GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Pat Burns says Vinny WILL be traded this year

5 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 3]

SpezDispenser wrote:We're not talking Jason Spezza here, I doubt Tampa Bay would trade him for another under-achieving, high-priced C.

I think we're talking our next 2 1st Round Picks, Cowen and something else of value. Probably not Michalek because they would know that he's one of the guys we WON'T deal. Don't underestimate how much he's still worth.

So what do you propose we do with Spezza? Is the plan to have 20+ tied up in our top-3 centers, two of which are playing like they should be paid 3M less than they are?

strachattack wrote:
Gohan wrote:
strachattack wrote:Could Ottawa purchase their next Captain in a trade for Vinny? Surely, Ottawa could put together a pretty competitive package for the guy. Better than Montreal potentially. Would it be worth it though?

I've seen this brought up a few times now. Are you guys all forgetting that he had major surgery and hasn't been the same since? SD you were one of the major voices (N4L too I believe) in saying that he might not ever be the same again. Now you all want to trade for him? What gives?

I think I missed that thread. I didn't realize he had a surgery and was possibly on a downward slope career wise. I was just thinking that if Spezza isn't considered our future Captain and someone you want to build a team around perhaps Vinny could be a stop-gap between Alfie and one of our home grown prospects. Of course, Fisher is the likely candidate if he can continue playing the way he has. I was just curious what you guys thought.

I'm not a fan, but you can't argue with the skill he's displayed... I leave the trade proposals to the GMs though...and not the ones here Pat Burns says Vinny WILL be traded this year - Page 2 Icon_wink

Cap'n Clutch

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Gohan wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:We're not talking Jason Spezza here, I doubt Tampa Bay would trade him for another under-achieving, high-priced C.

I think we're talking our next 2 1st Round Picks, Cowen and something else of value. Probably not Michalek because they would know that he's one of the guys we WON'T deal. Don't underestimate how much he's still worth.

So what do you propose we do with Spezza? Is the plan to have 20+ tied up in our top-3 centers, two of which are playing like they should be paid 3M less than they are?

Well said. No way we're even consdering it with Spezza here. I personally don't like the idea even if we had moved Spezza for picks and high end cheap prospects.

Cap'n Clutch wrote:
Gohan wrote:

Well said. No way we're even consdering it with Spezza here. I personally don't like the idea even if we had moved Spezza for picks and cheap prospects.

fixed. You'd be lucky to get both for him at this point...forget the "high-end" part...that isn't happening.

...which is why he won't get traded mid-season. If they trade him, it'll be at the draft and they'll be taking a return none of us will be pleased with. WE should all be praying for Spezza to turn it around.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Gohan wrote:I've seen this brought up a few times now. Are you guys all forgetting that he had major surgery and hasn't been the same since? SD you were one of the major voices (N4L too I believe) in saying that he might not ever be the same again. Now you all want to trade for him? What gives?

Me? I think I'm okay without adding Vinny personally. If he was 100% healed and this was just a rough patch, then maybe, but it's not really necessary.

strachattack

strachattack
Rookie
Rookie

Gohan wrote:
strachattack wrote:
Gohan wrote:
strachattack wrote:Could Ottawa purchase their next Captain in a trade for Vinny? Surely, Ottawa could put together a pretty competitive package for the guy. Better than Montreal potentially. Would it be worth it though?

I've seen this brought up a few times now. Are you guys all forgetting that he had major surgery and hasn't been the same since? SD you were one of the major voices (N4L too I believe) in saying that he might not ever be the same again. Now you all want to trade for him? What gives?

I think I missed that thread. I didn't realize he had a surgery and was possibly on a downward slope career wise. I was just thinking that if Spezza isn't considered our future Captain and someone you want to build a team around perhaps Vinny could be a stop-gap between Alfie and one of our home grown prospects. Of course, Fisher is the likely candidate if he can continue playing the way he has. I was just curious what you guys thought.

I'm not a fan, but you can't argue with the skill he's displayed... I leave the trade proposals to the GMs though...and not the ones here Pat Burns says Vinny WILL be traded this year - Page 2 Icon_wink

Yeah, fair enough, thanks! I guess my underlying concern is Spezza and what to do with him. I wished we had the luxury of time on our side in determining whether this is just an "off" year or two for the guy but that NTC on July 1st has some pretty scary implications in the long term. I don't mean to derail this thread into one about Spezza again though. I just thought if we could swap Spezza+ for Vinny I would consider doing it at this point. That is until you mentioned Vinny might be half as effective as he used to be.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Lecavalier is signed until 2020! Pat Burns says Vinny WILL be traded this year - Page 2 235689 Pat Burns says Vinny WILL be traded this year - Page 2 805406 I think if they want to move him they may be less-than-pleased with the offers.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

SeawaySensFan wrote:Lecavalier is signed until 2020! Pat Burns says Vinny WILL be traded this year - Page 2 235689 Pat Burns says Vinny WILL be traded this year - Page 2 805406 I think if they want to move him they may be less-than-pleased with the offers.

Not to mention that he makes 8 million or whatever it is.

And I don't kid when I say that there will be less (to no) more of 6+ million contracts. Those have finally started to go the way of the dodo. Kane and Toews will be considered the absolute max, anything more and the team signing is getting screwed unless it's Crosby or Malkin.

And even then...it's hard to justify that significant amount of cash unless it's someone who's a perennial Hart Nominee.

SpezDispenser wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:Lecavalier is signed until 2020! Pat Burns says Vinny WILL be traded this year - Page 2 235689 Pat Burns says Vinny WILL be traded this year - Page 2 805406 I think if they want to move him they may be less-than-pleased with the offers.

Not to mention that he makes 8 million or whatever it is.

And I don't kid when I say that there will be less (to no) more of 6+ million contracts. Those have finally started to go the way of the dodo. Kane and Toews will be considered the absolute max, anything more and the team signing is getting screwed unless it's Crosby or Malkin.

And even then...it's hard to justify that significant amount of cash unless it's someone who's a perennial Hart Nominee.

Kovalchuk?

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

Vincent Lecavalier File
29 years old
29 games played
6 goals, 24 points
30 hits

Career:
693 points in 831 games
33 points in 45 playoff games
2 seasons above 80 points
1 Rocket Richard Trophy (that was his awesome season)
Stanley Cup, but as auxiliary to St. Louis and Richards
1 King Clancy Memorial Trophy
2-time Captain of the same team
Cap Hit: $7,727,273
Duration of Contract: 11 more years (until he's 40)

Ultimately, the cap hit's a killer. He had that one awesome season a couple years ago where he was probably the best player in the league. If that was the player we were acquiring (at that cap hit) then maybe Cowen enters into the equation. As it stands, I wouldn't go near him. He's a big guy but he's been playing small. He's been ousted from the top-line by Stamkos.

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

Kovalfie wrote:Kovalchuk?

At this point, Kovalchuk is a far, far more dangerous offensive player. He's also younger.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Apparently it's not so much that he's been ousted by Stamkos as it is a ruse to get him to ask for a trade? I don't know about that but anyway, it's Tampa.

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

SeawaySensFan wrote:Apparently it's not so much that he's been ousted by Stamkos as it is a ruse to get him to ask for a trade? I don't know about that but anyway, it's Tampa.

I think part of it probably stems from the fact that Stamkos, 10 years his junior, is outscoring him 17 to 6.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

asq2 wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:Apparently it's not so much that he's been ousted by Stamkos as it is a ruse to get him to ask for a trade? I don't know about that but anyway, it's Tampa.

I think part of it probably stems from the fact that Stamkos, 10 years his junior, is outscoring him 17 to 6.

I guess that has nothing to do with playing in between Tanguay and Halpern?

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Kovalfie wrote:
Kovalchuk?

Ohhh, good question. Ahhhhh! For Kovalchuk to get to the pinnacle of his powers I think he would need a passer who's worth 5-6 million dollars, which is going to be the road block that we ran into with Heatley and nobody wanting him. You want to farm your player like that (they have Kane too don't forget). Good question though...

In this NHL with the cap where it's at, I would sign him for 7, but I wouldn't go over that. There are too many complications that come with a cap hit of more than that. This is from someone who supported the Thrashers with their 8 million X 10 year contract they were rumoured to be floating around. Things have changed now. No one guy can win it all for you. In some instances I would rather three 3 million dollar players than one 9 million dollar player.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

asq2 wrote:

Give him back St.Louis and see what happens. There's a pretty major difference between St.Louis and let's say...Tanguay and Villenueux or whatever that dude's name is.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I also think we have to be really, really careful on who we sign or trade for from now on. Cory Clouson LOVES the Mike Fisher type of player and his system allows for those kind of guys to flourish, whereas someone like Kovalev or Spezza might not fit into this kind of system properly.

Perhaps Murray's an actual genius because Fat Penner's exactly the kind of guy who would do well under Clouston. But...that genius status is taken away when he signed Kovalev.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum