GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Where does Ray Emery End Up If He Returns to the NHL?

+8
dennycrane
Cap'n Clutch
Number Twenty Nine
smash88
wprager
shabbs
davetherave
PTFlea
12 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Where does Ray Emery End Up?

Where does Ray Emery End Up If He Returns to the NHL? - Page 3 Vote_lcap225%Where does Ray Emery End Up If He Returns to the NHL? - Page 3 Vote_rcap2 25% [ 3 ]
Where does Ray Emery End Up If He Returns to the NHL? - Page 3 Vote_lcap20%Where does Ray Emery End Up If He Returns to the NHL? - Page 3 Vote_rcap2 0% [ 0 ]
Where does Ray Emery End Up If He Returns to the NHL? - Page 3 Vote_lcap20%Where does Ray Emery End Up If He Returns to the NHL? - Page 3 Vote_rcap2 0% [ 0 ]
Where does Ray Emery End Up If He Returns to the NHL? - Page 3 Vote_lcap28%Where does Ray Emery End Up If He Returns to the NHL? - Page 3 Vote_rcap2 8% [ 1 ]
Where does Ray Emery End Up If He Returns to the NHL? - Page 3 Vote_lcap217%Where does Ray Emery End Up If He Returns to the NHL? - Page 3 Vote_rcap2 17% [ 2 ]
Where does Ray Emery End Up If He Returns to the NHL? - Page 3 Vote_lcap28%Where does Ray Emery End Up If He Returns to the NHL? - Page 3 Vote_rcap2 8% [ 1 ]
Where does Ray Emery End Up If He Returns to the NHL? - Page 3 Vote_lcap242%Where does Ray Emery End Up If He Returns to the NHL? - Page 3 Vote_rcap2 42% [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 12

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 3]

shabbs

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Rangers? He's so NY.... him and Avery on the same team... with Redden... whoooooo boy.

Wink

I can see LA.

davetherave

All-Star
All-Star

wprager wrote: I don't know which clashes with management you're talking about. Muckler made him scrap the Tyson helmet, but that's about it.

WPrager, thanks for your comments...I probably should have been more specific on this. The December 07 and January 08 practice incidents, as well as the public discussion of Murray's unsuccessful attempts to trade him followed by the buyout, were the clashes I was referring to. Perhaps I should have used the word 'conflicts' instead, and stand corrected.

BTW, not to suggest I don't think Emery is talented...quite the opposite.

My point was simply that the prevailing perception of Emery seems to be that he is 'trouble', evidenced by the lack of interest in him from NHL teams.

As a footnote, I have heard and read many media comments on the 'hat incident' in Russia. What I find curious is that none of the commentators seems to have taken the time to find out what actually happened.

In terms of the salary dispute, I have read that Emery wrongly assumed he was being paid at a fixed dollar exchange rate instead of the Russian Ruble rate. Any expatriate who has worked in Russia will tell you that making sure your contract pegs your salary to a Western currency is fundamental. So what kind of guidance is his agent JP Barry giving him?

Has anybody ever sat down with Ray, and told him to keep a low profile and just play hockey?

Cronie

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Is anyone else slightly curious with the rumor of Burke wanting to bring Emery into the Leaf's fold?

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Cronenbergfan wrote:Is anyone else slightly curious with the rumor of Burke wanting to bring Emery into the Leaf's fold?

That sure would make the rivalry interesting.

- Unknown Author

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

Not to mention the chemistry between Ron Wilson and Ray Emery would be interesting.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Cronenbergfan wrote:Is anyone else slightly curious with the rumor of Burke wanting to bring Emery into the Leaf's fold?
Who's reporting on this? Interesting that this is on the heels of Burke's comments towards Toskala's performance of late.

Perhaps someone is seeding the rumour mill...?

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

davetherave wrote:I agree Ray Emery may yet get an opportunity to show what he can do in North America. But there are quite a few talented young goalies who come without his price tag or his baggage.

Would YOU sign a cheque to Ray Emery for a million dollars? Or would you opt for a Pekka Rinne, Joey MacDonald, Jeff Drouin-Deslauriers or Dan LaCosta (who just beat the Sharks) for half that amount?

That's what GMs ask themselves.

Are you suggesting a GM could sign Pekka Rinne to the league minimum? I didn't think so. Same for a couple of the other names. Truth is you can only sign greate goalies to a great salary before they are great. Once you find out what they can do (even if it has only been demonstrated for a single season) they immediately jump to the $2.5-3M range, or higher.

An, yes, for the recrod, I'd give Emery $1M in a heartbeat. I'd also hire someone for nearly free (relative to player salareis) to keep tabs on him and instruct the coaching staff and team leaders to do the same and to nip anything in the bud.

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

WPrager, I did not mean these goalies specifically. Note I said 'a Pekka Rinne', in other words a goalie of that calibre. There are a number of goalies of that calibre currently in the NHL at that price. Some of them are young goalies, some are veterans (such as Scott Clemmensen).

My point is that NHL GMs, with the surfeit of reliable choices available, have little or no incentive to take a chance on Emery right now.

Your willingness to hand out a million bucks to Ray Emery might raise some eyebrows, though.

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

PS to WPrager, the words of Eddie Olczyk should be remembered:

"You're only in this league for so long. You don't want to pi$$ the wrong guy off."

Young Mr Emery has pi$$ed a few people off.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Neely4Life wrote:Emery wont be back next year, thats basically a garentee. When he does come back, he wont be making more than 1 mil.

You've really got to stop with the guarantees Smile Still wanna bet he won't be making more than 1 mil?

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

wprager wrote:
Neely4Life wrote:Emery wont be back next year, thats basically a garentee. When he does come back, he wont be making more than 1 mil.

You've really got to stop with the guarantees Smile Still wanna bet he won't be making more than 1 mil?
Laughing3

wprager wrote:

He wasnt back during the year, how was I wrong there?

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Neely4Life wrote:
wprager wrote:

Are you serious? Re-read what you wrote. That was back in February of *this* year and you said he would not be back *next* year.

He will be. You were wrong. Just admit and move on. Who are you, Fonzie?

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

wprager wrote:
Neely4Life wrote:
wprager wrote:

Are you serious? Re-read what you wrote. That was back in February of *this* year and you said he would not be back *next* year.

C'mon N4L... fess up.

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

shabbs wrote:Word is Emery has not returned to his Russian team due to not being paid his full salary. He may be ripe for an NHL contract. But he'd have to clear waivers if he signed an NHL contract...

Columbus snatching Dubie anyone?

Wink

There are no waivers in the off-season. A UFA signed to a contract during the off-season joins the team he signs with, with no waivers to worry about. The scenario you're talking about can only happen during the season.

shabbs wrote:
wprager wrote:
Neely4Life wrote:
wprager wrote:

C'mon N4L... fess up.

Heeeeeey!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum