GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Latest Sens/Hawks Rumour: solid or smokescreen?

+17
Sens4thecup
KidKarlsson
Devo
Cap'n Clutch
SeawaySensFan
Flo The Action
davetherave
M_Christopher
PTFlea
asq2
Hoags
Sens19
LeCaptain
Hayden
rooneypoo
shabbs
dennycrane
21 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16, 17  Next

Go down  Message [Page 15 of 17]

Flo The Action

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

and if they want to make it work they have to do it this season and get guys that will be UFA...

Flo The Action wrote:trading campbell seems like the only solution.

Not in season.

shabbs wrote:Moving Huet would be good and help them a lot.

With who to come in? Truth be told Huet has been pretty solid for them as of late but if they cant add a legit number 1 guy, Huet is their best option.

I honestly think, in a year or two, their starting goaltender will be Brian Elliott.

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

Haha. Nice to see the consensus emerging on this one right about where I left it a week or so ago.

1) This rumour is BS. CHI will not be trading anything by way of core players (i.e., Barker, etc.) this year IN SEASON. If the tagging thing forces their hand, it will be Sopel they move.

2) OTT is a brutal fit for CHI in any event. Brutal.

3) Brian Campbell is the odd man out -- DURING THE OFF-SEASON. All cap problems solved there with that one move.

Maybe I should write these things in all-caps so they don't get skipped over... Smile

rooneypoo wrote:Haha. Nice to see the consensus emerging on this one right about where I left it a week or so ago.

1) This rumour is BS. CHI will not be trading anything by way of core players (i.e., Barker, etc.) this year IN SEASON. If the tagging thing forces their hand, it will be Sopel they move.

3) Brian Campbell is the odd man out -- DURING THE OFF-SEASON. All cap problems solved there with that one move.

Maybe I should write these things in all-caps so they don't get skipped over... Smile

Mmmm, I dunno about that... I think there are a couple things that could happen with Ottawa but things have to play out in both cities.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Moving Cambell will clear a lot of space and help them out for sure. If they move Huet, then they'll be starting all over again in net, which can be dangerous. Lots of tough decisions to make for the Hawks.

Their current roster certainly has the makings for a deep cup run so I don't expect many changes during the season, if any as they'll want to keep a good thing going.

They sure lit up the Sharks last night. Welcome back Hossa.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Doesn't that "tagging" issue force them to make a move though?

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

SeawaySensFan wrote:Doesn't that "tagging" issue force them to make a move though?

I would think that if that is the case then they'll hold off on the new contracts until the summer.

- Unknown Author

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Cap'n Clutch wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:Doesn't that "tagging" issue force them to make a move though?

I would think that if that is the case then they'll hold off on the new contracts until the summer.

As Mike Eastwood said, the players might want to force the issue to protect themselves now in the event of a career-ending injury.

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

N4L wrote:
rooneypoo wrote:Haha. Nice to see the consensus emerging on this one right about where I left it a week or so ago.

Mmmm, I dunno about that... I think there are a couple things that could happen with Ottawa but things have to play out in both cities.

Oh, I hear that. IF OTT falls out of the playoff picture, then I could definitely see CHI being interested in Volchenkov. IF CHI decided to move Campbell in June, I could see OTT being interested.

What I meant -- and what I've been saying since these rumours started surfacing - was that a dollars-for-dollars trade or thereabouts, in season and right now, between OTT and CHI is not in the cards and makes no sense. OTT doesn't have the cap space to accommodate a lot of money coming in; OTT doesn't have a lot of what CHI wants -- good players on expiring contracts -- in return; and, ultimately, CHI doesn't really have to do much this year at all -- I have to think they'll move or demote Sopel before they do any tinkering with the rest of that team.

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

Sounds like that issue has been exaggerated. It looks like a small move, ala trading / waiving Sopel, would be enough to get CHI's books OK for this year. I don't know about you, but I think I eat $1.5 mil or whatever Sopel has left in salary owed this year rather than tinker with a team that is a legitimate Stanley Cup contender.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

rooneypoo wrote:

Sounds like that issue has been exaggerated. It looks like a small move, ala trading / waiving Sopel, would be enough to get CHI's books OK for this year. I don't know about you, but I think I eat $1.5 mil or whatever Sopel has left in salary owed this year rather than tinker with a team that is a legitimate Stanley Cup contender.

Interesting stuff. So I guess all that's left to do is sit and wait for this trade to go through the league office?

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

If they don't make a move this season, they'll have to wait to announce those big contract extensions at the end of the season.

And next year, well, we all know how that looks now.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

shabbs wrote:If they don't make a move this season, they'll have to wait to announce those big contract extensions at the end of the season.

And next year, well, we all know how that looks now.

Which brings us back to Mike "Easty" Eastwood's point.

Personally I wouldn't mnd being in the Hawks position right now... We are the hottest team in the league who just got better by adding our big offseason UFA to the lineup and have all this fantastic young talent that has committed to signing with us long term. Now we just need to figure out how to work around the cumbersome CBA to announce it?!

Not too bad.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Yeah, a nice problem to have this year. And I fully expect them to challenge for the Cup this year.

After thrashing San Jose last night, that is probably a safe bet. Seems that their only potential weakness is in goal.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

MurderOnIce wrote:After thrashing San Jose last night, that is probably a safe bet. Seems that their only potential weakness is in goal.

You mean the game that Dany Heatley was a -4 in? Smile

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 15 of 17]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16, 17  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum