GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

PLAYOFF GAME DAY: Game 5: Ottawa Senators (1) @ Pittsburgh Penguins (3) - 7:00pm ET - Thu. Apr. 22nd, 2010

+28
Tuk Tuk
Devo
Hobiesens
Bramlet07
rooneypoo
TeamRenzo
stempniaksen
beerandsens
SDH89
dennycrane
SensGal
TheAvatar
LeCaptain
Hockeyhero22000
Phoenix30
Number Twenty Nine
Ev
M_Christopher
Flo The Action
SeawaySensFan
wprager
Riprock
Hoags
SensGirl11
PTFlea
PKC
Cap'n Clutch
shabbs
32 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 13 ... 22, 23, 24 ... 35 ... 48  Next

Ottawa @ Pittsburgh - Apr 22, 2010

PLAYOFF GAME DAY: Game 5: Ottawa Senators (1) @ Pittsburgh Penguins (3) - 7:00pm ET - Thu. Apr. 22nd, 2010 - Page 23 Vote_lcap220%PLAYOFF GAME DAY: Game 5: Ottawa Senators (1) @ Pittsburgh Penguins (3) - 7:00pm ET - Thu. Apr. 22nd, 2010 - Page 23 Vote_rcap2 20% [ 2 ]
PLAYOFF GAME DAY: Game 5: Ottawa Senators (1) @ Pittsburgh Penguins (3) - 7:00pm ET - Thu. Apr. 22nd, 2010 - Page 23 Vote_lcap210%PLAYOFF GAME DAY: Game 5: Ottawa Senators (1) @ Pittsburgh Penguins (3) - 7:00pm ET - Thu. Apr. 22nd, 2010 - Page 23 Vote_rcap2 10% [ 1 ]
PLAYOFF GAME DAY: Game 5: Ottawa Senators (1) @ Pittsburgh Penguins (3) - 7:00pm ET - Thu. Apr. 22nd, 2010 - Page 23 Vote_lcap220%PLAYOFF GAME DAY: Game 5: Ottawa Senators (1) @ Pittsburgh Penguins (3) - 7:00pm ET - Thu. Apr. 22nd, 2010 - Page 23 Vote_rcap2 20% [ 2 ]
PLAYOFF GAME DAY: Game 5: Ottawa Senators (1) @ Pittsburgh Penguins (3) - 7:00pm ET - Thu. Apr. 22nd, 2010 - Page 23 Vote_lcap230%PLAYOFF GAME DAY: Game 5: Ottawa Senators (1) @ Pittsburgh Penguins (3) - 7:00pm ET - Thu. Apr. 22nd, 2010 - Page 23 Vote_rcap2 30% [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 10

Go down  Message [Page 23 of 48]

SensGirl11 wrote:
PKC wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:
Big Ev wrote:I have no doubt in my mind that Leclaire will start the season opener next season.

But why? Elliott was amazing in the 2nd half of the season, I can't understand why we'd do that. Surely we aren't that dumb.

And he's been garbage when it mattered the most. Sure he's got the mindset of a winner - whatever the Diddle that means - but he hasn't done himself any favors. When this team needed a save, even one he shouldn't necessarily have made, it hasn't happened.

That is BANG ON right there, BANG ON! Totally right.

A lot of big saves have been needed though, that's my point. How many were there in game 2? He made some big ones in game 1 despite letting in 4.

In Ottawa the fact is, every save is a big save and that's a problem.

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

PKC wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:
Big Ev wrote:I have no doubt in my mind that Leclaire will start the season opener next season.

But why? Elliott was amazing in the 2nd half of the season, I can't understand why we'd do that. Surely we aren't that dumb.

And he's been garbage when it mattered the most. Sure he's got the mindset of a winner - whatever the Diddle that means - but he hasn't done himself any favors. When this team needed a save, even one he shouldn't necessarily have made, it hasn't happened.

The Adams backhander, the Crosby breakaway, the Crosby shot from the half boards, misplaying the puck behind the net, the Ponikarovsky goal, the Bill Guerin goal...some of them you might be thinking, what chance did he have. But once in a while, you need your goalie to come up spades for you. That hasn't happened. It just hasn't happened. That's 6 goals alone right there plus probably one or two more I can't think of right now.

You need saves. When your team is getting outplayed - which hasn't even been the case this series - you need your goalie to go beyond the line of duty to keep you in the game.

We've had no such moments despite Neely's assertions that Elliott was playing "out of his skull" in the first period of game 4.

Hey man, you know me better than that. I don't disagree, but I would suggest that Elliott's a young goalie with a bright, bright future. You don't take away his starting job because he's sucked this post-season. Without him, we're not even in, no debate there.

stempniaksen

Veteran
Veteran

I still don't get the Lehner hype. He's a fantastic young goalie, but how many 19/20 year olds have come in and been successful? And how many of those guys have actually gone on to solid careers after being exposed to the NHL so early?

It seems like a big risk to take with out only real goaltending prospect. If he busts we're left in the dark concerning our goaltending future.

SensGirl11 wrote:

“Good for Elliott for grabbing the No. 1 job, but at the end of the day is he supposed to be the guy leading this team right now?” said Tugnutt. “He’s a rookie, basically, whether he played enough games last year or not. They brought in someone else to do the job, they’re paying him a lot of money, and he lost his job. Sometimes you just have to basically stick with your guy, come hell or high water. I always said if you go get a guy, and his job is to do that job, you have to give him the opportunity to do that, or else you maybe made a mistake in your selection of guys to bring in.

“Elliott or whoever their guy is has to be great to win the series, because they’re playing a helluva good hockey team.”

Soon enough, Robin Lehner, all this could be yours.

Ummmm, isnt that EXACTLY what I have been saying for 2 months?

stempniaksen wrote:I still don't get the Lehner hype. He's a fantastic young goalie, but how many 19/20 year olds have come in and been successful? And how many of those guys have actually gone on to solid careers after being exposed to the NHL so early?

It seems like a big risk to take with out only real goaltending prospect. If he busts we're left in the dark concerning our goaltending future.

YOu dont stop adding depth but Lehner defently seems to be made of something different... but Im sure if any city can kill a goaltender like Lehner it's Ottawa.

By all accounts though he was fantastic in his first stint in The AHL and I would give him next year as the number 1 guy in Bingo for sure. Barring injuries or him just flat out, out playing Leclaire and Elliott, he iwll be in Bingo.

Personally, I think the goaltending next year is going to be basically the same with Lehner breathing down both their necks unlike this year.

stempniaksen

stempniaksen
Veteran
Veteran

I can't see Lehner being anything better than backup in Bingo, but I think I would prefer if he had another year in the Soo. By all accounts he played well, but he didn't tear it up. And I would like to see what he can do with an even more talented Greyhound team next year.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

stempniaksen wrote:I can't see Lehner being anything better than backup in Bingo, but I think I would prefer if he had another year in the Soo. By all accounts he played well, but he didn't tear it up. And I would like to see what he can do with an even more talented Greyhound team next year.

Really? Because neither Brodeur or Chiodo have a contract.

stempniaksen wrote:I can't see Lehner being anything better than backup in Bingo, but I think I would prefer if he had another year in the Soo. By all accounts he played well, but he didn't tear it up. And I would like to see what he can do with an even more talented Greyhound team next year.

I dont think there is any way he is going back to The Soo. He signed his deal and he will be in The AHL next year. It's not like the brought him in for the playoffs.

Anyways, in The AHL they might have him pencilled in as the backup (they might not as well) but the better goalie plays in The AHL. If he is the backup it's because he wasnt good enough to be the starter. My guess is he will be the starter out of the gate and no one will come close to taking it from him, there isnt anyone who actually can IMO.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

stempniaksen wrote:I still don't get the Lehner hype. He's a fantastic young goalie, but how many 19/20 year olds have come in and been successful? And how many of those guys have actually gone on to solid careers after being exposed to the NHL so early?

It's happening more and more in the NHL that young goalies are taking over at an early age. I'd still say he's got 2 more years though.

Both goalies contracts expire next season, Lehner is a threat to take the number spot in short order. I see him being bought up a lot like Rask was in Boston. Rask was ready last year but contracts got in the way.

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

Tuuka Rask - 23
Semeon Varlamov - 21
John Quick - 24
Jaro Halak - 24
Carey Price - 22

Robin Lehner - 21?

Lehner defently isnt far off from being in Ottawa. I dont see them rushing him for no reason, a year in The AHL is the right choice but he could very well already be the best goaltender in the organization.

Go the way of Rask, play a ton of games in The AHL wait your turn then dominate.

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

If he's available in the 3rd round I would love for Ottawa to draft Mississauga Majors' goalie J.P. Anderson.

TeamRenzo

Rookie
Rookie

N4L wrote:So you are surprised Elliott didnt get pulled after standing on his head in the first and then letting in a breakaway goal by Crosby to make it 2-0? I beg to God you are not surprised by that.

I dont think you appriciate what kind of effect that 2nd goal had on the team and Elliott. The Sens game went to Dung, they gooned it up, and they were lucky enough to score 2, 5 on 3 goals. That's it. That 7-4 score was faltering to The Sens. It all stemmed from the 2nd goal. The series was over right there in that moment.

Elliott is broken right now, that 2nd goal killed him. It was obvious. Leclaire probably is the best choice tonight.

If the second goal in in the second period kills the tender then he has no business being in nets. The shot went through Elliot, he could have saved it.

It was probably one of the worst give aways I ever seen from Spezza, just god awful, but Elliot could have stopped it.

I really like Elliot but he has not been good in the post season, I don't think you can find someone to dispute that.

TeamRenzo wrote:
N4L wrote:So you are surprised Elliott didnt get pulled after standing on his head in the first and then letting in a breakaway goal by Crosby to make it 2-0? I beg to God you are not surprised by that.

I dont think you appriciate what kind of effect that 2nd goal had on the team and Elliott. The Sens game went to Dung, they gooned it up, and they were lucky enough to score 2, 5 on 3 goals. That's it. That 7-4 score was faltering to The Sens. It all stemmed from the 2nd goal. The series was over right there in that moment.

Elliott is broken right now, that 2nd goal killed him. It was obvious. Leclaire probably is the best choice tonight.

If the second goal in in the second period kills the tender then he has no business being in nets. The shot went through Elliot, he could have saved it.

It was probably one of the worst give aways I ever seen from Spezza, just god awful, but Elliot could have stopped it.

I really like Elliot but he has not been good in the post season, I don't think you can find someone to dispute that.

I agree with all of that. He needed to make that save. That being said, a rookie goaltender who made all those saves in the first, is on his game, then lets in a goal that he and everyone else knew basically burried their team is going to fall apart, at least most do.

Elliott hasnt been great in the post season, he has been average at best but he isnt the reason The Sens are losing.

I think I can speak for most people when I say that was a totally avoidable situation that should have never happend, but it did.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

you have to wait a year for lehner at least before he's NHL ready. with the team we have in bingo next year, they should have killer year. with veteran cheechoo leading the way Sarcasm .
then we bring him up to ottawa as back up. so in a couple of years sound right.
oh and patrick roy strated pretty diddling young.(not saying he's roy) but on the other hand carey price is the best reason why he shouldn't be thrown in too early.

beerandsens

beerandsens
Sophomore
Sophomore

PKC wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:

The Adams backhander, the Crosby breakaway, the Crosby shot from the half boards, misplaying the puck behind the net, the Ponikarovsky goal, the Bill Guerin goal...some of them you might be thinking, what chance did he have. But once in a while, you need your goalie to come up spades for you. That hasn't happened. It just hasn't happened. That's 6 goals alone right there plus probably one or two more I can't think of right now.

You need saves. When your team is getting outplayed - which hasn't even been the case this series - you need your goalie to go beyond the line of duty to keep you in the game.

We've had no such moments despite Neely's assertions that Elliott was playing "out of his skull" in the first period of game 4.

+1
I've agreed for a couple of games now that Elliott isn't exclusively to blame for the Sens losses, but he isn't stealing games and that is what the Sens would have needed as a start. That is how the two most significant Sens winning streaks of this season started. They got good goaltending, won a game or two that maybe they shouldn't have and then gained momentum. Soft, untimely goals haven't been a part of Elliott's game this season but are definitely there this post season.

All that being said, this season's version of Leclaire gave up soft and untimely goals all too often. I guess management is counting on that improving.

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

SensGirl11 wrote:This is interesting. Do you all agree? I think it's too late to change too much in our game, but I really do believe that Murray is right with his statement here. The guys are more interested in running around and trying to hit guys than making the right plays and scoring some goals. When Pittsburgh does this they create opportunities out of it. We seem to just be running around and trying to hit anything that moves without getting the puck back and creating chances. The guys we are hitting are not necessarily the right ones either. We're running around hitting guys but we're not hitting the one guy that's killing this series for us, Crosby. Does it make sense to you at all? I've wondered all series why he's been able to dance around everyone and hasn't been hit hard by anyone. It's very concerning and it is a big reason why we find ourselves in the hole we are in this morning. What will change tonight? Will they take Murray's advice?

GM Bryan Murray dropped by the dressing room to deliver the Senators a message before they flew off — possibly into the sunset — Wednesday afternoon.

Be yourselves, he told them.

“I made a point to the guys this morning that we’ve been more interested in running around and hitting people than just playing the way we normally play,” said Murray, whose team is one loss from seeing its season end. “Pittsburgh is a good team. We’re a good team. We’re in the playoffs. I’m watching other series. Colorado is competing really well with San Jose ... that’s what I think our team is capable of doing.”

“Two games (in Pittsburgh) we played okay then (Tuesday) we just went out to crucify people rather than play smart and keep the game simple and allow us to compete in the third period,” said Murray.

“I think we got caught up in trying to be more physical than we’d normally be, that’s all. And when we gave up the third goal, we lost total focus for awhile. Then we finally get one back, and get a second one, and then the damn glass falls out when we have a great slot play. It was because of a hit, there’s nothing anybody can do about it, but it’s just what seems to be the case right now.”

That's EXACTLY what I told after game 4.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 23 of 48]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 13 ... 22, 23, 24 ... 35 ... 48  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum