GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Burke Speaks Out on Heatley

+11
SensFan71
Riprock
rooneypoo
Mojo
shabbs
PKC
dennycrane
asq2
wprager
LeCaptain
Havlat9
15 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 3]

16Burke Speaks Out on Heatley - Page 2 Empty Re: Burke Speaks Out on Heatley Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:29 am

Mojo

Rookie
Rookie

Howard berger wrote a great article on this issue on everyone's favourite site.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Howard-Berger/Burke-Hypocritical-In-Heatley-Matter/3/21605

He brings up a really good point that got me thinking; is it any worse for a player to demand a trade than it is for a GM to buy out a player's contract?

The obvious answer as to why fans don't generally care when a player is bought out is because a GM would only buy out someone who isn't pulling their weight and makes too much money. Regardless, the GM is breaking a contract to a player who made a commitment to the organization. The player still gets some compensation in that they receive a portion of their expected salary and they can pursue another contract if anyone is interested, but they likely have a well-founded life in that city with a wife and kids. Conversely, when a player asks to be traded, the GM still gets compensation, but they do lose out on a piece of the team that they have assembled.

Does anyone see any holes in this argument? I can't myself, but this only just occurred to me now. If there is a difference, what is it?

17Burke Speaks Out on Heatley - Page 2 Empty Re: Burke Speaks Out on Heatley Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:36 am

shabbs

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

A buy-out usually occurs when a GM can't move the asset at all - like our Emery situation. His stock value was so low Murray had no choice as we had to get him outta there.

I view a buy-out as worse for the club because they don't get any compensation and some of the player's salary remains on the books and cap for a while. A buy-out should be a last resort move only.

At least with a trade request, you can get compensation back and get the player's salary off your books and cap hit.

18Burke Speaks Out on Heatley - Page 2 Empty Re: Burke Speaks Out on Heatley Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:50 am

Mojo

Rookie
Rookie

shabbs wrote:A buy-out usually occurs when a GM can't move the asset at all - like our Emery situation. His stock value was so low Murray had no choice as we had to get him outta there.

I view a buy-out as worse for the club because they don't get any compensation and some of the player's salary remains on the books and cap for a while. A buy-out should be a last resort move only.

At least with a trade request, you can get compensation back and get the player's salary off your books and cap hit.

For sure, the only compensation for the GM who buys out a player is that he has more cap room. I actually meant more in terms of ethics, as in, is there any ethical difference between asking for a trade and buying out a player?

This situation gets a little tricky in that there are two types of buyouts. The emery buyout for players who are too disruptive and need to be moved and the old-timer buyout, guys like Domi would fall into this category. Emery was a douche and needed to be moved out, but Domi's only fault was that he aged, and he can hardly be blamed for that.

19Burke Speaks Out on Heatley - Page 2 Empty Re: Burke Speaks Out on Heatley Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:59 am

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Well, as far as ethics, they're both desperation moves by each side... I don't see one as any worse than the other. In a buy-out, the GM is saying I don't want you anymore... in a trade request, the player is saying I don't wanna be here anymore. Not much different if you ask me.

20Burke Speaks Out on Heatley - Page 2 Empty Re: Burke Speaks Out on Heatley Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:22 am

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

wprager wrote:

If the reporter asking him the question was really good (and quick to duck) then he would have followed up (after Burke "weighed in" saying he'd never trade for a player like Heatley) with: "So, Brian, how was this situation different from the Pronger trade request? There was another player who, basically, quit on his team a year into signing a new contract. You have first-hand experience with that case, seeing as how you were the one who traded for him."

F'ing exactly. What a dirty f'ing hypocrite. The Pronger situation in EDM was precisely the same -- star player, end of his first year on a long-term deal, asks to be traded -- and yet Burke made that trade. I'd love to hear him backpedal out of that one.

F'ing windbag. It's patently obvious that Murray would never trade Heatley to a divisional rival, that Burke knows that, and that he has to save some face for the Leafs faithful -- i.e., "I'm not going after Heatley because I don't want him" when the case is really "I've got no shot at Heatley" -- to prepare them for the eventuality that he won't be getting Heatley.

Where does he get off talking in public about a player under contract for the Ottawa Senators, and attacking his character, no less? Last time K. Lowe did that about Bobby Ryan, Burke got the league to investigate for 'tampering.'

Biggest waste of space, loud mouth, windbag, DOUCHEBAG in this league. The guy is an f'ing embarrassment. Hey, guess what Burke, the sun doesn't shine out of your Donkey, and when you pee on my leg and tell me it's raining, I don't believe because I have two eyes for myself. Douchebag.

21Burke Speaks Out on Heatley - Page 2 Empty Re: Burke Speaks Out on Heatley Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:27 am

I hate Burke, he is such a transparent hypocrite. He is merely trying to drive down Heatley's trade value. What is even sadder is that the media is drinking it up. Especially Brennan who is most likely the worst hack out of all of the 'mainstream' sports reporters in Ottawa.

http://www.ottawasun.com/sports/hockey/2009/06/17/9833991.html

22Burke Speaks Out on Heatley - Page 2 Empty Re: Burke Speaks Out on Heatley Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:12 am

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

Spector's view on Burke here:

"Yes, I'm sure the Heatley camp is devastated Brian Burke doesn't like how they conduct business. Let's be honest, Burkie, if you were really interested in Heatley and if the Senators were actually willing to move him to a divisional and inter-provincial rival like the Leafs you'd be on this like ugly on an ape. He's only making that bluster because he has no interest and it gives him an opportunity to climb on his soapbox."

23Burke Speaks Out on Heatley - Page 2 Empty Re: Burke Speaks Out on Heatley Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:32 am

rooneypoo wrote:Spector's view on Burke here:

"Yes, I'm sure the Heatley camp is devastated Brian Burke doesn't like how they conduct business. Let's be honest, Burkie, if you were really interested in Heatley and if the Senators were actually willing to move him to a divisional and inter-provincial rival like the Leafs you'd be on this like ugly on an ape. He's only making that bluster because he has no interest and it gives him an opportunity to climb on his soapbox."

Soapbox? When has Burke ever done that? Laughing3

24Burke Speaks Out on Heatley - Page 2 Empty Re: Burke Speaks Out on Heatley Thu Jun 18, 2009 12:13 pm

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

If he was sincere in his statements, meaning he had no agenda, then I agree with his take on the situation. The way the Heatley trade has come about is not professional at all, and could cost the team that gave him a second chance and a nice living.

However, he has just shown he is a hypocrite since he says he would never trade for a player that demanded a trade like he did (as he did with Pronger, as already pointed out by our intelligent fans), and he's also discussing another teams contracted player in public, which he has threatened other GM's with tampering for doing (again, our smart members saw that one).

Someone really should call him out for this, though I'm sure no good would come of it.

25Burke Speaks Out on Heatley - Page 2 Empty Re: Burke Speaks Out on Heatley Thu Jun 18, 2009 12:33 pm

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

MurderOnIce wrote:I hate Burke, he is such a transparent hypocrite. He is merely trying to drive down Heatley's trade value. What is even sadder is that the media is drinking it up. Especially Brennan who is most likely the worst hack out of all of the 'mainstream' sports reporters in Ottawa.

[url=http://www.ottawasun.com/sports/hockey/2009/06/17/9833991.html
http://www.ottawasun.com/sports/hockey/2009/06/17/9833991.html[/quote[/url]]

damn you burke, hockey karma better come back and bite in the effin Donkey, god I hate Burke and the Leafs, smug bastards, hope they flounder at the bottom of the league forever.

26Burke Speaks Out on Heatley - Page 2 Empty Re: Burke Speaks Out on Heatley Thu Jun 18, 2009 12:41 pm

SensGirl11

SensGirl11
Mod
Mod

Burke is moronic, and this whole interview made him look like an idiot, IMO. Sure, I believe you don't want Heatley, Burke. :KJK: Your team blows hot chunks, Heatley would make you sooo much better.

I think he came out saying this because he knows he can't get him.

Very odd interview and very stupid.

27Burke Speaks Out on Heatley - Page 2 Empty Re: Burke Speaks Out on Heatley Thu Jun 18, 2009 12:43 pm

SensGirl11

SensGirl11
Mod
Mod

dennycrane wrote:Pronger = Heatley

Who was the GM that traded for Pronger again?

Exactly! He's just idiotic in saying this when he's done it in the past. And it worked out famously for him.

28Burke Speaks Out on Heatley - Page 2 Empty Re: Burke Speaks Out on Heatley Thu Jun 18, 2009 12:49 pm

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

SensGirl11 wrote:
dennycrane wrote:Pronger = Heatley

Who was the GM that traded for Pronger again?

Exactly! He's just idiotic in saying this when he's done it in the past. And it worked out famously for him.

When you're a Genius, everything works out for you. Wherever Heatley ends up, it will all have been predetermined by The Genius and seemingly unrelated, successful, results for the Leafs will ensue.

Masterful.

29Burke Speaks Out on Heatley - Page 2 Empty Re: Burke Speaks Out on Heatley Thu Jun 18, 2009 12:49 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Diddle, now George McPhee's saying the same thing.

May I ask these diddling GMs to mind their own business? How about that? Just Diddle off and we'll all have a nice, long chat about it when we've dealt him.

Diddle.

🇬🇬

30Burke Speaks Out on Heatley - Page 2 Empty Re: Burke Speaks Out on Heatley Thu Jun 18, 2009 12:52 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

SpezDispenser wrote:Diddle, now George McPhee's saying the same thing.

May I ask these diddling GMs to mind their own business? How about that? Just Diddle off and we'll all have a nice, long chat about it when we've dealt him.

Diddle.

🇬🇬
Oh man... the nightmare continues...

http://www.canada.com/awards+notebook/1706837/story.html

Maybe Murray can call them up and say "Hey, cool until I've dealt this boy... then you can mouth off all you want."

Bah.

31Burke Speaks Out on Heatley - Page 2 Empty Re: Burke Speaks Out on Heatley Thu Jun 18, 2009 12:54 pm

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

No worries. The only GMs running their mouths are those who have no chance of getting Heatley anyhow.

32Burke Speaks Out on Heatley - Page 2 Empty Re: Burke Speaks Out on Heatley Thu Jun 18, 2009 12:56 pm

SensGirl11

SensGirl11
Mod
Mod

Well, if this continues and it actually goes all the way down the line and nobody wants him, it looks like he will have to swallow his pride and play here next season. (which I highly doubt by the way, I'm sure even the GM's saying they don't want him, do want him)

Good job Heater! Your big mouth may have gotten you in more trouble than you thought.

Russia?

33Burke Speaks Out on Heatley - Page 2 Empty Re: Burke Speaks Out on Heatley Thu Jun 18, 2009 1:02 pm

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

i'm not sure heatley is going anywere before draft day. even before july 1st. first the 4 million thing, next it will depend on lecavalier, Jay bo and gaborik... whoever were the losers in those will probably show an interest...

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum