GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

2009 STANLEY CUP PLAYOFFS: PITTSBURGH PENGUINS VS. DETROIT RED WINGS

+10
Riprock
caissie_1
SensFan71
wprager
Cap'n Clutch
Acrobat
PKC
Mariposa Belle
shabbs
davetherave
14 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

WHO WILL BE THE 2009 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS?

2009 STANLEY CUP PLAYOFFS: PITTSBURGH PENGUINS VS. DETROIT RED WINGS - Page 9 Vote_lcap20%2009 STANLEY CUP PLAYOFFS: PITTSBURGH PENGUINS VS. DETROIT RED WINGS - Page 9 Vote_rcap2 0% [ 0 ]
2009 STANLEY CUP PLAYOFFS: PITTSBURGH PENGUINS VS. DETROIT RED WINGS - Page 9 Vote_lcap27%2009 STANLEY CUP PLAYOFFS: PITTSBURGH PENGUINS VS. DETROIT RED WINGS - Page 9 Vote_rcap2 7% [ 1 ]
2009 STANLEY CUP PLAYOFFS: PITTSBURGH PENGUINS VS. DETROIT RED WINGS - Page 9 Vote_lcap229%2009 STANLEY CUP PLAYOFFS: PITTSBURGH PENGUINS VS. DETROIT RED WINGS - Page 9 Vote_rcap2 29% [ 4 ]
2009 STANLEY CUP PLAYOFFS: PITTSBURGH PENGUINS VS. DETROIT RED WINGS - Page 9 Vote_lcap214%2009 STANLEY CUP PLAYOFFS: PITTSBURGH PENGUINS VS. DETROIT RED WINGS - Page 9 Vote_rcap2 14% [ 2 ]
2009 STANLEY CUP PLAYOFFS: PITTSBURGH PENGUINS VS. DETROIT RED WINGS - Page 9 Vote_lcap20%2009 STANLEY CUP PLAYOFFS: PITTSBURGH PENGUINS VS. DETROIT RED WINGS - Page 9 Vote_rcap2 0% [ 0 ]
2009 STANLEY CUP PLAYOFFS: PITTSBURGH PENGUINS VS. DETROIT RED WINGS - Page 9 Vote_lcap243%2009 STANLEY CUP PLAYOFFS: PITTSBURGH PENGUINS VS. DETROIT RED WINGS - Page 9 Vote_rcap2 43% [ 6 ]
2009 STANLEY CUP PLAYOFFS: PITTSBURGH PENGUINS VS. DETROIT RED WINGS - Page 9 Vote_lcap27%2009 STANLEY CUP PLAYOFFS: PITTSBURGH PENGUINS VS. DETROIT RED WINGS - Page 9 Vote_rcap2 7% [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 14

Poll closed

Go down  Message [Page 9 of 11]

davetherave

All-Star
All-Star

This is really good...enjoy the video!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dw2OH8HRnRo&feature=player_embedded

Last edited by davetherave on Mon Jun 08, 2009 5:59 pm; edited 1 time in total

Riprock

All-Star
All-Star

If I remember correctly though, they normally have all games listed, with those after gm 4 as "If Neccessary". To not have it at all seems weird.

shabbs

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

davetherave wrote:This is really good...enjoy the video!

What video?

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Dash wrote:If I remember correctly though, they normally have all games listed, with those after gm 4 as "If Neccessary". To not have it at all seems weird.
If I look at the NBC listing on my Rogers guide, it shows TBA for 8:00pm ET on Friday. So, who knows.

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

From local Wings columnist Ansar Khan:

Red Wings' Chris Chelios still wants to play

Ansar Khan, MLive.com, June 09, 2009

DETROIT -- While Chris Chelios' career as a Detroit Red Wing is nearing an end -- the club isn't expected to re-sign him -- he continues to maintain his desire to play somewhere next season.

"Whether I do or not is another question," Chelios said.

The 47-year-old defenseman hasn't played since the last two games against Chicago in the previous round.

"This is one of the greatest teams I've been associated with, the skill level and a great group of guys. It's been a fun ride," Chelios said. "Obviously, you want to play, but I completely understand it. We're where we want to be, and I'm where I want to be."

If the Red Wings win the Stanley Cup, they would need to petition the NHL to have Chelios' name engraved on it because he didn't play in 40 regular-season games (he played in 28) and hasn't appeared in at least one game of the finals.

"If we win it, I'm not too worried about it," Chelios said. "My name is already on the Cup (three times)."

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

2009 STANLEY CUP PLAYOFFS: PITTSBURGH PENGUINS VS. DETROIT RED WINGS - Page 9 DetDetroit 1, 2009 STANLEY CUP PLAYOFFS: PITTSBURGH PENGUINS VS. DETROIT RED WINGS - Page 9 PitPittsburgh 2

GAME SIX, 2009 STANLEY CUP FINALS
SERIES TIED 3-3

123T
DET0011
PIT0112

Final

8:00 PM ET, June 9, 2009, Mellon Arena, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

Fleury outdoes Osgood as Pens survive furious finish to push Cup finals to 7

PITTSBURGH (AP/ESPN)-- No clincher by the Detroit Red Wings in Pittsburgh, not this time in Game 6. Marc-Andre Fleury wouldn't let it happen as a wildly unpredictable Stanley Cup finals is now going the distance.

Fast Facts

2009 STANLEY CUP PLAYOFFS: PITTSBURGH PENGUINS VS. DETROIT RED WINGS - Page 9 Pit 2009 STANLEY CUP PLAYOFFS: PITTSBURGH PENGUINS VS. DETROIT RED WINGS - Page 9 Det
• Tuesday was the first time the teams played a scoreless first period in the finals since last year's Game 1 in Detroit.
• The home team has won all six games in the series. It's only the fifth time in NHL history the home team has won the first six games of the Cup finals (first since 2003 Ducks).
• Each of the last six Game 7s in the Stanley Cup final have been won by the home team. The last road team to win a Game 7 in the Cup finals was the 1971 Montreal Canadiens in a 3-2 win over the Blackhawks. That series saw the home team win the first six games of the series.
• Marc-Andre Fleury is now 5-0 after allowing four goals in thre previous game this postseason.
• The Red Wings had 12 shots in the first two periods combined and then had 14 in the third period.
-- ESPN Stats & Information

Third-line teammates Jordan Staal and Tyler Kennedy gave the Penguins a two-goal lead, and Marc-Andre Fleury held off the defending champion Red Wings repeatedly during a frantic third period as Pittsburgh beat Detroit 2-1 on Tuesday night to tie the finals at three games.

Game 7 is Friday night in Joe Louis Arena, where Detroit is 3-0 in the series but, as the oldest of NHL playoff adages goes, anything can happen when a single game determines who raises a silver trophy.

Fleury, yanked during Detroit's 5-0 blowout in Game 5, regrouped to make 25 saves and hold off the Red Wings, who are trying for their fifth Stanley Cup since 1997 but, if they win it, will do so without winning in Pittsburgh.

The Red Wings won the Cup by taking Game 6 in Pittsburgh 3-2 last year but were denied a second successive Cup clincher there, and on the 25th anniversary of one of the biggest days in Penguins' history: the drafting of Hall of Famer Mario Lemieux in 1984.

2009 STANLEY CUP PLAYOFFS: PITTSBURGH PENGUINS VS. DETROIT RED WINGS - Page 9 Stanley_cup09

The Red Wings pushed around and punished Pittsburgh while winning 5-0 in Game 5, a loss that not only embarrassed the Penguins but put them on the brink of elimination.

But there's been no place like home in these finals, the first since New Jersey beat Anaheim in 2002 in which the home team has won every game. The Penguins took advantage of the two-day break to regroup and, perhaps, to remember the frustration they felt in watching Detroit carry the Stanley Cup around Mellon Arena last June -- the first team to do so since Pittsburgh gained an expansion franchise in 1967.

Staal broke a scoreless tie that followed a Pittsburgh-dominated first period by scoring in the first minute of the second period and Kennedy made it 2-0 early in the third.

After that, it was all Detroit as Kris Draper scored and the Red Wings, desperately trying to avoid a Game 7, kept pressing for the tying goal but couldn't get it despite being on the power play twice.

Penguins captain Sidney Crosby taped an NHL commercial last summer in which he watched the Red Wings celebrate wildly, then vows that it won't happen again. In nearly identical circumstances, it didn't as the Penguins forced the first Stanley Cup finals Game 7 in their 42-year history.

The Penguins were helped along by a standing room crowd of 17,132 -- the 118th consecutive sellout in the NHL's oldest building -- that chanted Fleury's name at the start in an effort to support him after he was yanked in the second period Saturday.

Staal's goal was the key, just as his short-handed goal in Game 4 that started the Penguins on a three-goal flurry in less than six minutes and a 4-2 victory.

Staal broke in with Kennedy on a 2-on-1 break after Pittsburgh gained possession in the neutral zone. Staal's initial shot deflected off goalie Chris Osgood's chest, but Staal gathered the rebound near the right post and pushed it in only 51 seconds into the second.

Detroit, outshot 15-4 at the start, finally began generating some offensive momentum by early in the third and kept pressing for the tying goal, only to have Kennedy -- a third-line forward who has scored in each of Pittsburgh's last two home games -- make it 2-0 at 5:35.

Ruslan Fedotenko and Max Talbot pressured to keep the puck in the Detroit zone, allowing Kennedy to gather it behind the net and carry it in front. Osgood stopped his initial shot but Kennedy pushed in the rebound.

A two-goal lead with Pittsburgh playing with discipline and determination looked big, but the Red Wings sliced it to 2-1 when an undefended Draper -- one of four players who has been on all four of Detroit's Stanley Cup winners since 1997 -- grabbed Jonathan Ericsson's rebound in the left circle and put it past Fleury 2 1/2 minutes after Kennedy scored.

The Red Wings, who couldn't draw a penalty for nearly 2 1/2 periods, had their only two power plays after that. Their best chance came when Fleury left the puck in the crease, but defenseman Rob Scuderi alertly whacked it away, and Fleury made a big save on Dan Cleary with 1:41 remaining.

One play -- and one missed opportunity -- illustrated the difference between last year's Game 6 and this one for Detroit. Late in the second, Henrik Zetterberg faked going to his backhand and instead put a forehand under defenseman Hal Gill that struck the left post and lay in the crease.

Last year, on a similar shot by Zetterberg, Fleury sat on the puck and accidentally pushed it into the net for the game-winner in Detroit's 3-2 victory. This time, Fleury calmly covered up the puck.

Because he did, the Penguins forced a Game 7 in Detroit, where they have been outscored 11-2 while losing three times in this series but where the Red Wings now must preserve their home-ice advantage to raise the Stanley Cup for a fifth time in 12 seasons.

Game notes
Since 1997, when it won the first of its four Stanley Cups over the last dozen seasons, Detroit is 4-2 in elimination games, losing only to Pittsburgh in Game 5 last year and on Tuesday. ... Penguins F Petr Sykora, who had 25 goals during the season, was in the lineup for the first time since May 4, or Game 2 of the second round against Washington. ... Teams down 3-2 while hosting Game 6 have won 10 times in 24 tries), and only two have won the Stanley Cup -- Detroit (1950) and Montreal (1971). ... Pittsburgh is 10-0 when leading after two periods. ... Detroit is 4-6 on the road.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

This one goes 7... the way it should be. This is awesome.

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

shabbs wrote:This one goes 7... the way it should be. This is awesome.

Make it OT and it can't get any better. Smile

- Unknown Author

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Cap'n Clutch wrote:
shabbs wrote:This one goes 7... the way it should be. This is awesome.

Make it OT and it can't get any better. Smile

I doubt this one goes to OT. I'm not saying it will be a laugher, but I think Detroit wins pulling away. I won't say it, at least not the word, but maybe another one for Osgood -- and I don't mean another ring, although the shape is the same.

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

All things point to a Wings win. The Stats overall and just the way the Wings have dominated on Home ice this series.

I'm not ready to concede a Wings victory just yet though.

- Unknown Author

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

A Game 7 going to OT would be so so sweet... my money is on the Wings winning this one... hopefully it's an end to end exciting game.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

shabbs wrote:A Game 7 going to OT would be so so sweet... my money is on the Wings winning this one... hopefully it's an end to end exciting game.

Actual money or are you just using that as an expression?

Hockeyhero22000

Hockeyhero22000
Veteran
Veteran

sykora looks to be out next game since he was seen leaving on crutches last night

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Hockeyhero22000 wrote:sykora looks to be out next game since he was seen leaving on crutches last night

No great loss. Between him and Satan, meh.

Hockeyhero22000

Hockeyhero22000
Veteran
Veteran

i would rather sykora he is more of a team player than satan

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

wprager wrote:
shabbs wrote:A Game 7 going to OT would be so so sweet... my money is on the Wings winning this one... hopefully it's an end to end exciting game.

Actual money or are you just using that as an expression?
Just an expression...

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

The inimitable Stan 'The Maven' Fischler gives us his witty window on the series and its impending finale...

Detroit--Pittsburgh; No Shot, No Prize!

Stan Fischler, MaxHockey.com, June 10, 2009

The Detroit Red Wings opened the Cracker Jacks box but there was no prize in it.
Now what do they do?

Try another box.

There will be one left at Joe Louis Arena on Friday night.

That's the good news for the men from Motor City.

The bad news is that the same prize is readily available for the Pittsburgh Penguins, the only club that showed up on Tuesday night at The Igloo.

And since the visitors from Michigan had this novel idea that they could win by NOT shooting, the Goonybirds tied the Finals at three, 2-1.

For that, the Penguins can thank rebounding goalie -- remember, he got yanked in Game Five -- Marc-Andre Fleury and his Long Island-born defenseman Rob Scuderi who for one heart-throbbing moment played back-up goalie.

Leading by one, late in the third, Fleury foiled Dan Cleary's breakaway backhander to preserve the lead.

Then, after Detroit pulled goalie Chris Osgood for an extra skater, Fleury was out of position on the left when it appeared the Wings would put the biscuit in the open net.

Uh, uh!

Scuderi, who outplayed every single Detroit defenseman, astonishingly, made three leg saves until his netminder returned home while about ten other players joining the melee.

In terms of overall play, Mike Babc0ck's sextet had no business being so close, so late in the game.

Osgood singlehandedly kept his club alive over three periods while his teammates nonchalantly comported themselves as if this was the second game of the regular season being played somewhere in a meadow between Bosnia and Herzigovina.

Did someone not tell them that THE Stanley Cup was sitting in a large, wooden box right next to the Detroit dressing room? Judging by their indolence, the Detroiters must have figured that a lawn mower was inside.

Meanwhile, the Penguins do what they do best at home -- win.

It was a product of hustle, hitting and, yeah, even shooting; something Jordan Staal did very well at the start of the second period when he beat a totally embattled Osgood 51 seconds into the frame.

The goal hardly was an aberration. Nor was Tyler Kennedy's at 5:35 of the third when he, Slapsy Maxie Talbot and Ruslan (Don't Call Me Fat Boy) Fedotenko took command behind the Detroit goal. Kennedy moved it out front and capitalized on Osgood's one bad move of the game.

Unnecessarily down on the ice, Osgood was helpless as the Penguin easily lifted the shot over him.

Kris Draper eventually put Detroit on the board to make it 2-1 whereupon the Red Wings demonstrated that their heads were in Lapland.

Two straight power plays were exercises in bad judgement, lousy shots and an abject lesson in blowing a chance for the Stanley Cup.

For the defending champs, the scary part is that neither Sidney (Oh That Awful Moustache) Crosby nor Evgeni (I Invented The Crosscheck From Behind) Malkin scored -- although each of them contributed significant defensive gems.

Then there's the pitiful case of Marian Hossa, wherever he may be. (Could be vacationing in Club Med for all we know.)

Remember him. He deserted Pittsburgh for a better chance at Cup-winning in Detroit.

Right now Hossa epitomizes the schizophrenic hockey player. He's wearing a Red Wings jersey but he's so bad that he appears to be playing for the Penguins. (Take your pick because Babc0ck doesn't know.)

While, The Maven is at it, let me remind you that since I started predicting the winners in this series, I'm now four-for-four.

And, yes, before the series started, I did forecast a seven-game final with the Champs prevailing.

Based on Game Six, the only thing the Red Wings will win is the booby prize, plus one other item.

They'll win a goose egg if they continue their Game Six policy of train-watching. All night long, they'd Stop, Look and Listen as the Goonybirds whizzed by while
Osgood looked like a beleaguered station-master.

Babc0ck hardly played the genius but he's got one more chance to regain that title.

Anyone for the Cracker Jacks prize?

Anyone for The Stanley Cup?

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

I may have missed this being posted already, but Sykora is out with a broken foot. Not a big loss, but a loss none-the-less. Satan sat out Game Six, I wonder if Bylsma plays a hunch that he will "rebound" with a good effort?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 9 of 11]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum