GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

DEAL VOIDED BY ARBITRATOR! Kovalchuk re-signs in Jersey: $102M over 17 years

+17
Amnesia021
SensGirl11
TheAvatar
SeawaySensFan
SensHulk
cash
PTFlea
CockRoche
Hoags
dennycrane
rooneypoo
smash88
asq2
Riprock
shabbs
Cap'n Clutch
wprager
21 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Where will Kovalchuk end up?

DEAL VOIDED BY ARBITRATOR! Kovalchuk re-signs in Jersey: $102M over 17 years - Page 6 Vote_lcap250%DEAL VOIDED BY ARBITRATOR! Kovalchuk re-signs in Jersey: $102M over 17 years - Page 6 Vote_rcap2 50% [ 2 ]
DEAL VOIDED BY ARBITRATOR! Kovalchuk re-signs in Jersey: $102M over 17 years - Page 6 Vote_lcap225%DEAL VOIDED BY ARBITRATOR! Kovalchuk re-signs in Jersey: $102M over 17 years - Page 6 Vote_rcap2 25% [ 1 ]
DEAL VOIDED BY ARBITRATOR! Kovalchuk re-signs in Jersey: $102M over 17 years - Page 6 Vote_lcap20%DEAL VOIDED BY ARBITRATOR! Kovalchuk re-signs in Jersey: $102M over 17 years - Page 6 Vote_rcap2 0% [ 0 ]
DEAL VOIDED BY ARBITRATOR! Kovalchuk re-signs in Jersey: $102M over 17 years - Page 6 Vote_lcap20%DEAL VOIDED BY ARBITRATOR! Kovalchuk re-signs in Jersey: $102M over 17 years - Page 6 Vote_rcap2 0% [ 0 ]
DEAL VOIDED BY ARBITRATOR! Kovalchuk re-signs in Jersey: $102M over 17 years - Page 6 Vote_lcap225%DEAL VOIDED BY ARBITRATOR! Kovalchuk re-signs in Jersey: $102M over 17 years - Page 6 Vote_rcap2 25% [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 4

Go down  Message [Page 6 of 10]

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

DownGoesBrown reveals Kovalchuk's contract Smile

http://www.downgoesbrown.com/2010/07/leaked-ilya-kovalchuks-contract.html

shabbs

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Lou had some interesting comments today... actually distancing himself from this contract suggesting this was a decision that came from "above him" and not something he would have done.

Interesting.

CockRoche

Veteran
Veteran

shabbs wrote:Lou had some interesting comments today... actually distancing himself from this contract suggesting this was a decision that came from "above him" and not something he would have done.

Interesting.

Does Lamoriello not want Kovalchuk? If he wants him, he better learn to keep it zipped or the NHL will have a case to prove that they made that contract with the intent to circumvent the cap.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

CockRoche wrote:
shabbs wrote:Lou had some interesting comments today... actually distancing himself from this contract suggesting this was a decision that came from "above him" and not something he would have done.

Interesting.

Does Lamoriello not want Kovalchuk? If he wants him, he better learn to keep it zipped or the NHL will have a case to prove that they made that contract with the intent to circumvent the cap.
I don't know... I'm sure he wants him... but not under these circumstances. Very odd to hear him speak out like that. He's usually very calculating with his words, and rarely speaks out.

CockRoche

CockRoche
Veteran
Veteran

shabbs wrote:
CockRoche wrote:

Interesting.

I don't know... I'm sure he wants him... but not under these circumstances. Very odd to hear him speak out like that. He's usually very calculating with his words, and rarely speaks out.

Agreed, which makes me think he is looking for a way out for some reason.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

I love it how HB's banned word filter dealt with the story. This is the headline as it appears there:

NHL rejects Ilya Kovalchuk contract for cir*****venting salary cap

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

The NHLPA is expected to officially file a grievance today with the NHL over the rejection of Kovalchuk's contract.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

NHLPA did indeed file. More info here:

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=328558

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

The NHLPA will win that grievance I think - and I also think Lou knows it.

What precedence is there for the league to nix the deal? Hossa's gonna be close to the same age, Luongo, Pronger etc.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

SpezDispenser wrote:The NHLPA will win that grievance I think - and I also think Lou knows it.

What precedence is there for the league to nix the deal? Hossa's gonna be close to the same age, Luongo, Pronger etc.
Yeah, for sure. The Arbitrator will look at the CBA and will have to agree with the NHLPA. Unless the NHL can prove there were discussions about retiring early with agreements that he would... they are out of luck.

I think this is all just posturing and setting the table for the next CBA negotiation. I have a feeling the NHL knew this was going to go down like this and are just making an example of it all.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

shabbs wrote:
Yeah, for sure. The Arbitrator will look at the CBA and will have to agree with the NHLPA. Unless the NHL can prove there were discussions about retiring early with agreements that he would... they are out of luck.

I think this is all just posturing and setting the table for the next CBA negotiation. I have a feeling the NHL knew this was going to go down like this and are just making an example of it all.

I think Lou's a part of the NHL's campaign to get rid of these kind of contracts IIRC. It'll be hilarious to see him get enough votes to abolish it next CBA knowing full well that he got away with one.

Seriously though, how many teams take advantage before they stop it? 10?

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Well, if the arbitrator upholds the contract, we may see a few more cranked out while they can. If this one is "kosher" there's no stopping it until the rules change.

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

Well there's risks involved in signing such contracts.

Kovalchuk(and other players who signed similar deals) could suffer a career debilitating injury that drastically lowers their performance.

Teams stuck with them for up to 17 years.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Hoags wrote:Well there's risks involved in signing such contracts.

Kovalchuk(and other players who signed similar deals) could suffer a career debilitating injury that drastically lowers their performance.

DiPietro says what?

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

shabbs wrote:
Hoags wrote:Well there's risks involved in signing such contracts.

DiPietro says what?

Are you saying the Isles wouldn't be better off if diPietro's contract disappeared and they spent that money on a real goalie who can actually play a full season ? (Same with Yashin's buyout).

If they were a team that spent to the limit they'd be SOL.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Hoags wrote:
Are you saying the Isles wouldn't be better off if diPietro's contract disappeared and they spent that money on a real goalie who can actually play a full season ? (Same with Yashin's buyout).

If they were a team that spent to the limit they'd be SOL.

If things pan out the way they're praying they will, they'll be spending to the ceiling soon. Then those two contracts will hurt them pretty bad. That's the reality that they're facing for sure.

what I don't get is how Lou offered the minimum contract on years 15-17.. ya that's the minimum contract now but the league min by then will likely be 1M or so... makes sense to me that NJ can't win this case..

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

DEAL VOIDED BY ARBITRATOR! Kovalchuk re-signs in Jersey: $102M over 17 years - Page 6 SeriousCat-758888

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 6 of 10]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum