GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Interesting suggestion -- shootouts *before* game

+4
caissie_1
shabbs
SensFan71
wprager
8 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.thehockeynews.com/articles/27604-Have-shootouts-before-the-game.html

Having the shootout before the game would potentially open it up if it's tied late, since one team knows it will lose. It would get the people to their seats right away. Players would get regular "practice" at shootouts. Players might be looser since most of these shootouts will be "meaningless".

Interesting, not sure what to think of it. I seriously doubt it will be adopted (game start time, for example, will be unpredictable). But what do you think of it as an idea?

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

very interesting concept, some good things about it, some bad, like you said prags, the uncertainty of game start times, but it would give the fans a good show at the start of the game and the players might be a bit more flashy with their attempts knowing that the shootout could be meaningless.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Would make for some interesting last second, game tying goals by the team that won the shootout...

"And they tie it up to WIN!!!!"

Heh heh.

I am not a fan. Imagine the trap that would be played in overtime by the team that won the shoutout?! Cross the redline... dump-in... zero forecheck... Force a dump in for the other team to get a chance at recovering the puck.... no thanks!

caissie_1

caissie_1
Veteran
Veteran

Yeh I dont like it... Pretty stupid IMO!

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

MurderOnIce wrote:I am not a fan. Imagine the trap that would be played in overtime by the team that won the shoutout?! Cross the redline... dump-in... zero forecheck... Force a dump in for the other team to get a chance at recovering the puck.... no thanks!
I guess the counter to that would be that the other team would be trying like hell to score knowing a tie is a loss for them... compared to now where both teams seem to be fine playing for a tie with little to no effort and sending it to a shoot out.

Don't get me wrong... I prefer the shootout after... but it does present some interesting twists.

Hockeyhero22000

Hockeyhero22000
Veteran
Veteran

i have never been a fan of the shoot out because it makes the game go from being how the team player to who has the best shootout player but thats not the point i think that a shootout before (althoug would put fans in the seats) would as MOI said create a bad ot period...nothing better than when a team is on the outside of the playoffs and need 2 points and you see them working so hard in OT

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Hockeyhero22000 wrote:i have never been a fan of the shoot out because it makes the game go from being how the team player to who has the best shootout player but thats not the point i think that a shootout before (althoug would put fans in the seats) would as MOI said create a bad ot period...nothing better than when a team is on the outside of the playoffs and need 2 points and you see them working so hard in OT
Oh - I totally agree, not a fan of the shootout at all. But it is here, for now. I would prefer they play until someone scores.

Or, just ditch the lame shootout altogether. This false parity is Dung anyway. Sure it creates interesting and fun races down the stretch, but this system that basically allows a team with a bunch of shootout losses to get in over a team who's got say 5 more wins.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

hemlock wrote:Or, just ditch the lame shootout altogether. This false parity is Dung anyway. Sure it creates interesting and fun races down the stretch, but this system that basically allows a team with a bunch of shootout losses to get in over a team who's got say 5 more wins.

:KKK:

Don't really like those. I'm fine with draws in the regular season. Don't find the shootouts exciting at all.

Sens19

Sens19
Veteran
Veteran

Let's start a petition to get shootouts out of the game! tongue

http://sens19-hockeytalk.blogspot.com/

Amnesia021

Amnesia021
Rookie
Rookie

If we did not have shootouts last year, the playoffs in the east would have been Bos - Mtl, Wsh - Fla, Njd - Pit, Phi - Car with the Rangers not making it (Fla does). In the west you would have the same matchups except that Ana doesn't make the playoffs but Min does.

A lot of what-ifs with those matchups btw... :drinking:

Acrobat

Acrobat
Veteran
Veteran

AT the very least, give 3 pts for a win, 2 for OT win, 1 for OT loss, 0 for reg. loss.

Then everything matters.

shabbs wrote:
Hockeyhero22000 wrote:i have never been a fan of the shoot out because it makes the game go from being how the team player to who has the best shootout player but thats not the point i think that a shootout before (althoug would put fans in the seats) would as MOI said create a bad ot period...nothing better than when a team is on the outside of the playoffs and need 2 points and you see them working so hard in OT
Oh - I totally agree, not a fan of the shootout at all. But it is here, for now. I would prefer they play until someone scores.

Imagine having to play the end of back to back nights after the first game goes into the 4th OT. Probably not going to see much inspired hockey.

Just bring back the ties. In the end, the cream rises to the top in the playoffs anyway.

Hockeyhero22000

Hockeyhero22000
Veteran
Veteran

i agree give them a tie after 5 min is fine there is nothing wrong with a tie

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum