GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Should Ottawa Make a Move for Brent Burns?

+4
rooneypoo
SeawaySensFan
SDH89
Jordo
8 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Jordo

Jordo
Sophomore
Sophomore

Let's think about this one- Minnesota is looking to dump salary- and Brent Burns is one of the guys they admit they're dangling.

It will be a pure salary dump, so you'd expect picks and prospects going back the other way.

Yes, I'm aware that we have some high talent coming up through the system in Weircioch and Cowen, and also Karlsson getting some mainstay minutes after his conclusion to 2010.

But Brent Burns is a tremendous talent- I think everyone on this board is aware of him, and at one time or another has salivated at the prospect of obtaining him.

Currently, Ottawa has about 9.4 in cap space... with some signings required, obviously.. and Cheechoo's 3 mil bust contract floating about as well... Assuming we don't overpay anybody on the open market, and give contracts equiv to the following:

Cullen- 3 mil per
Winch 1.5 mil per
Regin 1.5 mil per
Foligno 2 mil per

That's 8 mil we've tied up in forwards with what I believe are reasonable contracts. That leaves us with 13 forwards signed, and 5 D-men. If we can assume Cowen comes up on an entry level, we could potentially use most of the buyout savings to spend on Brent Burns, who has a 3.5 cap.

Just throwing some things out there. I would probably be willing to give our mid round first and throw a bit of salary back in minnesota's boat to get this done. Or maybe even throw them Cheechoo and let them buy him out?

Basically, I just really want Brent Burns-

Imagine our young core moving forward of- Burns, Karlsson, Cowen, and Weircioch.

One question: How does Foligno end up making more than Regin?

Yes. Send Lee, Foligno, and a 2nd in next year's draft for Burns, and trade Kuba to NJ for a 2nd.

Phillips-Karlsson
Burns-Wiercioch/Cowen
Carkner-Campoli

And how does Winchester wind up with 1.5M a season?

SDH89

SDH89
Veteran
Veteran

Dont want him, injuries are far too big of a concern. I do agree, when healthy, a tremendous talent, but seemingly that is quite rare.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

SDH89 wrote:Dont want him, injuries are far too big of a concern. I do agree, when healthy, a tremendous talent, but seemingly that is quite rare.

Pretty much. Lee and a 3rd is what I would offer.

Jordo

Jordo
Sophomore
Sophomore

Gohan wrote:One question: How does Foligno end up making more than Regin?

If Regin gets more than 1.5, that's a horrible deal.

I agree with Winch- he's probably worth less

Foligno > Regin in my opinion- but as everyone knows I hold Foligno in a high regard.

I'm not sure I see what Foligno has done to warrant 2M a season, besides just being young and rewarding him for hard work put in off the ice...

If they're short term deals, then neither should make more than 1.5...

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

I think Jordo's main point was more like "we can expect to pay no more $8 mil combined for these 4 guys, which means we would hypothetically still have room for a guy like Burns." If he's over-estimating the numbers here, that just means he's playing it safe.

The thread invites a conversation on whether or not Burns would be a fit here and a guy we ought to pursue, and not so much an scrutinizing of his hypothetical contracts.

Personally, 2 years ago, I would have been ecstatic about the prospect of adding Burns to our team. He he's missed a LOT of time since then, tho', and that history of concussions is scary. I would probably take a chance on him, but not for anything more than, say, something like Foligno + Lee.

Jordo wrote:
Gohan wrote:One question: How does Foligno end up making more than Regin?

If Regin gets more than 1.5, that's a horrible deal.

I agree with Winch- he's probably worth less

Foligno > Regin in my opinion- but as everyone knows I hold Foligno in a high regard.

That's all well and good, but I dont think he gets 2 mil per year, I also think there is a very real possibility he gets traded.

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

Especially if Cullen is re-signed. Only room for 13 forwards on one-way deals, after all.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

The concussion concerns are so huge though.

That said, his talent is awesome. I think they want a 1st rounder and a player.

Would people give up our 1st rounder to get Burns?

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

SpezDispenser wrote:The concussion concerns are so huge though.

I'd sooner give up the 1st for Penner. Lee and a 3rd for Burns.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

SeawaySensFan wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:The concussion concerns are so huge though.

I'd sooner give up the 1st for Penner. Lee and a 3rd for Burns.

They'd be crazy to take Lee and a 3rd for Burns.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum