GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Game 3 - Wed. Sept. 24 vs. PHI

+9
Phoenix30
shabbs
Jordo
COLLAR UP
jamvan
PKC
PTFlea
Cronie
Riprock
13 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down  Message [Page 4 of 5]

46Game 3 - Wed. Sept. 24 vs. PHI - Page 4 Empty Re: Game 3 - Wed. Sept. 24 vs. PHI Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:11 pm

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

asq2 wrote:Lee played quite well, I thought.

He needs to add about 10kmph to his shot, though.

Is it a heavier shot though? I appeared as if it was giving some problems and a couple of rebounds off.

47Game 3 - Wed. Sept. 24 vs. PHI - Page 4 Empty Re: Game 3 - Wed. Sept. 24 vs. PHI Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:17 pm

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

rooneypoo wrote:
PKC wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if Brenden Bell found a place on this team's bottom pairing.

Or maybe a 7th spot, at least.

I agree, he impressed me tonight (in spite of the give-away that led to the goal -- which Gerber should have had anyway). He was calm and cool with the puck, and moved it around quite well on the PP. I thought our PP was noticeably better tonight, in fact, albeit, I'm sure Alfie being in the mix helped that.

Great game from the bangers and crashers. Bass, Neil, and Foligno definitely looked like they belonged, and I'd be saying that even if Neil didn't pot 2. They played the type of game we need them to for us to be successful.

Liking the Smith and Kuba pairing. It's starting to feel comfortable already. I'm hoping Picard recovers and can get back on the ice sometime in the next few days -- I want to see more from him. Lee looked a lot better tonight compared to Saturday.

Good defensive effort overall, although you have to wonder how much that has to do with the line up Philly ice... no Richards, Carter, Timonen, Coburn, Biron... we were playing a very inexperienced D and it showed.

I loved the style of play tonight as well. I think the Hartsburg message is getting through mixed with the character of some of the younger guys. Foligno, Neil, Winchester, Bass - all solid. Lee did an excellent job of keeping it simple and moving the puck, Bell I was okay with, he wasn't exceptional, but he was fairly solid.

I think the biggest surprise for me thus far is Jason Smith. I love the way he lets it go at every opportunity - I wish all of our defenders would do that when there's traffic. Let it go, get it through. Come to think of it, Kuba was very good at that as well (one horrific giveaway, but that's pre-season).

The key to this game was the ability to grind the Flyers down a bit, but with the powerplays the Flyers had towards the end, Timmonen and Richards would've change things around a little I think. Those are the 2 on the backend of a PP, both who have crazy shots.

But still, overall I'm very please. It could have and should have been a much more lobsided score.

48Game 3 - Wed. Sept. 24 vs. PHI - Page 4 Empty Re: Game 3 - Wed. Sept. 24 vs. PHI Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:46 pm

Riprock

All-Star
All-Star

Who do you put on the 6th defence spot? Picard or Bell?

Bell's got the one-year deal, vs. Picard, who is younger, also a two-way deal.

49Game 3 - Wed. Sept. 24 vs. PHI - Page 4 Empty Re: Game 3 - Wed. Sept. 24 vs. PHI Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:46 am

DashRiprock wrote:Who do you put on the 6th defence spot? Picard or Bell?

I thought Bell looked very nervous tonight. He had a couple of brutal plays but demonstrated the offensive upside. He really stepped up in the Philly zone though and showed flashes. I would chaulk up the giveaway on the first goal to nerves and trying too hard to push the play. Picard I am not sure of yet. The injury has limited his action and maybe his chance. Who knows.

50Game 3 - Wed. Sept. 24 vs. PHI - Page 4 Empty Re: Game 3 - Wed. Sept. 24 vs. PHI Thu Sep 25, 2008 6:59 am

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

DashRiprock wrote:Who do you put on the 6th defence spot? Picard or Bell?

I'm 99% sure that 6th spot is going to Picard. He's actually on a new 1-way, 2-year deal (signed this June with TB), so he's got the advantage there. He's also the guy Murray hand-picked in the Meszaros trade, so I think he's got the inside track there too, thinking of the organization as a whole.

I'd be in favour of carrying Bell as a 7th, in case of injury or crappy play from one of the regular 6. I don't know where this leaves Schubert, tho'.

I want to see more from Picard still, however. I hope he's ready to go now and will play one or both of the next two games.

51Game 3 - Wed. Sept. 24 vs. PHI - Page 4 Empty Re: Game 3 - Wed. Sept. 24 vs. PHI Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:58 am

jamvan

jamvan
Veteran
Veteran

504Heater wrote:I'm gonna win a farmer's bet with Jam. Bass is going nowhere IMO.
You might be right buddy, he's playing really well. I love COdy Bass, but I think he might fall victim to the numbers this year. I hope Neil can put that type of play together all year. Let's see how he does on a road game, because he looked awesome.

52Game 3 - Wed. Sept. 24 vs. PHI - Page 4 Empty Re: Game 3 - Wed. Sept. 24 vs. PHI Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:00 am

jamvan

jamvan
Veteran
Veteran

504Heater wrote:
Phoenix30 wrote:Does anyone know of any sites I can go to watch the game on line. I'm stuck at work and this would help kill some of the next 12 hours.

I tried to find it so hard tonight. :D Nothin' doin'. I watched it just now (Mel PVRed it) and it was a very complete victory (for a pre-season game). It's at least good to know, ey?
Center Ice carried the game too, I hope people figured that out.

53Game 3 - Wed. Sept. 24 vs. PHI - Page 4 Empty Re: Game 3 - Wed. Sept. 24 vs. PHI Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:04 am

jamvan

jamvan
Veteran
Veteran

Also, it looks like Smith will be heading to Bingo, which is the right move.

54Game 3 - Wed. Sept. 24 vs. PHI - Page 4 Empty Re: Game 3 - Wed. Sept. 24 vs. PHI Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:18 am

Cronie

Cronie
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I keep hearing that Picard is indeed a hidden gem of sorts, and as you pointed out, Murray specifically hand-picked him, and knowing Murray's background and what he looks for, he must know or see something special that Picard will bring to the team and org.

55Game 3 - Wed. Sept. 24 vs. PHI - Page 4 Empty Re: Game 3 - Wed. Sept. 24 vs. PHI Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:28 am

jamvan

jamvan
Veteran
Veteran

Cronenbergfan wrote:I keep hearing that Picard is indeed a hidden gem of sorts, and as you pointed out, Murray specifically hand-picked him, and knowing Murray's background and what he looks for, he must know or see something special that Picard will bring to the team and org.
It's going to be interesting as to what happens, as there has been next to nothing said in regards to Schubert.

If I had to guess from play and what I've been told, Lee may in fact get sent down so he can play the top pairing in Bingo. So far the coaching staff aren't overly impressed by his play.

56Game 3 - Wed. Sept. 24 vs. PHI - Page 4 Empty Re: Game 3 - Wed. Sept. 24 vs. PHI Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:19 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

jamvan wrote:Also, it looks like Smith will be heading to Bingo, which is the right move.

Definitely. He's gonna be a really, really good player for us next year though. Nice poise.

57Game 3 - Wed. Sept. 24 vs. PHI - Page 4 Empty Re: Game 3 - Wed. Sept. 24 vs. PHI Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:20 am

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

Jamvan, Lee isn't leaving the Ottawa Sens anytime soon for Bingo, he is here to stay.

58Game 3 - Wed. Sept. 24 vs. PHI - Page 4 Empty Re: Game 3 - Wed. Sept. 24 vs. PHI Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:20 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

jamvan wrote:
If I had to guess from play and what I've been told, Lee may in fact get sent down so he can play the top pairing in Bingo. So far the coaching staff aren't overly impressed by his play.

Even after last night? Huh. If they feel he needs 20 games in Bingo to get his game to 100%, no one here can argue. There's no question that he's a top pairing D in the future, let's make sure he doesn't get screwed up along the way.

59Game 3 - Wed. Sept. 24 vs. PHI - Page 4 Empty Re: Game 3 - Wed. Sept. 24 vs. PHI Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:23 am

Cronie

Cronie
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Oh yeah, I'm all for another conditioning/development stint in Bingo if it helps shake off the rust. We need Lee ready to go, and that could be a step in the right direction. Plus, riding the bus is sometimes all the motivation one needs to get back on top of their game, you know.

60Game 3 - Wed. Sept. 24 vs. PHI - Page 4 Empty Re: Game 3 - Wed. Sept. 24 vs. PHI Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:26 am

jamvan

jamvan
Veteran
Veteran

504Heater wrote:
jamvan wrote:

Even after last night? Huh. If they feel he needs 20 games in Bingo to get his game to 100%, no one here can argue. There's no question that he's a top pairing D in the future, let's make sure he doesn't get screwed up along the way.
I just remember Lee from junior, he wasn't overly offensive. Are we expecting something that's not really there?

61Game 3 - Wed. Sept. 24 vs. PHI - Page 4 Empty Re: Game 3 - Wed. Sept. 24 vs. PHI Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:30 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

jamvan wrote:
504Heater wrote:
jamvan wrote:

I just remember Lee from junior, he wasn't overly offensive. Are we expecting something that's not really there?

Maybe...he's a puck mover for sure, nice snap passes, but maybe he's not really the PP guy we're waiting for. Although, he's such a clean passer, maybe if we have the big shot of Kuba or Picard or Schubert on the line, he can be making the passes to them - or to the forwards down low.

But the only two guys that I've seen get the puck to the net on a PP are Kuba and Smith (I love this guy).

Plus, Jam, have you noticed Lee's shot? It's really heavy, deceptive as well. It might give off a lot of rebounds and if that's the case our big guns - especially Heatley might have a field day with that.

I dunno...tricky situation.

62Game 3 - Wed. Sept. 24 vs. PHI - Page 4 Empty Re: Game 3 - Wed. Sept. 24 vs. PHI Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:02 am

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

jamvan wrote:
Cronenbergfan wrote:I keep hearing that Picard is indeed a hidden gem of sorts, and as you pointed out, Murray specifically hand-picked him, and knowing Murray's background and what he looks for, he must know or see something special that Picard will bring to the team and org.
It's going to be interesting as to what happens, as there has been next to nothing said in regards to Schubert.

I, too, think that this may be a possibility, which is something that I wouldn't have said a month ago. I can't imagine him spending the entire season there -- maybe just 10-20 games or so -- but he's on a 2-way deal, he hasn't been standout, and we've got all kinds of competitive for spots on D, including from guys on 1-way deals (Picard, Schubert).

Murray was really high on him last year, saying Lee is now an NHLer, but you never say never in this business...

63Game 3 - Wed. Sept. 24 vs. PHI - Page 4 Empty Re: Game 3 - Wed. Sept. 24 vs. PHI Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:06 am

jamvan

jamvan
Veteran
Veteran

rooneypoo wrote:
jamvan wrote:

I, too, think that this may be a possibility, which is something that I wouldn't have said a month ago. I can't imagine him spending the entire season there -- maybe just 10-20 games or so -- but he's on a 2-way deal, he hasn't been standout, and we've got all kinds of competitive for spots on D, including from guys on 1-way deals (Picard, Schubert).

Murray was really high on him last year, saying Lee is now an NHLer, but you never say never in this business...
What do you think it does to his confidence if he gets sent down?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 4 of 5]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum