GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Who is the most likely to get re-signed?

+9
shabbs
SensGirl11
wprager
Jordo
PTFlea
Phoenix30
Flo The Action
SeawaySensFan
Cap'n Clutch
13 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Who is the most likely to be a Senator next season?

Who is the most likely to get re-signed? - Page 3 Vote_lcap20%Who is the most likely to get re-signed? - Page 3 Vote_rcap2 0% [ 0 ]
Who is the most likely to get re-signed? - Page 3 Vote_lcap217%Who is the most likely to get re-signed? - Page 3 Vote_rcap2 17% [ 2 ]
Who is the most likely to get re-signed? - Page 3 Vote_lcap275%Who is the most likely to get re-signed? - Page 3 Vote_rcap2 75% [ 9 ]
Who is the most likely to get re-signed? - Page 3 Vote_lcap28%Who is the most likely to get re-signed? - Page 3 Vote_rcap2 8% [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 12

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 3]

I want no part of an A-Train resigning. Anything over 3.5 x 3 would become an anchor of a contract down the road. I am thrilled he turned down the 4M x 5 years. I love Cullen but again anything above 3 x 3 is reaching. Sutton should wave bye-bye if he's looking for more than 2 years unless he accepts a smaller cap hit of around 2M.

RobbyJ wrote:I want no part of an A-Train resigning. Anything over 3.5 x 3 would become an anchor of a contract down the road. I am thrilled he turned down the 4M x 5 years. I love Cullen but again anything above 3 x 3 is reaching. Sutton should wave bye-bye if he's looking for more than 2 years unless he accepts a smaller cap hit of around 2M.

The Sens have way too many young D men to be extending guys for more then 2 years, 3 tops.

Gryba, Wiercoich, and Cowen will all be fighting for spots soon (while Lee sucks his thumb) and after what Murray said yesterday it sounds like Cowen starts the year in Ottawa goes back to Jr after 9 or 10 games and plays in the WJC while Wiercoich plays less then 40 games during the 2nd 1/2 of the year. Gryba is the wild card and if they dont go out and sign that defensive D man, Gryba will be the guy.

So I agree with you, defensive D men for the most part are not worth anything more then a 2 or 3 year extension in Ottawa, fact is Ottawa has a lot better options going forward and it's going to be great to see this core group of defenseman with the aid of Phillips move forward.

In 2, 3 years tops The Sens blueline will consist of these 5 cogs. Phillips, Karlsson, Gryba, Cowen, and Wiercoich. I will probably guess Campoli as well as there is a lot of potential there. That's a big, fast, hard hitting, and complete blueline from front to back.

shabbs

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

I voted for Cullen. Murray seems to be making it clear that resigning Volchie won't happen... if that is the case, I'd hope we can hold on to both Cullen and Sutton. Cullen was one of our best forwards in the post season and I think a full season under Clouston would do Sutton some good.

But it will all come down to money. I'd say keeping Cullen is a priority.

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I agree shabbs. Re-sign Cullen and all the RFAs then offer Sutton whatever space you have left minus wiggle room for injuries and deadline acquisitions of course.

He says no then you move on with him.

- Unknown Author

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

Here's the problem with signing Volchenkov to a deal over $4 million - the year after, Phillips is a UFA. If you give Anton that much money for the skill set that he brings, then how much do you have to pay Phillips who by all means is generally the best defenseman on this team every night?

Can this team afford to have $8-9 million invested in a shutdown defensive pairing? If not, can the Senators afford to let Phillips walk? Obviously not. So then how does this all make sense?

It's factual: Volchenkov is done playing for this club because his contract demands handicap the team in more than one way.

Volchenkov is easily replaceable. See ya later.

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

PKC wrote:Here's the problem with signing Volchenkov to a deal over $4 million - the year after, Phillips is a UFA. If you give Anton that much money for the skill set that he brings, then how much do you have to pay Phillips who by all means is generally the best defenseman on this team every night?

Can this team afford to have $8-9 million invested in a shutdown defensive pairing? If not, can the Senators afford to let Phillips walk? Obviously not. So then how does this all make sense?

It's factual: Volchenkov is done playing for this club because his contract demands handicap the team in more than one way.

Plus the fact that Murray more or less said A-Train wants to test the market.

- Unknown Author

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

It should also be noted that A-Train averages around 60 games a season so as valuable as he is during those games we aren't cooked without him.

- Unknown Author

N4L wrote:
RobbyJ wrote:I want no part of an A-Train resigning. Anything over 3.5 x 3 would become an anchor of a contract down the road. I am thrilled he turned down the 4M x 5 years. I love Cullen but again anything above 3 x 3 is reaching. Sutton should wave bye-bye if he's looking for more than 2 years unless he accepts a smaller cap hit of around 2M.

The Sens have way too many young D men to be extending guys for more then 2 years, 3 tops.

Gryba, Wiercoich, and Cowen will all be fighting for spots soon (while Lee sucks his thumb) and after what Murray said yesterday it sounds like Cowen starts the year in Ottawa goes back to Jr after 9 or 10 games and plays in the WJC while Wiercoich plays less then 40 games during the 2nd 1/2 of the year. Gryba is the wild card and if they dont go out and sign that defensive D man, Gryba will be the guy.

So I agree with you, defensive D men for the most part are not worth anything more then a 2 or 3 year extension in Ottawa, fact is Ottawa has a lot better options going forward and it's going to be great to see this core group of defenseman with the aid of Phillips move forward.

In 2, 3 years tops The Sens blueline will consist of these 5 cogs. Phillips, Karlsson, Gryba, Cowen, and Wiercoich. I will probably guess Campoli as well as there is a lot of potential there. That's a big, fast, hard hitting, and complete blueline from front to back.
If I am Murray, I am ready July 1st to offer Phillips an 8 year 24M contract (declining over time) so that I have cost certainty moving forward.

ddt

ddt
Rookie
Rookie

shabbs wrote:I voted for Cullen. Murray seems to be making it clear that resigning Volchie won't happen... if that is the case, I'd hope we can hold on to both Cullen and Sutton. Cullen was one of our best forwards in the post season and I think a full season under Clouston would do Sutton some good.

Right after the deal was made, I wasn't very hopeful, because this article mentioned that his wife and their two children moved back to their home in Minnesota, so I was thinking that was a hint as to his thinking.

But after a new article yesterday, maybe there is hope...

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

ddt wrote:
shabbs wrote:I voted for Cullen. Murray seems to be making it clear that resigning Volchie won't happen... if that is the case, I'd hope we can hold on to both Cullen and Sutton. Cullen was one of our best forwards in the post season and I think a full season under Clouston would do Sutton some good.

Right after the deal was made, I wasn't very hopeful, because this article mentioned that his wife and their two children moved back to their home in Minnesota, so I was thinking that was a hint as to his thinking.

Well, that recent article is very encouraging. I agree with Murray's assessment that he brought professionalism to the room. A great trait to have in the room with all the young kids coming up.

shabbs wrote:
ddt wrote:

Well, that recent article is very encouraging. I agree with Murray's assessment that he brought professionalism to the room. A great trait to have in the room with all the young kids coming up.

That is 100% the most important thing going forward. If Spezza buys into this ON and off the ice (sounds like he has off of it). He has to realize less is more sometimes and being "the guy" doesnt mean having to be the guy to make the big play. Being the guy means taking a bone crushing hit to make a play, being the guy means leading by example. He is a HUGE part of the team right now ( I hate that fact) but he is and he needs to be a leader there and with guys like Cullen, Phillips, Alfi, Fisher, Kelly, and Neil, he can find his way but only if he wants to. Those are the guys you want to have around.

The young kids here have a ton of tallent and it seems like a ton of work ethic. With the leadership Ottawa has they can be a special team in a few years.

Sophomore
Sophomore

volch is a capital at the start of the season

waive cheechoo and trade lee for a 3rd round pick, then package our first and the 3rd to move up. get BPA.

sign regin, cullen, foligno, and sutton-in that order

bring up gryba

play hockey

when kovalev comes off the books offer brooks laich long term deal to play wing with spezza and michalek.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmV4pQh72j8&feature=fvst

Last edited by 111519 on Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:00 pm; edited 3 times in total

SensHulk

SensHulk
All-Star
All-Star

only time I remember a rental staying a while was Smolinski...and he was an american too! Really hope Cullen stays. I wouldn't mind if Sutton stayed as well (max. 2 year deal) but we need some money for the rfa's.

Will be sad to see Volchenkov go...our D already sucks (no other way to put it) so we'll need to get a decent replacement.

Kuba-Phillips
Karlsson-Sutton
Carkner-Campoli
Extra: Lee

hmmm maybe that won't be too bad....our call-ups could be Weircioch and Gryba. Carkner could turn into the new volchenkov

Michallica wrote:only time I remember a rental staying a while was Smolinski...and he was an american too! Really hope Cullen stays. I wouldn't mind if Sutton stayed as well (max. 2 year deal) but we need some money for the rfa's.

Will be sad to see Volchenkov go...our D already sucks (no other way to put it) so we'll need to get a decent replacement.

Kuba-Phillips
Karlsson-Sutton
Carkner-Campoli
Extra: Lee

hmmm maybe that won't be too bad....our call-ups could be Weircioch and Gryba. Carkner could turn into the new volchenkov

That;s stretching it. Again, I would go wiht Gryba and see how he does with Phillips to start the year.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum