GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Cory Clouston & the Sens: new beginning, or same results?

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Cronie

Cronie
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I had to wait a day or so after the Tampa Bay blowout before making sure I wasn't still high from that tilt. It's now Saturday late morning and I am anxiously waiting for the Habs and Sens tilt this evening and I thought now would be a good time to throw out some thoughts I have had recently in regards to my beloved Sens.

I honestly cannot remember when The Sens have ever had this much depth, to be able to pick and choose forwards or defense. Now, we're not SUPER deep, but from a fan from day #1, I don't think I've ever been more comfortable with our lineup and with the current direction they find themselves in.

Now, I know things can change on the drop of a dime, in fact, ALL Sens fans know this I believe, but considering what we as Sens fans have had to endure recently, be it not making the playoffs last year and then dealing with a whinning little bastard commonly known as Heatley, this current state of affairs isn't super great but it certainly doesn't suck either!

I noticed this little thing the other day, and I must give props/kudos to a good friend Jammer a.k.a. JamVan, for pointing this out to me because I had noticed this very thing recently as well:Clouston, on all accounts right now, seems to 'get it.' What I mean is, has anyone else noticed that the Sens are NOT being played out. Think about it, when they were under Paddock and Hartsburg's tutelage, respectively, the one thing you could count on was that the "cash line" would be getting some SERIOUS ice time and their worn-out bodies would pay the price. This is ALSO where the prevalence of depth comes in because Clouston has options to piece together lines that could work. Not to mention, he seems (in my opinion anyway) to fully grasp and understand what EACH Senator brings to the table and thus to the team, and so he knows who should, perhaps in theory anyway, compliment each player than perhaps some others. Either way, the players seem to be responding positively to Clouston's aggressive forechecking philosophy and up-tempo play.

Now, couple that with the overall collective sigh of relief the organization AND the Fans all let out when that sniveling little prick Heatley FINALLY left town and we brought in two players who WANT to be here (or rather who didn't fit the move anyway) and wish to do all they can to help their team WIN instead of worrying decreased ice-time. There is some good foundations being laid in the Nation's capital, and I, for one, am very excited at what this season could hold. I have NO misconceptions of my boys in Red hoisting the Cup this year, although who knows right?! All this to say that after two seasons of a disastrous downward spiral, seeing the boys actually playing for one-another and standing up for one-another and having fun whilst doing it is certainly a step in the right direction, not to mention a fantastic change of events from this fans perspective anyway.

Lastly,no one is happier seeing LeClair in between pipes, and he's backed up by an extremely capable Elliott to boot. I don't expect the moon or a cup by any means, but this is the first time since the late 2000's that I have a comfortable, almost upbeat feeling about my Sens.

What say you?

Share this post on: reddit

I don't think our depth is the calibre of 2005-2006, but I don't think this team on paper is much worse than the one from the subsequent year (post-tough start).

I still don't like Karlsson and Campoli as a pairing, though. I saw Karlsson briefly with Phillips last game and I just thought that made so much more sense. People can criticize and say that Phillips becomes less effective "baby-sitting" Karlsson (and I'm not sure he does), but on the other hand Erik becomes so much more effective.

Thankfully, when Kuba returns, whoever of Campoli or Karlsson stays in the line-up will play with him.

On the whole, though, yeah. Between Clouston and the depth we have (organizationally, all aspects are pretty strong), as well as our drafting, there's a lot to be thankful for.

I also like that this team is beating teams that it should beat, like Tampa Bay, NYI, Toronto, Atlanta etc. That used to be a problem for us, but I think it shows a better approach from our players in that they're not going to play down to the level of opposition.

LethalLehner

Post Sat Oct 17, 2009 11:37 am by LethalLehner

I completely agree with what you say Cronie. I don't cringe when the puck is headed towards our net anymore. Sure Leclaire has let in a couple but there are just some pucks that you can't stop. The depth that we now have is for better than I have seen in years. The players have really bought into Clouston's system and that was never more apparent than the 7-1 win over the Islanders. The players even got very excited for Michalek when he scored his first NHL hat trick. I know it is early but right now this is a team that is playing for each other and just not for themselves. Spezza had a really good hit on Thursday and though it was only one, I feel it shows that he is trying harder to be a better all around player. Maybe cutting the Heatley cord was just what Spezza needed.

Cap'n Clutch

Post Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:11 am by Cap'n Clutch

I realize we're a biased bunch here but, it's interesting to note that most Sens fans gave Clouston credit for what he accomplished last season and figured we could expect more of the same, in terms of results, team attitude, and systems. Most analysts however, simply chalked it up to being pressure free hockey and expected the Sens to be around 500 by the end of the season and not in the playoffs. I wonder if the Sens are 10 - 2 or 9 - 3 by the end of October if the analysts will still feel the same way?

The analysts will probably chalk it up to an easy schedule and the top team in the division struggling. Then they'll say that Boston will surely turn it around since Thomas is a Vezina/All-Star goalie, and Lucic is a beast who's only gone a month and a half at most. They will completely ignore the fact that Montreal and Toronto are as likely to be mathematically eliminated by Valentine's Day as they are of making the playoffs (that's two more teams initially ranked ahead of the Sens, and more points for the Sens to grab) or that Buffalo is probably going to run into even more injury problems and are just not scoring enough goals to continue winning.

I really, really want the Sens to play hard on Thursday and not be looking ahead to Saturday. Better teams than us have done this in the past. It's Clouston's job to make sure it doesn't happen. Then we face the Bees on Saturday with no Lucic or Kobasew in the lineup. Again, there may be a tendency to take that team lightly, but let's not forget all the players they had out of their lineup when they beat us in the pre-season.

A full 60 minute effort from everyone should give us 4 points in these next two games, and will likely silence at least some of the critics/analysts.

Cap'n Clutch

Post Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:32 am by Cap'n Clutch

I agree with you Prages. For now the analysts will shrug it off as irrelevant. They will have to then turn to the old - The team is far exceeding expectations - or the old - The players are playing over their heads right now.

When we hit March, assuming the Sens are still top 4 in the East, then we'll finally see something like this - Are the Sens for real?.

I agree with you Prags, up until maybe after this weekend, all the so-called 'experts' will be saying the schedule is to blame for Ottawa's good start, but at some point soon people are going to HAVE to look at Cory Clouston and his excellent record since taking over the Sens and wonder if maybe, just maybe, Ottawa finally has its first real coach since Murray himself.

Also, we're seeing what a joke last year was with our 'depth'. Ha ha. This year we have depth, last year we had nothing. You put Kovalev and Alfredsson on line 2 with Mike Fisher, you have room to manoever. You put Milan Michalek with Jason Spezza, you're staring at a top 2 lines who are very difficult to stop. Frankly, I wouldn't mind seeing Shannon on line one for a while with Milan and Spezza. Good luck even catching up to those 2 - and again, I feel Milan is making Spezza move his feet.

We'll be out-skilled from time to time, but Clouston will have them working their arses off ALL the time, so no lapses in effort - and that excites me a lot.

Now Savard is also out. Cory is going to have his hands full getting the team to *not* think of this game as a cake walk.

wprager wrote:Now Savard is also out. Cory is going to have his hands full getting the team to *not* think of this game as a cake walk.

We've been deplorable against the Bruins for the last...for as long as I can remember actually. Anyone who takes them lightly sits the following game IMO.

Kobasew always killed us. He won't be in the lineup.

Cap'n Clutch

Post Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:44 am by Cap'n Clutch

Wow. No Savard, no Kobasew, no Lucic, no Kessel. This should be 2 points for the home team. Here's hoping they deal with the Preds first and are not taking either team lightly. If they play like they're capable of playing it'll be 4 points for the Sens at the buzzer on Saturday.

It's this kind of thinking unfortunately that has hurt us in the past. Losing a season series to the Leafs and Islanders, for example. I really think, though, that Clouston is a better coach than to let this happen. And I'm really, really hoping that I'm right.

Clouston will lean on them to play every game with the work ethic that emerged at the end of last season and that they've shown so far this season.

I'm with Cronie, CC "gets it."

Cap'n Clutch

Post Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:19 pm by Cap'n Clutch

I'm just glad that even if I get excited and overlook teams it has absolutely no relevance in terms of how the Sens prepare and play the games.

They weren't that awesome against the Rangers. That's what worries me. Plus they managed to give away a point to Toronto. The one game they played great was against the Lightning. Although they played well against the Pens and were victimized by a couple lucky bounces, they still lost that game. All I'm saying is that we are not so far removed from a lackluster effort that we should rule out the possibility. I always worry about possibilities.

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum