GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Round One: Columbus @ Detroit

+14
SeawaySensFan
Cronie
sennies1980
dennycrane
SensFan71
Number Twenty Nine
wprager
LethalLehner
beedub
shabbs
davetherave
caissie_1
asq2
PTFlea
18 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

POLL: Round One: Columbus @ Detroit

Round One: Columbus @ Detroit - Page 5 Vote_lcap20%Round One: Columbus @ Detroit - Page 5 Vote_rcap2 0% [ 0 ]
Round One: Columbus @ Detroit - Page 5 Vote_lcap20%Round One: Columbus @ Detroit - Page 5 Vote_rcap2 0% [ 0 ]
Round One: Columbus @ Detroit - Page 5 Vote_lcap230%Round One: Columbus @ Detroit - Page 5 Vote_rcap2 30% [ 7 ]
Round One: Columbus @ Detroit - Page 5 Vote_lcap29%Round One: Columbus @ Detroit - Page 5 Vote_rcap2 9% [ 2 ]
Round One: Columbus @ Detroit - Page 5 Vote_lcap213%Round One: Columbus @ Detroit - Page 5 Vote_rcap2 13% [ 3 ]
Round One: Columbus @ Detroit - Page 5 Vote_lcap226%Round One: Columbus @ Detroit - Page 5 Vote_rcap2 26% [ 6 ]
Round One: Columbus @ Detroit - Page 5 Vote_lcap217%Round One: Columbus @ Detroit - Page 5 Vote_rcap2 17% [ 4 ]
Round One: Columbus @ Detroit - Page 5 Vote_lcap24%Round One: Columbus @ Detroit - Page 5 Vote_rcap2 4% [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 23

Go down  Message [Page 5 of 12]

61Round One: Columbus @ Detroit - Page 5 Empty Re: Round One: Columbus @ Detroit Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:23 pm

Hockeyhero22000

Veteran
Veteran

refs are setting a tone that they are not going to let anything go

62Round One: Columbus @ Detroit - Page 5 Empty Re: Round One: Columbus @ Detroit Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:37 pm

Hockeyhero22000

Veteran
Veteran

osgood has looked very sharp tonight

63Round One: Columbus @ Detroit - Page 5 Empty Re: Round One: Columbus @ Detroit Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:05 pm

davetherave

All-Star
All-Star

asq2 wrote:
Hockeyhero22000 wrote:i think this is going to come down to how the goalies do for their respective teams especially detroit osgood has not been very good

I'm not sure you can just ignore the massive difference in calibre between the two teams' skaters.

That's because the difference isn't 'massive'.
cool)

Remember how the Oilers beat the Wings in '06.

BTW Justin Williams--who now plays for the Jackets--was on the Wings team that was upended by the Oilers.

Mike Peca and Raffi Torres--who now play for the Jackets--were on the Oilers team that beat the Wings...as was Ty Conklin.

And remember NO team has won back to back Stanley Cups in ten years.

Finally, remember in hockey--especially playoff hockey--the only absolute is the score at the end of the game.

BTW the Jackets have more than gone toe-to-toe with the reigning Champions so far in this game, yes?

64Round One: Columbus @ Detroit - Page 5 Empty Re: Round One: Columbus @ Detroit Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:08 pm

Hockeyhero22000

Hockeyhero22000
Veteran
Veteran

this is a very fast moving fiesty game

65Round One: Columbus @ Detroit - Page 5 Empty Re: Round One: Columbus @ Detroit Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:21 pm

Hockeyhero22000

Hockeyhero22000
Veteran
Veteran

detroit gets one 1-0 hudler scores

66Round One: Columbus @ Detroit - Page 5 Empty Re: Round One: Columbus @ Detroit Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:23 pm

Hockeyhero22000

Hockeyhero22000
Veteran
Veteran

columbo gets it back right away 1-1 courtesy of umberger

67Round One: Columbus @ Detroit - Page 5 Empty Re: Round One: Columbus @ Detroit Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:53 pm

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

2-1.

Hudler and Filppula combine on goal #1. Two future stars for the Wings right there. Smile

68Round One: Columbus @ Detroit - Page 5 Empty Re: Round One: Columbus @ Detroit Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:53 pm

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

Whoop. 3-1.

69Round One: Columbus @ Detroit - Page 5 Empty Re: Round One: Columbus @ Detroit Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:54 pm

Hockeyhero22000

Hockeyhero22000
Veteran
Veteran

osgood has been playing stellar from what i had seen

70Round One: Columbus @ Detroit - Page 5 Empty Re: Round One: Columbus @ Detroit Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:13 pm

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

4-1.

71Round One: Columbus @ Detroit - Page 5 Empty Re: Round One: Columbus @ Detroit Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:22 pm

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

asq2 wrote:4-1.

Good job of scorekeeping...are you watching the game?

72Round One: Columbus @ Detroit - Page 5 Empty Re: Round One: Columbus @ Detroit Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:39 pm

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

A demonstration by the Red Wings of why they are the benchmark for other teams.

The two quick goals in the second period were the turning point in this one.

An excellent home win by Detroit...but no means easy. Hitch will be reminding his troops they need to be harder on the puck and not let Detroit take the game away from them. No team can compete with the Wings in terms of puck possession.

Chris Osgood appears to be back on his game again.

73Round One: Columbus @ Detroit - Page 5 Empty Re: Round One: Columbus @ Detroit Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:54 pm

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

davetherave wrote:

No TSN2. Crying

So I watched the first half, but the online streaming didn't work too well.

74Round One: Columbus @ Detroit - Page 5 Empty Re: Round One: Columbus @ Detroit Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:23 pm

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

asq2 wrote:
davetherave wrote:

No TSN2. Crying

So I watched the first half, but the online streaming didn't work too well.

Yeah, the online streams were really crappy...

I had to keep switching over to catch the TSN2 feed when the online stream went down.

One of the keys was Osgood's four saves vs. Nash.

Great start to this series...

PS I wasn't trying to push back on you for taking the position that the Wings are a truly elite team...just making the point that differences between teams--especially in the playoffs--are very close indeed.

Antoine Vermette did an excellent interview on Team 1200 the other day and he remarked one of the things that surprised him was how many really good players the Jackets have that most people never hear of, much less talk about. He mentioned Chimera, Umberger, Voracek, Torres and Modin.

So basically, what I am saying is that the Red Wings win, not so much because of the 'quality' of their players, but more because they have developed a WAY of playing that the TEAM buys into. If you watch or read Babc0ck's interviews, he always talks about 'Red Wing Hockey'--in other words, an obsessive dedication to zero defect execution.

That's a reason why Ken Hitchc0ck says things like "when the Wings play they way they can, teams are lucky to beat them".

Talent is one thing. Systems and execution are as, if not more, important.

Hope you're watching the Hawks-Flames and Ducks-Sharks later...

Cheers

:D:

75Round One: Columbus @ Detroit - Page 5 Empty Re: Round One: Columbus @ Detroit Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:27 pm

disappointing. Hopefully Nash and his BJs can improve in the next game.

76Round One: Columbus @ Detroit - Page 5 Empty Re: Round One: Columbus @ Detroit Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:33 pm

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

davetherave wrote:PS I wasn't trying to push back on you for taking the position that the Wings are a truly elite team...just making the point that differences between teams--especially in the playoffs--are very close indeed.

No worries. I'm not trying to hide the fact that I'm incredibly biased. Wink

It's just so nice to watch after a season of Sens-intensive (maybe that's the wrong word) hockey.

Personally, I think the Wings are worse this year than last. Lidstrom fell to only semi-deity status this season for a while, and the D behind the top pairing regressed quite a bit. Not to mention the goaltending was a major head-ache.

Hopefully Osgood can continue this stellar play.

77Round One: Columbus @ Detroit - Page 5 Empty Re: Round One: Columbus @ Detroit Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:04 pm

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

asq2 wrote:
davetherave wrote:PS I wasn't trying to push back on you for taking the position that the Wings are a truly elite team...just making the point that differences between teams--especially in the playoffs--are very close indeed.

No worries. I'm not trying to hide the fact that I'm incredibly biased. Wink

It's just so nice to watch after a season of Sens-intensive (maybe that's the wrong word) hockey.

Personally, I think the Wings are worse this year than last. Lidstrom fell to only semi-deity status this season for a while, and the D behind the top pairing regressed quite a bit. Not to mention the goaltending was a major head-ache.

Hopefully Osgood can continue this stellar play.

Ha ha...good on you for that. Nothing wrong with bias...your points are always excellent!

And you're right...watching these games shows you just how GOOD hockey can be!

Cheers
:D:

78Round One: Columbus @ Detroit - Page 5 Empty Re: Round One: Columbus @ Detroit Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:34 am

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

Red Wings top Blue Jackets in playoff opener

By LARRY LAGE, AP Sports Writer April 16, 2009

DETROIT (AP)—The playoff-neophyte Columbus Blue Jackets belonged on the ice with the mighty Detroit Red Wings for more than half of Game 1.

Then,
Manny Malhotra made an awful decision and Columbus couldn’t recover.

Detroit’s
Jonathan Ericsson scored the go-ahead goal with 6:39 left in the second period on a shot that Malhotra tried to snatch with his glove, the defending Stanley Cup champions scored again less than a minute later and went on to beat the Blue Jackets 4-1 on Thursday night.

“I saw the shot all the way and I wanted to grab it,” Malhotra said. “But I didn’t get enough of it, obviously.”

Obviously.

Detroit coach Mike Babc0ck certainly wasn’t going to apologize for the fortunate break that proved to be the pivotal moment of the playoff-opening game.

“The way they’re playing, everyone is playing goal and trying to block shots,” Babc0ck said. “You can block a lot of shots, but it also ends up going off you sometimes.”

Columbus’ Ken Hitchc0ck insisted he doesn’t coach his players to do what Malhotra did in front of goalie
Steve Mason.

“We’ve made that mistake before and it cost us the same way,” Hitchc0ck said. “That’s an easy, simple save for Mason.”

Chris Osgood had to make a diving save 1 1/2 minutes into the game, bailing out a teammate who turned the puck over, and didn’t give up a goal in the first period despite facing three power plays and 14 shots.

Mason stopped the first 21 shots he faced before giving up three goals—two of which he was helpless—in a five-shot stretch.

The rookie said the series is “absolutely” not over.

“We leave here with it being a game apiece and that will be a good accomplishment,” said Mason, who finished with 30 saves.

Game 2 of the first-round series is Saturday night in Detroit.

The Blue Jackets were in control early, easily outshooting the Red Wings and not allowing a second shot until midway through the first period.

Mason turned away each of the 14 shots he faced in the first, and Osgood had 13 saves in the scoreless period.

“From there on it was all downhill,” Mason said.

Detroit’s
Jiri Hudler fired up a restless crowd by scoring midway through the second period.

Undaunted, Columbus scored less than a minute later.

R.J. Umberger made it 1-all at 11:40 of the second period and it wasn’t until Malhotra made the gaffe a few minutes later that the Red Wings truly seized the momentum.

Ericsson lifted a shot from above the right circle toward the net,
Malhotra stuck out his left glove while standing in front of Mason and the go-ahead goal was in the books.

“This is playoff hockey. This is what happens,” Hudler said. “Thank God it went in.”

Forty-eight seconds later,
Niklas Kronwall gave Detroit a two-goal lead on a shot that Mason never saw—until it was past him—because burly forward Johan Franzen was perched in front of him. Less than 3 minutes into the third period, Franzen slipped a shot between Mason’s right skate and the post to make it 4-1. He scored after two Blue Jackets went after Henrik Zetterberg behind the net.

“The fourth I’d like to have back,” Mason said.

Despite the lopsided score, Columbus sounded confident about its chances in the franchise’s first playoff series since joining the NHL for the 2000-01 season.

“The one thing that was a bit of a concern was guys being overwhelmed,” defenseman
Mike Commodore said. “We were in a tough building, but we came out and played on even terms with them.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 5 of 12]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum