GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

All Playoff talk all the time.

+20
Urkie
caissie_1
stempniaksen
PKC
SensGirl11
SensHulk
Flo The Action
asq2
SeawaySensFan
rooneypoo
SensGal
SDH89
Cap'n Clutch
Hockeyhero22000
PTFlea
LeCaptain
Ev
Riprock
shabbs
wprager
24 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 22 ... 35  Next

Go down  Message [Page 10 of 35]

136All Playoff talk all the time. - Page 10 Empty Re: All Playoff talk all the time. Tue May 11, 2010 4:06 pm

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

N4L wrote:If Staal doesnt play at 100% or anywhere near it, you get a game 7 with The Habs. Staal is 100% as important to The Pens as anyone outside of Crosby and one could even aruge based on the role he plays, he is more valuable than Malkin.

Markov isnt the end all and be all in Montreal, hell he wasnt playing all that well before he went down anyways. He's a loss to be sure but to say it is over and above the loss of Staal is wrong. He's a fantastic player, carries a huge load on that "3rd line" and plays in every situation.

What would have hurt more to Ottawa? The Loss of Kuba or the loss of Cullen? Pretty easy to answer.

Kuba is not our Gonchar. We don't have one, period.

137All Playoff talk all the time. - Page 10 Empty Re: All Playoff talk all the time. Tue May 11, 2010 4:12 pm

Riprock

All-Star
All-Star

But that's the problem - as long as you have those three you will not be able to afford a high end defenceman, or a winger.

I can understand the resistance to move any of them, but they are all natural centers. While any forward can play any position, you usually end up becoming really good at one. Centers obviously have to have great face off technique, and they have to chase the puck and usually control the play well.
Wingers don't have as much work to do as centers but have to keep the puck in the offensive zone and get in the slot.

Anyways, if I am building a team I would budget $6-7M each for a franchise forward, defenceman and goalie, ideally. Heck, if you can get them cheaper great. Then you get your 3-5M players, then round out the 3rd/4th liens and 3rd pairing with your $500K-1.5M players. But having two $8.7M centers and a $4M center greatly reduces your chances of signing or keeping a Doughty or Weber if that ever comes.

Look at Tampa back when they had V LeC, Richards and St. Louis. And Ottawa with Spezza, Heatley and Alfie.

138All Playoff talk all the time. - Page 10 Empty Re: All Playoff talk all the time. Tue May 11, 2010 4:18 pm

SeawaySensFan

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Dash wrote:But that's the problem - as long as you have those three you will not be able to afford a high end defenceman, or a winger.

I can understand the resistance to move any of them, but they are all natural centers. While any forward can play any position, you usually end up becoming really good at one. Centers obviously have to have great face off technique, and they have to chase the puck and usually control the play well.
Wingers don't have as much work to do as centers but have to keep the puck in the offensive zone and get in the slot.

Anyways, if I am building a team I would budget $6-7M each for a franchise forward, defenceman and goalie, ideally. Heck, if you can get them cheaper great. Then you get your 3-5M players, then round out the 3rd/4th liens and 3rd pairing with your $500K-1.5M players. But having two $8.7M centers and a $4M center greatly reduces your chances of signing or keeping a Doughty or Weber if that ever comes.

Look at Tampa back when they had V LeC, Richards and St. Louis. And Ottawa with Spezza, Heatley and Alfie.

and Boyle?

The Fantastick Four?!?!? All Playoff talk all the time. - Page 10 235689 All Playoff talk all the time. - Page 10 805406

139All Playoff talk all the time. - Page 10 Empty Re: All Playoff talk all the time. Tue May 11, 2010 4:44 pm

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

Obviously it worked for them and it worked for Pittsburgh, but I still think it's too much spent upfront.

140All Playoff talk all the time. - Page 10 Empty Re: All Playoff talk all the time. Tue May 11, 2010 5:11 pm

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

Lawrence Nycholat is expected to play if Salo does not.

141All Playoff talk all the time. - Page 10 Empty Re: All Playoff talk all the time. Tue May 11, 2010 6:10 pm

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

Yeah, the most successful franchise of the past 3 years need to trade Malkin for wingers? mmh yeah, no.

142All Playoff talk all the time. - Page 10 Empty Re: All Playoff talk all the time. Tue May 11, 2010 7:01 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Dash wrote:Lawrence Nycholat is expected to play if Salo does not.

I think Salo will play. He'll just player higher in the slot.

143All Playoff talk all the time. - Page 10 Empty Re: All Playoff talk all the time. Tue May 11, 2010 8:03 pm

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

SpezDispenser wrote:This is a 50/50 in Pittsburgh at best. Halak is unreal, all bets are off, madness in Game 7.

In his NHL career, Halak is 4-0 when facing elimination. Money.

144All Playoff talk all the time. - Page 10 Empty Re: All Playoff talk all the time. Tue May 11, 2010 8:07 pm

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

wprager wrote:
Dash wrote:Lawrence Nycholat is expected to play if Salo does not.

I think Salo will play. He'll just player higher in the slot.

He'll be trash-talking in falsetto, too. All Playoff talk all the time. - Page 10 270956

145All Playoff talk all the time. - Page 10 Empty Re: All Playoff talk all the time. Tue May 11, 2010 9:22 pm

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

rooneypoo wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:This is a 50/50 in Pittsburgh at best. Halak is unreal, all bets are off, madness in Game 7.

Fleury is 2-0 in Game 7's and is 15-5 following a playoff loss.

146All Playoff talk all the time. - Page 10 Empty Re: All Playoff talk all the time. Tue May 11, 2010 10:28 pm

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

rooneypoo wrote:

Fleury is also one of if not the best bounce back goalie in the league.

147All Playoff talk all the time. - Page 10 Empty Re: All Playoff talk all the time. Tue May 11, 2010 10:40 pm

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Damn, Canucks D is battered and breaking

148All Playoff talk all the time. - Page 10 Empty Re: All Playoff talk all the time. Tue May 11, 2010 11:13 pm

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Oh well, unless they come back in the third, congrats to the Hawks.

Go Sharks!

149All Playoff talk all the time. - Page 10 Empty Re: All Playoff talk all the time. Tue May 11, 2010 11:26 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I think I'm going to bed. Too bad, it was close, what can you do?

150All Playoff talk all the time. - Page 10 Empty Re: All Playoff talk all the time. Tue May 11, 2010 11:56 pm

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

That's what I'd call a slaughter

151All Playoff talk all the time. - Page 10 Empty Re: All Playoff talk all the time. Wed May 12, 2010 6:49 am

Luongo craps the bed in another game, shocker. 16 goals at home in 3 games, WOW, thats about as bad as it gets. The series isnt on him but he didnt do anything to really help his team out.

Sedins were invisable, Kessler was a non factor, and Van's D was beat up. All that said, Luongo proved again he is anything but a money goaltender at this series was over in game 4 because he couldnt stop a beachball.

152All Playoff talk all the time. - Page 10 Empty Re: All Playoff talk all the time. Wed May 12, 2010 7:02 am

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Big Ev wrote:Oh well, unless they come back in the third, congrats to the Hawks.

Go Sharks!

any team but the sharks! Dammit! heatley!

153All Playoff talk all the time. - Page 10 Empty Re: All Playoff talk all the time. Wed May 12, 2010 7:22 am

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

marakh wrote:Yeah, the most successful franchise of the past 3 years need to trade Malkin for wingers? mmh yeah, no.

Wow what a massive resume those Pens have. Everyone should copy their model of organizational success. Forget modeling after Detroit. These guys have 3 whole years of being the most successful.

- Unknown Author

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 10 of 35]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 22 ... 35  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum