GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Spezza won't be traded.

+17
NEELY
Ev
Cronie
shabbs
shield4life
Flo The Action
asq2
mattshock
SeawaySensFan
davetherave
PKC
jamvan
Cap'n Clutch
PTFlea
SensFan71
wprager
Phoenix30
21 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 11]

16Spezza won't be traded. - Page 2 Empty Re: Spezza won't be traded. Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:26 am

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Cap'n Clutch wrote:Don't put it all on Neely. I myself was flip flopping on the guy. I tend to get like that about the Sens. Ahhhhh!

Me too. At the end of the day I trust Bryan Murray if he thinks this is right, but I flip-flop on Spezza from time to time as well.

17Spezza won't be traded. - Page 2 Empty Re: Spezza won't be traded. Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:28 am

504Heater wrote:
Cap'n Clutch wrote:Don't put it all on Neely. I myself was flip flopping on the guy. I tend to get like that about the Sens. Ahhhhh!

Me too. At the end of the day I trust Bryan Murray if he thinks this is right, but I flip-flop on Spezza from time to time as well.

Gonna have to trust Murray, his job, Spezza's career, and he future of the Sens is riding on this move/non move. I'm still shocked he said Canada should be taking a serious look at him... based on what...? That comment scared me more than anything and REALLY has me questioning where Murray's head is at. He signed Spezza to that deal and saying that makes me think his ego might be a little out of wack at this point.

18Spezza won't be traded. - Page 2 Empty Re: Spezza won't be traded. Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:30 am

jamvan

Veteran
Veteran

Neely4Life wrote:If Murray does keep him, that fine, his job rest with exactly what Spezza does, but he can't be so out of touch to today's game that he actually think Canada needs to take a serious look at him for the Olympic Team.... I hope that's lip service because if it isnt, the Sens are in a lot of trouble if Murray is evaluating Ottawa's tallent to the rest of the league's.

This isnt a surrpising article, I really dont think there is much of a chance when to trade the guy and his contract when you look at what the rest of the top end centers are paid like in the league, the ones that are "only in their 20's"

Good thing Murray has figured out the problem with Spezza. Spezza needs to play hard every night.... oh wow, problem solved. He is in the gym working hard... points in the standings for that? Any rings come with a bench press?

Anyways if the Sens keep him, they keep him but the entire franchise rest on his shoulders. If Spezza thought people were tough on him before, if he has another year like he has the last 2 he may be run out of the city like Yashin was.
Did Spezza sleep with you GF or something? Why the pure hate for him?

So leading the team in scoring the past two years gets you run out of here? LOL!....................

19Spezza won't be traded. - Page 2 Empty Re: Spezza won't be traded. Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:33 am

jamvan wrote:
Neely4Life wrote:If Murray does keep him, that fine, his job rest with exactly what Spezza does, but he can't be so out of touch to today's game that he actually think Canada needs to take a serious look at him for the Olympic Team.... I hope that's lip service because if it isnt, the Sens are in a lot of trouble if Murray is evaluating Ottawa's tallent to the rest of the league's.

This isnt a surrpising article, I really dont think there is much of a chance when to trade the guy and his contract when you look at what the rest of the top end centers are paid like in the league, the ones that are "only in their 20's"

Good thing Murray has figured out the problem with Spezza. Spezza needs to play hard every night.... oh wow, problem solved. He is in the gym working hard... points in the standings for that? Any rings come with a bench press?

Anyways if the Sens keep him, they keep him but the entire franchise rest on his shoulders. If Spezza thought people were tough on him before, if he has another year like he has the last 2 he may be run out of the city like Yashin was.

So

That joke has only been made 100 times, so good for you, 101 right there.

Hate? Nope, but he isnt a franchise player and is paid like one, he isnt a 1st line center on a champinship team either, but he is paid like one. Spezza isn't good enough to carry a team and thats been proven time and time again.

Murray also said the Sens wouldnt be dealing for a goalie, especially Leclaire a day before the deadline so...

20Spezza won't be traded. - Page 2 Empty Re: Spezza won't be traded. Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:33 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Neely4Life wrote:
Gonna have to trust Murray, his job, Spezza's career, and he future of the Sens is riding on this move/non move. I'm still shocked he said Canada should be taking a serious look at him... based on what...? That comment scared me more than anything and REALLY has me questioning where Murray's head is at. He signed Spezza to that deal and saying that makes me think his ego might be a little out of wack at this point.

It's lip service. Unless Spezza is willing to play a wing position - and even then there's almost no chance. I think Murray was eluding to the fact that Spezza played a key part in Canada winning the silver and that he should at least be looked at, but I doubt he really cares one way or the other. He was very good in the Worlds and I think this is Murray's way of saying: look, this kid has the goods, now we have to ensure that he brings those goods to the table every night. And that includes becoming much, much stronger, both in body - and on the puck.

I think there's little doubt now that Murray's entire career rides on this, so if he's been watching him with the eye of a guy who's been in hockey for 40 years - and he likes what he's seeing - and probably more importantly, what he's hearing from Spezza, who are we to argue right now? Shrug

Also, not to be an arsehole towards Spezza, but you bring up a point. If he doesn't put it all together soon, he will be run out of town - and by the time the media and fans are done with him, he'll be begging to be traded to whatever team shows interest. The NTC definitely means something, but it's not the be all to end all that we all think it is.

21Spezza won't be traded. - Page 2 Empty Re: Spezza won't be traded. Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:34 am

jamvan wrote:

So leading the team in scoring the past two years gets you run out of here? LOL!....................

Isnt that what Yashin did as well....? Only difference is Yashin's best season was better than Spezza's.

Anyways, way more to hockey that the points you put up but I wouldnt expect a simp like you to actually understand that.

22Spezza won't be traded. - Page 2 Empty Re: Spezza won't be traded. Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:36 am

jamvan

jamvan
Veteran
Veteran

Neely4Life wrote:
jamvan wrote:

So

Hate? Nope, but he isnt a franchise player and is paid like one, he isnt a 1st line center on a champinship team either, but he is paid like one. Spezza isn't good enough to carry a team and thats been proven time and time again.

Murray also said the Sens wouldnt be dealing for a goalie, especially Leclaire a day before the deadline so...
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't he the #1 center for the Eastern Conference Champions? That would make him a #1 center on a championship team right there.

Oh well, talking with people like yourself is futile, as they only see things one way. No one elses opinions matter, i've seen it in every single one of your posts.

23Spezza won't be traded. - Page 2 Empty Re: Spezza won't be traded. Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:38 am

jamvan

jamvan
Veteran
Veteran

Neely4Life wrote:
jamvan wrote:

Isnt that what Yashin did as well....? Only difference is Yashin's best season was better than Spezza's.

Anyways, way more to hockey that the points you put up but I wouldnt expect a simp like you to actually understand that.
Rather be a simp than an ***hole like yourself. The biggest goof on this site is you.

24Spezza won't be traded. - Page 2 Empty Re: Spezza won't be traded. Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:39 am

504Heater wrote:
Neely4Life wrote:

It's lip service. Unless Spezza is willing to play a wing position - and even then there's almost no chance. I think Murray was eluding to the fact that Spezza played a key part in Canada winning the silver and that he should at least be looked at, but I doubt he really cares one way or the other. He was very good in the Worlds and I think this is Murray's way of saying: look, this kid has the goods, now we have to ensure that he brings those goods to the table every night. And that includes becoming much, much stronger, both in body - and on the puck.

I think there's little doubt now that Murray's entire career rides on this, so if he's been watching him with the eye of a guy who's been in hockey for 40 years - and he likes what he's seeing - and probably more importantly, what he's hearing from Spezza, who are we to argue right now? Shrug

Also, not to be an arsehole towards Spezza, but you bring up a point. If he doesn't put it all together soon, he will be run out of town - and by the time the media and fans are done with him, he'll be begging to be traded to whatever team shows interest. The NTC definitely means something, but it's not the be all to end all that we all think it is.

I would say Murray's entire NHL legacy rides on this. He is the guy who built that ducks team and I've said that forever, but it also took dealing his big "number 1" center for the Ducks to actually win that cup. Federov got dealt and that team was off to the races. Only difference is Federov had 3 cups and a Hart Trophy.

Spezza is overpaid and I dont think there are many people that are going to disagree with that but he signed the deal, now its time to live up to it. He's off to about the worst start you can get, if the Sens dont get into at least the 2nd round next year with a revamped D, a true number 1 goaltender, and a new, energetic new coach, all fingers will be pointed right at Spezza, like the should be. He wants to make the big bucks and throw out the cliches about him wanting to be the guy, put up or shut up. He should do the later a lot more.

25Spezza won't be traded. - Page 2 Empty Re: Spezza won't be traded. Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:40 am

jamvan wrote:
Neely4Life wrote:
jamvan wrote:

So

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't he the #1 center for the Eastern Conference Champions? That would make him a #1 center on a championship team right there.

Oh well, talking with people like yourself is futile, as they only see things one way. No one elses opinions matter, i've seen it in every single one of your posts.

EC Champs, lol, yup, you get into the HHOF for that.

26Spezza won't be traded. - Page 2 Empty Re: Spezza won't be traded. Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:51 am

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

You know what would kind of be funny, now that his name has been mentioned in here? If the Sens were to sign Yashin to play second line center for us.

Maybe you might even get the quite productive Yashin without any of the leadership headache.

27Spezza won't be traded. - Page 2 Empty Re: Spezza won't be traded. Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:54 am

Well, I'm not sure where the leadership is going to come from next year, you have Alfi, Fisher, and Phillips... after that it's non exsistant.

It's a good thing the EC is so weak because the Sens wouldnt have a shot in the West, even with Yashin as a 2nd line center.

28Spezza won't be traded. - Page 2 Empty Re: Spezza won't be traded. Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:56 am

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

Neely4Life wrote:Well, I'm not sure where the leadership is going to come from next year, you have Alfi, Fisher, and Phillips... after that it's non exsistant.

It's a good thing the EC is so weak because the Sens wouldnt have a shot in the West, even with Yashin as a 2nd line center.

I like to think of team leadership as more of a by-committee kind of thing. Sure you have a captain and two alternates, but I think every person should be responsible for how the team presents itself...on a team coached by me, every player would be a part of the leadership of the team.

29Spezza won't be traded. - Page 2 Empty Re: Spezza won't be traded. Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:00 pm

Like Detroit... fact of the matter is there are a few people in Ottawa who really drag it down in Heatley and Spezza. Playing those kind of mins, that kind of PP time and you cant put an consistant effort together for more than a 2 game stretch? That's the kind of thing that drags the team down and hurts more than anything.

But again I'll say Murray went out of his way to deny that any trade for a goaltender was coming a day before the deadline.

30Spezza won't be traded. - Page 2 Empty Re: Spezza won't be traded. Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:02 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Neely4Life wrote:Well, I'm not sure where the leadership is going to come from next year, you have Alfi, Fisher, and Phillips... after that it's non exsistant.

This is what's been gnawing at me for the last little while. We have Alfie, we have Fisher, we have Phillips.

But we need a forward who's steeped in experience and knows how to act, when to say something, when to grab Heater or Spezza by the throat and tell them exactly what's gonna happen if they dog it again.

In essence, we need someone who NEEDS to win a Cup - and will do whatever it takes to make it happen. I realize Alfie, Phillips etc. are that kind of guy that needs to win, but I want a guy who's been there and is VOCAL. A true leader to back up Alfie and Philly.

That's my take - and I believe in it 100%.

31Spezza won't be traded. - Page 2 Empty Re: Spezza won't be traded. Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:13 pm

Well, someone who has won something, on some level that can lead the team into the future. Alfi is going to be 37 at the end of next year, how much more do people really expect from the guy? He isnt going to be here forever and the injuries are going to catch up with a guy his age. Sad but true.

The Sens as of yet and not adressed the most important thing IMO and I think it's basically what you said Heater, CHARACTER. There is absolutly none in Ottawa. When things are going well I dont think there is a team in the league that can beat Ottawa, when things dont go their way, I dont think there is a team in the league Ottawa can beat. That's all based on team character and the players within it. Spezza is a DIRECT reflection of that. He cna go on a tear like no one else in the league but once something gets in his way, or something doesnt go his way, it's in the crapper for him.

Ottawa is easy to frustrate, easy to take off their game, and basically, easy to beat in a tight game. Teams have figured out Spezza and Heatley, how some people havnt seen that by now based on the last 2 years, well, guess they should just watch things a little more closely.
Until the Sens adress that, its max 1 playoff round and out, then just another off season of crying and biching by us.

32Spezza won't be traded. - Page 2 Empty Re: Spezza won't be traded. Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:19 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Bang on. There's nothing to argue there.

Now, finding a guy to bring the character level up for these guys is probably a lot harder than it sounds. The first step was Clouston - and it was a good and big step. The second step is a guy who's been there before and NEEDS to win one last time before his career is through. Raw desire and a vocal leader who will at times wear his emotions on his sleeve is much more important to me personally than some slick winger who will score 25 goals.

33Spezza won't be traded. - Page 2 Empty Re: Spezza won't be traded. Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:26 pm

They are all locked up long term, and the young guys that want to win now have all won in Jr. People tend to forget how important winning at a young age is and how critical it is to NHL success these days.

You look at all the great young players in the league, Richards, Toews, Crosby, Ovechkin, Getzlaf, Phaneuf, Weber, Price, so on, they all won on some level before they got into the NHL.

Like it or not, aside from Phillips,Alfi, to a lesser extent Heatley, the rest of the team is a bunch of losers with very little character. People are so sensative to loving their team in Ottawa they fail to see this. No one there knows how to win, and the guy that is front and center (literally) has NO IDEA what it takes and the proof is in his entire history in the NHL and Jr.

Winning is something The Sens have to work a lot harder for than they did 5, 6, 7 years ago when some of these young guys came in and just expected to. The guys that were there then did a lot of lossing before they ever won. The Sens have a lot more losing in front of them before they have a shot at competing with the top teams again.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 11]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum