perfect as the third-pairing tandem.

Phillips - Gonchar
Kuba - Karlsson
Campoli - Carkner
*Lee

Cowen gets his year in the WHL to sort stuff out offensively, Wiercioch adjusts to life as a first-year pro in the AHL and Rundblad plays under Forsberg in Skelleftea.

This is a much better situation on defence than I think anybody could have expected.

Yep. I am so happy. That is exactly the top six I wanted for this season.

Our future success has our prospects learning in starring and leadership roles with their own respective AHL, CHL or overseas clubs.

Perfect in my mind.

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

beerandsens wrote:

All year long. He had a surgery at the end of the season.

CockRoche

CockRoche
Veteran
Veteran

marakh wrote:
beerandsens wrote:

All year long. He had a surgery at the end of the season.

Yep, I think I said that and I know I said that the time off with his knee injury in February really helped take away a lot of the pain from the hernia. Almost like Spezza with his back - time off from one injury can help heal other lingering ones.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

It's no accident that he only signed for one year. Campoli will earn a 3 million dollar payday this season. Book it.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

SeawaySensFan wrote:It's no accident that he only signed for one year. Campoli will earn a 3 million dollar payday this season. Book it.

I've changed my stance a little on Campoli (a lot actually) now that we know he played last year with a sports hernia. I think when the inevitable happens and one of the top 4 D-men go down to injury, Campoli might be able to finally show everyone why Murray paid a 1st rounder to get him.

This could happen early in the year too, so we might have something extra to look forward to.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

SpezDispenser wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:It's no accident that he only signed for one year. Campoli will earn a 3 million dollar payday this season. Book it.

I've changed my stance a little on Campoli (a lot actually) now that we know he played last year with a sports hernia. I think when the inevitable happens and one of the top 4 D-men go down to injury, Campoli might be able to finally show everyone why Murray paid a 1st rounder to get him.

This could happen early in the year too, so we might have something extra to look forward to.

Well, I don't know if you've acknowledged this but Karlsson played some of his best hockey with Campoli when they both played top minutes. And he was injured? Yikes.

Make that 4 million. Campoli signs 1-year deal for $1.4M, avoids arbitration - Page 2 159628

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

SeawaySensFan wrote:
Well, I don't know if you've acknowledged this but Karlsson played some of his best hockey with Campoli when they both played top minutes. And he was injured? Yikes.

Make that 4 million. Campoli signs 1-year deal for $1.4M, avoids arbitration - Page 2 159628

I didn't realize that, no. I guess that was one of those things that happened last year when Kuba went down for the count. Again, looking forward to seeing what Campoli can do. They thoughts of him getting 3 million are a little premature, but if he and Karlsson get to see significant ice together, his stock will indeed rise quite dramatically.

Sophomore
Sophomore

at 26 years old and 5 seasons in the NHL with a one year contract, it is now or never for Campoli. With the d-men we have waiting in the wings, he either becomes an NHL defencemen (gets more than 18 points and 16 pim) or goodbye. 1.4 million is a lot of money for anyone-time to actually earn it.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

111519 wrote:at 26 years old and 5 seasons in the NHL with a one year contract, it is now or never for Campoli. With the d-men we have waiting in the wings, he either becomes an NHL defencemen (gets more than 18 points and 16 pim) or goodbye. 1.4 million is a lot of money for anyone-time to actually earn it.

Exactly.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum