GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Post game analysis - Game 1, Ottawa @ Pittsburgh

+14
dennycrane
Hockeyhero22000
Number Twenty Nine
SensHulk
Riprock
CockRoche
TheAvatar
SensGal
PTFlea
wprager
shabbs
SeawaySensFan
Numerodooze
Cap'n Clutch
18 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Go down  Message [Page 9 of 9]

wprager wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:
wprager wrote:
I'm sure he does.

On that particular play, it was a quick pass from Gonchar, who was smack dab in the middle of the blue line. Malkin one timed it so the only move Elliot had was to go to the post, not to come out and challenge. If he had come out (to challenge Gonchar) then the net would have been even more open. And there was absolutely no time to come out and challenge on the quick pass.

Now I *will* say this about that play. If he paid attention he would have known that Malkin was to his left with a lethal one-timer. And he would have also seen that Gonchar did not have a clear shot. Playing percentages just a little he could have been cheating just a little to Malkin's side.

But that's all part of the education, isn't it? Just think about it, a lot of the Sens got their first taste last night. They will get better.

Gonchar's good enough to exploit that if you cheat even a little bit towards Malkin though, right? The dude's got a cannon and it's pretty accurate.

He had no shooting lane, otherwise he would have shot it himself. Meh, sometimes you have to go with percentages but, frankly, I don't know those percentages. Plus, who was on the left side, probably Crosby? Crap, you just have to hope the guys in front can block the shot or deflect the pass, and the shooter doesn't make it perfect.

Elliott was in position on that 1st goal, it found the 5 hole. There isnt anything else to it other then that. Malkin made a nice shot. If that happens again chances are Elliott stops it.

N4L wrote:Enter Cheechoo

Oh. My. God. Yes. This guy is going to be so hungry. I hope he sees some action.

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

N4L wrote:
wprager wrote:
N4L wrote:Ok, people crying about Elliott or saying he needs to be better should probably stop talking about goaltending (like they usually should) because he doesnt. He didnt give up a lead once, he made the saves he had to when it mattered, he shut the door.

Other than about 3-1/2 minutes into the game.

We cannot assume that Fleury will continue to give up goals he should be stopping (Neil) or that we will continue getting lucky bounces (Kelly -- and I'm pretty sure either Winch or Smith could have pout that one in).

Take away the bad bounce and that backhander could be the back breaker. The Sens forwards (with a little luck) save Elliott's bacon last night. If he returns the favour tomorrow then it's just the way it ought to be. I'm not putting ash on my head and ripping my shirt because Elliott let in a a bad goal or two, but I'm not going to sit there and say nothing matter except the W. I do not expect to win on Friday if we gives up another 4 goals on 21 shots; nor do I expect that he will do that. As someone already mentioned, this kid has a pretty good head; he rebounds well after so-so outings.

Really? Sens started the game with a 1-0 lead eh?

Whoever gave him a - for this, come on. He's right. I missed what he said (and a + on the way).

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

N4L wrote:
wprager wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:
wprager wrote:
I'm sure he does.

On that particular play, it was a quick pass from Gonchar, who was smack dab in the middle of the blue line. Malkin one timed it so the only move Elliot had was to go to the post, not to come out and challenge. If he had come out (to challenge Gonchar) then the net would have been even more open. And there was absolutely no time to come out and challenge on the quick pass.

Now I *will* say this about that play. If he paid attention he would have known that Malkin was to his left with a lethal one-timer. And he would have also seen that Gonchar did not have a clear shot. Playing percentages just a little he could have been cheating just a little to Malkin's side.

But that's all part of the education, isn't it? Just think about it, a lot of the Sens got their first taste last night. They will get better.

Gonchar's good enough to exploit that if you cheat even a little bit towards Malkin though, right? The dude's got a cannon and it's pretty accurate.

He had no shooting lane, otherwise he would have shot it himself. Meh, sometimes you have to go with percentages but, frankly, I don't know those percentages. Plus, who was on the left side, probably Crosby? Crap, you just have to hope the guys in front can block the shot or deflect the pass, and the shooter doesn't make it perfect.

Elliott was in position on that 1st goal, it found the 5 hole. There isnt anything else to it other then that. Malkin made a nice shot. If that happens again chances are Elliott stops it.

Five hole? You sure? I though it was about 2 feet off the ice and right against the post.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

hemlock wrote:
N4L wrote:Enter Cheechoo

Oh. My. God. Yes. This guy is going to be so hungry. I hope he sees some action.

Maybe he needs to make a stop at the Cheshire Cat? Post game analysis - Game 1, Ottawa @ Pittsburgh - Page 9 159628

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

Is Shannon confirmed to play?

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Please don't enter Cheechoo, the guy is done and he doesn't even want to play for Ottawa. I read an article where he says his goal is to return to San Jose.

Enter Sean Donovan or Shannon, I don't really care who, it won't make a big difference.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

and both goalies stunk yesterday

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

Big Ev wrote:Please don't enter Cheechoo, the guy is done and he doesn't even want to play for Ottawa. I read an article where he says his goal is to return to San Jose.

Enter Sean Donovan or Shannon, I don't really care who, it won't make a big difference.

That's a pretty substantial assertion. Source?

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Cheechoo's plan is to
finish the season in the AHL and then return to the South Bay. His wife,
Ashley, is a San Jose native, and they have kept their Willow Glen
home."I'm still pretty young, and I have a lot of hockey left,"
Cheechoo said. "I need to find a team that is looking for somebody who
has my skills. But it's up to me to find my scoring touch again."

I misquoted it, it just says he wants to return there for the summer, but he still says he wants to find another team.

http://www.mercurynews.com/ci_14682220?source=rss

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

Cheechoo sounds kind of delusional considering that it appears he almost no NHL hockey skills left in him.

But it does sound like he considers his time with Ottawa over.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Over how? What if we choose not to buy him out? Let him find his game in the AHL and then recall him again next playoffs? Unless his agent can find a team that wants a used up 10 goal man, he's a Sen until we tell him he's not.

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

Nice little character piece on Cheech:

http://www.pressconnects.com/article/20100414/SPORTS01/4140372/1118/Love-for-the-game-endeared-Cheechoo-to-B-Sens--mates

Seems like they loved him in Bingo.

SpezDispenser wrote:Over how? What if we choose not to buy him out? Let him find his game in the AHL and then recall him again next playoffs? Unless his agent can find a team that wants a used up 10 goal man, he's a Sen until we tell him he's not.

I meant over as in he won't play much (if at all) with the NHL club.

Buying him out makes little sense when we can bury his cap hit in the AHL for the last year.

He'll definitely get a shot during training camp so if he trains hard in the off season he could conceivably make the team again.

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

Hoags wrote:Nice little character piece on Cheech:

http://www.pressconnects.com/article/20100414/SPORTS01/4140372/1118/Love-for-the-game-endeared-Cheechoo-to-B-Sens--mates

SpezDispenser wrote:Over how? What if we choose not to buy him out? Let him find his game in the AHL and then recall him again next playoffs? Unless his agent can find a team that wants a used up 10 goal man, he's a Sen until we tell him he's not.

Buying him out makes little sense when we can bury his cap hit in the AHL for the last year.

He'll definitely get a shot during training camp so if he trains hard in the off season he could conceivably make the team again.

Easy for you to say. We can bury the cap hit, but not the contract -- Cheechoo is still owed his money. Melnyk is stuck paying a $3 mil bill if you keep him on in any capacity.

A buyout saves Melnyk a cool million; re-entry waivers (if he were actually claimed) saves him $1.5 mil. Cheechoo making $3 mil in the minors would more than double the salary costs of the entire Bingo roster -- the other 19 guys are making $60-100K a piece.

So, yeah, there's all kind of financial incentive to do something, anything to get Cheechoo off the roster for next year.

Hoags wrote:Nice little character piece on Cheech:

sounds like he'd be a good coach.

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

rooneypoo wrote:
Easy for you to say. We can bury the cap hit, but not the contract -- Cheechoo is still owed his money. Melnyk is stuck paying a $3 mil bill if you keep him on in any capacity.

A buyout saves Melnyk a cool million; re-entry waivers (if he were actually claimed) saves him $1.5 mil. Cheechoo making $3 mil in the minors would more than double the salary costs of the entire Bingo roster -- the other 19 guys are making $60-100K a piece.

So, yeah, there's all kind of financial incentive to do something, anything to get Cheechoo off the roster for next year.

Considering we're still paying Alfie and Emery's buyout as well as all the coaches we've fired I just can't see Melnyk doing it again.

I think Cheech will get another shot with the team next year at training camp, assuming we can't swing a trade or re-entry waivers.

Then again I see a buyout as far more likely than a trade or re-entry waiver claim on him.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 9 of 9]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum