GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Post game analysis - Game 1, Ottawa @ Pittsburgh

+14
dennycrane
Hockeyhero22000
Number Twenty Nine
SensHulk
Riprock
CockRoche
TheAvatar
SensGal
PTFlea
wprager
shabbs
SeawaySensFan
Numerodooze
Cap'n Clutch
18 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 9]

Cap'n Clutch

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Dash wrote:I retract my comments about Kelly and Ruutu and Neil as being the most expensive line. I realize my error in judgement and I admit being wrong. They are exactly the guys we need. We have two lines that should be scoring, and two full lines that will drive the other team mad and shut them down - AND they were the ones scoring. How's that!!

I said Elliott needs to be better. What's wrong with that? He could have been better for sure, and would be a huge help to the team if he saved a few of those goals (the backhander from Adams). He got the job done, and I fully believe that it was first playoff game jitters. Shake it off and play like we know you are fully capable off and beyond.

Totally agree here. It's not worth arguing your point about Elliott with N4L. He could let in 4 soft goals and have a .600 save percentage and he'd still say he doesn't need to improve at all as long as the Sens win. It could be a 9-8 final. It wouldn't matter.

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

There was one shift were Z.Smith just 'got it' all at once and flattened three guys in a span of about 15 seconds. It was awesome.

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Cap'n Clutch wrote:

Totally agree here. It's not worth arguing your point about Elliott with N4L. He could let in 4 soft goals and have a .600 save percentage and he'd still say he doesn't need to improve at all as long as the Sens win. It could be a 9-8 final. It wouldn't matter.

Elliott can be a lot better, but the point is he bent but didn't break last night, while a Cup champion bent and snapped like a twig. That's big - even if Elliott's performance wasn't stellar.

Dash wrote:I retract my comments about Kelly and Ruutu and Neil as being the most expensive line. I realize my error in judgement and I admit being wrong. They are exactly the guys we need. We have two lines that should be scoring, and two full lines that will drive the other team mad and shut them down - AND they were the ones scoring. How's that!!

I said Elliott needs to be better. What's wrong with that? He could have been better for sure, and would be a huge help to the team if he saved a few of those goals (the backhander from Adams). He got the job done, and I fully believe that it was first playoff game jitters. Shake it off and play like we know you are fully capable off and beyond.

Elliott can be better and will, does he have to be? Nope, he doesnt. He needs to keep his team in the lead when they have it, he needs to make the big saves at big times, and he needs to keep his team confident in his ability to make a big save.

That was his first game and he passed with flying colours IMO, he was solid when he had to be and won. That's all that matters. Nothing squeeked by him, nothing that killed momentum, none of that went on. Bobbled the first shot there but settled down and played big when he had to.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

N4L wrote:Ok, people crying about Elliott or saying he needs to be better should probably stop talking about goaltending (like they usually should) because he doesnt.
I would not say it was crying, more a recognition that neither goalie played stellar and Elliott got the win by being better than MAF in the end and preserving the lead when needed. I do think the Sens' D needs to play a bit better in front of him to give him better looks at the puck and not have deflections end up in the back of our net.

Welcome back...

Wink

Cap'n Clutch wrote:

\

500 save % and 16 W's, dont care. He found a way to win. That's what a good goaltender does.

Is there a point in argueing with me on that, nope there isnt. I'll take the goalie who wins over Turco who had somehting like a 920 save % and 3 SO in one series and lost. All that matters are the wins, that's it.

Elliott has won on every level and is starting to win in The NHL on every level now as well.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

N4L wrote:Elliott can be better and will, does he have to be? Nope, he doesnt. He needs to keep his team in the lead when they have it, he needs to make the big saves at big times, and he needs to keep his team confident in his ability to make a big save.

That was his first game and he passed with flying colours IMO, he was solid when he had to be and won. That's all that matters. Nothing squeeked by him, nothing that killed momentum, none of that went on. Bobbled the first shot there but settled down and played big when he had to.
What was nice to see was that after each goal the Pens put in, the Sens came back with more intensity and stepped it up to quash any momentum Pitt got. Great to see.

Im not calling out anyone in particular here, but between posts Ive read on other sites, here, and the post game show last night, people reaaaaaaally need to shut up. You have a playoff rookie who just beat The Champs in their own barn and didnt play his best. He made big saves when he had to and never gave up a lead in his first game.

Ottawa fans really need perspective when it comes to goaltending, it's awful here.

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

N4L wrote:
Cap'n Clutch wrote:

\

500 save % and 16 W's, dont care. He found a way to win. That's what a good goaltender does.

Is there a point in argueing with me on that, nope there isnt. I'll take the goalie who wins over Turco who had somehting like a 920 save % and 3 SO in one series and lost. All that matters are the wins, that's it.

Elliott has won on every level and is starting to win in The NHL on every level now as well.

How many Cup winning goalies have an 800 save percentage and 4 GAA in the playoffs?

- Unknown Author

CockRoche

CockRoche
Veteran
Veteran

shabbs wrote:What was nice to see was that after each goal the Pens put in, the Sens came back with more intensity and stepped it up to quash any momentum Pitt got. Great to see.

That shows a lot of character and a lot of confidence in the system that Clouston preaches. Keep skating, be accountable and when you are on the ice, you better work your Donkey off. Results will follow.

CockRoche

CockRoche
Veteran
Veteran

Haha. I said "donkey"!

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

N4L wrote:Im not calling out anyone in particular here, but between posts Ive read on other sites, here, and the post game show last night, people reaaaaaaally need to shut up. You have a playoff rookie who just beat The Champs in their own barn and didnt play his best. He made big saves when he had to and never gave up a lead in his first game.

Ottawa fans really need perspective when it comes to goaltending, it's awful here.

It took me literally 45 seconds to turn off the post game show last night. Diddle people are sad. All they were doing was moaning about Elliott.

45 seconds. That's a new record - even for the 1200 post game. They need to RESTRICT callers and talk amongst themselves or read e-mails. They really do. That show sucks now.

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

N4L wrote:Im not calling out anyone in particular here, but between posts Ive read on other sites, here, and the post game show last night, people reaaaaaaally need to shut up. You have a playoff rookie who just beat The Champs in their own barn and didnt play his best. He made big saves when he had to and never gave up a lead in his first game.

That was definitely far from Elliott's A game and only one goal he maybe should have had. I guess you're taking offense to the fact that people are saying he needs to be better when he won the game? We're not saying he should have been better in game one. He absolutely did what he needed to and got the job done despite being less than his usually stellar self over the last 30 games.

When we say we think he needs to be better we're saying it anticipating a much stronger game and more ferocious attack on the part of the Pens in game two.

- Unknown Author

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

SpezDispenser wrote:

It took me literally 45 seconds to turn off the post game show last night. Diddle people are sad. All they were doing was moaning about Elliott.

45 seconds. That's a new record - even for the 1200 post game. They need to RESTRICT callers and talk amongst themselves or read e-mails. They really do. That show sucks now.
HA! Was it that bad? Holy moly... it's been over 10 years since I've lived in Ottawa... I guess I've forgotten how bad it can be with fans and goalies there...

Sigh...

Cap'n Clutch wrote:
N4L wrote:
Cap'n Clutch wrote:

\

How many Cup winning goalies have an 800 save percentage and 4 GAA in the playoffs?

I bet Fuhr has something below 900 and a GAA around 4 in one of the playoff runs. Point being is that wont be the norm every game and if The Sens dont clear the front of the net and stop taking minors, they will be in trouble.

Point being is he found a way to win, that's all that matters right now.

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

N4L wrote:
Cap'n Clutch wrote:
N4L wrote:
Cap'n Clutch wrote:

\

I bet Fuhr has something below 900 and a GAA around 4 in one of the playoff runs. Point being is that wont be the norm every game and if The Sens dont clear the front of the net and stop taking minors, they will be in trouble.

Point being is he found a way to win, that's all that matters right now.

I think you're not giving enough credit to the guys that scored the 5 goals. Elliott is the goalie that was in the net when the Sens won but it was far from all him finding a way to win.

- Unknown Author

SensHulk

SensHulk
All-Star
All-Star

SpezDispenser wrote:

I stopped listening after they constantly kept bending over a barrell for some guy called "irish tommy". Seriously, whyyyy do the idiots get special treatment?

Cap'n Clutch wrote:

That was definitely far from Elliott's A game and only one goal he maybe should have had. I guess you're taking offense to the fact that people are saying he needs to be better when he won the game? We're not saying he should have been better in game one. He absolutely did what he needed to and got the job done despite being less than his usually stellar self over the last 30 games.

When we say we think he needs to be better we're saying it anticipating a much stronger game and more ferocious attack on the part of the Pens in game two.

Elliott needs to outplay the other guy and give his team a chance to win, that's it. If people want to look at stats, well they will take care of themselves. All Elliott has to do is win, that's his job and he does it pretty well.

People are screaming about Flurry and Brodure yet they both cost their teams last night, funny how this works in Ottawa. Just so sick of ignorant fans calling out a goalie and saying we need Brodure of Flurry. Elliott has outplayed them both so far.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 9]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum