GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Spector agrees with us....unfortunately.

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Spector agrees with us....unfortunately. Empty Spector agrees with us....unfortunately. Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:41 am

BigRig

BigRig
Rookie
Rookie

http://www.spectorshockey.net/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=406:time-to-blow-em-up&catid=35:soapbox&Itemid=57

Coming from someone that's MUCH more respectable than Ek, I would hope that Murray or Melnyk take notice that more legit writers are pointing out the cracks in the foundation here....

The ONLY thing is here is the reality dose that we are now capable of being ropped in with Atlanta & NYI....ew.

Cronie

Cronie
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Yuck is right...
While you're right, Spector does have a LOT more credibility than Ek (christ, my 9 yr old Shepherd/Husky has more credibility than Ek), Spector does sometimes play the "I agree" card a little too often for my liking.

However, he certainly has a point in this piece. Nice find BigRig. Smile

I threw up a bit in my mouth. I have come to realize that without a miracle, we are in line for at least a couple of losing seasons, if not more. I hope the fanbase holds together and supports the team enough to weather the storm.

On a cheery note. Sunshine is bright today....

Spector agrees with us....unfortunately. 01

Sens4thecup

Rookie
Rookie

I just hope that Murray and Melynuk have realized that making the playoffs is not in this team's reach. The sooner they identify a rebuild is in order, the faster this team makes it back to success.

Can't say I like the idea of the picture, but call me a woman frustrated over the blatant sexuality hitting my paper every morning.

Now as to the Senators and Spector. He has a couple of problems with his post. First, Murray can't trade Phillips unless Chris waives his NTC, so that's an error on his part.

Second, in my opinion the value in trading Vermette, or especially Fisher isn't necessarily in the return, but the cap room that it will free up. When Fisher was signed we were all happy. Maybe some of us questioned the number, but seeing what other players were signed for shortly after it appeared to be in line with what players of his calibre were being paid. We now realize that a 4.2 million cap hit is way to high for someone who does the job he does. He's not a 2nd line centre and it's looking like he won't be. If you believe that Vermette can be that 3rd line centre then his contract is fine, but he has to start producing at least some point if not goals.

Consider this,

Simply due to UFA's moving on we clear 7.2 million for next year. That's 3.7 for Gerber, 3 for Kuba 500k for Richardson, 1.1 for Neil, 875k for McCammond.

If you can send Fisher Vermette and Schubert packing and replace them with guys who can fill their role, say Bass for Vermette, Zubov for Fisher, and Schubert for anyone on the farm then you clear another 7,845,833 (we're up to 15 million of cleared cap space).

I'm hearing that Lee is seriously being shopped so that clears another 1,275,000.

that clears up 16.4 million in cap space and with the 3 players mentioned replacing 3 of our lost players we have at most 2.2 million to replace them. There is still 14.00 million left to replace Neil, McCammond, Kuba and Gerber.

Neil and McCammond can be replaced with relatively cheap 3rd and 4th line players. If you even want experience and are willing to pay you're not looking at paying more than 2 million per...leaving 10 million for a goalie and a top D man.

I'm pretty sure you can get Tim Thomas and a top 3 D man for 10 million.

Ottawa's rebuild won't be that bad nor that long. I'm guessing by trading Vermette, Fisher, Schubert you'll get draft picks (at least 1#1) and most likely a good NHL player or two.

If Spezza is involved, then I think you'll see a 1 year turn around similar to Philly. Plus we'll clear likely another 2 to 3 million under the cap.

If we decide to use a stop gap goalie system for next year too and bank the cap room we could likely have about 7-10 million waiting for one of.

Luongo
Cam Ward
Marty Turco
Jonathan Quick (RFA)
Carey Price (RFA)
Ellis
Rinne
Biron
Nabakov
Chris Mason
Toskala

This year you have
Thomas
Fernandez
Khabibulin
Backstrom
Harding (RFA)

Now I don't expect to see all those goalies available, and no I wouldn't pay huge $$$ to get all of them, but they in my opinion are better than what we have now. Just saying that the rebuild if done right won't be as long or as hard as some would have you think. Hell where do I apply to be assistant GM. I'll just guide Murray and let him put his stamp on my deals.

Just my Thoughts.

Dawg's wife

Sens4thecup wrote:I just hope that Murray and Melynuk have realized that making the playoffs is not in this team's reach. The sooner they identify a rebuild is in order, the faster this team makes it back to success.

One other thing.

Assuming they do decide they can't make the playoffs then isn't waiting to deal a better idea?

Think about it this way. At this point everyone knows you're itching to make a deal anyways and they won't give you fair value. But if you're willing to trade Spezza or Fisher now, then you likely think you can't make the playoffs.

Why not wait until the deadline? If you do and the team still tanks then you're in a better draft lottery position, and the return for a Fisher or Spezza with teams trying to load up for the playoff run would be greater than now.

Trading them now will get you a fraction of what you could get at the deadline with a bidding war among playoff bubble/contender teams.

Dawg's wife

Sens4thecup

Rookie
Rookie

Dawg's Wife wrote:
Sens4thecup wrote:I just hope that Murray and Melynuk have realized that making the playoffs is not in this team's reach. The sooner they identify a rebuild is in order, the faster this team makes it back to success.

One other thing.

Assuming they do decide they can't make the playoffs then isn't waiting to deal a better idea?

Think about it this way. At this point everyone knows you're itching to make a deal anyways and they won't give you fair value. But if you're willing to trade Spezza or Fisher now, then you likely think you can't make the playoffs.

Why not wait until the deadline? If you do and the team still tanks then you're in a better draft lottery position, and the return for a Fisher or Spezza with teams trying to load up for the playoff run would be greater than now.

Trading them now will get you a fraction of what you could get at the deadline with a bidding war among playoff bubble/contender teams.

Dawg's wife

I agree completely. Look what Atlanta did with Hossa at last years trade deadline. (Not like its helped the Thrash.)

One last thing...I really need to get a life...

Here is a list of the UFA/RFA d-men up this year. I know not all of them are Puck moving top 2 d-men but it gives you an idea how quickly you can rebuild with cap room.

Spacek Schneider Seidenberg
Barker (RFA) Leopold Zubov
Sydor Smid (RFA) Bouwmeester
Boynton Skrastins Gauthier
O'Donnell

Jack Johnson (RFA) Will they match huge dollars with the other 6 top D-men coming fast?

Skoula Bergeron Komisarek Briseboid Bouillon Dandenault
Kalinin Mara Morris
Yandle Vaananen Alberts
Kukkonen Boucher Goligoski (RFA)
Ohlund O'Brien

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Spector hates the Sens. This is probably the happiest moment of his life that we're tanking. He's an avid Habs fan.

I don't even bother going there anymore.

beerandsens

beerandsens
Sophomore
Sophomore

Dawg's Wife wrote:

One other thing.

Dawg's wife

I definitely agree with this. Regardless of whether the Sens continue to lose or start to go on a bit of a roll, we are trading from a position of weakness. It's a better idea to look for high return on deadline deals plus we get the bonus of having a better idea of who's picks will likely be high in the next draft as well as our positioning in the east.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum