GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Where does Ray Emery End Up If He Returns to the NHL?

+8
dennycrane
Cap'n Clutch
Number Twenty Nine
smash88
wprager
shabbs
davetherave
PTFlea
12 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Where does Ray Emery End Up?

Where does Ray Emery End Up If He Returns to the NHL? Vote_lcap225%Where does Ray Emery End Up If He Returns to the NHL? Vote_rcap2 25% [ 3 ]
Where does Ray Emery End Up If He Returns to the NHL? Vote_lcap20%Where does Ray Emery End Up If He Returns to the NHL? Vote_rcap2 0% [ 0 ]
Where does Ray Emery End Up If He Returns to the NHL? Vote_lcap20%Where does Ray Emery End Up If He Returns to the NHL? Vote_rcap2 0% [ 0 ]
Where does Ray Emery End Up If He Returns to the NHL? Vote_lcap28%Where does Ray Emery End Up If He Returns to the NHL? Vote_rcap2 8% [ 1 ]
Where does Ray Emery End Up If He Returns to the NHL? Vote_lcap217%Where does Ray Emery End Up If He Returns to the NHL? Vote_rcap2 17% [ 2 ]
Where does Ray Emery End Up If He Returns to the NHL? Vote_lcap28%Where does Ray Emery End Up If He Returns to the NHL? Vote_rcap2 8% [ 1 ]
Where does Ray Emery End Up If He Returns to the NHL? Vote_lcap242%Where does Ray Emery End Up If He Returns to the NHL? Vote_rcap2 42% [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 12

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Colorado-

I know for a fact they went after him last offseason, but they didn't offer enough money. They have the team to compete, but not the goaltending.

Atlanta-

Lehtonin is an RFA, and is rarely healthy. Leaving Atlanta with no #1, forcing them to rush Pavelac(sp?)

NY Islanders-

Concerns over Dipietro's health, much cap space, and the fact that they already went after Dubie make the Isles a likely candidate.

Toronto
-

Loads of cap space and doubts over Toskala.

Washington-

See Colorado

Edmonton-

No definite #1, and a good enough team to compete.

Los Angeles-

They'll take anybody.

Tampa Bay-

See LA

St. Louis-

Tons of questions over Mason's consistency, and a fan base patient for a winning season.

My personal choice is Colorado. They have the vets to mentor and.... control him, plus they have more cap space and less $ locked up in goalies than Washington does.

To all those saying Washington, you have to remember they have Theo at 4.5, and only 13 player signed after this year.

Emery wont be back next year, thats basically a garentee. When he does come back, he wont be making more than 1 mil.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

TB claims Smith will be fine - or I'd say them.

Probably...Washington or Colorado. I'll go with Washington.

But...when he's signed he has to clear waivers like Dubie and he'll be snatched by Colorado.

So I'll say Colorado.

EDIT: He'll be back this year. And I guarantee teams line up to sign him to a 875K pro-rated contract for this year. He'll be awesome too. Watch. Wink

504Heater wrote:TB claims Smith will be fine - or I'd say them.

But...when he's signed he has to clear waivers like Dubie and he'll be snatched by Colorado.

So I'll say Colorado.

EDIT: He'll be back this year. And I guarantee teams line up to sign him to a 875K pro-rated contract for this year. He'll be awesome too. Watch. Wink
Thats a given. Demitra, Zanon, Bryan Berard, Laich, Salo. Too many guys we've given up on to early become great players elsewhere/

So I'll say Colorado.

Robert Esche was the best goalie in Russia last year too, and played at the WC's in the spring, he didnt get a sniff of a job. Emery might be back one day, but it is going to be a loooooong road.

Emery is also not that good of a goalie, and IMO, he is at best a backup in the NHL. People know how to beat him and he is not a very smart goaltender. Doesnt know how to anticipate the play at all, and he gets beat because of it.

Tukker wrote:

So I'll say Colorado.

Thats a given. Demitra, Zanon, Bryan Berard, Laich, Salo. Too many guys we've given up on to early become great players elsewhere/

Berard? We traded him for Redden who had a way better career. Salo was traded because we needed a forward and our D was stacked.

Neely4Life wrote:
Tukker wrote:

So I'll say Colorado.

Berard? We traded him for Redden who had a way better career. Salo was traded because we needed a forward and our D was stacked.
Hard to say about bernard. What is he never got half blind? as for Salo, I'm sure we had better D back then, but I'm not sure, seeing how I wasnt a sens fan then.

Neely4Life wrote:
Robert Esche was the best goalie in Russia last year too, and played at the WC's in the spring, he didnt get a sniff of a job. Emery might be back one day, but it is going to be a loooooong road.

Emery is also not that good of a goalie, and IMO, he is at best a backup in the NHL. People know how to beat him and he is not a very smart goaltender. Doesnt know how to anticipate the play at all, and he gets beat because of it.

The difference between Emery and Esche are the age and potential. Esche proved that he couldn't make it in the NHL, while Emery had a (all things in perspective) pretty good career.

Tukker wrote:
Neely4Life wrote:

The difference between Emery and Esche are the age and potential. Esche proved that he couldn't make it in the NHL, while Emery had a (all things in perspective) pretty good career.

He had one good 1/2 season in Ottawa on 06/07 and rode a hot Sens team to the finals. Emery basically didnt do a thing in the NHL and him and his supporters actually thought he did.

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

Tukker, you present an interesting set of scenarios.

However, you are assuming that any of these teams will take the risk of signing Emery to a contract and then risk losing him on waivers--which he must clear before returning to the NHL.

And are you suggesting he will return to the NHL this year?

Do you believe that any NHL team would actually want him at this point in time, in spite of his track record of disruption as a teammate?

Also, you have made a number of statements about the goaltending situation on some of these teams that are less than accurate.

Los Angeles has more than enough depth in net; in fact they just traded LaBarbera, and apparently are considering trading Bernier, because they have Ersberg and Quick.

Atlanta has major issues, but Kari Lehtonen and Ondrej Pavelec are very talented netminders who suffer from the Thrash's poor defense. Bringing in Emery changes nothing.

The Islanders' Joey MacDonald, a product of the Detroit system, is arguably better than Emery. Their troubles with DiPietro aside, the season is basically done for them.

Washington's George McPhee, a very smart hockey man, is unlikely to take a flyer on an unproven Emery. He has Theodore signed to a big contract; for all his inconsistencies, Theo can be brilliant in money situations. Brent Johnson being injured, young Semyon Varlamov has performed exceptionally well when called upon.

Roloson is #1 in Edmonton, and except for a few games, and in spite of Edmonton's inconsistent defence, has been playing like one.

If Colorado is on the playoff bubble, do you really think they will turn their destiny over to a goaltender who has been away from the NHL for almost a full season?

Toronto, Tampa Bay and St Louis are expected to miss the playoffs, so what benefit would they derive from bringing Emery in at this stage?

IMHO IF Ray Emery decides to come back to the NHL, the logical route he would take would be through the minor leagues.

He has shown himself to be a talented netminder in the past, but at this point, his reputation is very tarnished in the eyes of NHL GMs.

Lest you are skeptical of that assertion, remember no one wanted Emery when Bryan Murray was trying to give him away.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Word is Emery has not returned to his Russian team due to not being paid his full salary. He may be ripe for an NHL contract. But he'd have to clear waivers if he signed an NHL contract...

Columbus snatching Dubie anyone?

Wink

Davetherave-

I really only presented my top 9 most likely, with my feelings on why. I believe there is a chance he comes back this season, if not the NHL, than the E or the A.

And I don't necessarily see him being the starter, bit I can't see him signing somewhere he has no chance of winning the starting position.

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

Tukker wrote:Davetherave-

I really only presented my top 9 most likely, with my feelings on why. I believe there is a chance he comes back this season, if not the NHL, than the E or the A.

And I don't necessarily see him being the starter, bit I can't see him signing somewhere he has no chance of winning the starting position.

Tuk--that's what I figured you were thinking...thanks for starting this thread. The situation will certainly be fascinating to follow.

Cheers
8)

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum