GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

FA Tracker! ALL things Free Agency!

+30
Number Twenty Nine
sandysensfan
spader
NEELY
22_4_ever
tim1_2
Straight Shooter
Amnesia021
Cap'n Clutch
asq2
ddt
Hoags
beerandsens
SensGirl11
SDH89
LeCaptain
Hockeyhero22000
M_Christopher
sens4win
Riprock
SensFan71
wprager
shabbs
SeawaySensFan
Flo The Action
Ev
dennycrane
SensHulk
rooneypoo
PTFlea
34 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 27 ... 50, 51, 52 ... 59 ... 67  Next

Go down  Message [Page 51 of 67]

751FA Tracker!  ALL things Free Agency! - Page 51 Empty Re: FA Tracker! ALL things Free Agency! Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:15 pm

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I would still take Rozsival without being too unhappy. I mean...we need some offense from back there if Lundin can't provide it.

752FA Tracker!  ALL things Free Agency! - Page 51 Empty Re: FA Tracker! ALL things Free Agency! Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:19 pm

rooneypoo

All-Star
All-Star

SpezDispenser wrote:I would still take Rozsival without being too unhappy. I mean...we need some offense from back there if Lundin can't provide it.

The Lundin signing still makes zero sense to me. Let's say he can play the right side; well, why not bring in another RH shot back there? We've only got one at the moment, out of 7 D. Let's say he can't play the right side; well, then you just made sure Boro doesn't get any substantial NHL time this year, and you still have to go out and sign another D to play that final pairing.

I really can't think of any reason why you sign this guy.

753FA Tracker!  ALL things Free Agency! - Page 51 Empty Re: FA Tracker! ALL things Free Agency! Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:21 pm

spader

All-Star
All-Star

rooneypoo wrote:
spader wrote:
rooneypoo wrote:
spader wrote:
rooneypoo wrote:
NEELY wrote:I don't think he's much of a question mark. If he can play he will score 25 goals (82 game pace) min. I have always, always liked him. Playing a guy who can skate, shoot, and hit with Spezza... could be an absolute steal.

If you are trying to have a debate with me about Latendresse Rooney, prob not the right person because there is nothing about his game I dislike. Nothing. Think he slips into the top 6 right away and probably leads the Sens in goals if he stays healthy.

What I don't like is 27 games played in the last 2 years. If you don't see any potential for a problem there, then you are just burying your head in the sand on this one. I get liking a player and his potential, but I don't get denying that this guy is 100% a question mark at this stage.

Again, I think we have to put some faith in the medical staff and assume that, since he passed his physical, he's healthy at the moment. Whether he stays healthy is another story. I'm in the "wait and see but lean on the positive" side of this, I guess.

Like anyone, I'm hoping for the best. But let's not rush to appoint him a 25-goal-scorer and a lock for the top 6 just yet.

On its own, the move is relatively risk free -- not a lot a money, and a 1 year deal. But on its own, it's not the solution to our long-standing need for a clear, bona fide top 3 winger, and it's not clear that he's the solution for the short term either, given the injury history. If he's just one piece, and we're adding another winger via trade or free agency, I like it. If he's all we're adding, I'm not thrilled, at all.

I think he's meant as a stop-gap while one or some of ZBad, Stone, and Silf work into the top-six. I don't think he's meant to be a long-term solution at all (which is clear from the term). Of course, he may wind up being healthy and productive for the majority of the year and earn another contract with more term.

I'm sure that they aren't done, but I'm ok with the moves that they've made so far.

You did read the sentence that came right after the one you bolded, right? Because that addresses exactly the point you followed up with...

I was just expanding on your point. No, he's not a long-term solution, but would anyone think that a player on a one-year contract would be? The fact that he isn't a long-term solution isn't exactly breaking news. As far as a short-term solution goes, he'll be a stop-gap as long as he's healthy. That's all. He's there to insulate and/or fill-in while the top-six prospects fight their way into the lineup.

754FA Tracker!  ALL things Free Agency! - Page 51 Empty Re: FA Tracker! ALL things Free Agency! Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:22 pm

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

rooneypoo wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:I would still take Rozsival without being too unhappy. I mean...we need some offense from back there if Lundin can't provide it.

The Lundin signing still makes zero sense to me. Let's say he can play the right side; well, why not bring in another RH shot back there? We've only got one at the moment, out of 7 D. Let's say he can't play the right side; well, then you just made sure Boro doesn't get any substantial NHL time this year, and you still have to go out and sign another D to play that final pairing.

Maybe it's in preparation for another move? Shrug Lot's of FA left.

755FA Tracker!  ALL things Free Agency! - Page 51 Empty Re: FA Tracker! ALL things Free Agency! Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:23 pm

SensHulk

SensHulk
All-Star
All-Star

The Diddle's happening with Parise and suter??? Been long enough already.

756FA Tracker!  ALL things Free Agency! - Page 51 Empty Re: FA Tracker! ALL things Free Agency! Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:24 pm

NEELY

Mod
Mod

rooneypoo wrote:

Easy guy to sign for one year just to provide depth needed at the position. You want to give a guy like Borowiecki every chance to make it and be an NHLer but there's no gaurantee he will be totally ready.

Basically, very short term insurance. No D man that is dependable enough or good enough would sigh a 1 year deal like that. Lundin is decent and will be the 6, 7 guy with Borowiecki.

757FA Tracker!  ALL things Free Agency! - Page 51 Empty Re: FA Tracker! ALL things Free Agency! Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:25 pm

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

spader wrote:
rooneypoo wrote:
spader wrote:
rooneypoo wrote:
spader wrote:
rooneypoo wrote:
NEELY wrote:I don't think he's much of a question mark. If he can play he will score 25 goals (82 game pace) min. I have always, always liked him. Playing a guy who can skate, shoot, and hit with Spezza... could be an absolute steal.

If you are trying to have a debate with me about Latendresse Rooney, prob not the right person because there is nothing about his game I dislike. Nothing. Think he slips into the top 6 right away and probably leads the Sens in goals if he stays healthy.

What I don't like is 27 games played in the last 2 years. If you don't see any potential for a problem there, then you are just burying your head in the sand on this one. I get liking a player and his potential, but I don't get denying that this guy is 100% a question mark at this stage.

Again, I think we have to put some faith in the medical staff and assume that, since he passed his physical, he's healthy at the moment. Whether he stays healthy is another story. I'm in the "wait and see but lean on the positive" side of this, I guess.

Like anyone, I'm hoping for the best. But let's not rush to appoint him a 25-goal-scorer and a lock for the top 6 just yet.

On its own, the move is relatively risk free -- not a lot a money, and a 1 year deal. But on its own, it's not the solution to our long-standing need for a clear, bona fide top 3 winger, and it's not clear that he's the solution for the short term either, given the injury history. If he's just one piece, and we're adding another winger via trade or free agency, I like it. If he's all we're adding, I'm not thrilled, at all.

I think he's meant as a stop-gap while one or some of ZBad, Stone, and Silf work into the top-six. I don't think he's meant to be a long-term solution at all (which is clear from the term). Of course, he may wind up being healthy and productive for the majority of the year and earn another contract with more term.

I'm sure that they aren't done, but I'm ok with the moves that they've made so far.

You did read the sentence that came right after the one you bolded, right? Because that addresses exactly the point you followed up with...

I was just expanding on your point. No, he's not a long-term solution, but would anyone think that a player on a one-year contract would be? The fact that he isn't a long-term solution isn't exactly breaking news. As far as a short-term solution goes, he'll be a stop-gap as long as he's healthy. That's all. He's there to insulate and/or fill-in while the top-six prospects fight their way into the lineup.

And as long as my uncle has a penis, he won't be my aunt.

My whole point is that the guy is a question mark, whereas Foligno was a certainty.

758FA Tracker!  ALL things Free Agency! - Page 51 Empty Re: FA Tracker! ALL things Free Agency! Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:26 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

rooneypoo wrote:

The only reason I can think of is that they see a lot of upside with Lundin based on his 45 points in 82 games in the AHL. I guess they like him...I don't see it personally, but I assume they see something in him that we don't.

Last edited by SpezDispenser on Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:26 pm; edited 1 time in total

759FA Tracker!  ALL things Free Agency! - Page 51 Empty Re: FA Tracker! ALL things Free Agency! Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:26 pm

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Foligno had one pretty good year, in a contract year. He wasn't really a sure thing either.

760FA Tracker!  ALL things Free Agency! - Page 51 Empty Re: FA Tracker! ALL things Free Agency! Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:28 pm

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

NEELY wrote:
rooneypoo wrote:

Easy guy to sign for one year just to provide depth needed at the position. You want to give a guy like Borowiecki every chance to make it and be an NHLer but there's no gaurantee he will be totally ready.

Basically, very short term insurance. No D man that is dependable enough or good enough would sigh a 1 year deal like that. Lundin is decent and will be the 6, 7 guy with Borowiecki.

But we're gearing up to play the year with one RH shot back there. Why did we set ourselves up so that we have 2 lefty Ds fighting over one right-pairing spot?

Our needs were clear. Getting Lundin doesn't really fill any of them.

761FA Tracker!  ALL things Free Agency! - Page 51 Empty Re: FA Tracker! ALL things Free Agency! Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:29 pm

NEELY

Mod
Mod

Big Ev wrote:Foligno had one pretty good year, in a contract year. He wasn't really a sure thing either.

Foligno could go to Columbus and score 25 goals and 50 points, wouldnt be surprised. He could go to Columbus and score 10 goals and 30 points, wouldn't be surprised. He's a 3rd line player, that's it.

762FA Tracker!  ALL things Free Agency! - Page 51 Empty Re: FA Tracker! ALL things Free Agency! Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:30 pm

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

rooneypoo wrote:
spader wrote:
rooneypoo wrote:
spader wrote:
rooneypoo wrote:
spader wrote:
rooneypoo wrote:

And as long as my uncle has a penis, he won't be my aunt.

My whole point is that the guy is a question mark, whereas Foligno was a certainty.

True. Still, I think this deal provides a lot of mobility. If he's outperformed or injured, he frees up a spot for a Silf or a Stone. They can dump his contract in the AHL or scratch him if necessary. They have a lot more mobility with his contract than they would with Foligno's $3M or whatever deal he signs. The forward ranks are in transition. Whatever Foligno gets, it'll be an overpayment if he was bumped to our 3rd line, IMO.

763FA Tracker!  ALL things Free Agency! - Page 51 Empty Re: FA Tracker! ALL things Free Agency! Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:30 pm

NEELY

Mod
Mod

rooneypoo wrote:
NEELY wrote:
rooneypoo wrote:

But we're gearing up to play the year with one RH shot back there. Why did we set ourselves up so that we have 2 lefty Ds fighting over one right-pairing spot?

Fills a depth guy need. A guy that will be able to play when asked and be counted on for simple mins. Yah, a RH shot would have been good but how many out there would sign a 1 year deal? IMO they probably think Ceci will push for a spot within a year.

764FA Tracker!  ALL things Free Agency! - Page 51 Empty Re: FA Tracker! ALL things Free Agency! Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:31 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

rooneypoo wrote:But we're gearing up to play the year with one RH shot back there. Why did we set ourselves up so that we have 2 lefty Ds fighting over one right-pairing spot?

I agree, and this guy reeks of Alex Picard.

765FA Tracker!  ALL things Free Agency! - Page 51 Empty Re: FA Tracker! ALL things Free Agency! Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:32 pm

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

Big Ev wrote:Foligno had one pretty good year, in a contract year. He wasn't really a sure thing either.

With Foligno, you know what you were getting: a guy who would can stay healthy, who can put up 15+ goals, and who's going to get you 35+ points. Year in and year out.

I don't mind the Methot trade, really -- I expected him to be traded this offseason, to be honest -- but I just don't buy that Latendresse is any where near as established or a dependable commodity as is Foligno. People who are saying that are lying to themselves.

In any event, this team doesn't need a Foligno or a Foligno replacement. It needs an injection of clear top-6 talent.

766FA Tracker!  ALL things Free Agency! - Page 51 Empty Re: FA Tracker! ALL things Free Agency! Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:32 pm

NEELY

Mod
Mod

A 25 year old player is not a stop gap. A 25 year old player is a guy they want to get a really good look at that they feel as high upside. Latendresse wasn't a one and done signing. It's a 1 year tryout.

767FA Tracker!  ALL things Free Agency! - Page 51 Empty Re: FA Tracker! ALL things Free Agency! Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:32 pm

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

Masters says Parise will speak in a few mins:

Mark Masters ‏@markhmasters
Being told Parise will talk to reporters here in about 5 mins

768FA Tracker!  ALL things Free Agency! - Page 51 Empty Re: FA Tracker! ALL things Free Agency! Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:33 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

We're 5 million away from the cap floor with 2 or 3 more spaces open. 1 is O'Brien @ ~1, another is Daugavins @ ~800K, so still 3.2 to get to the floor.

Another righty is coming, or something's coming.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 51 of 67]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 27 ... 50, 51, 52 ... 59 ... 67  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum