GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

PC or Mac - which to choose

+7
The Silfer Server
wprager
shabbs
caissie_1
davetherave
SeawaySensFan
Phoenix30
11 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 3]

1PC or Mac - which to choose Empty PC or Mac - which to choose Fri May 08, 2009 1:56 pm

Phoenix30

Phoenix30
Veteran
Veteran

Ok so its not hockey related but I am trying to get some insight.

My computer is toasted and I am now looking at getting my 1st laptop but I dont know if I should go PC or Macbook.

Thoughts or suggestions as I've had minimal success on learning more when I go to Best Buy or Futureshop. I seem to get staff who dont know what the heck they are selling because they always have to go ask questions themselves.

2PC or Mac - which to choose Empty Re: PC or Mac - which to choose Fri May 08, 2009 2:00 pm

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

The Mac is represented by a laid-back, hip, tolerant and all-around cool dude. The PC is represented by a portly, nerdy, bespectacled and somewhat inept fellow.

That's all you need to know.

3PC or Mac - which to choose Empty Re: PC or Mac - which to choose Fri May 08, 2009 2:06 pm

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

SeawaySensFan wrote:The Mac is represented by a laid-back, hip, tolerant and all-around cool dude. The PC is represented by a portly, nerdy, bespectacled and somewhat inept fellow.

That's all you need to know.

Just goes to prove that advertising has NOTHING to do with reality.

4PC or Mac - which to choose Empty Re: PC or Mac - which to choose Fri May 08, 2009 2:47 pm

caissie_1

caissie_1
Veteran
Veteran

I have a Mac and I love it... I would never go back to Pc but alot of my friends dont like the Mac... It take's some getting use to. By the way if your a gamer do not get a Mac.

5PC or Mac - which to choose Empty Re: PC or Mac - which to choose Fri May 08, 2009 2:52 pm

Phoenix30

Phoenix30
Veteran
Veteran

caissie_1 wrote:I have a Mac and I love it... I would never go back to Pc but alot of my friends dont like the Mac... It take's some getting use to. By the way if your a gamer do not get a Mac.

thanks, not really looking at doing any really high end games other than cards etc. More of a looking for something that I can use for multi-media, photos, download movies, music etc, watch movies and of course word processing.

6PC or Mac - which to choose Empty Re: PC or Mac - which to choose Fri May 08, 2009 3:08 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Phoenix30 wrote:
caissie_1 wrote:I have a Mac and I love it... I would never go back to Pc but alot of my friends dont like the Mac... It take's some getting use to. By the way if your a gamer do not get a Mac.

thanks, not really looking at doing any really high end games other than cards etc. More of a looking for something that I can use for multi-media, photos, download movies, music etc, watch movies and of course word processing.
That's got Mac written all over it.

7PC or Mac - which to choose Empty Re: PC or Mac - which to choose Fri May 08, 2009 3:08 pm

caissie_1

caissie_1
Veteran
Veteran

Well the Mac can do all of the things you listed and it's in a very nice and well formated way. I would recommend you go to your local Future Shop and try one out.

8PC or Mac - which to choose Empty Re: PC or Mac - which to choose Fri May 08, 2009 3:16 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

If you can, go to an Apple Store and talk to them about the various notebooks and the software that comes with it.

Unfortunately, there's only two Apple Stores in Alberta - Calgary and Edmonton.

See here: http://www.apple.com/ca/retail/

9PC or Mac - which to choose Empty Re: PC or Mac - which to choose Fri May 08, 2009 3:21 pm

Phoenix30 wrote:

Macs destroy PCs for anything having to do with multimedia. The vast majority (if not all) designers use macs for their stability. I personally have a Mac because it is much more useful for my line of work. Most programs can be found for both platforms and you can always partition your drive to install windows if you need any Autodesk products that are unavailable for Mac.<-- if you dont know what this is then you probably do not need to partition your drive and install windows.

That being said, it really comes down to a cost benefit analysis. With amac, you will VERY rarely run into issues where the actual operating system crashes or slows down (in the past, there was something called "the wheel of death" but it is not an issue anymore). So you wont getany of the "blue" screens that you may be used to getting with a PC. Ifyou get an issue with your mac it will probably be that it physicallyfalls apart <--not likely. However, Macs are more expensive and for the price of a Macbook (1200) you could buy a pretty decent laptop(400) once every three years for a total of 9 years. Thus:

Macbook (1200) = 4-5 years worth of computing
Decent laptop (400)x3 times = 9 years worth of computing.

Last edited by Blazer on Fri May 08, 2009 3:31 pm; edited 1 time in total

10PC or Mac - which to choose Empty Re: PC or Mac - which to choose Fri May 08, 2009 3:29 pm

shabbs wrote:If you can, go to an Apple Store and talk to them about the various notebooks and the software that comes with it.

Thats because there a many apple "licensed" dealers. I know of at least three that are not big box retail stores: Mcloed close to Stampede, Centre St N between 16th and the bridge to Chinatown, and the University.

Btw, I always recommend against buying a computer at Futureshop or Bestbuy if you dont know what you want/are doing. NEVER buy the extended warranties from those stores (you always get a warranty from the manufacturer for "free" and they generally pay for shipping and handling; and in most cases they just replace the items) !!!

11PC or Mac - which to choose Empty Re: PC or Mac - which to choose Fri May 08, 2009 3:38 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Blazer wrote:
shabbs wrote:If you can, go to an Apple Store and talk to them about the various notebooks and the software that comes with it.

Thats because there a many apple "licensed" dealers. I know of at least three that are not big box retail stores: Mcloed close to Stampede, Centre St N between 16th and the bridge to Chinatown, and the University.

Btw, I always recommend against buying a computer at Futureshop or Bestbuy if you dont know what you want/are doing. NEVER buy the extended warranties from those stores (you always get a warranty from the manufacturer for "free" and they generally pay for shipping and handling; and in most cases they just replace the items) !!!
Do those licensed stores offer the same type of service and knowledge that the Apple Retail Stores do? Like migrating your data from PC to Mac etc...

12PC or Mac - which to choose Empty Re: PC or Mac - which to choose Fri May 08, 2009 3:40 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

I haven't had the BSOD in years. Are you still running Windows 95 or something? Or are you using Outlook for e-mail and IE for browsing?

13PC or Mac - which to choose Empty Re: PC or Mac - which to choose Fri May 08, 2009 3:42 pm

The Silfer Server

The Silfer Server
Veteran
Veteran

One important thing to think about is not generalizing 'PC' into one category. That is a figment of Apple's marketing department.

Personally, I would avoid Dells. When I was in rez, friends of mine all seemed to have hardware problems with their Dell computers. They provide you with control over the creation of your laptop, but I would advise against it. My parents have a Dell desktop, and over xmas, their harddrive broke on it, thankfully since they are owners of a small business, they have a couple of laptops in which they also store files on.

My University roommate had a Toshiba laptop for about 4 years and is a big fan of it. He recently bought a second one. My parents too have a Toshiba laptop which they tend to use quite often, and travel with. But because of its size, 17 inch screen, they have recently bought a HP netbook.

Me, I'm a Lenovo man. My desktop is Lenovo, and have had no problems with it. I have had it for about a year and a half. My father also has a Lenovo laptop for work, although I plan on buying it from him, as he has too many computers already.

But someone you should talk to is Shabbs. He seems to be extremely tech savvy. I'm not sure if he works in the industry, considering his knowledge base I would not be surprised. He just bought a Lenovo laptop, top of the line, drool worthy. He also managed to get some deals on it, so he didn't even pay nealry as much as the actual price. I would definitely suggest, if you are interested, in PM'ing him.

EDIT: sorry i started the message at 3 ish, and finished it at 3:45 ish, cause my dad called and needed me to go pick him up.

14PC or Mac - which to choose Empty Re: PC or Mac - which to choose Fri May 08, 2009 4:26 pm

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

The whole Mac-PC kerfuffle is marketing BS.

It really depends why you need a laptop and what you use it for.

In the publishing and media world, for example, it's not uncommon to employ both platforms, interfacing them for appropriate tasks.

Graphic designers and motion picture people like the Mac because that operating system seems to have been developed with those functionalities in mind.

The PC operating system has become the standard for the majority of commercial businesses, partly because the document/memo aspect of corporate communications have migrated to the PC.

I've used both.

For me, it has always been a question of compatibility with my professional environment (being media and corporate consulting), so PC has been my platform of choice.

While IBM (now Lenovo), Compaq, HP, Toshiba and Dell were the predominant names for years (with Sony Vaio making major inroads in the last ten years), the Korean firms like Acer are now making a very competitive product.

After using Compaq, IBM, and Toshiba laptops over the past fifteen years, I purchased an Acer Aspire (based on a recommendation) which has proven so far to be an excellent decision.

But there is so much to select from, so you really have an unprecedented ability to pick the laptop that fits you best...and that makes you happy.

I suggest you consult CNET.com among other sites that can provide you with extensive product information; and some even offer you the ability to ask their experts what might be the right choice for you.

Have fun! Smile

15PC or Mac - which to choose Empty Re: PC or Mac - which to choose Fri May 08, 2009 5:05 pm

shabbs wrote:
Blazer wrote:

Do those licensed stores offer the same type of service and knowledge that the Apple Retail Stores do? Like migrating your data from PC to Mac etc...

Most of them do. But when in doubt just head to the Apple store close to stampede grounds.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum