GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

The Cap Might Not Go Down in 2010: Lyle 'Spector' Richardson

+2
wprager
davetherave
6 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

This is a subject much discussed by the Members...where the opinions fly fast and furious.

Lyle Richardson (Spectors Hockey, Fox Sports, The Hockey News) offers up a perspective that contravenes--at least somewhat--the Doomsday Scenario for the Dreaded Salary Cap.

2010 salary cap might not be falling
Lyle 'Spector' Richardson, FoxSports.com, July 26, 2009

The impact of the global recession upon the North American economy led to expectations it would have an adverse impact upon the National Hockey League's salary cap.

Consensus amongst league officials, pundits and fans was the recession would bite deeply into the league's revenues and, since the salary cap was tied to those revenues, could result in a significant decline of the cap ceiling.

The impact was apparent upon the 2009-10 salary cap which the league announced would be $56.8 million, a miniscule rise over last season's ceiling of $56.7 million and a far cry from the average increases of $6 million per season since 2006.

Some fans expressed surprise over the cap essentially remaining the same but there were two reasons for this. One was much of the league's revenues were collected before the recession struck last fall thanks to season ticket sales, which are the lifeblood of a gate-driven league like the NHL.

While league revenue declined by five percent, the fact most of the revenue was collected prior to the recession ensured the decline wasn't much worse.

Another was the NHL Players Association voted to trigger a five-percent salary escalator, pushing the cap to its current level.

The real concern, however, was revenue collected this summer and into next season, leading to anticipation the league would truly feel the recession's impact next season, especially in NHL cities hit hard by economic hard times or where NHL franchises were struggling before the recession.

It's been suggested the cap for the 2010-11 season could decline to between $50-$52 million, significantly squeezing teams with more than $40 million already committed to their '10-'11 payrolls.

Currently 13 teams, almost half the league, are in that category. If the cap were to decline substantially those clubs could be forced to dump salaries thus potentially tearing apart successful or rebuilding rosters.

Some teams could be hurt more that others under that scenario.
The Chicago Blackhawks could face dealing away players like Patrick Sharp, Kris Versteeg or Cam Barker to free up space to re-sign Patrick Kane, Jonathan Toews and Duncan Keith.

The Philadelphia Flyers could be forced to sacrifice Scott Hartnell or Matt Carle to make room for Braydon Coburn and Ryan Parent.

Players who could end up hitting the free-agent market next summer if the salary cap declines include: Boston's Marc Savard, Calgary's Olli Jokinen, Detroit's Tomas Holmstrom (Nicklas Lidstrom will likely accept a pay cut to remain a Red Wing), L.A.'s Alex Frolov, Montreal's Tomas Plekanec, New Jersey's Paul Martin, Ottawa's Anton Volchenkov, Pittsburgh's Sergei Gonchar and San Jose's Evgeni Nabokov.

Certainly that's a scary scenario, but while season-ticket sales have yet to be determined, there are some positive signs which suggest the anticipated downturn in the 2010-11 cap may not be that bad. It's even possible the cap could remain at its current level or even slightly increase.

Toronto Globe & Mail hockey columnist Eric Duhatschek reported earlier this month there was a "new emerging sense that the NHL has been spared the larger effects of the slumping economy and that next year's cap — if it shrinks at all — won't be nearly as bad as originally thought."

Duhatschek pointed to good playoff ticket sales this past spring and season ticket sales reportedly going well in most of the traditional markets.

Paid attendance was down last season in once-solid markets like Colorado and Tampa Bay, a result of poor on-ice performance in recent years, while Atlanta, Florida and Nashville continue to struggle and, in Phoenix, the Coyotes reportedly lost $60 million last season.

However, other NHL cities have shown significant improvement at the gate.

Teams like the Chicago Blackhawks, Washington Capitals and Boston Bruins — which three years ago struggled at the gate — have seen notable increases in attendance. The St. Louis Blues three years ago were at the bottom of the league in attendance, but over the past two seasons have steadily climbed back into the top 10.

One city struggling through tough economic times before the recession was Buffalo, yet the Sabres announced in mid-July they'd reached their season ticket mark of 14,800, a notable achievement for a club which also missed the playoffs the past two years.

Another factor which adversely affected league revenue was the decline in the Canadian dollar, which last summer was at par with the U.S. dollar, but dropped to as low last winter as .78 cents U.S.

Since then however, the Canadian dollar has rallied and as of this writing is worth over .92 cents U.S. While most economists suggests that's unsustainable and the Canuck buck could decline, it's possible it could settle in between .85-.90 cents U.S. throughout next season.

With Canadian teams reportedly accounting for over 30 percent of league revenues and having no problems selling out their respective arenas, the improved value of the "loonie" throughout the coming season could have a positive impact upon league revenues.

Of course there are other variables which could adversely affect revenues.

Concessions, souvenirs, advertisement and broadcast revenues have yet to be collected for the upcoming season and the current volatility of the economy could still take its toll. It's difficult for the league's general managers and their "capologists" to gauge what the immediate future will bring, and combined with the flat-lining of this coming season's salary cap makes it difficult to plan out long-term roster building forecasts this summer.

A significant decrease in the 2010-11 salary cap is still a possibility and any general manger worth his salt has to anticipate this, but it's also possible it may not be a certainty.

Last edited by davetherave on Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:53 pm; edited 1 time in total

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

That damn loonie is going to save the Hawks, isn't it?

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

wprager wrote:That damn loonie is going to save the Hawks, isn't it?

Loonie to the rescue! :^^^^:

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Imagine if the cap did drop to $50M-$52M... holy heck would it suck to be a UFA at that time. Can you say pay cut? PAY CUT!

But, I'll say it again... the cap won't drop. That is my prediction.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Question:

If Balsillie bought Phoenix, would any of that $212M go toward league revenues?

TheAvatar

TheAvatar
Veteran
Veteran

shabbs wrote:Imagine if the cap did drop to $50M-$52M... holy heck would it suck to be a UFA at that time. Can you say pay cut? PAY CUT!

SHORT TERM CONTRACT! SHORT TERM CONTRACT !!!

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

wprager wrote:Question:

If Balsillie bought Phoenix, would any of that $212M go toward league revenues?
I don't think so... I don't think it would even cover all creditors...

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

shabbs wrote:Imagine if the cap did drop to $50M-$52M... holy heck would it suck to be a UFA at that time. Can you say pay cut? PAY CUT!

The Shabbinator is correct.

The UFAs and RFAs left hanging this year are part of the attrition (which was discussed in this forum some time ago) brought about by the anticipation of a possible reduction in the salary cap.

Another strategic move by GMs (notably in Detroit, Philadelphia and Chicago) was to move towards long term contracts that reduce the annual cap hit for 'core' stars.

Actually, this was presaged by Rick DiPietro's deal. At the time it was considered outrageous and is criticized by many--but only because RDP has been injured much of his career.

But at 4.5MM, if RDP recovers and regains his form, the price is not out of line with topshelf NHL netminders (Tim Thomas will make $20MM over the next four years, as a point of comparison).

The willingness of teams to look at players as long term investments may be increasing.

At the high end of the scale, currently, Alex Ovechkin is signed for the next 13 years, and that at around $9MM per.

The flip side is, a player needs to be ready to commit to that team. Dany Heatley's case serves as an example and a warning to both players and management in that regard.

That said, imagine the possibility that more and more young stars are signed in the future to 10-15 year deals...maybe more...is not out of the question.

Could a Jonathan Toews and/or Patrick Kane be signed to twenty year deals, locking them up until they are 40-42? Would we be surprised if they were?

If a player is talented enough, though, why couldn't they play that long? Gordie Howe proved it; Chris Chelios showed older players could contribute after 40, as 39 year old Nick Lidstrom may, should he re-sign with Detroit after his term runs out next June.

Hence, the notion that teams are 'torn apart' by the salary cap could become completely irrelevant.

Clubs could, logically, have a core of four to six stars, signed essentially for the duration of their careers--and the rest, who change on a cyclical basis, are either young, inexpensive talent; and mid-pack players on short term deals.

We're already seeing that starting to happen now.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

That may be Chicago's only way out of this cap mess if they sign their core to ultra-long contracts in order to spread out the cap hit.

15-year $75M contract averaging $5M/year cap hit...

20-year $100M contract averaging $5M/year cap hit...

Could it happen?

I guess it all depends on the economic scene at the time and if they want to get big shorter-term money elsewhere...

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

shabbs wrote:That may be Chicago's only way out of this cap mess if they sign their core to ultra-long contracts in order to spread out the cap hit.

Could it happen?

I guess it all depends on the economic scene at the time and if they want to get big shorter-term money elsewhere...

Shabbs>don't forget the so-called 'cap mess' is a creation of the Mainstream Hockey Media to keep all of us talking about something...and sending traffic to their web sites.

The NBA, NFL and MLB all spend MORE money on players than the NHL...do you hear the kind of squawking about 'cap mess' from the media covering those leagues?

As for players want 'big shorter term money elsewhere'...think about this.

If you're a pro athlete whose career could be shortened by any kind of unforeseen injury, wouldn't you prefer the security of a guaranteed long term deal for you and your family?

Do you think the majority of hockey players like moving their lives from city to city, uprooting everything to chase a bigger dollar?

Look at Daniel Alfredsson...he took 'less' to stay in Ottawa. Why wouldn't Toews, Kane, Keith, et al do the same to stay where they are? And especially if your team is successful?

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Well, MLB doesn't have a cap so they can spend whatever they want and I believe the NFL and NBA have luxury taxes that allow the rich teams to spend above but they have to pay for it. The NHL has a hard cap and the teams are feeling it.

As for Toews, Kane, Keith at al taking less money to stay local like Alfie... I'll believe it when I see it. Those kids are young and may want to stray and get the big dollars... but if they're drinking the kool aid in Chicago and want to keep a good thing going... they just may do that.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Those other sports you mentioned have lucrative TV deals. Hockey is a gate driven business, for the most part. Sure, there is some ad revenue, and there are souvenir sales but, by and large, the clubs that don't sell out on a nearly nightly basis are losing money. Some barely break even and need playoff revenue to turn a profit.

Yes, I know all that is on paper, but the fact remains: baseball, football and basketball are getting huge revenue from TV deals, which allows them to spend a lot more on player salaries.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Good point wprager. The lucrative TV deals are HUGE and it's what Bettman has been chasing and chasing...

Dare I call it... his Moby Dick... ?

Maybe...

davetherave wrote:
shabbs wrote:That may be Chicago's only way out of this cap mess if they sign their core to ultra-long contracts in order to spread out the cap hit.

Could it happen?

Shabbs>don't forget the so-called 'cap mess' is a creation of the Mainstream Hockey Media to keep all of us talking about something...and sending traffic to their web sites.

The NBA, NFL and MLB all spend MORE money on players than the NHL...do you hear the kind of squawking about 'cap mess' from the media covering those leagues?

As for players want 'big shorter term money elsewhere'...think about this.

If you're a pro athlete whose career could be shortened by any kind of unforeseen injury, wouldn't you prefer the security of a guaranteed long term deal for you and your family?

Do you think the majority of hockey players like moving their lives from city to city, uprooting everything to chase a bigger dollar?

Look at Daniel Alfredsson...he took 'less' to stay in Ottawa. Why wouldn't Toews, Kane, Keith, et al do the same to stay where they are? And especially if your team is successful?

If you have been following the NBA business at all you would know that David Stern has warned teams about a likely drop in the Salary Cap and Luxury tax threshold. On top of this many mid-level players are being squeezed just like the NHL due to management fears about next year.

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

RobbyJ> I DO follow NBA business...not as closely as NHL business, mind you.

I am not at all surprised if, as you say, David Stern is wagging his finger at the teams.

But my point stands. These other leagues spend far more than the NHL on players, and have far more elastic parameters.

The Mainstream Media in that case, seems to simply nod their heads...with only the occasional harrumph.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum