GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Interesting read from SensHobo

+3
mattshock
shabbs
Cronie
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Interesting read from SensHobo Empty Interesting read from SensHobo Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:53 am

Cronie

Cronie
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Hey,

I came across this gem while doing my morning perusal of sens news. This is rather interesting, and at this point, I don't think taking the author's advice could do any more harm. Courtesy of SensHobo, from Kuklas korner:

"Ottawa Senators coach Craig Hartsburg shuffled his lines once again heading into Saturday’s game against the Toronto Maple Leafs, but by the second period he had hit the default button and put Daniel Alfredsson, Dany Heatley, and Jason Spezza together again.

He wasn’t just throwing up his hands in desperation. He had a purpose in mind.

The Maple Leafs were all over the Senators in the first period. They were on their way to outshooting them 21-9 and most of the game was being played in the Ottawa end.

Hartsburg was looking for one line to give his team a spark and turn the momentum. He thought it might be the big three.

Instead, like everything else recently, the move turned sour.

So sour, in fact, that while the Sens managed 9 shots in the first, a fine total except when you consider the 21 shots they faced, the second period with the CASH line saw the Sens sink to a mere 4 shots. Every role the players get placed into, they can’t seem to get a handle on. Maybe, crazily enough, to restart both the offense and the defense, the players need to stop thinking about roles.

There’s only one juggle left for the big line, and that’s shuffling the three off to three separate lines. Sound crazy? The big three of Alfie, Heatley, and Spezza have scored 3-4--7, 4-5--9, and 3-6--9, respectively, and that’s not all bad, right? However, take away their powerplay points, and they fall to 0-2--2, 1-1--2, and 1-3--4. That puts them with the likes of Donovan (2-2--4), Foligno (2-1--3), Kelly (0-2--2), and Ruutu (2-0--2) in even strength scoring. Put them back together on the powerplay, sure, but where’s the merit in putting all your eggs in that lone, not-so-impressive even-strength basket?

Take Vermette, Fisher, and Alfie, and you’ve got a defensively sound line that, based on last year, you know can produce. Spezza’s been working so hard at forechecking and fishing the puck out in the offensive end, why not give him Foligno and Neil, guys that’ll work hard, and give you someone waiting in the crease Holmstrom-style. Heatley did well in Spezza’s absence a while back with Kelly, so play those two together, and give them Winchester’s puck-digging and sensible skills. That leaves only the fourth line untouched, and seeing as they’ve been so good in their roles, I would not touch them at all. I would shuffle the defenders, pairing the defensive-minded ones with their counterparts.

Crazy you say, but second-worst in the League brings out pundits by the barrel-full. You don’t see it working, but every combination that you thought you could see working has fallen flat on the ice, so there’s nothing to lose. Bring the players’ ice times closer together (I hate to say it) Toronto style, and it’s not so much 1st, 2nd, and 3rd lines, just a handful of combinations. The players and fans may not know what to expect, and so all the guys can do is play hockey, work hard, harder, and harder still until they find not their game, but the game. Typecasting really can hurt, and so you need to break down that mould, and build each player up again. Then you can have your players back, your team back, and find yourself back on the right track. That’s hockey, and that’s the punditry you’ve earned."

2Interesting read from SensHobo Empty Re: Interesting read from SensHobo Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:59 am

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

So,

Vermette - Fisher - Alfie
Heater - Kelly - Winchester
Foligno - Spezza - Neil
Donovan - McAmmond - Ruutu

Interesting.

3Interesting read from SensHobo Empty Re: Interesting read from SensHobo Mon Oct 27, 2008 11:02 am

mattshock

mattshock
Veteran
Veteran

Definitely an interesting take.

Surely SOMETHING has to work... maybe this is it.

4Interesting read from SensHobo Empty Re: Interesting read from SensHobo Mon Oct 27, 2008 11:02 am

Cronie

Cronie
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

exactly... and really, the more I read it and re-read it, I started thinking after all the juggling Hartsburg has done, can this particular 'move' make anything worse?!

I wish he would it even just for one period... But I doubt he would, but still, it really got me thinking...

5Interesting read from SensHobo Empty Re: Interesting read from SensHobo Mon Oct 27, 2008 11:18 am

smash88

smash88
Veteran
Veteran

Cronenbergfan wrote:exactly... and really, the more I read it and re-read it, I started thinking after all the juggling Hartsburg has done, can this particular 'move' make anything worse?!

I wish he would it even just for one period... But I doubt he would, but still, it really got me thinking...

The way Hartsburg's been juggling his lines throughout games, they would be lucky to all make it through a shift without being switched again! LOL

6Interesting read from SensHobo Empty Re: Interesting read from SensHobo Mon Oct 27, 2008 11:27 am

Cronie

Cronie
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I don't blame Hartsburg at all. From what I've heard, EVERYONE knows what their roles are, they just need to stop playing so tight. Relax their grip on the sticks and just do what they do best: PLAY HOCKEY.

7Interesting read from SensHobo Empty Re: Interesting read from SensHobo Mon Oct 27, 2008 1:01 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

mattbond wrote:Definitely an interesting take.

Surely SOMETHING has to work... maybe this is it.

Why not. Why the hell not?

8Interesting read from SensHobo Empty Re: Interesting read from SensHobo Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:11 pm

mattshock

mattshock
Veteran
Veteran

I'm sure the line will eventually appear. After all, with the line-shuffling coaches we've had of late, and there being only a finite number of line combinations, it's bound to happen.

Right?

9Interesting read from SensHobo Empty Re: Interesting read from SensHobo Mon Oct 27, 2008 3:20 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

shabbs wrote:So,

Foligno - Spezza - Neil

Interesting.

Me hate this.

10Interesting read from SensHobo Empty Re: Interesting read from SensHobo Mon Oct 27, 2008 3:23 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

504Heater wrote:

Foligno - Spezza - Neil

Interesting.

Me hate this.
HA! I'd like to see it in one game... just out of curiosity.

11Interesting read from SensHobo Empty Re: Interesting read from SensHobo Mon Oct 27, 2008 3:29 pm

504Heater wrote:

Foligno - Spezza - Neil

Interesting.

Me hate this.

I hear what you are saying... A seven million dollar guy on our third line, a seven million dollar guy on our second and two four's on our top. (Those are cap hit, not actual numbers which are worse)...

Interesting read from SensHobo 86440239.IV6QZzhB.fartinbed

12Interesting read from SensHobo Empty Re: Interesting read from SensHobo Mon Oct 27, 2008 3:30 pm

mattshock

mattshock
Veteran
Veteran

If the minutes are spread around evenly, I have no issues with the dollars being spread evenly as well. If all of those lines were going at their potential, playing as well as we know all of the individual players can, that's a MUCH better team than we've been seeing.

Unfortunately, it looks like everyone but Kuba is slumping at the moment.

13Interesting read from SensHobo Empty Re: Interesting read from SensHobo Mon Oct 27, 2008 3:52 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

MurderOnIce wrote:I hear what you are saying... A seven million dollar guy on our third line, a seven million dollar guy on our second and two four's on our top. (Those are cap hit, not actual numbers which are worse)...
When your team is dogging it, how much they get paid should not factor in where they play. Anything to get it going...

14Interesting read from SensHobo Empty Re: Interesting read from SensHobo Mon Oct 27, 2008 4:23 pm

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

Personally, I liked the Foligno - Fisher - Vermette line he put together, and now he isn't playing it.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum