GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Gonchar to Ottawa

+24
TheAvatar
Flo The Action
SeawaySensFan
stempniaksen
Hoags
dennycrane
Devo
Hockeyhero22000
CockRoche
SensHulk
SDH89
shabbs
wprager
LeCaptain
SensFan71
Cap'n Clutch
beerandsens
Ev
asq2
SensGirl11
Sens4thecup
Riprock
PKC
PTFlea
28 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 16 ... 20  Next

Go down  Message [Page 12 of 20]

166Gonchar to Ottawa - Page 12 Empty Re: Gonchar to Ottawa Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:40 pm

N4L wrote:
hemlock wrote:
marakh wrote:
hemlock wrote:
N4L wrote:That's why he was signed, to score goals. That's it, that's all. That's what he does. If he doesnt do it, it sucks, but The Sens did sign Butler to score some goals.

Wick, he's the wild card but with Cullen leaving, he has a real shot at sticking in Ottawa.

That's my point. Murray is taking an awful risk here by banking on these two. This could come crashing down hard. If we don't have guys playing well up front, it makes the Gonchar signing even less appealing.

Seriously, who wouldn't want a top line player? Who other than Kovalchuk is out there? Don't you think Burke would have given contracts right and left if there was one available? Unless you want to trade Karlsson and REgin in a package.
ONe thing to want one, another to get it.

Bobby Ryan.

Sure it would take a bunch of picks but the 2011 draft is shaping up to be weak. Put in an offer and see what happens. Other than that, you are right in that there isn't much available FA wise, but then again, I also don't think you need to pacakge both Regin and Karlsson for one.

Kariya is another guy who could come in on the cheap if he hangs around unsigned long enough. He's not a first line answer, but he's a better answer imo than most of what we've got, at least right now.

Dont know about that one... Foligno would be a better option the him right now. That's the other guy we havnt really talked about, he is a potential 20 goal guy and almost got there 2 years ago.

We'll see but the Gonchar signing helps The Sens more than any player on the market right now or IMO, through trade. The only other guy I would like to see land in Ottawa is Penner.

Foligno has some upside sure. That's why I said most of what we have.

167Gonchar to Ottawa - Page 12 Empty Re: Gonchar to Ottawa Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:40 pm

I think the Gonchar move is more to give the youth time to develop and learn the game as opposed to just throwing them into the fire. Also, if Gonchar is producing at a good pace for the next 3 years The Sens will get a 4th out of him for a relativly cheap cost because of The Olympics.

168Gonchar to Ottawa - Page 12 Empty Re: Gonchar to Ottawa Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:46 pm

N4L wrote:I think the Gonchar move is more to give the youth time to develop and learn the game as opposed to just throwing them into the fire. Also, if Gonchar is producing at a good pace for the next 3 years The Sens will get a 4th out of him for a relativly cheap cost because of The Olympics.

Why are the Olympics being brought up? People want to say that he'll be productive because of Sochi. Perhaps not. His body will break down, that's a fact of life. He may not be good enough to play in Sochi or earn $5.5 per from the Sens by then, and it could very well be despite his best efforts to the contrary. That's what happens to athletes in their geriatric years...

169Gonchar to Ottawa - Page 12 Empty Re: Gonchar to Ottawa Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:50 pm

The Olympics are being brought up because there is no risk of him retirering and his drive to be ready will indeed be there. Also, that 4th year that he hasnt signed for could be a blessing for The Sens down the road.

170Gonchar to Ottawa - Page 12 Empty Re: Gonchar to Ottawa Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:06 pm

N4L wrote:The Olympics are being brought up because there is no risk of him retirering and his drive to be ready will indeed be there. Also, that 4th year that he hasnt signed for could be a blessing for The Sens down the road.

Saying there is no risk is simply not true. If he declines to the point where he's not even a realistic option for Russia, he may just abandon the idea altogether. With a player this age, there are no guarantees imo. That's my problem with the term (although without 3 years I don't think Murray lands him).

171Gonchar to Ottawa - Page 12 Empty Re: Gonchar to Ottawa Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:24 pm

Hockeyhero22000

Hockeyhero22000
Veteran
Veteran

my biggest concern with this is the NTC would also prefer 2 than 3 years but as hem said without that third year murray doesnt land him but he will increase our production from our forwards and help offense defense does worry me a bit but i have faith that this team can be very competative

172Gonchar to Ottawa - Page 12 Empty Re: Gonchar to Ottawa Thu Jul 01, 2010 5:17 pm

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Ole! Ole! Ole! GONCHAR Ole! Ole! Ole!

Verry happy

(i know i'm late but i had to work)
Ole!

173Gonchar to Ottawa - Page 12 Empty Re: Gonchar to Ottawa Thu Jul 01, 2010 5:35 pm

hemlock wrote:
marakh wrote:
hemlock wrote:
N4L wrote:That's why he was signed, to score goals. That's it, that's all. That's what he does. If he doesnt do it, it sucks, but The Sens did sign Butler to score some goals.

Wick, he's the wild card but with Cullen leaving, he has a real shot at sticking in Ottawa.

That's my point. Murray is taking an awful risk here by banking on these two. This could come crashing down hard. If we don't have guys playing well up front, it makes the Gonchar signing even less appealing.

Seriously, who wouldn't want a top line player? Who other than Kovalchuk is out there? Don't you think Burke would have given contracts right and left if there was one available? Unless you want to trade Karlsson and REgin in a package.
ONe thing to want one, another to get it.

Bobby Ryan.

Sure it would take a bunch of picks but the 2011 draft is shaping up to be weak. Put in an offer and see what happens. Other than that, you are right in that there isn't much available FA wise, but then again, I also don't think you need to pacakge both Regin and Karlsson for one.

Kariya is another guy who could come in on the cheap if he hangs around unsigned long enough. He's not a first line answer, but he's a better answer imo than most of what we've got, at least right now.
Two things with Bobby Ryan. You'll have to offer 7M per year which includes 4 1st round picks or Anaheim matches. The other thing is that making an offer on him pretty much guarantees someone comes back at you in the next couple years, maybe Karlsson, maybe Cowen, etc... These GMs don't forget who tried to screw them.
I think Ryan has already turned down a 5 x 5M deal from Anaheim, so it'll cost a ton of cash as well as probably Karlsson, Regin and a 1st next year to get him, he is that good.

As for Kariya, there is no gas left in that tank. Please watch some St. Louis games from this year. He is a shadow of his former self.

174Gonchar to Ottawa - Page 12 Empty Re: Gonchar to Ottawa Thu Jul 01, 2010 5:40 pm

Hockeyhero22000

Hockeyhero22000
Veteran
Veteran

I do want to thank hem for bringing up his concerns but i still think there is more positive than negative to this but hem had really made us stop and look at the negatives to what this brings

175Gonchar to Ottawa - Page 12 Empty Re: Gonchar to Ottawa Thu Jul 01, 2010 5:46 pm

Hockeyhero22000 wrote:I do want to thank hem for bringing up his concerns but i still think there is more positive than negative to this but hem had really made us stop and look at the negatives to what this brings
There is always some negatives when signing UFAs. By the structure of the system, every UFA signing is going to be overpaying in term and salary as well as NTC/NMCs. Not one of today's signings comes without risk, not one.

176Gonchar to Ottawa - Page 12 Empty Re: Gonchar to Ottawa Thu Jul 01, 2010 5:54 pm

Hockeyhero22000

Hockeyhero22000
Veteran
Veteran

RobbyJ wrote:
Hockeyhero22000 wrote:I do want to thank hem for bringing up his concerns but i still think there is more positive than negative to this but hem had really made us stop and look at the negatives to what this brings
There is always some negatives when signing UFAs. By the structure of the system, every UFA signing is going to be overpaying in term and salary as well as NTC/NMCs. Not one of today's signings comes without risk, not one.

Quiet true all these signings come with risk but we sometimes do have a tendancy to view these things one sidely and not examine from all angles but with Hem's skepticism we at least hear another angle that some of may not have considered

177Gonchar to Ottawa - Page 12 Empty Re: Gonchar to Ottawa Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:18 pm

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Gonchar to Ottawa - Page 12 Goncharott

178Gonchar to Ottawa - Page 12 Empty Re: Gonchar to Ottawa Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:19 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Ahhhhh! I love it.

179Gonchar to Ottawa - Page 12 Empty Re: Gonchar to Ottawa Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:20 pm

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Just an FYI, I didn't make that Smile

180Gonchar to Ottawa - Page 12 Empty Re: Gonchar to Ottawa Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:23 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Still neat.

181Gonchar to Ottawa - Page 12 Empty Re: Gonchar to Ottawa Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:32 pm

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Yeah, he looks good in a Sens uni...still undecided as to what Sens jersey I will get this year. I need a new one and I may just have to get a Sarge jersey.

182Gonchar to Ottawa - Page 12 Empty Re: Gonchar to Ottawa Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:34 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Big Ev wrote:Yeah, he looks good in a Sens uni...still undecided as to what Sens jersey I will get this year. I need a new one and I may just have to get a Sarge jersey.

Hmmm...limited life span though.

183Gonchar to Ottawa - Page 12 Empty Re: Gonchar to Ottawa Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:36 pm

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

I'd love to get a Lehner but that's still years away.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 12 of 20]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 16 ... 20  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum