GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Lehtonen agrees to qualifying offer

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Lehtonen agrees to qualifying offer Empty Lehtonen agrees to qualifying offer Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:26 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/story/2009/07/15/sp-lehtonen-thrashers.html?ref=rss

Interesting. A former 2nd overall pick, now accepting a qualifying offer. A one-year deal, I guess he's hoping to finally play a full season, and the THrashers ar hoping Pavelec is ready next year.

2Lehtonen agrees to qualifying offer Empty Re: Lehtonen agrees to qualifying offer Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:07 am

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

With his injury history I don't think he had a lot of choice and this is probably his best shot to attempt to cash in on his next contract.

- Unknown Author

3Lehtonen agrees to qualifying offer Empty Re: Lehtonen agrees to qualifying offer Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:57 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Cap'n Clutch wrote:With his injury history I don't think he had a lot of choice and this is probably his best shot to attempt to cash in on his next contract.

Pretty much. Would not have surprised me if Atlanta had just left him without a QO.

4Lehtonen agrees to qualifying offer Empty Re: Lehtonen agrees to qualifying offer Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:03 am

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Quite a few goalies still out there as UFA's...

5Lehtonen agrees to qualifying offer Empty Re: Lehtonen agrees to qualifying offer Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:18 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Never been a fan. Maybe it'll work out for them this time, but I don't see why it would.

6Lehtonen agrees to qualifying offer Empty Re: Lehtonen agrees to qualifying offer Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:08 am

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

SpezDispenser wrote:Never been a fan. Maybe it'll work out for them this time, but I don't see why it would.
Well, they've got about $5M invested in three goalies at the moment - Lehtonen, Hedberg and Pavelec with none of them signed beyond this coming season. Lehtonen and Pavelec will be RFA's and Hedberg will be a UFA... so they can try this for one season and then see how it all works out and opt for a wholesale change if needed.

7Lehtonen agrees to qualifying offer Empty Re: Lehtonen agrees to qualifying offer Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:57 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Lehtonen was RFA this time around. Is h still an RFA after this one-year deal?

8Lehtonen agrees to qualifying offer Empty Re: Lehtonen agrees to qualifying offer Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:01 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

wprager wrote:Lehtonen was RFA this time around. Is h still an RFA after this one-year deal?
Hmmm... I was going with what nhlnumbers.com had listed as his status for after this coming season.

Good question though.

If a player was an RFA and accepts a 1-year qualifying offer... do they remain an RFA?

Paging Dr. Poo!

9Lehtonen agrees to qualifying offer Empty Re: Lehtonen agrees to qualifying offer Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:20 pm

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

shabbs wrote:
Hmmm... I was going with what nhlnumbers.com had listed as his status for after this coming season.

Good question though.

If a player was an RFA and accepts a 1-year qualifying offer... do they remain an RFA?

Paging Dr. Poo!

Lehtonen has 1 more year as an RFA. He's got 5 years of pro experience already; this will be year 6 coming up; 2010 will be year 7. After 7 years of pro experience, a player not under contract becomes a UFA.

A player accepting a qualifying offer or not has, as far as I'm aware, no effect on his status.

ATL is going forward really cautiously with this guy, considering how high they drafted him (2nd overall). That's 2 1-year deals in a row, with only 1 year left on him as an RFA.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum