GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Burke sounds off on Heatley...the coward

+7
The Silfer Server
Hayden
davetherave
shabbs
SensFan71
asq2
jamvan
11 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Burke sounds off on Heatley...the coward Empty Burke sounds off on Heatley...the coward Wed Jun 17, 2009 4:10 pm

jamvan

jamvan
Veteran
Veteran

Toronto Maple Leafs general manager Brian Burke let it be known that the Leafs will not be in on the Dany Heatley sweepstakes, and he pulled no punches along the way.
In a phone interview with Deb Placey and Billy Jaffe on NHL Live! broadcast on the NHL network, Burke stated that the Leafs had no interest in the two-time 50 goal scorer, largely because of the way he has chosen to handle his trade request.
"We're not going to be in on that," Burke stated. "He's a good player but I have certain guidelines on how players ask for trades."
Despite being only one year into a six-year, $45 million contract extension, the 28-year old Heatley went public with a trade demand last week, claiming he was unhappy with his role on the team and his relationship with Sens' head coach Cory Clouston. Heatley, and his agents, J.P. Barry and Stacey McAlpine's actions did not sit well with Burke.
"When you have players come ask you for a trade, I tell the players 'don't finish that sentence,' because once you ask, I'm going to move you," Burke stated. "If a player wants out, you're darn right I'm going to move you. I'm not kissing anyone's Donkey to play in my town, so to hell with you, don't finish the sentence. My second rule is if I hear about this, you're not going anywhere."
While Burke stated that he has no problem with players requesting a trade, he was unhappy with Heatley's decision to go public with his request, thus making Senators' general manager Bryan Murray's chances of moving the sniper extremely difficult.
"For a player to pop off and say he wants out or leak it (to the media), in my mind you are now no longer interested in your team. If you've done that you've handicapped them, you've handcuffed your GM."
While Burke admitted that the Leafs planned to be very active in the off-season and had plenty of money and cap space at their disposal, the 2002 Calder Trophy winner would not be welcome in Toronto under his tenure.
"As long as you are on that team, you owe them to maximize the asset, and once you've taken that step, sorry I don't accept that."

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

Although I get tired of hearing Burke's opinion on everything under the sun, I agree with him here.

Anyway, I doubt anyone would think an Ottawa - Toronto trade concerning Heatley would be in the works.

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

asq2 wrote:Although I get tired of hearing Burke's opinion on everything under the sun, I agree with him here.

Anyway, I doubt anyone would think an Ottawa - Toronto trade concerning Heatley would be in the works.

Toronto has nothing worth Heatley anyway, so yeah, this would never go down.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Burke... more hot air for no reason at all... he just loves to hear himself talk. He wasn't going there anyway, so he should have just shut it.

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

Thanks Jamvan--I also posted this on the "Murray Vs Heatley' thread.

Shabbs>Actually, considering that Burke is both a lawyer and former VP of the NHL, he may also be 'drawing a line in the sand' for players who think they can get away with what Heatley appears to be trying to do.

No matter how it gets spun, Heatley's reneging on his legal Agreement to be an Ottawa Senator.

And Burke is telling Heatley and his agent, "Don't even think about coming here."

It will be interesting to see if other GMs take similar positions...or not.

Hayden

Hayden
Rookie
Rookie

Didn't Burke trade for Pronger....

...NOT.

Burke was never going to be a player in this and he knows it. He loves to hear himself talk and loves to see his picture in the paper...

There are a pack of clowns crawling all over each other to get Heatley.... this will get done and Murray will get what he wants. It always happens like it or not.

..didn't Burke get Pronger from Edmonton.. funny?!

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

SensFan71 wrote:
asq2 wrote:Although I get tired of hearing Burke's opinion on everything under the sun, I agree with him here.

I would consider Schenn, the 7th pick, Kulemin and Kaberle. Sarcasm

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

asq2 wrote:
SensFan71 wrote:

well since Burke says he will never part with Schenn (even though he wants to move up to get Tavares and somehow he can do that without Schenn involved), that trade will never come to fruition, Heatley will go out west and be as far from being a problem to us as possible.

The Silfer Server

The Silfer Server
Veteran
Veteran

Hayden wrote:Didn't Burke trade for Pronger....

Hahaha, well played... Hayden = 1, Burke = 0

Mojo

Mojo
Rookie
Rookie

What a surprise, Mr. "I love the sound of my own voice" pipes up about Heatley. I honestly think he only came out with these statements to take a shot at the Sens. I know in words he seems to support Murray, but these statements can only hurt Murray's chances, not improve them. Burke doesn't need to come out and say he doesn't want Heatley because he knows the Leafs don't have the assets to bring him in and Murray would never send him there anyways.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

davetherave wrote:Shabbs>Actually, considering that Burke is both a lawyer and former VP of the NHL, he may also be 'drawing a line in the sand' for players who think they can get away with what Heatley appears to be trying to do.
I would have preferred he do it after Murray moves Heater. But all this hoopla before Murray makes any deal isn't helping us.

asq2 wrote:
SensFan71 wrote:

You'd consider it? D.O.N.E.

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

hemlock wrote:
asq2 wrote:
SensFan71 wrote:

You'd consider it? D.O.N.E.

Yeah, that's what the Sarcasm was for. Wink

Alas, we can only dream.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

What a diddling dumb article. Just because he can't get his hands on Heatley, he needs to talk?

Diddle off buddy.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum