GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Emery benched

+10
Mosky
jamvan
Aetherial
pgood
Acrobat
Cronie
shabbs
Number Twenty Nine
wprager
PTFlea
14 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 4]

31Emery benched - Page 3 Empty Re: Emery benched Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:35 am

COLLAR UP

Rookie
Rookie

jamvan wrote:
504Heater wrote:How can you guys not remember Emery saving our 06/07 season. I was watching very closely and when he came in and took Gerber's job, he began the turnaround. There was no way we were making the playoffs without him, I stand by that. If not for the 5 star goaltending of Ray Emery, this team would never have even got the chance to play a more defensive oriented system - at least not with Gerber pooping the bed from here to kingdom come.

How easily people forget that the only reason we were even in the playoffs was Emery - the fact that he was only 'excellent' in the post-season should have nothing to do with it.

EMERY squirrel

I have to wholeheartedly disagree. Emery was just like Osgoode last year.

I agree Jam...

Emery was never a great goalie...he was decent...and was playing behind a great machine that was the Sens of 06/07...

Sure Heater...it was him who started the comeback, if you will, of 06/07 after Gerbs sucked it up bad...however...IMO it was the goalie change (by this I refer to how it created a buzz in the locker room and motivated the players to do better) and players buying into Murray's system that made things click...

it was not Emery's play...

32Emery benched - Page 3 Empty Re: Emery benched Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:36 am

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Mosky wrote:Unfortunately I'm with Heater on this one...
squirrel

33Emery benched - Page 3 Empty Re: Emery benched Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:38 am

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Fair enough, it's a group divided on this idiot Emery. I hate him, but I give him credit. I know what y'all mean about Murray's system and such, I just personally don't know if it could've worked without Ray.

But whatever, he's in Gulag or wherever the hell he is, so it certainly didn't work out. Smile

34Emery benched - Page 3 Empty Re: Emery benched Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:47 am

Mosky

Mosky
Rookie
Rookie

504Heater wrote:
Mosky wrote:Unfortunately I'm with Heater on this one...
squirrel

Yeah, you liked that didn't you, you stupid pissing monkey!!!

Just kidding! i love you monkey! squirrel squirrel squirrel

35Emery benched - Page 3 Empty Re: Emery benched Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:51 am

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

504Heater wrote:How can you guys not remember Emery saving our 06/07 season. I was watching very closely and when he came in and took Gerber's job, he began the turnaround. There was no way we were making the playoffs without him, I stand by that. If not for the 5 star goaltending of Ray Emery, this team would never have even got the chance to play a more defensive oriented system - at least not with Gerber pooping the bed from here to kingdom come.

How easily people forget that the only reason we were even in the playoffs was Emery - the fact that he was only 'excellent' in the post-season should have nothing to do with it.

I'm 100% with Heater on this one. I watched every single game that year, and I think his account of the 06/07 season is bang on. For the first 2 months, Gerber was awful, the whole team was awful -- we were sitting at .500 going into Christmas. Emery came back with a busted hand and stood on his head -- and I don't say that lightly -- and got that team on track to its winning ways, starting in late November. There's NO denying this: no Emery, no great 06/07 year. Period. No, he wasn't great in the SCF -- Getzlaf's weak backhander goal still kills me -- but the team wasn't either, and there's no way you can say that we lost because of bad goaltending.

Emery has the skill to be a very good goalie in the NHL -- not Luongo/Nabokov/Lunqvist good, no, but Miller good, yes. He's been a winner everywhere he's gone and he's a passionate guy, and I don't see that changing. What he needs to do is get his head straight and get professional. If he can do those things, I have no doubts that he'll be back in the NHL and he'll be a solid goalie again -- just not with us.

I can't tell you how disappointed I was with what happened last year. I understood the need to clear up the perceived image problem with the team, and it was clear we had passed the point of no return with him. But let's not re-write or deny what happened in 06/07 because of what happened in 07/08.

36Emery benched - Page 3 Empty Re: Emery benched Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:44 pm

Number Twenty Nine

Number Twenty Nine
Veteran
Veteran

rooneypoo wrote:

I'm 100% with Heater on this one. I watched every single game that year, and I think his account of the 06/07 season is bang on. For the first 2 months, Gerber was awful, the whole team was awful -- we were sitting at .500 going into Christmas. Emery came back with a busted hand and stood on his head -- and I don't say that lightly -- and got that team on track to its winning ways, starting in late November. There's NO denying this: no Emery, no great 06/07 year. Period. No, he wasn't great in the SCF -- Getzlaf's weak backhander goal still kills me -- but the team wasn't either, and there's no way you can say that we lost because of bad goaltending.

Emery has the skill to be a very good goalie in the NHL -- not Luongo/Nabokov/Lunqvist good, no, but Miller good, yes. He's been a winner everywhere he's gone and he's a passionate guy, and I don't see that changing. What he needs to do is get his head straight and get professional. If he can do those things, I have no doubts that he'll be back in the NHL and he'll be a solid goalie again -- just not with us.

I can't tell you how disappointed I was with what happened last year. I understood the need to clear up the perceived image problem with the team, and it was clear we had passed the point of no return with him. But let's not re-write or deny what happened in 06/07 because of what happened in 07/08.

tru dat.

37Emery benched - Page 3 Empty Re: Emery benched Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:39 pm

Acrobat

Acrobat
Veteran
Veteran

Here is the take of my 10-year old goalie son (who at the age of 7 & 8, would sit with the PVR after each game and analyze each save and goal to see what went right or wrong):

"Emery is not technically a very good goalie. He gets by because he is very fast. But he is usually in the wrong place. He doesn't move the way that Coach Eli teaches [my son has done camps with Wilson] and he doesn't position himself properly all the time. The reason that he gets scored on is because he isn't always concentrating on setting up for the first shot and the next shot. "

[He said similar things after the SCF, but now has the experience of the camps with Wilson, as well as with other goalie coaches, to back it up. He has a close friend who also plays goal at an elite level, and apparently this is a common opinion of kids who had taken the time to really analyze things.]

After watching the way that Wilson teaches, and comparing it to what Gerber does and what Emery did, I'd have to say that the kid is right. Gerber is technically stronger, but mentally weaker. Emery is technically weaker, but mentally very strong, and much more athletic.

To go back to the original point, Emery didn't carry Ottawa to the playoffs, nor did he take them to the SCF. He was merely good enough not to lose too much for them not to get there. The skaters did the rest - until they met Anaheim, and they needed a goalie to steal a game.

38Emery benched - Page 3 Empty Re: Emery benched Fri Sep 26, 2008 7:58 am

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Acrobat wrote:To go back to the original point, Emery didn't carry Ottawa to the playoffs, nor did he take them to the SCF. He was merely good enough not to lose too much for them not to get there. The skaters did the rest - until they met Anaheim, and they needed a goalie to steal a game.
I agree with this point. I too don't feel that Emery carried us there, but rather played "good enough" to allow the team to get there. At the end of the day, that's all you really need as long as your forwards do their job and put pucks in the opposition's net. When we did get to the SCF, we got crushed by ANA's physical game.

39Emery benched - Page 3 Empty Re: Emery benched Fri Sep 26, 2008 2:42 pm

smash88

smash88
Veteran
Veteran

Emery to me could have been a really solid goalie for the Sens... Mistakes were made on both sides by Emery and the organization... They basically threw him under the bus and blamed a bad season on him.. In a way i'm glad that Emery is gone but in another sense, Ottawa has never had a truly number 1 goalie other than Hasek for the time he was here... Emery to me was the closest thing we had... The fact that they let him sit on the bench after he had brought them to the finals is stupid to me... I understand Gerber was playing well, but the reason we were 15-2 was not because of Gerber... A pylon could have been in nets for those games... We were just that dominant... I think the organization learned a lesson from all this as much as Emery did.. I hope Emery all the best and hope he can one day return to the NHL... I just hope he dosen't come back and screw us... LOL

40Emery benched - Page 3 Empty Re: Emery benched Fri Sep 26, 2008 10:27 pm

Acrobat

Acrobat
Veteran
Veteran

smash88 wrote:Emery to me could have been a really solid goalie for the Sens... Mistakes were made on both sides by Emery and the organization... They basically threw him under the bus and blamed a bad season on him.. In a way i'm glad that Emery is gone but in another sense, Ottawa has never had a truly number 1 goalie other than Hasek for the time he was here... Emery to me was the closest thing we had... The fact that they let him sit on the bench after he had brought them to the finals is stupid to me... I understand Gerber was playing well, but the reason we were 15-2 was not because of Gerber... A pylon could have been in nets for those games... We were just that dominant... I think the organization learned a lesson from all this as much as Emery did.. I hope Emery all the best and hope he can one day return to the NHL... I just hope he dosen't come back and screw us... LOL

Again, I have to disagree - on both counts.

Gerber was playing very well at the beginning of last season. Unquestionably, he did have a good team in front of him, but even then there were many (I believe a few are members of this site now) who kept pointing out how many shots the team was giving up, and how many second shots were not being cleared by the defense. Gerber had a very good save percentage, which was a reflection of him alone, and not the team in front of him (the quality of shots given up was not unusually low, as in Detroit's case.)

It was only once Emery started whining that problems started, as it essentially would divide the room unless the coach had come out and definitively stated what was going to happen. As it turns out, he should have simply "played the hot hand", but hindsight is 20/20.

They did not throw Emery under the bus. In fact, if they wanted to do that, they could have blamed him much earlier, sat him, told him to shut up, and have been done with it. If anything, Murray threw Paddock under the bus to save himself, but even that is up for argument. Emery was the architect of his own demise, by adopting the demands and idiosyncrasies of a primadonna superstar, while not performing like one. His behaviour off the ice was, in reality, no different than the year Ottawa went to the SCF, or the year before. The only difference was that he insisted that the spotlight be focused on him even more brightly while he continued to self-destruct.

41Emery benched - Page 3 Empty Re: Emery benched Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:47 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Just checking Emery's numbers. Since that first game where he gave up six goals, he's given up 9 goals in his next 6 games. In his last three outings, starting when he replaced the team's other goalie after 2 goals half-way through the first, he's given up a single goal each time.

Atlant is leading the league with 28 points after 11 games (not sure how they score points). Salavat Yulaev (same division) and Avangard are next with 25 points, but both have played more games (2 more for Avangard).

Wait, looks like in his last game he was replaced near the half-way point of the third. Must have been some kind of injury, but I can't find anything.

42Emery benched - Page 3 Empty Re: Emery benched Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:19 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

wprager wrote:Just checking Emery's numbers. Since that first game where he gave up six goals, he's given up 9 goals in his next 6 games. In his last three outings, starting when he replaced the team's other goalie after 2 goals half-way through the first, he's given up a single goal each time.

Atlant is leading the league with 28 points after 11 games (not sure how they score points). Salavat Yulaev (same division) and Avangard are next with 25 points, but both have played more games (2 more for Avangard).

Wait, looks like in his last game he was replaced near the half-way point of the third. Must have been some kind of injury, but I can't find anything.

He's got a .923 save % too. LOL. He's doing well now, we'll see if it lasts, but he seems to be finding his game.

43Emery benched - Page 3 Empty Re: Emery benched Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:20 pm

Acrobat

Acrobat
Veteran
Veteran

Are they all rollers from centre ice?
Razz

44Emery benched - Page 3 Empty Re: Emery benched Wed Oct 01, 2008 5:48 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

504Heater wrote:
He's got a .923 save % too. LOL. He's doing well now, we'll see if it lasts, but he seems to be finding his game.

Buddy, can you spare a link? I've googling the Russian sites but, man, either they just don't have the same idea of box scores and stats as we do over here, or I just haven't found the right ones yet.

45Emery benched - Page 3 Empty Re: Emery benched Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:05 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Emery's stats haven't changed in a couple of weeks. I believe the lastg ame he played he didn't finish (but was ahead). I smell an injury.

What a dreadful stats page they've got:
http://89.111.189.140/statistics/?section=goalie

They have the goalie names but no the team they play for. Click on the goalie's name and you get their personal page -- if you're lucky he's wearing his team sweater and it has the R-A-N-G-E-R-S style logo. If not you still can't figure out what team he plays on.

They have one goalie who's been in one game ans stopped all of the 16 shots he faced -- i.e. a SV% of 100. His record, though, is 0-1. Not 0-1-1 (or 0-1-1, implying a loss in the shootout). No, it's just 0-1. How's that possible?

46Emery benched - Page 3 Empty Re: Emery benched Thu Oct 16, 2008 1:54 am

pgood

pgood
Rookie
Rookie

shabbs wrote:
Acrobat wrote:To go back to the original point, Emery didn't carry Ottawa to the playoffs, nor did he take them to the SCF. He was merely good enough not to lose too much for them not to get there. The skaters did the rest - until they met Anaheim, and they needed a goalie to steal a game.
I agree with this point. I too don't feel that Emery carried us there, but rather played "good enough" to allow the team to get there. At the end of the day, that's all you really need as long as your forwards do their job and put pucks in the opposition's net. When we did get to the SCF, we got crushed by ANA's physical game.

He played more than "good enough" in my opinion. With Gerber that season, the team had ZERO confidence and it showed. The team had confidence in Emery. So, essentially, at the very least he played "good enough" to inspire his team mates to play better.

It's easy to sit there and say the skaters "did the rest" but did they really? How many nights before Emery returned did the skaters get it done only to have Gerber allow a back-breaking game tieing or losing goal? The skaters did their job, but there are certain expectations for both the forwards and the goalie.

It's all well and good when your team can score 4 goals a night, but it ain't worth a darn if they allow 5.

Emery never allowed that back-breaker (until the SCF) and the team had confidence. Which also translates into changing how the skaters play. Maybe a d-man pinches in a little more often. Maybe a forward takes a play at a loose puck in the neutral zone where he previously backed off. Your mindset changes when you trust your goalie won't allow that back-breaker if you slip up. You just feel more comfortable taking a little more risk knowing that it likely won't hurt the team. And that can make a HUGE difference in the outcome of a game.

How many times late in the season going into the 3rd up by a goal did you feel comfortable thinking the Sens would close it out? And how many times early on in the season? To me that amounts to more than good enough.

47Emery benched - Page 3 Empty Re: Emery benched Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:41 am

mattshock

mattshock
Veteran
Veteran

pgood wrote:
shabbs wrote:

He played more than "good enough" in my opinion. With Gerber that season, the team had ZERO confidence and it showed. The team had confidence in Emery. So, essentially, at the very least he played "good enough" to inspire his team mates to play better.

It's easy to sit there and say the skaters "did the rest" but did they really? How many nights before Emery returned did the skaters get it done only to have Gerber allow a back-breaking game tieing or losing goal? The skaters did their job, but there are certain expectations for both the forwards and the goalie.

It's all well and good when your team can score 4 goals a night, but it ain't worth a darn if they allow 5.

Emery never allowed that back-breaker (until the SCF) and the team had confidence. Which also translates into changing how the skaters play. Maybe a d-man pinches in a little more often. Maybe a forward takes a play at a loose puck in the neutral zone where he previously backed off. Your mindset changes when you trust your goalie won't allow that back-breaker if you slip up. You just feel more comfortable taking a little more risk knowing that it likely won't hurt the team. And that can make a HUGE difference in the outcome of a game.

How many times late in the season going into the 3rd up by a goal did you feel comfortable thinking the Sens would close it out? And how many times early on in the season? To me that amounts to more than good enough.

Yeah, against Detroit I didn't feel comfortable when we were up by a goal. Even when Gerber is playing well, we've seen it too many times. It wasn't helping that Spezza and Heatley got lost on the way to the arena and they iced the towel boys with their jerseys on.

I hope this Elliot kid pans out.

48Emery benched - Page 3 Empty Re: Emery benched Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:20 am

smash88

smash88
Veteran
Veteran

Point being.. very simple.. Emery made the saves he was suppose to make... With the team we have, that's all we need in a goalie.. is it really asking that much??

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 4]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum