GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Pat Burns says Vinny WILL be traded this year

5 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 3]

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Kovalfie wrote:
Kovalchuk?

Ohhh, good question. Ahhhhh! For Kovalchuk to get to the pinnacle of his powers I think he would need a passer who's worth 5-6 million dollars, which is going to be the road block that we ran into with Heatley and nobody wanting him. You want to farm your player like that (they have Kane too don't forget). Good question though...

In this NHL with the cap where it's at, I would sign him for 7, but I wouldn't go over that. There are too many complications that come with a cap hit of more than that. This is from someone who supported the Thrashers with their 8 million X 10 year contract they were rumoured to be floating around. Things have changed now. No one guy can win it all for you. In some instances I would rather three 3 million dollar players than one 9 million dollar player.

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

asq2 wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:Apparently it's not so much that he's been ousted by Stamkos as it is a ruse to get him to ask for a trade? I don't know about that but anyway, it's Tampa.

I think part of it probably stems from the fact that Stamkos, 10 years his junior, is outscoring him 17 to 6.

Give him back St.Louis and see what happens. There's a pretty major difference between St.Louis and let's say...Tanguay and Villenueux or whatever that dude's name is.

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I also think we have to be really, really careful on who we sign or trade for from now on. Cory Clouson LOVES the Mike Fisher type of player and his system allows for those kind of guys to flourish, whereas someone like Kovalev or Spezza might not fit into this kind of system properly.

Perhaps Murray's an actual genius because Fat Penner's exactly the kind of guy who would do well under Clouston. But...that genius status is taken away when he signed Kovalev.

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

SpezDispenser wrote:
Kovalfie wrote:
Kovalchuk?

Ohhh, good question. Pat Burns says Vinny WILL be traded this year - Page 3 805406 For Kovalchuk to get to the pinnacle of his powers I think he would need a passer who's worth 5-6 million dollars, which is going to be the road block that we ran into with Heatley and nobody wanting him. You want to farm your player like that (they have Kane too don't forget). Good question though...

In this NHL with the cap where it's at, I would sign him for 7, but I wouldn't go over that. There are too many complications that come with a cap hit of more than that. This is from someone who supported the Thrashers with their 8 million X 10 year contract they were rumoured to be floating around. Things have changed now. No one guy can win it all for you. In some instances I would rather three 3 million dollar players than one 9 million dollar player.

He doesn't need a passer. His offensive games is pretty similar to Ovechkin - not as rough and tumble, but he might be an even better play-maker. He doesn't need anyone to create scoring chances for him.

Since the lock-out he's scored 52, 42, 52, 43 and this year he's on pace for 57 goals. And that's with varying levels of talent around him.

Kovalchuk is one of the five best offensive players in the game. After Crosby, Ovechkin and Malkin, I can't think of anyone who's clearly ahead of him. Thornton and Parise might be on a comparable level.

I would give up a ****load for Kovalchuk. He would be the best player offensively speaking that this team has ever had.

I hope he re-signs in Atlanta, though. They're building a great team and I think that will sell tickets there.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

asq2 wrote:He doesn't need a passer. His offensive games is pretty similar to Ovechkin - not as rough and tumble, but he might be an even better play-maker. He doesn't need anyone to create scoring chances for him.

Since the lock-out he's scored 52, 42, 52, 43 and this year he's on pace for 57 goals. And that's with varying levels of talent around him.

Kovalchuk is one of the five best offensive players in the game. After Crosby, Ovechkin and Malkin, I can't think of anyone who's clearly ahead of him. Thornton and Parise might be on a comparable level.

I would give up a ****load for Kovalchuk. He would be the best player offensively speaking that this team has ever had.

I hope he re-signs in Atlanta, though. They're building a great team and I think that will sell tickets there.

Agreed, but like Nash and even Heatley to a degree, a great passer only lifts his powers higher. Look at Nash in the World Cup or whatever that was with Getzlaf feeding him. Same with Heatley in SJ. These guys can do it alone - and they're paid to do it alone, but if you give them one more all-star playmaker, then the sky is literally the limit.

For all the 57 goals that Kovalchuk is on pace for, I doubt he's on pace for 100 points - and he's had a pretty stellar start to the year.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Wait a minute! Did Burns say Vinny would be traded this year?!?!? Pat Burns says Vinny WILL be traded this year - Page 3 235689 Pat Burns says Vinny WILL be traded this year - Page 3 805406

Last edited by SeawaySensFan on Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:14 pm; edited 1 time in total

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I have a question: how the Diddle would Burns know?

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

SpezDispenser wrote:I have a question: how the Diddle would Burns know?

Wait a minute! Are we talking about Pat Burns?!?!? Pat Burns says Vinny WILL be traded this year - Page 3 235689 Pat Burns says Vinny WILL be traded this year - Page 3 805406

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

SpezDispenser wrote:
asq2 wrote:He doesn't need a passer. His offensive games is pretty similar to Ovechkin - not as rough and tumble, but he might be an even better play-maker. He doesn't need anyone to create scoring chances for him.

Agreed, but like Nash and even Heatley to a degree, a great passer only lifts his powers higher. Look at Nash in the World Cup or whatever that was with Getzlaf feeding him. Same with Heatley in SJ. These guys can do it alone - and they're paid to do it alone, but if you give them one more all-star playmaker, then the sky is literally the limit.

For all the 57 goals that Kovalchuk is on pace for, I doubt he's on pace for 100 points - and he's had a pretty stellar start to the year.

Technically, you're correct there. He's on pace for 97 points in 76 games. Pat Burns says Vinny WILL be traded this year - Page 3 270956

He's benefitting from playing with Peverley, for sure. All I'm saying is, Kovalchuk is like the very rich man's Kessel: as the Genius says, you don't not acquire him because you're concerned about who will complement him.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

asq2 wrote:
Technically, you're correct there. He's on pace for 97 points in 76 games. Pat Burns says Vinny WILL be traded this year - Page 3 270956

He's benefitting from playing with Peverley, for sure. All I'm saying is, Kovalchuk is like the very rich man's Kessel: as the Genius says, you don't not acquire him because you're concerned about who will complement him.

Yeah, fair enough. It'll be interesting to see if Atlanta can get it done - perhaps in the 10 years 70-75 million area.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Hang on a second here. By "Vinny" he surely can't mean "Lecavalier"?!??!?!! Pat Burns says Vinny WILL be traded this year - Page 3 235689 Pat Burns says Vinny WILL be traded this year - Page 3 805406

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

SeawaySensFan wrote:Hang on a second here. By "Vinny" he surely can't mean "Lecavalier"?!??!?!! Pat Burns says Vinny WILL be traded this year - Page 3 235689 Pat Burns says Vinny WILL be traded this year - Page 3 805406

Fluff. Ahhhhh!

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

SpezDispenser wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:Hang on a second here. By "Vinny" he surely can't mean "Lecavalier"?!??!?!! Pat Burns says Vinny WILL be traded this year - Page 3 235689 Pat Burns says Vinny WILL be traded this year - Page 3 805406

Fluff. Pat Burns says Vinny WILL be traded this year - Page 3 805406

Interesting analysis. Pat Burns says Vinny WILL be traded this year - Page 3 663118

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum