GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Rogers sucks; Bell sucks; which one sucks less?

+14
The Silfer Server
LeCaptain
tim1_2
SeawaySensFan
Number Twenty Nine
Vandelay
shabbs
Hoags
Devo
Riprock
Cap'n Clutch
PTFlea
Flo The Action
wprager
18 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20

Go down  Message [Page 20 of 20]

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

https://amp.reddit.com/r/Rogers/comments/ddcahe/rogers_fiber_internet_ftth/

"As of May 13, 2019, we’re starting construction to eventually bring Fibre to the Home (FTTH) to residences throughout Ontario. "

Our home was built in early 2017 (move in date was in March). But we definitely have two identical cables coming in - one white, one black. Inside there is a single strand of fibre. I'm assuming one is Been and there other is Rogers.

Just down the street there is another house with *unhurried* cost cable running from an outside box to the house. We had this in our previous house but that was just during the winter; in late spring Rogers came back and buried the cable. The other house was finished before ours so the unburied cable had been there for more than 3 years!

Makes me wonder if they switched from coax to the home, to fibre better the earlier phase and the last one (when ours was built) and maybe they incorrectly assume the whole street is FTTH and never bothered to send a truck to bury the cable.

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

Well, I'll be stuck with Bell for a while longer.

Called Rogers (to find out what they can offer me in terms of unlimited internet) and, apparently, nothing right now. I need a tech to come out to re-attach the fibre to the plug on the modem and, because of Covid-19 they are not offering any in-house services.

So I called Bell to drop my TV. Apparently the *lowest* unlimited Internet plan they can offer me is $95/month for Fibe 150 (their website shows Fibe 50 unlimited for $75, so not sure why the guy on the phone said Fibe 150 is the lowest they can offer *me*).

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

I was thinking of porting my home number to my mobile and then getting one of those link-to-cell cordless sets where you can port your cell phone to the home set and receive/place calls over your cell but using the home phone handsets. But then I found out that you can only pair 2 cell phones like that. So now I'm thinking of just keeping me home phone number but porting it to a more reasonably priced VOIP service.

Any recommendations?

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

I honestly don't know what you're talking about. I haven't had home phone for years now.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

I got the inevitable call from Bell retention asking what they could do to make me change my mind. They usually do that a day after you call to cancel. To make a long story short, I basically said, unless he was offering to let me keep my current services and pay only for the internet ($95) to save me the trouble of packaging up the equipment being returned, not to bother trying. Basically, for 2 years I've given them the opportunity to *fix* my service; 12 months ago I tried canceling only to find out that I had another year to go -- so they had 12 months after I already said I was thinking of canceling. Nothing in the "offer" meant to keep me aimed at *fixing* the root problems (periodic video signal drop-outs at the PVR, poor WiFi reception in at least one upstairs rooms, intermittent wifi interruption).

During this phone call I also found out that, when they switched me from the three-service bundle to just internet and home phone service, they put me on a home phone service which would have been $81/month!!! It was impossible to determine, from the e-mail confirming the changes, what my going forward monthly fee would be but apparently it would have been $176 ($95 for internet, $81 for home phone). I asked him to repeat that several times. I am going to contact the CRTC about this. Home phone is essential service. I was paying $25/month which included $20 off for the three-service bundling discount, so how can you jump from a $45 service (which is ridiculously overpriced for bare-bones, no caller id, no voice mail, nothing) to $81???! The only possibility I can think of is that they bumped me up from my bare bones plan to a gold plan; sounds like bait-and-switch.

Anyhow, I will still try to figure out why they told me that the $95 150Mbps service was the lowest one they could offer with unlimited internet, when their web page says $80 for 50Mbps is the lowest. And when Covid is resolved and Rogers can send a tech I will probably be switching to their $85 75 Mbps service.

So I went to the SuperStore to talk to the guy in the Mobility Shop about porting my home number over to my Public Mobile plan, but it turns out he only knows how to do that for new accounts and not for existing ones. So I get back home and check out the Public Mobil forum and it turns out you may be able to do this yourself -- just login to your account and click on the "Change Number" link in your profile. That leads to an online form where you can either pick a new number or an existing mobile or landline number. Filled in all the info and it gave me thumbs up -- now I just have to wait, I guess. Over in one of the forum threads they were saying how it takes 2-3 days (during which time I guess your home phone number still works, as does your mobile. One guys said it took upwards of 2 weeks. Weird, but whatever. I guess I could have kept my "landline" and switched to a third party provider (I recall seeing $7/month for unlimited Canad/US) but, honestly, why bother. I like my original Kanata 599 number, and there's not need to keep the other (extra) one. It'll be a little work updating all my contacts and also re-routing all the people who have the old home number (e.g. dentist, doctor, etc.) but I'll handle those one at a time.

Now I need to shop for a new cordless phone set with link-to-cell and a better wifi router, plus instructions on how to re-configure the HomeHub 3000 to work with an external wifi router.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Jesus christ. I pay $40/month for 75Mbps cable service and $0 for cable and $0 for a home phone because those are obsolete. I do pay another $80 per month for mine and my wife's cell phones in a bundle though.

Your tales of woe with bell and rogers have been going on for years.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

tim1_2 wrote:Jesus christ.  I pay $40/month for 75Mbps cable service and $0 for cable and $0 for a home phone because those are obsolete.  I do pay another $80 per month for mine and my wife's cell phones in a bundle though.

I hear a lot of these stories from people in the suburbs.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

I *literally* don't have a viable option. No 3rd party resellers, no Rogers tech to fix the fibre connector. Maybe with 5G there will be enough network capacity that someone could offer a *reasonable* home internet cell service, but even then it's will still be Bell or Rogers or Telus.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Ev wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:Jesus christ.  I pay $40/month for 75Mbps cable service and $0 for cable and $0 for a home phone because those are obsolete.  I do pay another $80 per month for mine and my wife's cell phones in a bundle though.

I hear a lot of these stories from people in the suburbs.

Walter's situation seems somewhat unique, but yeah, people complain non-stop about Rogers and Bell and don't seem to realize all the other alternatives. It's also not limited to the suburbs.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 20 of 20]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum