GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Canucks name Luongo captain?

+5
Mosky
shabbs
smash88
PTFlea
Riprock
9 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 3]

16Canucks name Luongo captain? - Page 2 Empty Re: Canucks name Luongo captain? Tue Sep 30, 2008 3:17 pm

Riprock

All-Star
All-Star

Good points. Then this makes no sense at all... Rolling Eyes

17Canucks name Luongo captain? - Page 2 Empty Re: Canucks name Luongo captain? Tue Sep 30, 2008 3:22 pm

smash88

Veteran
Veteran

DashRiprock wrote:Good points. Then this makes no sense at all... Rolling Eyes

Yeah the Canucks are way out on this one... I've never heard of an NHL team doing something like this, it makes them out to look like such a joke..

18Canucks name Luongo captain? - Page 2 Empty Re: Canucks name Luongo captain? Tue Sep 30, 2008 3:41 pm

shabbs

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

They're allowed to be Captain, but not allowed to wear the "C". Someone will be appointed to deal with the refs during the game.

19Canucks name Luongo captain? - Page 2 Empty Re: Canucks name Luongo captain? Tue Sep 30, 2008 3:41 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

If you hear the live stream cast of it, Willie Mitchell is not impressed - and it's fairly obvious.

20Canucks name Luongo captain? - Page 2 Empty Re: Canucks name Luongo captain? Tue Sep 30, 2008 3:42 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I'm gonna merge these.

21Canucks name Luongo captain? - Page 2 Empty Re: Canucks name Luongo captain? Tue Sep 30, 2008 4:50 pm

Mosky

Mosky
Rookie
Rookie

Wow that's actually the funniest thing i have ever seen in my life... i can't believe they did this..

22Canucks name Luongo captain? - Page 2 Empty Re: Canucks name Luongo captain? Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:23 pm

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

It's clearly a bid to kiss Luongo's @ss and publicly recognize how much he means to the team -- making him "our" guy, the face of the franchise, the team leader. If you ask me, Gillis is planning ahead to the time when he must re-sign Luongo, plain and simple -- and for that reason alone, the move is not entirely stupid.

23Canucks name Luongo captain? - Page 2 Empty Re: Canucks name Luongo captain? Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:26 pm

smash88

smash88
Veteran
Veteran

rooneypoo wrote:It's clearly a bid to kiss Luongo's @ss and publicly recognize how much he means to the team -- making him "our" guy, the face of the franchise, the team leader. If you ask me, Gillis is planning ahead to the time when he must re-sign Luongo, plain and simple -- and for that reason alone, the move is not entirely stupid.

Yeah, it still seems kinda cheesy though...

24Canucks name Luongo captain? - Page 2 Empty Re: Canucks name Luongo captain? Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:28 pm

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

smash88 wrote:

I'd make Luongo captain of my team -- hell, captain of whatever the hell he wants -- if it meant him signing long-term with my team. It might be cheesy, but I totally get it and I don't blame them for trying.

25Canucks name Luongo captain? - Page 2 Empty Re: Canucks name Luongo captain? Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:38 pm

smash88

smash88
Veteran
Veteran

nah, I don't blame them for trying but, i just hope it dosen't backfire either.. Who knows maybe he dosen't even want it and he thinks it's a joke, he may want to get out of there instead...

26Canucks name Luongo captain? - Page 2 Empty Re: Canucks name Luongo captain? Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:57 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

rooneypoo wrote:
smash88 wrote:

I'd make Luongo captain of my team -- hell, captain of whatever the hell he wants -- if it meant him signing long-term with my team. It might be cheesy, but I totally get it and I don't blame them for trying.

Oh me too. If it meant re-signing him I'd make him Mayor. I can see what they're doing, it's cheesy and dumb, but I can see the point.

Me personally, I would've ensured I got some firepower to go with the stud in goal. 2 of my D-men would be on other teams for forwards right now.

27Canucks name Luongo captain? - Page 2 Empty Re: Canucks name Luongo captain? Wed Oct 01, 2008 12:11 am

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

Good PR move to keep his mindset on resigning with Vancouver in the next two years.

28Canucks name Luongo captain? - Page 2 Empty Re: Canucks name Luongo captain? Wed Oct 01, 2008 12:18 am

Acrobat

Acrobat
Veteran
Veteran

What all of you said makes sense, and is probably true, but if Gillis doesn't get off his (Donkey) and get some scoring, I'd bet Luongo leaves for the Southeast in two years.

29Canucks name Luongo captain? - Page 2 Empty Re: Canucks name Luongo captain? Wed Oct 01, 2008 12:22 am

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

It's a lot easier said than done to make trades happen. Especially when everyone in the league knows your roster and sees the HUGE gaping hole you have in scoring forwards. He's gotta hope his scouts bail him out with some great sleeper picks, and that he can take advantage of some GMs.

30Canucks name Luongo captain? - Page 2 Empty Re: Canucks name Luongo captain? Wed Oct 01, 2008 12:35 am

Acrobat

Acrobat
Veteran
Veteran

Agreed, but when Gillis decided to sit on a $10M space in the cap, waiting for Sundin, he basically was saying "we don't need any other forwards".

I'm thinking a better idea would have been to go out and get a few $3-4M players, and then fill the rest of the spots with plugs (and buyouts, which I think most people could see coming, at least from Anaheim and TB)

31Canucks name Luongo captain? - Page 2 Empty Re: Canucks name Luongo captain? Wed Oct 01, 2008 12:37 am

Acrobat

Acrobat
Veteran
Veteran

To add to the above - he should have had a decent feel for the players, given his prior role, and he would have known how they value themselves, and what their insecurities were. He should have been able to play the FA market as well as anyone.

32Canucks name Luongo captain? - Page 2 Empty Re: Canucks name Luongo captain? Wed Oct 01, 2008 12:38 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Acrobat wrote:Agreed, but when Gillis decided to sit on a $10M space in the cap, waiting for Sundin, he basically was saying "we don't need any other forwards".

I'm thinking a better idea would have been to go out and get a few $3-4M players, and then fill the rest of the spots with plugs (and buyouts, which I think most people could see coming, at least from Anaheim and TB)

Yes indeed.

33Canucks name Luongo captain? - Page 2 Empty Re: Canucks name Luongo captain? Fri Oct 03, 2008 8:06 am

smash88

smash88
Veteran
Veteran

504Heater wrote:
Acrobat wrote:Agreed, but when Gillis decided to sit on a $10M space in the cap, waiting for Sundin, he basically was saying "we don't need any other forwards".

Yes indeed.

Is that 10 million dollar offer still on the table??

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum