GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Sens Chirp believes Cammalleri on Murray's radar.

+5
jamvan
SeawaySensFan
Cap'n Clutch
PTFlea
SensFan71
9 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 3]

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I will say this: something's happening.

It may or may not be Spezza, but for sure Murray, Dorion and Forsberg found someone late in the first that they want badly, so they'll get that pick I would imagine. I'm not sure how - or who they'll move to get it, but if his scouts are saying that someone in that area is worth getting big time, then someone's leaving.

Chris Kelly? I doubt pretty highly that garners a late 1st. Brian Lee? Maybe. Brian Lee/Picard and Chris Kelly...well maybe we're getting somewhere.

I hope Campoli was worth it - I personally think he is - but it's gonna cause an issue now that we want that pick back so badly.

I didnt know that about the late first... Could it be Tim Exiron? Ferrao? Holland? Who knows..

If The Sens can add and to their current lineup by trading Spezza for w/e, and replace him with Camelleri, I think it's a good move. Adding both of those guys together would be a disaster though.

jamvan

Veteran
Veteran

Neely4Life wrote:I think Spezza needs a fresh start personally, I dont think things will change in Ottawa for him, but at the same time, with Camilerri coming in, like Savard, getting bounced around the league a bit and then signing a mid term contract 4, 5 years could have a serious impact.

3 years ago, who would you have rather had? Thornton or Savard? NO BRAINER... now? I think most people would say Savard at this point. You dont need to replace every single thing Spezza brings, but a fresh face up the middle with tallent surrounding him could indeed be a good thing for the Sens.

I'm not sold on Camelerri at all, but Spezza isnt any better. Character is a non issue when comparing these two, because at this point, you would need a blood sample to actually try and find any. But signing Camelerri for 4 or 5 years, for about 5.5, IMO is a better option than Spezza with the return Spezza would garner in a trade.

That's a lot of cap space over a 4, 5 year period. 1.5 mil could go a long way. If people are going to say "Camerlerri isnt 1/2 the player Spezza is" thats BS. He might only get 70-80 points, but he will get 70-80 points.

Again, just look at the Boston situation and the Sens having 3 draft picks in the 1st two round already, 2, 3 years from now the Sens could be rolling when all is said and done.
Well, I have to agree with you on the Cammalerri thing.

I rememeber calling into the Team 1200 back when Savard was a free agent, as they asked a question who the Sens should pick up. I said Savard and they laughed at me.

He was affordable then and imagine we had Savard and Spezza for the Cup run?

I think Savard landed in the perfect place for him personally, signing Savard in Ottawa might have been a bit of a disaster as well. You can't have questions marks all around your team, especially in the top 2 centers spots.

The Sens are at a cross road right now and if the right decisions are not made then people might be screaming for more than just Spezza to be traded.

This isnt Spezza bashing but I dont think there is any chance Spezza will ever become the player he can be IN OTTAWA. For him to actually succeed he might need a real wake up call, not being benched or sat out, but being dealt. The untouchable feeling that players get is just as bad, if not worse, than a new player coming in with character issues.

Camelerri has been bounced around enough now that he might want to really hunker down and prove he can be one of the best in the game as well, I dont see that with Spezza staying in Ottawa. Also, once again, the return for Spezza would be decent plus our picks this year to add to the Sens in 2 or 3 years... If things are planned correctly The Sens could be on top on the East in a couple years... If not, it's going to be a long haul as a bubble team without anything to really get excitted about.

jamvan

jamvan
Veteran
Veteran

Neely4Life wrote:I think Savard landed in the perfect place for him personally, signing Savard in Ottawa might have been a bit of a disaster as well. You can't have questions marks all around your team, especially in the top 2 centers spots.

The Sens are at a cross road right now and if the right decisions are not made then people might be screaming for more than just Spezza to be traded.

This isnt Spezza bashing but I dont think there is any chance Spezza will ever become the player he can be IN OTTAWA. For him to actually succeed he might need a real wake up call, not being benched or sat out, but being dealt. The untouchable feeling that players get is just as bad, if not worse, than a new player coming in with character issues.

Camelerri has been bounced around enough now that he might want to really hunker down and prove he can be one of the best in the game as well, I dont see that with Spezza staying in Ottawa. Also, once again, the return for Spezza would be decent plus our picks this year to add to the Sens in 2 or 3 years... If things are planned correctly The Sens could be on top on the East in a couple years... If not, it's going to be a long haul as a bubble team without anything to really get excitted about.
I've also heard some pretty brutal stories about Camm from past team mates of his. He's an all about me type guy and falls within the lines of a Ray Emery type persona.

As for Savard, I think he'd be good almost anywhere, but Boston is definitely a good fit. Chiarelli has done one hell of a job there and I often wonder if we kept the wrong guy at GM, becasue of the job he has done there.

I actually think oposite you when it comes to Spezza and that's cool. I think he's progressing alright. He's led the team in scoring the past two seasons and he continues to work on aspects of his game that he knows are weak. I said the one thing Spezza needs to do is toughen up. Watchign Eric Staal play these past playoffs, made me tink what if Spezza showed even close to that fight. It is possible and I think it will happen.

The Sens need Fisher to bring his game to another level or find another scoring center. They have the pieces, just not all of them IMO. I can see Foligno getting close to 25 goals with the right line mates, but the youth in our farm, shows there's no immediate fix and thatplug needs to found via FA.

I still think the Sens are going to turn some heads this season. Remember, the Ducks had a rough go after going to the Cup final and losing, then came back years later to beat us.

Your synopsis of things is a definite possibility, but we all know how fast things change in this league. There are 100's of factors!!!

PS. Please accept my apologies for my juvenile statements yesterday. It was just one of those days. Cheers!

Phoenix30

Phoenix30
Veteran
Veteran

504Heater wrote:
Cap'n Clutch wrote:Well if he does come it sounds like he'll be a cheaper replacement for one of Spezza or Heatley. I can't say I'd be too upset unless he truly is a poor character guy that's unable to step up.

It's true. There's no question now. His character was questioned in LA, then he couldn't step up for Calgary in the 1st round.

He wasn't the only one to not step up. The rest of the Flames who for the most part have been kept together. Have been knocked out in the 1st round the past 3 years.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Phoenix30 wrote:
He wasn't the only one to not step up. The rest of the Flames who for the most part have been kept together. Have been knocked out in the 1st round the past 3 years.

True, the Flames have their own problems for sure.

Phoenix30

Phoenix30
Veteran
Veteran

504Heater wrote:
Phoenix30 wrote:

True, the Flames have their own problems for sure.

And the would love to have Cammie back if he came in at a reasonable price.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

cammie keeps being an interesting rummour to follow, i imagine quite a few contracts(including Jay Bo) will be traded before july 1st. i guess once the cup is won the action really starts here.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Phoenix30 wrote:

They might be able to do it actually. It's tricky, but if he'll 'settle' for 5 million per season, they could do it with some tinkering. Especially knowing that Jokinen will be leaving after next season (I believe).

If only they could find a taker for Vandermeer...

504Heater wrote:
Phoenix30 wrote:

They might be able to do it actually. It's tricky, but if he'll 'settle' for 5 million per season, they could do it with some tinkering. Especially knowing that Jokinen will be leaving after next season (I believe).

Or Sarich or Langkow. Around $5 million for Cammalleri puts them at around $50 million. They still need a backup goaltender, probably a defenceman or two, and a few forwards. They only have 7 forwards signed for next season. Unless they are going with Matt Pelech and John Negrin, they will need another d-man there, assuming Pardy is resigned. This also assumes they are letting Bertuzzi, Leopold and Aucoin walk.

They may have to sacrifice too much to resign Cammalleri. Not worth it in my opinion. They ought to let guys like Dustin Boyd, David Moss and Curtis Glencross have a shot on the 2nd line and use the Cammalleri money on someone who'll better suit the new system they'll surely have in place next season. I'd bet money that if Brent Sutter isn't the coach next season, Daryl will be keeping that seat warm for him. Either way, Cammalleri's attitude and game will find himself in the doghouse very quickly.

Acrobat

Acrobat
Veteran
Veteran

So putting the pieces together, and throwing it out there, if Murray wanted to make a move for the late-first pick, could he be packaging Spezza/Lee/Auld for Cammaleri/prospect? plus the 1st rounder?

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

Acrobat wrote:So putting the pieces together, and throwing it out there, if Murray wanted to make a move for the late-first pick, could he be packaging Spezza/Lee/Auld for Cammaleri/prospect? plus the 1st rounder?

To make that fair, by prospect you'd better mean Phaneuf.

The UFA rights to a worse, smaller, older player and a late first does not get you a better, bigger, younger player signed long-term, plus a young defenceman with upside, plus a good back-up on a nice contract.

Why give anything for Cammaleri's rights when you can wait a bit longer and sign him?

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Acrobat wrote:So putting the pieces together, and throwing it out there, if Murray wanted to make a move for the late-first pick, could he be packaging Spezza/Lee/Auld for Cammaleri/prospect? plus the 1st rounder?

More like Spezza for Atlanta's 4th overall, Lee for the late first round pick they covet (unless Lee's in their plans, he's young and has some nice upside) and then sign Camm. to a UFA contract of 5 million ish.

We definitely don't get better up front, but we get B.Schenn, Kane, MPS etc, plus we still have our 9th overall and now we're positioned to add a 3rd 1st rounder - although likely very late.

That's what would happen - if a shakeup of monumental proportions were believed to be the answer.

Phoenix30

Phoenix30
Veteran
Veteran

hemlock wrote:
504Heater wrote:
Phoenix30 wrote:

Or Sarich or Langkow. Around $5 million for Cammalleri puts them at around $50 million. They still need a backup goaltender, probably a defenceman or two, and a few forwards. They only have 7 forwards signed for next season. Unless they are going with Matt Pelech and John Negrin, they will need another d-man there, assuming Pardy is resigned. This also assumes they are letting Bertuzzi, Leopold and Aucoin walk.

They may have to sacrifice too much to resign Cammalleri. Not worth it in my opinion. They ought to let guys like Dustin Boyd, David Moss and Curtis Glencross have a shot on the 2nd line and use the Cammalleri money on someone who'll better suit the new system they'll surely have in place next season. I'd bet money that if Brent Sutter isn't the coach next season, Daryl will be keeping that seat warm for him. Either way, Cammalleri's attitude and game will find himself in the doghouse very quickly.

Calgary has their back in Curtis McElhinney. They signed him to a 2 year 1 way deal for 1.2 over the duration of the deal. Suter wants to give him more games this season to see what he can do. He is a low risk and high reward for them at the moment. Suter also mentioned on air that this is the best scenario for the team because of the money tied up in kipper.

Ahh yes, I forgot that they signed Curtis McElhinney. Still lots of bodies needed to fill their roster one way or another.

Acrobat

Acrobat
Veteran
Veteran

asq2 wrote:

To make that fair, by prospect you'd better mean Phaneuf.

The UFA rights to a worse, smaller, older player and a late first does not get you a better, bigger, younger player signed long-term, plus a young defenceman with upside, plus a good back-up on a nice contract.

Why give anything for Cammaleri's rights when you can wait a bit longer and sign him?

I was presuming a signed Cammaleri, at a discount that appealed to Murray; and yes, Phaneuf would be nice, but I had meant to type prospects (with an "s"), and would expect that there would be at least one blue-chipper in there.

Part of the goal would be to chop the cap hit; part of it is to keep rebuilding for the future, as I'm willing to give up another year in rebuild mode (draft next year is stacked). Still more would be to relocate two underachieving centres who just cant seem to get it going.

In getting rid of Spezza, the potential bonus is that maybe Heater turns into the player he can be - the bona fide power forward who doesn't just skate around with his stick in the air waiting to one-time a pass. And then maybe he becomes one of the leaders of the team into the future.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Phoenix30 wrote:
Calgary has their back in Curtis McElhinney. They signed him to a 2 year 1 way deal for 1.2 over the duration of the deal. Suter wants to give him more games this season to see what he can do. He is a low risk and high reward for them at the moment. Suter also mentioned on air that this is the best scenario for the team because of the money tied up in kipper.

I apologize, sometimes I'm a pessimist, but why would they waste their time and money on McElhinney? I've seen him enough, he's nothing special. Why not try to acquire a guy like Alex Auld and take some of the games and pressure away from Kipper? I would say that Kipper should not play more than 60 games. Towards the end, he looked tired and was letting in goals that a guy like him (who's paid so much) shouldn't be letting in.

If the Flames' org. things McE. can munch up 20 games and give them good goaltending, then they're on the right path. If they think there's some question marks, I would say be pro-active and acquire someone who's a great, seasoned backup.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum