GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Who won the Kovalchuk trade?

+11
The Silfer Server
PKC
Cap'n Clutch
Hoags
rooneypoo
LeCaptain
SDH89
KubaTrooper
dennycrane
wprager
PTFlea
15 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Who won the Kovalchuk trade?

Who won the Kovalchuk trade? - Page 3 Vote_lcap20%Who won the Kovalchuk trade? - Page 3 Vote_rcap2 0% [ 0 ]
Who won the Kovalchuk trade? - Page 3 Vote_lcap26%Who won the Kovalchuk trade? - Page 3 Vote_rcap2 6% [ 1 ]
Who won the Kovalchuk trade? - Page 3 Vote_lcap250%Who won the Kovalchuk trade? - Page 3 Vote_rcap2 50% [ 8 ]
Who won the Kovalchuk trade? - Page 3 Vote_lcap231%Who won the Kovalchuk trade? - Page 3 Vote_rcap2 31% [ 5 ]
Who won the Kovalchuk trade? - Page 3 Vote_lcap213%Who won the Kovalchuk trade? - Page 3 Vote_rcap2 13% [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 16

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 6]

31Who won the Kovalchuk trade? - Page 3 Empty Re: Who won the Kovalchuk trade? Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:54 am

marakh wrote:Still, Lombardi needs to buy some balls IMO.

Holds on to his prospects like they have actually done something. Lombardi is gutless. That LA will be bounced first round and be laughed off the ice then all the LA fans will say "what happened? I thought we were suppose to contend."

Lombardi had every asset to make that happen and he let it slip away, what an idiot. If he was playing hard ball the moron just struck out.

32Who won the Kovalchuk trade? - Page 3 Empty Re: Who won the Kovalchuk trade? Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:54 am

Cap'n Clutch

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

SpezDispenser wrote:Hmm...if Murray was involved in this...what else is he potentially involved in? Ahhhhh! Ahhhhh!

Classic Murray. Get in on the big fish and then we find out after why we didn't get it. Laughing3

33Who won the Kovalchuk trade? - Page 3 Empty Re: Who won the Kovalchuk trade? Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:56 am

PKC

All-Star
All-Star

There's an easy answer to the question posed in this thread.

Who won the Kovalchuk trade? Kovalchuk did.

34Who won the Kovalchuk trade? - Page 3 Empty Re: Who won the Kovalchuk trade? Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:54 am

PKC wrote:There's an easy answer to the question posed in this thread.

Who won the Kovalchuk trade? Kovalchuk did.

Who won the Kovalchuk trade? - Page 3 62136 So true.

35Who won the Kovalchuk trade? - Page 3 Empty Re: Who won the Kovalchuk trade? Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:17 am

The Silfer Server

The Silfer Server
Veteran
Veteran

The way I see it, for a talent like Kovalchuk, you'd think that Atlanta would be able to get more than that. And if you factor in the difference between Atlanta's 2nd which will be earlier now, and new jersey's first, which will be later now, there won't be much discrepancy, maybe 10 picks difference? So for that I say, loss Atlanta.

But it's too early to say New Jersey won, because if they can't sign Kovalchuk, then the price they paid is too great for a rental. And it would be loss New Jersey.

So as it stands, with Kovalchuck unsigned, they both lost.

36Who won the Kovalchuk trade? - Page 3 Empty Re: Who won the Kovalchuk trade? Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:24 am

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

Bass Destruction wrote:The way I see it, for a talent like Kovalchuk, you'd think that Atlanta would be able to get more than that. And if you factor in the difference between Atlanta's 2nd which will be earlier now, and new jersey's first, which will be later now, there won't be much discrepancy, maybe 10 picks difference? So for that I say, loss Atlanta.

But it's too early to say New Jersey won, because if they can't sign Kovalchuk, then the price they paid is too great for a rental. And it would be loss New Jersey.

You know what would be hilarious in this, if Kovalchuk ended up signing in Atlanta on July 1.

37Who won the Kovalchuk trade? - Page 3 Empty Re: Who won the Kovalchuk trade? Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:30 am

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

PKC wrote:
Bass Destruction wrote:The way I see it, for a talent like Kovalchuk, you'd think that Atlanta would be able to get more than that. And if you factor in the difference between Atlanta's 2nd which will be earlier now, and new jersey's first, which will be later now, there won't be much discrepancy, maybe 10 picks difference? So for that I say, loss Atlanta.

You know what would be hilarious in this, if Kovalchuk ended up signing in Atlanta on July 1.

That would be fantastic and would look great on Lou Lam. Dare to dream.

- Unknown Author

38Who won the Kovalchuk trade? - Page 3 Empty Re: Who won the Kovalchuk trade? Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:32 am

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

After Waddell's press release I'm sure Kovalchuk has little interest in even setting foot in the Peach State ever again.

39Who won the Kovalchuk trade? - Page 3 Empty Re: Who won the Kovalchuk trade? Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:38 am

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

Kovalchuk will be sipping pinacoladas somewhere on July 1st watching the offers to roll in.

It'll be fun to watch the inevitable salary dumping by interested teams leading up to that date.

It seems Cheechoo costs us Kovalchuk but I don't think he'd fit in with Clouston's system. Still that salary of his is an anchor for us.

40Who won the Kovalchuk trade? - Page 3 Empty Re: Who won the Kovalchuk trade? Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:39 am

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Hoags wrote:Kovalchuk will be sipping pinacoladas somewhere on July 1st and wait for the offers to roll in.

It'll be fun to watch the inevitable salary dumping by interested teams leading up to that date.

Mostly in Slatsville.

41Who won the Kovalchuk trade? - Page 3 Empty Re: Who won the Kovalchuk trade? Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:17 am

Devo

Sophomore
Sophomore

First, I laugh at those that look at Oduya and Bergfors and state that they are not quality pieces. Really...how many New Jersey games do you watch each year....I'm guessing 4-6 (when they play the sens and then a couple on NBC when they play the rangers).

Both players are vastly underrated, and to state that Atlanta needed to get more than a solid puck moving defense man, a promising young scorer, and a hard nosed (and risky) player in Cormier plus a #1 for a guy who many believe it going to the KHL next year then you're losing your mind.

Kovalchuk is rumored to have his eyes squarely set on the KHL. There are a handful of teams who could afford his 10 million a year asking price, and none of them are in a position to offer than money and still put a competitive team together. He knows that, and from what I'm told intends to return to Mother Russia this summer for good.

I personally think New Jersey lost the trade, because they gave up a #1 pick, a good young player in Cormier (even with his issues) and a mainstay on their D in Oduya, plus a player who in 5 years many will consider a top 4 forward on any team. All this for a guy who will be around for no more than 5 months.

Devo

42Who won the Kovalchuk trade? - Page 3 Empty Re: Who won the Kovalchuk trade? Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:29 am

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

Devo wrote:

First, I laugh at those that look at Oduya and Bergfors and state that they are not quality pieces. Really...how many New Jersey games do you watch each year....I'm guessing 4-6 (when they play the sens and then a couple on NBC when they play the rangers).

Both players are vastly underrated, and to state that Atlanta needed to get more than a solid puck moving defense man, a promising young scorer, and a hard nosed (and risky) player in Cormier plus a #1 for a guy who many believe it going to the KHL next year then you're losing your mind.

Kovalchuk is rumored to have his eyes squarely set on the KHL. There are a handful of teams who could afford his 10 million a year asking price, and none of them are in a position to offer than money and still put a competitive team together. He knows that, and from what I'm told intends to return to Mother Russia this summer for good.

I personally think New Jersey lost the trade, because they gave up a #1 pick, a good young player in Cormier (even with his issues) and a mainstay on their D in Oduya, plus a player who in 5 years many will consider a top 4 forward on any team. All this for a guy who will be around for no more than 5 months.

Devo

Again, you look at FLA and JBo, and that could have been ATL's fate, too. Bergfors, Oduya, Cormier, and an extra first rounder looks a hell of a lot sweeter than a 3rd and Leopold.

People will view this trade differently when Kovalchuk walks away from NJ, which he almost certainly will. No way Lam pays him the $11 mil / yr he's seeking -- he's got major pieces to re-sign in the not too distant future, starting with Zach "the franchise going forward" Parise and Jamie "captain USA" Langenbrunner, both guys who need re-signing in the next calendar year or so and who are in line for major raises.

The only way NJ does anything close to win this trade is if a) Kovalchuk re-signs (super unlikely) or b) NJ makes it out of the east and to the finals. I'm not sure anything less than a cup will suffice for the latter, tho'.

43Who won the Kovalchuk trade? - Page 3 Empty Re: Who won the Kovalchuk trade? Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:01 am

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

I think Lou is starting to believe in the false reports of the Devils magically winning with a "no-name" defense.

Hockey fans know what Oduya is worth and Lou is going to find out, the hard way in the long run.

As with any deal, time will tell, but the Devils got a Superstar and the Thrashers got some nice assets. I don't think ATL addressed an immediate need, however, as I suggested they might want to do. But this looks like a good medium-term deal for them.

I vote Even Steven.

44Who won the Kovalchuk trade? - Page 3 Empty Re: Who won the Kovalchuk trade? Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:08 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Very impressed with them getting Oduya and Bergfors. If I was a Thrashers fan I would have been really hoping for Tenenby, but Cormier isn't worthless. It's a tidy trade, I'm surprised at the reaction from people to be honest.

However....what Waddell does from here on in is important too. He needs to trade for some offence now - and I can imagine there are a few GMs that might be pissed that they lost this sweeps and drive the price up.

45Who won the Kovalchuk trade? - Page 3 Empty Re: Who won the Kovalchuk trade? Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:09 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

SeawaySensFan wrote:I think Lou is starting to believe in the false reports of the Devils magically winning with a "no-name" defense.

Hockey fans know what Oduya is worth and Lou is going to find out, the hard way in the long run.

As with any deal, time will tell, but the Devils got a Superstar and the Thrashers got some nice assets. I don't think ATL addressed an immediate need, however, as I suggested they might want to do. But this looks like a good medium-term deal for them.

I vote Even Steven.

Agreed. Now both the ATL (offence) and NJ (D) need to make further trades.

46Who won the Kovalchuk trade? - Page 3 Empty Re: Who won the Kovalchuk trade? Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:23 am

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Did anyone catch this? http://twitter.com/kausatoday

For those interested, St. Louis and Ottawa were the mystery teams that kicked the tires on Kovalchuk. Bravo for their aggressiveness.

Who won the Kovalchuk trade? - Page 3 235689 Who won the Kovalchuk trade? - Page 3 805406

47Who won the Kovalchuk trade? - Page 3 Empty Re: Who won the Kovalchuk trade? Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:26 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Yeah, we were close apparently. But who were we giving up?....

48Who won the Kovalchuk trade? - Page 3 Empty Re: Who won the Kovalchuk trade? Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:28 am

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

SpezDispenser wrote:Yeah, we were close apparently. But who were we giving up?....

Not enough. Who won the Kovalchuk trade? - Page 3 159628

I, for one, could totally live without Kovalchuk on this team. In all seriousness, I think a Dumont, Brunette or The Wizard are far better fits.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 6]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum