GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

If you could choose...

+2
PTFlea
Cap'n Clutch
6 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1If you could choose... Empty If you could choose... Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:01 pm

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

If you could choose one player to build around would it be an AllStar forward of Gretzky like abilities or an AllStar D man of Bobby Orr abilities?

- Unknown Author

2If you could choose... Empty Re: If you could choose... Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:08 pm

none of the above.

I'd choose a Goalie

3If you could choose... Empty Re: If you could choose... Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:15 pm

D man without question. You just dont win without a stud D man. Aside from Carolina, I struggle to think of any team that didnt have a D men who were all stars and studs.

Defensmen still win championships. Goaltenders and forwards are secondary. Fuhr, Osgoode, Vernon, even Brodure to a certain point are all products of a system and team defense. Roy is the exception to that rule, he is the best of all time, even if his number are not, he is.

Forwards are secondary to defense without question. An average forward can look great with a strong defense who gets the puck, moves the puck, and attacks.

Hockey, is, was, and always will be a game where your defense makes or breaks your team.

4If you could choose... Empty Re: If you could choose... Mon Jan 26, 2009 2:11 pm

All I have to say is Detroit.

Regardless of how good their Forwards are or their Goalies (who are average at best) they are always a top team because of Lidstrom.

5If you could choose... Empty Re: If you could choose... Mon Jan 26, 2009 2:16 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

D-man or goaltender.

6If you could choose... Empty Re: If you could choose... Mon Jan 26, 2009 2:42 pm

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

#1 Goaltender

7If you could choose... Empty Re: If you could choose... Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:06 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I can't help saying that Boumeester looked awesome in the ASG and I want him again. Smile

8If you could choose... Empty Re: If you could choose... Mon Jan 26, 2009 5:27 pm

Hockeyhero22000

Hockeyhero22000
Veteran
Veteran

I know you guys say d man but i would go with a power forward Washington started rebuilding with ovechkin then worked up from there yes they havent won a stanley cup but they are becoming a powerhouse starting from the forwards back

9If you could choose... Empty Re: If you could choose... Mon Jan 26, 2009 5:30 pm

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

IMHO in today's NHL a superb goaltender is the foundation. Look what the Habs have done with Price and the Jackets with Steve Mason...

Though, historically, an exceptional player, no matter what the position, can transform a franchise.

So there are good arguments for both.

10If you could choose... Empty Re: If you could choose... Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:09 pm

Hockeyhero22000 wrote:I know you guys say d man but i would go with a power forward Washington started rebuilding with ovechkin then worked up from there yes they havent won a stanley cup but they are becoming a powerhouse starting from the forwards back

Washngston was still garbage until Green started to be the player he is now. Thats when things turned for that franchise.

11If you could choose... Empty Re: If you could choose... Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:17 pm

I'll go with the stud D-man. Considering the Sens struggles this year, it really goes to show what a difference a stud D-man makes. Granted you could make the same arguement for a goaltender as well.

12If you could choose... Empty Re: If you could choose... Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:19 pm

504Heater wrote:I can't help saying that Boumeester looked awesome in the ASG and I want him again. Smile

I'd take him for sure, but I think it's hard not to look good at the ASG (unless you are a goaltender). :lol!:

13If you could choose... Empty Re: If you could choose... Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:53 pm

Acrobat

Acrobat
Veteran
Veteran

On the whole, 12 goals at an ASG isn't a bad showing...

I'd vote for D, then G, then F.
The D is the anchor - all the justification has already been made above.

14If you could choose... Empty Re: If you could choose... Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:12 am

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

Goaltending wins Stanley Cups.

The evidence in this decade:

Detroit, 2008, Osgood's phenomenal series stymies his critics.
Anaheim, 2007. Jiggy gets Jiggy with it.
Carolina, 2006. Cam Ward plays out of his mind.
Tampa, 2004. The Bulin Wall.
New Jersey, 2003. Marty! Marty! Marty!
Detroit, 2002. The Dominator.
Colorado, 2001. Patrick, King of Goalies.
New Jersey, 2000. Marty! Marty! Marty!

:pirat:

15If you could choose... Empty Re: If you could choose... Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:39 am

davetherave wrote:Goaltending wins Stanley Cups.

The evidence in this decade:

Detroit, 2008, Osgood's phenomenal series stymies his critics.
Anaheim, 2007. Jiggy gets Jiggy with it.
Carolina, 2006. Cam Ward plays out of his mind.
Tampa, 2004. The Bulin Wall.
New Jersey, 2003. Marty! Marty! Marty!
Detroit, 2002. The Dominator. Rat Bastard who shall not be named
Colorado, 2001. Patrick, King of Goalies.
New Jersey, 2000. Marty! Marty! Marty!

:pirat:

I fixed this for you. We don't mention him by name. Crying

All those teams, except Carolina had stud D-men. In most cases, 2 of them.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum