GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Balsillie's offer for the Coyotes

+11
SensFan71
Cap'n Clutch
dennycrane
Cronie
davetherave
PTFlea
wprager
shabbs
Riprock
Flo The Action
Hockeyhero22000
15 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8 ... 14  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 14]

16Balsillie's offer for the Coyotes - Page 2 Empty Re: Balsillie's offer for the Coyotes Tue May 05, 2009 8:48 pm

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Dispersal draft? Sarcasm

17Balsillie's offer for the Coyotes - Page 2 Empty Re: Balsillie's offer for the Coyotes Tue May 05, 2009 8:50 pm

davetherave

All-Star
All-Star

shabbs wrote:From: http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5hFMSuYC_uYyvNqWpHFizbWF2FoRQD980D1E80

TORONTO (AP) — BlackBerry boss Jim Balsillie is looking to buy the financially ailing Phoenix Coyotes and move them to Ontario.The co-CEO of BlackBerry maker Research In Motion says his $212.5 million offer is conditional on the Coyotes relocating to Canada, where they existed as the Winnipeg Jets before moving to Phoenix for the 1996-07 season."The current team ownership asked that I table an offer to purchase the Coyotes and significant discussions resulted in an offer that is in the best interests of the franchise, the NHL, and the great hockey fans of Canada and Southern Ontario," Balsillie said Tuesday in a statement.Balsillie had made previous failed attempt to purchase the Nashville Coyotes and Pittsburgh Penguins with the hope of moving them to Hamilton, Ontario.

VERY interesting.

18Balsillie's offer for the Coyotes - Page 2 Empty Re: Balsillie's offer for the Coyotes Tue May 05, 2009 9:02 pm

davetherave

All-Star
All-Star

The Balsillie offer was being discussed by the SCP broadcast panel on RDS tonight...and their view was that JimBals is getting it bassackwards.

Balsy is waving his cash publicly in the hopes of 'intimidating' the league into letting him into the club.

Like it or not, the NHL doesn't do business that way.

The panel also pointed out that Balsy basically blew his opportunity to buy into the Predators a while back, whereby he could have very logically ended up with a majority stake...to then move it as he wished.

But Jimmy would rather make headlines, it seems, than take the steps required to buy a team.

And, as expected, the 'Lynch Gary Bettman' voices are heard.

IMHO Balsillie should check his ego at the door and do things right.

19Balsillie's offer for the Coyotes - Page 2 Empty Re: Balsillie's offer for the Coyotes Tue May 05, 2009 9:03 pm

Bettman will add more expansion teams in California before he lets Canada have another team..

20Balsillie's offer for the Coyotes - Page 2 Empty Re: Balsillie's offer for the Coyotes Tue May 05, 2009 9:03 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Blazer wrote:Bettman will add more expansion teams in California before he lets Canada have another team..

Nevada first apparently.

21Balsillie's offer for the Coyotes - Page 2 Empty Re: Balsillie's offer for the Coyotes Tue May 05, 2009 9:04 pm

I think its actually personal between Mr. BB and the dwarf. Personally, I like how bad he makes Bettman look, anything to take that little midget down a peg or two.

22Balsillie's offer for the Coyotes - Page 2 Empty Re: Balsillie's offer for the Coyotes Tue May 05, 2009 9:05 pm

Cronie

Cronie
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Neely4Life wrote:I think its actually personal between Mr. BB and the dwarf. Personally, I like how bad he makes Bettman look, anything to take that little midget down a peg or two.

Could not have said it better myself Neely.

I'll be curious to see how this all pans out.

23Balsillie's offer for the Coyotes - Page 2 Empty Re: Balsillie's offer for the Coyotes Tue May 05, 2009 9:10 pm

Hockeyhero22000

Hockeyhero22000
Veteran
Veteran

basilles offer wont really help because he needs the approval of the league to move a team so him bailing out the team as long as it moves seems more likely to not happen

24Balsillie's offer for the Coyotes - Page 2 Empty Re: Balsillie's offer for the Coyotes Tue May 05, 2009 9:11 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

I'd be curious to see what all the other owners think of Balsillie and how he's gone about all this.

I do agree, he has approached this the wrong way, publicly stating that he wants to move the club, selling tickets ahead of even acquiring a franchise etc.... it's not how the NHL Brass do their work.

But in the end, you can't deny that he's got the money and wants an NHL team badly.

25Balsillie's offer for the Coyotes - Page 2 Empty Re: Balsillie's offer for the Coyotes Tue May 05, 2009 9:12 pm

Hockeyhero22000

Hockeyhero22000
Veteran
Veteran

shabbs wrote:
Hockeyhero22000 wrote:but it makes sense to move the team the are not making any money they would rival toronto get tons of fans therefore increase their revenues if bettman doesnt let this happen he is a dumbest person ever
Bettman doesn't see revenue an issue, league wide everything is "OK". Individual clubs are suffering, but he looks at it league-wide, and it's all good.

thats definately a bad way to look at it if everything is ok why not help relocate those few struggling clubs to make them good and no longer suffering then everything will get better ...bettman has shown not to care about individual teams though as you say he just looks at the big picture

26Balsillie's offer for the Coyotes - Page 2 Empty Re: Balsillie's offer for the Coyotes Tue May 05, 2009 9:22 pm

Hockeyhero22000

Hockeyhero22000
Veteran
Veteran

shabbs wrote:He's throwing out a $17M life-line.. which actually is not very much considering they're bleeding like crazy...

EDIT: I wonder what the $17M life-line I heard was... just caught it in passing on TSN...

According to sportsnet.ca:

At the request of the Coyotes owner, Balsillie said he has also agreed
to provide US$17 million in bridge financing to allow the franchise to
keep going in advance of the sale.

i am not sure if that helps any but it was all i could find

27Balsillie's offer for the Coyotes - Page 2 Empty Re: Balsillie's offer for the Coyotes Tue May 05, 2009 10:10 pm

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

just saw the nutty proffesor(basillie) with his conference on TSN, man that guy can hardly stand still. i hope he gets his team and i like the way he's going about it. the league could use more eccentrics like him. if anything it's a nice firm slap :fight: in bettman's face.

28Balsillie's offer for the Coyotes - Page 2 Empty Re: Balsillie's offer for the Coyotes Tue May 05, 2009 10:30 pm

Hockeyhero22000

Hockeyhero22000
Veteran
Veteran

Flo The Action wrote:just saw the nutty proffesor(basillie) with his conference on TSN, man that guy can hardly stand still. i hope he gets his team and i like the way he's going about it. the league could use more eccentrics like him. if anything it's a nice firm slap :fight: in bettman's face.

As long as he isnt as bad as melnyk then he should be fine

29Balsillie's offer for the Coyotes - Page 2 Empty Re: Balsillie's offer for the Coyotes Tue May 05, 2009 10:39 pm

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

Flo The Action wrote:just saw the nutty proffesor(basillie) with his conference on TSN, man that guy can hardly stand still. i hope he gets his team and i like the way he's going about it. the league could use more eccentrics like him. if anything it's a nice firm slap :fight: in bettman's face.

You mean like Koules and Barrie?

30Balsillie's offer for the Coyotes - Page 2 Empty Re: Balsillie's offer for the Coyotes Tue May 05, 2009 10:44 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Has anyone seen the website that has been setup?

http://www.makeitseven.ca/

Heh heh.

31Balsillie's offer for the Coyotes - Page 2 Empty Re: Balsillie's offer for the Coyotes Tue May 05, 2009 10:48 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

More coverage from SNet...

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2009/05/05/balsillie_coyotes/

Sounds like the Coyotes owners are asking Balsillie to do this... interesting.

32Balsillie's offer for the Coyotes - Page 2 Empty Re: Balsillie's offer for the Coyotes Tue May 05, 2009 10:51 pm

Hockeyhero22000

Hockeyhero22000
Veteran
Veteran

according to the guys in cbc media center during the intermissions for someone to over bid Basille they have to go 5 mill above what he has so they would need to put up 217.5 million to a team that has lost 200 million in eight years......something like that i dont remember exactly what they said but along those lines

33Balsillie's offer for the Coyotes - Page 2 Empty Re: Balsillie's offer for the Coyotes Tue May 05, 2009 10:54 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Hockeyhero22000 wrote:according to the guys in cbc media center during the intermissions for someone to over bid Basille they have to go 5 mill above what he has so they would need to put up 217.5 million to a team that has lost 200 million in eight years......something like that i dont remember exactly what they said but along those lines
Interesting... but that was not the way it went down in Nashville if I remember it correctly. They sold it for less than Balsillie was offering to someone who would keep it local. The deal breaker was the relocation to Canada. I can see that happening here too... if someone steps up that is local.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 14]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8 ... 14  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum