GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

GAME DAY: Ottawa Senators @ New York Rangers - 7:00pm ET - Sat. Oct. 3rd, 2009

+19
davetherave
Hockeyhero22000
asq2
The Silfer Server
Sens19
Vandelay
Riprock
Number Twenty Nine
LethalLehner
Sp00nz
beerandsens
PTFlea
SensFan71
LeCaptain
wprager
spader
PKC
shabbs
23 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15, 16  Next

Go down  Message [Page 14 of 16]

He will get pissed eventually about playing down in Bingo. He's not going anywhere and he's a RH shot to paly with Phillips or Cowen in the future.

So ya, don't say I have never said anything positive about Lee because it simply isnt true. I think what I said in Sept is 100% accurate about him.

As far as A Train goes, he needs to step up. The finals were a long time ago. He isnt as valuable to a team trying to make the playoffs as opposed to a team looking to win the cup.

Vandelay wrote:I'm gonna chalk up all comments before page 13 to post game binge drinking...really lacking perspective.We're one game into the season! I guess if you went in thinking Leclaire was getting a shut out and the team was going to score 5+ goals, last night didn't look good. I went in looking for positive steps and although I had to resort to listening on team 1200, sounded like some good things happening.Not sure why Clouston waited so long to mix up the lines...Kovalev didn't do anything all night. Although Spezza didn't have a lot of offensive chances, he played well defensively (that in itself is a huge fist positive step).We use these fist 10 games to figure out what works and what doesn't. By game 11, Clouston will know what works and what doesn't. Until then, a little less emphasis on the win/loss column will be good for everyone's liver.

Ottawa can't afford to be droping games early, thats the thing. The East is way too tight and the schedual is way too weak for The Sens to be playing anything other then winning hockey.

Couston was my biggest concern last night for sure along with A Train. I didnt really go off about anything else.

Vandelay

Sophomore
Sophomore

N4L wrote:

Ottawa can't afford to be droping games early, thats the thing. The East is way too tight and the schedual is way too weak for The Sens to be playing anything other then winning hockey.

Couston was my biggest concern last night for sure along with A Train. I didnt really go off about anything else.
Agreed...but less emphasis doesn't mean no concern over a 0-10 record.  We'll win some games, we'll lose some.  I just think early on the focus should be on figuring out what works and what doesn't and it didn't seem like Clouston was doing that last night.  

Well, how obvious was it that Foligno/Regin/Fisher worked in the pre season you know? It was obvious Michalek and Spezza had nothing, it was obvious Cheechoo was struggling with Shannon.

Clouston better figure it out quick because besides 1 shift with FRF there was no chemistry up front, none.

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

FOligno with Cheechoo is a baaaaad idea IMO. Each one played good individually, yet they lose the puck as soon as they try to make a pass.

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

Agreed with N4L about Campoli and Karlsson. WTF was the logic behidn that?

Exactly, there were A LOT of dumb decisions by Clouston last night, a lot. He has to shape up just as much as anyone who played. It's good to be demanding but if you're a moron behind the bench it doesnt matter. Last night he was.

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

ON another note, I loved the 4th line last night. Even got some good scoring opportunities. I odn't mind the salary if they play like that all year.

Did Kelly play? I didnt see him out there once. Ruutu was decent and Neil was a beast... hopefully other guys take notice of him.

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

marakh wrote:FOligno with Cheechoo is a baaaaad idea IMO. Each one played good individually, yet they lose the puck as soon as they try to make a pass.

Foligno has to be a combination of the best cycler but the worst at converting it into scoring chances in the league.

He's a good player that should ultimately develop into a 25-30 goal scorer, but once we get it down low there has to be more plays than just getting it back to the defencemen.

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

I've suggested these lines on numerous occasions before:

Cheechoo - Spezza - Alfredsson: Cheechoo's talents aren't going to get wasted playing alongside Spezza and Alfredsson (unlike Michalek's). Spezza and Alfredsson tend to play a pretty slow game and they don't have to adapt much here from playing with Heatley - Cheechoo can just stand around in the slot and cycle down low.

Michalek - Regin - Kovalev: I can't think of any explanation but it looks pretty good on paper and has a lot of talent and two-way play on it.

Foligno - Fisher - Shannon: why did we break these guys up? They had a tonne of chemistry.

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

I have yet to see Shannon play a bad game, I would give him better linemates.

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

Also, it's nice to have one or max two Mike Green style defensemen but when half your defensive core want to jump in the rush there will be massive counter attacks. I don't know if it's Clouston's advice, but I don't ever want to see Philips doing that when there was one forward ahead of him who could have shot. I would have probably been singing another tune if that goal went in, but it didn't.

This one is all on Clouston. It's his job to find what works, last night nothing worked except 1 shift with about 30 seconds left.

beerandsens

beerandsens
Sophomore
Sophomore

Agreed...but less emphasis doesn't mean no concern over a 0-10 record. We'll win some games, we'll lose some. I just think early on the focus should be on figuring out what works and what doesn't and it didn't seem like Clouston was doing that last night.

"Mental note: pulling our tendy while down 4-1 didn't work..." GAME DAY: Ottawa Senators @ New York Rangers - 7:00pm ET - Sat. Oct. 3rd, 2009 - Page 14 455378

Sp00nz

Sp00nz
Rookie
Rookie

beerandsens wrote:
Agreed...but less emphasis doesn't mean no concern over a 0-10 record. We'll win some games, we'll lose some. I just think early on the focus should be on figuring out what works and what doesn't and it didn't seem like Clouston was doing that last night.

"Mental note: pulling our tendy while down 4-1 didn't work..." GAME DAY: Ottawa Senators @ New York Rangers - 7:00pm ET - Sat. Oct. 3rd, 2009 - Page 14 455378

Yeah I didn't understand that either. Clouston made some mistakes last night, lets just hope its a bit of rust that he'll shake off.

beerandsens wrote:

Ya, between that, a Karlsson/Campoli pairing, and not mixing the lines up at all until a min left... Clouston really dropped the ball on opening night.

Sp00nz

Sp00nz
Rookie
Rookie

marakh wrote:Also, it's nice to have one or max two Mike Green style defensemen but when half your defensive core want to jump in the rush there will be massive counter attacks. I don't know if it's Clouston's advice, but I don't ever want to see Philips doing that when there was one forward ahead of him who could have shot. I would have probably been singing another tune if that goal went in, but it didn't.

I feel the same way. Phillips and Volchenkov need to get back into their shut down role. They're at their best when they let the forwards do the work down low and stick to the points when attacking. They both have decent shots, if not all that accurate.

Leave the pinching to Campoli, Karlsson and Kuba.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 14 of 16]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15, 16  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum