GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Where does Ray Emery End Up If He Returns to the NHL?

+8
dennycrane
Cap'n Clutch
Number Twenty Nine
smash88
wprager
shabbs
davetherave
PTFlea
12 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Where does Ray Emery End Up?

Where does Ray Emery End Up If He Returns to the NHL? - Page 2 Vote_lcap225%Where does Ray Emery End Up If He Returns to the NHL? - Page 2 Vote_rcap2 25% [ 3 ]
Where does Ray Emery End Up If He Returns to the NHL? - Page 2 Vote_lcap20%Where does Ray Emery End Up If He Returns to the NHL? - Page 2 Vote_rcap2 0% [ 0 ]
Where does Ray Emery End Up If He Returns to the NHL? - Page 2 Vote_lcap20%Where does Ray Emery End Up If He Returns to the NHL? - Page 2 Vote_rcap2 0% [ 0 ]
Where does Ray Emery End Up If He Returns to the NHL? - Page 2 Vote_lcap28%Where does Ray Emery End Up If He Returns to the NHL? - Page 2 Vote_rcap2 8% [ 1 ]
Where does Ray Emery End Up If He Returns to the NHL? - Page 2 Vote_lcap217%Where does Ray Emery End Up If He Returns to the NHL? - Page 2 Vote_rcap2 17% [ 2 ]
Where does Ray Emery End Up If He Returns to the NHL? - Page 2 Vote_lcap28%Where does Ray Emery End Up If He Returns to the NHL? - Page 2 Vote_rcap2 8% [ 1 ]
Where does Ray Emery End Up If He Returns to the NHL? - Page 2 Vote_lcap242%Where does Ray Emery End Up If He Returns to the NHL? - Page 2 Vote_rcap2 42% [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 12

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 3]

shabbs

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Word is Emery has not returned to his Russian team due to not being paid his full salary. He may be ripe for an NHL contract. But he'd have to clear waivers if he signed an NHL contract...

Columbus snatching Dubie anyone?

Wink

Davetherave-

I really only presented my top 9 most likely, with my feelings on why. I believe there is a chance he comes back this season, if not the NHL, than the E or the A.

And I don't necessarily see him being the starter, bit I can't see him signing somewhere he has no chance of winning the starting position.

davetherave

All-Star
All-Star

Tukker wrote:Davetherave-

I really only presented my top 9 most likely, with my feelings on why. I believe there is a chance he comes back this season, if not the NHL, than the E or the A.

And I don't necessarily see him being the starter, bit I can't see him signing somewhere he has no chance of winning the starting position.

Tuk--that's what I figured you were thinking...thanks for starting this thread. The situation will certainly be fascinating to follow.

Cheers
8)

davetherave wrote:
Tuk--that's what I figured you were thinking...thanks for starting this thread. The situation will certainly be fascinating to follow.

Cheers
8)
I'll drink to that

Where does Ray Emery End Up If He Returns to the NHL? - Page 2 Old_man_drinking

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Neely4Life wrote:Emery wont be back next year, thats basically a garentee. When he does come back, he wont be making more than 1 mil.

Should I book mark that? There you go with your "garentee" again.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

davetherave wrote:Tukker, you present an interesting set of scenarios.

However, you are assuming that any of these teams will take the risk of signing Emery to a contract and then risk losing him on waivers--which he must clear before returning to the NHL.

And are you suggesting he will return to the NHL this year?

Do you believe that any NHL team would actually want him at this point in time, in spite of his track record of disruption as a teammate?

Also, you have made a number of statements about the goaltending situation on some of these teams that are less than accurate.

Los Angeles has more than enough depth in net; in fact they just traded LaBarbera, and apparently are considering trading Bernier, because they have Ersberg and Quick.

Atlanta has major issues, but Kari Lehtonen and Ondrej Pavelec are very talented netminders who suffer from the Thrash's poor defense. Bringing in Emery changes nothing.

The Islanders' Joey MacDonald, a product of the Detroit system, is arguably better than Emery. Their troubles with DiPietro aside, the season is basically done for them.

Washington's George McPhee, a very smart hockey man, is unlikely to take a flyer on an unproven Emery. He has Theodore signed to a big contract; for all his inconsistencies, Theo can be brilliant in money situations. Brent Johnson being injured, young Semyon Varlamov has performed exceptionally well when called upon.

Roloson is #1 in Edmonton, and except for a few games, and in spite of Edmonton's inconsistent defence, has been playing like one.

If Colorado is on the playoff bubble, do you really think they will turn their destiny over to a goaltender who has been away from the NHL for almost a full season?

Toronto, Tampa Bay and St Louis are expected to miss the playoffs, so what benefit would they derive from bringing Emery in at this stage?

IMHO IF Ray Emery decides to come back to the NHL, the logical route he would take would be through the minor leagues.

He has shown himself to be a talented netminder in the past, but at this point, his reputation is very tarnished in the eyes of NHL GMs.

Lest you are skeptical of that assertion, remember no one wanted Emery when Bryan Murray was trying to give him away.

His "track record of disruption" is under review. I think by now most believe that Emery was a scape goat and not the real (only) reason for the Sens' demise.

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

WPrager, as you know, the expression, "perception is 9/10ths of reality" can be applied to the evaluation of professional athletes. If it's perceived an athlete has an 'attitude problem', that perception can only be dispelled by performance.

While you, as a hockey fan, may have come to the conclusion Emery wasn't the only reason for the Senators' decline in 2007-08, General Managers will look instead at Emery's play, which simply wasn't good enough to restore his position as a #1.

Add to that his very public clashes with management, rumours of drug abuse, and lack of contrition in his interviews like the one on 'Off The Record', Ray Emery has a lot of work to do to repair his standing with his prospective employers in the National Hockey League.

Otherwise, he would have never been obliged to go to Russia in the first place.

smash88

smash88
Veteran
Veteran

Emery will come back, he is too young and with too much potential... He'll be a backup for a couple of years and after i'm sure he'll be a starter again...

If I were a general manager i'd take a shot at around 1 million....

Number Twenty Nine

Number Twenty Nine
Veteran
Veteran

I say Toronto, if only for the fact to stick it to the Sens.

Sooner than later too. i think Toskala will be bye bye soon. Him and Wilson just don't get along. His game has been in the crapper since Wilson was hired.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

davetherave wrote:WPrager, as you know, the expression, "perception is 9/10ths of reality" can be applied to the evaluation of professional athletes. If it's perceived an athlete has an 'attitude problem', that perception can only be dispelled by performance.

While you, as a hockey fan, may have come to the conclusion Emery wasn't the only reason for the Senators' decline in 2007-08, General Managers will look instead at Emery's play, which simply wasn't good enough to restore his position as a #1.

Add to that his very public clashes with management, rumours of drug abuse, and lack of contrition in his interviews like the one on 'Off The Record', Ray Emery has a lot of work to do to repair his standing with his prospective employers in the National Hockey League.

Otherwise, he would have never been obliged to go to Russia in the first place.
To address some of your points:

1. Emery was coming off wrist surgery and his work ethic (particularly rehabbing) was non-existent. Many GMs will think that discipline problems start with the coaching staff and team leaders. Well, perhaps "start" is not the right word, but you know what I mean. Avery will be back because the Rangers think (know?) that they can control him.

2. I don't know which clashes with management you're talking about. Muckler made him scrap the Tyson helmet, but that's about it.

3. I'm not sure if he had two OTR appearances after getting the boot, but I do remember watching one (or reading the transcript) where he was quite good about accepting responsibility for his part. Actually maybe that wasn't OTR but another show. I also recall a former teammate coming on and, basically, pulling Emery *from under* the bus, so to speak.

When he left for Russia the perception was that the Sens had to get rid of him because he was such a bad influence. Since that time the Sens have thrown that argument out the window with their continued bad play, and Emery is having a pretty good season in Russia.

P.S. Maybe the team trainer was trying to tell Ray that they'll pay him the difference owed on his salary in a few extra team hats.

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

I agree Ray Emery may yet get an opportunity to show what he can do in North America. But there are quite a few talented young goalies who come without his price tag or his baggage.

Would YOU sign a cheque to Ray Emery for a million dollars? Or would you opt for a Pekka Rinne, Joey MacDonald, Jeff Drouin-Deslauriers or Dan LaCosta (who just beat the Sharks) for half that amount?

That's what GMs ask themselves.

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Other - Philly They need goaltending.

- Unknown Author

dennycrane

dennycrane
Veteran
Veteran

Colorado, maybe the Leafs.

From Pierre LeBrun at www.espn.com:

Ray Emery
We've got some news on former Ottawa Senators goalie Ray Emery, who has left his Russian club, at least for now. Emery didn't report to his KHL team, Mytishchi Atlant, after the league's break this past week.

A source told ESPN.com the netminder is upset because the team has been short-changing him on his $2-million net salary. Apparently, Mytishchi Atlant hasn't used the right exchange rate for most of the season and Emery is about 33 percent shy right now of what he should have earned. The Russian ruble has been hammered all year long, making it hard on KHL teams to pay players.

The team is upset he didn't show up Thursday and is threatening legal action. Stay tuned on that one. There is some interest from a few NHL clubs, although he'd have to clear waivers to return and that complicates things. Emery has been terrific this season, going 20-6-0 with a 2.00 GAA and .930 save percentage.

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

dennycrane wrote:Colorado, maybe the Leafs.

From Pierre LeBrun at www.espn.com:

Ray Emery
We've got some news on former Ottawa Senators goalie Ray Emery, who has left his Russian club, at least for now. Emery didn't report to his KHL team, Mytishchi Atlant, after the league's break this past week.

A source told ESPN.com the netminder is upset because the team has been short-changing him on his $2-million net salary. Apparently, Mytishchi Atlant hasn't used the right exchange rate for most of the season and Emery is about 33 percent shy right now of what he should have earned. The Russian ruble has been hammered all year long, making it hard on KHL teams to pay players.

The team is upset he didn't show up Thursday and is threatening legal action. Stay tuned on that one. There is some interest from a few NHL clubs, although he'd have to clear waivers to return and that complicates things. Emery has been terrific this season, going 20-6-0 with a 2.00 GAA and .930 save percentage.

Should sign him in Montreal...at least he can handle the pressure.

Nasty Nas

Nasty Nas
Rookie
Rookie

I just hope if he comes back he ends up on the bench. Maybe in a
year or two or three he may be ready to be an NHL number 1.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Rangers? He's so NY.... him and Avery on the same team... with Redden... whoooooo boy.

Wink

I can see LA.

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

wprager wrote: I don't know which clashes with management you're talking about. Muckler made him scrap the Tyson helmet, but that's about it.

WPrager, thanks for your comments...I probably should have been more specific on this. The December 07 and January 08 practice incidents, as well as the public discussion of Murray's unsuccessful attempts to trade him followed by the buyout, were the clashes I was referring to. Perhaps I should have used the word 'conflicts' instead, and stand corrected.

BTW, not to suggest I don't think Emery is talented...quite the opposite.

My point was simply that the prevailing perception of Emery seems to be that he is 'trouble', evidenced by the lack of interest in him from NHL teams.

As a footnote, I have heard and read many media comments on the 'hat incident' in Russia. What I find curious is that none of the commentators seems to have taken the time to find out what actually happened.

In terms of the salary dispute, I have read that Emery wrongly assumed he was being paid at a fixed dollar exchange rate instead of the Russian Ruble rate. Any expatriate who has worked in Russia will tell you that making sure your contract pegs your salary to a Western currency is fundamental. So what kind of guidance is his agent JP Barry giving him?

Has anybody ever sat down with Ray, and told him to keep a low profile and just play hockey?

Cronie

Cronie
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Is anyone else slightly curious with the rumor of Burke wanting to bring Emery into the Leaf's fold?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum