GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

What's Next For Les Canadiens?

+16
caissie_1
Tuk Tuk
PKC
beedub
Jordo
wprager
shabbs
Mariposa Belle
asq2
LeCaptain
SensFan71
PTFlea
SeawaySensFan
Cronie
Cap'n Clutch
davetherave
20 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8 ... 14  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 14]

16What's Next For Les Canadiens? - Page 2 Empty Re: What's Next For Les Canadiens? Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:24 am

Cap'n Clutch

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

So New owner? New GM? New Coach. New Scouting staff? This will take another "5 year" re-building plan and who knows if it works this time.

17What's Next For Les Canadiens? - Page 2 Empty Re: What's Next For Les Canadiens? Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:18 am

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

504Heater wrote:I would like Higgins please. Release him from your evil clutches. :fighting:

I echo that sentiment :fight:

18What's Next For Les Canadiens? - Page 2 Empty Re: What's Next For Les Canadiens? Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:10 pm

davetherave

All-Star
All-Star

504Heater wrote:I would like Higgins please. Release him from your evil clutches. :fighting:

Why?

He's had 'promise' ever since he came into the league...hasn't fulfilled it.

19What's Next For Les Canadiens? - Page 2 Empty Re: What's Next For Les Canadiens? Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:12 pm

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

davetherave wrote:

Why?

Look at what happened to Ryder. Perhaps we can perform a similiar reclamation project on Higgins? Shrug

- Unknown Author

20What's Next For Les Canadiens? - Page 2 Empty Re: What's Next For Les Canadiens? Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:18 pm

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

Cap'n Clutch wrote:
davetherave wrote:

Why?

Look at what happened to Ryder. Perhaps we can perform a similiar reclamation project on Higgins? Shrug

Ryder went to play for Julien who had coached him at several levels.

Not sure what you can do with Higgy. His work habits are apparently less than exemplary.

21What's Next For Les Canadiens? - Page 2 Empty Re: What's Next For Les Canadiens? Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:19 pm

Cronie

Cronie
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I wonder if that's the norm now: A habs player flourishes once he leaves the "Je Me Souvien" province in his rear-view mirror?

but all jokes aside, I wouldn't be opposed to seeing what Higgins can do in a Sens uni under Clouston's tutelage.

22What's Next For Les Canadiens? - Page 2 Empty Re: What's Next For Les Canadiens? Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:31 pm

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

Summer of change for Habs

"There could be a new owner, GM, coach and lineup come September."

By PAT HICKEY, The Gazette April 23, 2009

The Canadiens did their part to combat global warming on Earth Day.

By losing to the Boston Bruins last night, they eliminated the need to board a gas-guzzling, carbon-emitting charter flight to Beantown for Game 5.

The Canadiens did expend a fair bit of energy but, with four regulars out of the lineup because of injuries, they were unable to match the superior talent of a Boston team that ran roughshod over the Eastern Conference during the regular season.

If the Canadiens were going to win this series, their hopes had to rest on goaltending, but Carey Price never appeared to look like the second coming of Patrick Roy or Ken Dryden.

Check that. Price did do a fair imitation of Roy when he stopped a shot by Mark Recchi from just across centre ice with a little more than four minutes remaining in the second period.

The sellout crowd greeted the stop with an ovation that dripped with sarcasm and Price responded by throwing his arms in the air.

When head coach Bob Gainey was asked why he didn't use Jaroslav Halak, who was limited to 20 minutes of perfect relief work in Game 2, he suggested it wouldn't have been fair to the Slovak because he hadn't started a game in 7-10 days and that it wouldn't have been fair to Price, who had carried the load coming into the playoffs.

In fact, Halak had been on the shelf for more than two weeks, but I'm sure he would have embraced a chance to make a difference during this series.

We'll never know whether Halak could have stemmed the tide, but the numbers suggest he couldn't have done worse than Price, who finished the four-game series with a 4.09 goals-against average and an .878 save percentage.

It would be unfair to heap all the blame on Price for last night's loss.

The Canadiens coughed up the puck in their own end and allowed breakaways and odd-man rushes. But a goaltender must be judged on the body of his work and that was found lacking.

There was one suggestion that Gainey didn't want to destroy Price's confidence, but how much confidence can he have as he heads into the summer holidays riding an eight-game losing streak stretching back to the regular season?

The summer promises to be a season of change for the Canadiens.

By the time the team gathers for training camp in September, there could well be a new owner, a new general manager, a new coach and enough new faces that the players will spend the first month of the season introducing themselves.

Price is one player who should be back. He's 21, the much-heralded goaltender of the future. But it should be obvious that his performance has regressed during the past season. Price and the Canadiens have to realize the necessity of getting his career back on track and that means taking a hard look at the way he works - on and off the ice.

The work during the next few months could determine whether Price is remembered at the end of his career as another Ken Dryden or another José Theodore.

phickey@thegazette.canwest.com

Last edited by davetherave on Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:59 pm; edited 1 time in total

23What's Next For Les Canadiens? - Page 2 Empty Re: What's Next For Les Canadiens? Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:37 pm

Crumpits and tea, that what's next lol ;0

24What's Next For Les Canadiens? - Page 2 Empty Re: What's Next For Les Canadiens? Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:12 pm

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

Cronie wrote:I wonder if that's the norm now: A habs player flourishes once he leaves the "Je Me Souvien" province in his rear-view mirror?

but all jokes aside, I wouldn't be opposed to seeing what Higgins can do in a Sens uni under Clouston's tutelage.

quite a few ?'s in the Habs organization right now, right from the top of the top with owners right down to the players that will be at training camp come the late summer, Gainey will be told to do nothing I imagine as he might not even be the one that pulls the strings come the draft on June 26.

25What's Next For Les Canadiens? - Page 2 Empty Re: What's Next For Les Canadiens? Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:44 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

With a mass exodus coming in Montreal, I wouldn't be surprised to see them re-sign Higgins for a couple of years and trade him before he hits the open market.

Unfortunately.

What is all this Komisarek to the Islanders I keep hearing everywhere. Why there?

26What's Next For Les Canadiens? - Page 2 Empty Re: What's Next For Les Canadiens? Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:46 pm

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

With Celine Dion buying the team, who knows what's coming? LOL

27What's Next For Les Canadiens? - Page 2 Empty Re: What's Next For Les Canadiens? Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:49 pm

504Heater wrote:With a mass exodus coming in Montreal, I wouldn't be surprised to see them re-sign Higgins for a couple of years and trade him before he hits the open market.

Unfortunately.

What is all this Komisarek to the Islanders I keep hearing everywhere. Why there?
Hometown boy. And an area of need as Brendan Witt is nearing the end of his contract. Also, lots of cap space.

28What's Next For Les Canadiens? - Page 2 Empty Re: What's Next For Les Canadiens? Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:51 pm

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

davetherave wrote:With Celine Dion buying the team, who knows what's coming? LOL

Tax evasion and possibly another sale to settle René's gambling debts.

29What's Next For Les Canadiens? - Page 2 Empty Re: What's Next For Les Canadiens? Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:55 pm

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

SeawaySensFan wrote:
davetherave wrote:With Celine Dion buying the team, who knows what's coming? LOL

Tax evasion and possibly another sale to settle René's gambling debts.

A disco remix of "Allez Allez" LOL

30What's Next For Les Canadiens? - Page 2 Empty Re: What's Next For Les Canadiens? Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:57 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

RobbyJ wrote:
Hometown boy. And an area of need as Brendan Witt is nearing the end of his contract. Also, lots of cap space.

Meh...2 more years of Witt for 3 million per and 1 more year of Sutton at 3 million.

Too much of one kind of D-man?

31What's Next For Les Canadiens? - Page 2 Empty Re: What's Next For Les Canadiens? Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:09 pm

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

free Celine CD's for the first 10,000 fans..Hello...Montreal Canadian ticketing....I want to cancel my season tickets. Laughing3

32What's Next For Les Canadiens? - Page 2 Empty Re: What's Next For Les Canadiens? Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:31 pm

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

Montreal in VEGAS confirmed :****:

Seriously, new owner, new GM, new coaching staff, new Captain, 14 new players... I heard from a few sources (M4) they are trying to resign the Zamboni driver but his agent said he needs the confirmation that he won't clean all the blood that Komisarek spreads all over the ice trying to intimidate Lucic again.

33What's Next For Les Canadiens? - Page 2 Empty Re: What's Next For Les Canadiens? Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:35 pm

Mass Exodus LOL

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 14]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8 ... 14  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum