GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Should Ottawa Make a Move for Brent Burns?

+4
rooneypoo
SeawaySensFan
SDH89
Jordo
8 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

The concussion concerns are so huge though.

That said, his talent is awesome. I think they want a 1st rounder and a player.

Would people give up our 1st rounder to get Burns?

SeawaySensFan

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

SpezDispenser wrote:The concussion concerns are so huge though.

I'd sooner give up the 1st for Penner. Lee and a 3rd for Burns.

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

SeawaySensFan wrote:

They'd be crazy to take Lee and a 3rd for Burns.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

SpezDispenser wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:

They'd be crazy to take Lee and a 3rd for Burns.

And we'd be crazy to give up more than that. If we had a 2nd, maybe Lee and a 2nd.

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

I dunno. I don't think I could do that. Burns is a huge injury risk, and a first is pretty steep.

I've been pouring over the mock drafts lately, and I'm starting to think that we're almost certain to trade down and pick up a 2nd or something like that. The best players are forecasting to go 1-12, while guys like McFarland and Bennett (and, if you're feeling like rolling the dice, Kubanov) are all forecasting to go in the late first / early second round.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

rooneypoo wrote:
I dunno. I don't think I could do that. Burns is a huge injury risk, and a first is pretty steep.

I've been pouring over the mock drafts lately, and I'm starting to think that we're almost certain to trade down and pick up a 2nd or something like that. The best players are forecasting to go 1-12, while guys like McFarland and Bennett (and, if you're feeling like rolling the dice, Kubanov) are all forecasting to go in the late first / early second round.

I don't think I could do it either personally, but what a mistake if Burns is actually good to go. He could be dominant in the East.

What an intriguing question.. Ahhhhh!

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

Lee is thrown into every Sens proposal, because he is worthless to us, so why would he be valuable to anyone else? Same with O'Brien.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Dash wrote:Lee is thrown into every Sens proposal, because he is worthless to us, so why would he be valuable to anyone else? Same with O'Brien.

Good point! Lee and O'Brien for Burns.

Book it!

Jordo

Jordo
Sophomore
Sophomore

I think we make a move to swap some picks- Minnesota has a bunch of 2nd rounders- and as I said they're looking for cap relief.

What if we do our 1st + Lee
for Burns + late 2nd?

There's a big gap of talent after the top say 10-15 picks in any first round- and to be honest the gamble is just as large in the 2nd round as it is in the late first. I have a lot of faith in our scouting dept.

This isn't a deep draft by any means outside the top 5.

I'm of the belief that if you can get a young, proven player that will contribute to your core for years to come- and you have a higher first round pick- it's not worth the gamble- go with the sure thing.

I'd rather take the injury gamble than the late first round pick gamble, but that's just me. He's still very young and can bounce back from this.

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

if they are looking for some cap relief, then Murray would have to use that to his advantage when bargaining, especially if no other GM is calling about Burns (can't imagine it, but is possible)

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

They want a young top-6 forward for Burns. Minnesota fans I've talked to have stated that the starting point would be Michalek or Regin, if not Spezza (Minny obviously putting Burns in a package).

Obviously there's bias on both sides here, but I'd imagine that they'd know team needs and demands better than we would.

Also, whatever you do, don't propose names like Lee and O'Brien. Wild fans get mad pretty much whenever there's a proposal in which they get a player from Minnesota.

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

asq2 wrote:They want a young top-6 forward for Burns. Minnesota fans I've talked to have stated that the starting point would be Michalek or Regin, if not Spezza (Minny obviously putting Burns in a package).

Obviously there's bias on both sides here, but I'd imagine that they'd know team needs and demands better than we would.

Also, whatever you do, don't propose names like Lee and O'Brien. Wild fans get mad pretty much whenever there's a proposal in which they get a player from Minnesota.

MIN fans had a right to expect a return like this maybe a year or two ago, but not now. After all those concussions, Burns is damaged goods. If something like Foligno+ isn't enough for them, they ought to accept that they're just going to keep him. No one is going to move major assets for someone in Burns' situation.

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

rooneypoo wrote:
asq2 wrote:They want a young top-6 forward for Burns. Minnesota fans I've talked to have stated that the starting point would be Michalek or Regin, if not Spezza (Minny obviously putting Burns in a package).

MIN fans had a right to expect a return like this maybe a year or two ago, but not now. After all those concussions, Burns is damaged goods. If something like Foligno+ isn't enough for them, they ought to accept that they're just going to keep him. No one is going to move major assets for someone in Burns' situation.

agreed, definitely not worthy of Michalek or Regin, Foligno + would be more likely because Foligno still hasn't proven to be a consistent top 6 guy, but still has the possibility of being so. Not sure what the plus would be, but am hoping not the 16th overall pick, like it has been stated, our lack of a 2nd might quash the whole deal, even though this year a 2nd round pick equals a 3rd round pick as well.

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

rooneypoo wrote:If something like Foligno+ isn't enough for them, they ought to accept that they're just going to keep him. No one is going to move major assets for someone in Burns' situation.

They're pretty content with that. I see comments like "Burns is past all his concussion troubles" frequently. I can't really comment on how true they are.

EDIT: I can also see a Wild fan pointing out Michalek's injury issues in this debate.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

That ship has sailed IMO. The perfect swap would have been Horton for Burns - fitting both team's need essentially. Now...Minny has some options, but Burns' value has decreased significantly IMO.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum