GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

DEAL VOIDED BY ARBITRATOR! Kovalchuk re-signs in Jersey: $102M over 17 years

+17
Amnesia021
SensGirl11
TheAvatar
SeawaySensFan
SensHulk
cash
PTFlea
CockRoche
Hoags
dennycrane
rooneypoo
smash88
asq2
Riprock
shabbs
Cap'n Clutch
wprager
21 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Where will Kovalchuk end up?

DEAL VOIDED BY ARBITRATOR! Kovalchuk re-signs in Jersey: $102M over 17 years - Page 9 Vote_lcap250%DEAL VOIDED BY ARBITRATOR! Kovalchuk re-signs in Jersey: $102M over 17 years - Page 9 Vote_rcap2 50% [ 2 ]
DEAL VOIDED BY ARBITRATOR! Kovalchuk re-signs in Jersey: $102M over 17 years - Page 9 Vote_lcap225%DEAL VOIDED BY ARBITRATOR! Kovalchuk re-signs in Jersey: $102M over 17 years - Page 9 Vote_rcap2 25% [ 1 ]
DEAL VOIDED BY ARBITRATOR! Kovalchuk re-signs in Jersey: $102M over 17 years - Page 9 Vote_lcap20%DEAL VOIDED BY ARBITRATOR! Kovalchuk re-signs in Jersey: $102M over 17 years - Page 9 Vote_rcap2 0% [ 0 ]
DEAL VOIDED BY ARBITRATOR! Kovalchuk re-signs in Jersey: $102M over 17 years - Page 9 Vote_lcap20%DEAL VOIDED BY ARBITRATOR! Kovalchuk re-signs in Jersey: $102M over 17 years - Page 9 Vote_rcap2 0% [ 0 ]
DEAL VOIDED BY ARBITRATOR! Kovalchuk re-signs in Jersey: $102M over 17 years - Page 9 Vote_lcap225%DEAL VOIDED BY ARBITRATOR! Kovalchuk re-signs in Jersey: $102M over 17 years - Page 9 Vote_rcap2 25% [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 4

Go down  Message [Page 9 of 10]

SensGirl11

Mod
Mod

Toronto? Is that a possibility?

shabbs

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

SensGirl11 wrote:Toronto? Is that a possibility?
No, he's not truculent enough.

Wink

shabbs

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

2nd deal rejected?

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=331620

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

Reading Tweets about a 15 yr, $100M deal that should be accepted by NHL.

And just as I post this, Dreger contradicts everyone on Twitter.

SensGirl11

SensGirl11
Mod
Mod

Dash wrote:Reading Tweets about a 15 yr, $100M deal that should be accepted by NHL.

And just as I post this, Dreger contradicts everyone on Twitter.

I don't know how they could accept this deal, unless it'll pay him the same amount or close to for every year. It still doesn't look like it could work, unless they're willing to absorb a very high cap hit for the first 10 years.

SensGirl11

SensGirl11
Mod
Mod

This deal would pay him 6.66per.

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=331817

TSN, according to Yahoo and ESPN, says deal is approved, though as of 3PM NHL hadn't said they approved it.

LOL @ $6.66M for a Devil

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

6.66 is a lot of money per year for 15 years, but at least it's under 7. Damn. But I hope this hampers the Devils for years to come.

cash

Sophomore
Sophomore

If he has another 3-4 years at the league minimum, I'm going to be pissed...

SensGirl11

SensGirl11
Mod
Mod

Oh, I'm sure it'll be a problem for them. They have Parise to sign next year, if he doesn't ask for 7 himself I'll be surprised. They're paying the A-Train 4.25, Brodeur, Rolston, Arnott...etc...

They have 3.69 in space at the moment. I don't know how they're going to pull this off, for now and the future.

Next year Parise is up, Arnott which will be good for them coming off the books with his 4.5. Langenbrunner is up for re-neg as well. & they'll be short 2 D-men as 3 of them are up only 1 of which is a UFA in Greene (Andy).

SensGirl11

SensGirl11
Mod
Mod

+ They'll need a backup if they don't re-sign Hedberg.

SensGirl11

SensGirl11
Mod
Mod

My bad, they only have 8 NHL caliber forwards signed right now. and 5 NHL caliber D-men.

SensGirl11

SensGirl11
Mod
Mod

cash wrote:If he has another 3-4 years at the league minimum, I'm going to be pissed...

They won't allow it, I'd almost be willing to put money on it. Look at the other deals that were signed beyond 40 years old.

Pronger is being paid $4M the year he turns 40 and then .525 for the final 2 seasons. They have his cap hit at 4.9 until 2016-2017

Savard's deal might be one I would look at again as his cap hit goes down quite significantly in the final 3 years of his contract. BUT that one ENDS when he's 40. No biggie there, IMO. With the final 2 seasons also paying him .525 each. Cap hit is showing 4.0 until the end of his contract on Cap Geek.

Hossa gets $1M for each of the final 4 seasons of his contract. They'll probably try to model it around his. But, they have his cap hit at 5.275 until 2020-2021.

I don't know if I'm reading cap geek wrong but that's how they have it spread out, they have salary at .525, but cap hits at 4, 5.27 & 4.9...I don't really know if that's how it is structured for them...

SensHulk

SensHulk
All-Star
All-Star

Dash wrote:http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=331817

TSN, according to Yahoo and ESPN, says deal is approved, though as of 3PM NHL hadn't said they approved it.

LOL @ $6.66M for a Devil

haha that's too coincidental. Its gotta be a planned PR number. The 17 year contract for #17 didn't pan out so well, but this might as...what was his cap hit last time?

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

So, rumour is $100M for 15 years. Will be interesting to see the structure.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Rumour has it the deal will be approved. Caphit of the Beast, here we come.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

I assume the "drop off" at the end is less severe now. 15 years takes him to 42 instead of 44 previously. Not a huge change.

SensGirl11

SensGirl11
Mod
Mod

It could all be over today.

The NHL has until 5pm Eastern to render a verdict on the latest contract offer between the New Jersey Devils and Ilya Kovalchuk. The league must either approve the 15-year, $100 million deal or reject it.

If the NHL turns it down, it would be the second time a long-term deal between Kovalchuk and the Devils had been rejected. The NHLPA would then have another five day window to file a grievance, something they did once before when the league chose not to allow the original 17-year, $102 million contract the Devils gave the Russian sniper.

If the NHL chooses to reject the deal, then the very real possibility exists that Kovalchuk will sign in the KHL, likely with SKA St. Petersburg which is believed to have offered Kovalchuk an enormous deal to return to his homeland to play. Kovalchuk's agent has made it clear that if his client signs in Russia, he will remain there for at least one full season.

Should the NHL allow the contract then the Devils will have to quickly shed about $3 million to get under the league's mandated salary cap of $59.4 million.

Even if the deal is accepted, the possibility also exists that the Devils could be fined or penalized for their role in the saga.

The sticking point of the original rejected deal appeared to be front loading of the contract and the length of the deal. The league has stated that they believe the Devils deliberately circumvented the cap and that the Devils did not expect Kovalchuk to play out the entirety of the deal. The now 27-year old would have been 44-years old when the deal expired and would have been playing for the league minimum. Under the terms of the new deal, Kovalchuk would instead be 42-years old when the contract expires, earning a base salary of $4 million in his final year.

The former Rocket Richard trophy winner had 41 goals and 44 assists in 76 games last season, split between the Devils and the Atlanta Thrashers.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 9 of 10]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum