GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Round One: Columbus @ Detroit

+14
SeawaySensFan
Cronie
sennies1980
dennycrane
SensFan71
Number Twenty Nine
wprager
LethalLehner
beedub
shabbs
davetherave
caissie_1
asq2
PTFlea
18 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

POLL: Round One: Columbus @ Detroit

Round One: Columbus @ Detroit - Page 10 Vote_lcap20%Round One: Columbus @ Detroit - Page 10 Vote_rcap2 0% [ 0 ]
Round One: Columbus @ Detroit - Page 10 Vote_lcap20%Round One: Columbus @ Detroit - Page 10 Vote_rcap2 0% [ 0 ]
Round One: Columbus @ Detroit - Page 10 Vote_lcap230%Round One: Columbus @ Detroit - Page 10 Vote_rcap2 30% [ 7 ]
Round One: Columbus @ Detroit - Page 10 Vote_lcap29%Round One: Columbus @ Detroit - Page 10 Vote_rcap2 9% [ 2 ]
Round One: Columbus @ Detroit - Page 10 Vote_lcap213%Round One: Columbus @ Detroit - Page 10 Vote_rcap2 13% [ 3 ]
Round One: Columbus @ Detroit - Page 10 Vote_lcap226%Round One: Columbus @ Detroit - Page 10 Vote_rcap2 26% [ 6 ]
Round One: Columbus @ Detroit - Page 10 Vote_lcap217%Round One: Columbus @ Detroit - Page 10 Vote_rcap2 17% [ 4 ]
Round One: Columbus @ Detroit - Page 10 Vote_lcap24%Round One: Columbus @ Detroit - Page 10 Vote_rcap2 4% [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 23

Go down  Message [Page 10 of 12]

136Round One: Columbus @ Detroit - Page 10 Empty Re: Round One: Columbus @ Detroit Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:21 pm

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

SensGirl11 wrote:Might I ask who the 7 people are that picked Columbus to win in 6?

I'm not being an Donkey at all, I'm just curious.

I believe I was one of them Facepalm BagoverHead

137Round One: Columbus @ Detroit - Page 10 Empty Re: Round One: Columbus @ Detroit Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:42 am

davetherave

All-Star
All-Star

Round One: Columbus @ Detroit - Page 10 DetDetroit at Round One: Columbus @ Detroit - Page 10 ClsColumbus

7:00 PM ET, April 23, 2009
Nationwide Arena, Columbus, Ohio

TSN2

Red Wings-Blue Jackets Preview

COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) -- Down 3-0 and nearing extinction in their first-round series with the powerful Detroit Red Wings, the Columbus Blue Jackets are trying to keep their heads up.

Too bad R.J. Umberger didn't do that in Game 3.

Umberger was carrying the puck down through open ice when he glanced at the puck for an instant. Detroit defenseman Brad Stuart closed fast and lowered the boom on the Blue Jackets forward. Umberger looked like a cartoon character with his eyes rolling around in his head for a short time, but later returned and scored his second goal of series -- the Blue Jackets' only goals so far.

Umberger tried to look at the upside of that jarring hit.

"I had a kink in my neck for the last two months. It's gone now," he cracked Wednesday. "So I'm actually pretty happy. I should send him a thank-you note. ... It was better than a chiropractor can do."

For his part, Stuart was happy to oblige.

"Anytime, anytime. Glad to help," Stuart said with a grin. "I don't charge anything. Pro bono."

That one play spoke volumes about the entire series. The Blue Jackets, making their first trip to the playoffs in the franchise's eight years, have skated hard and been focused. But the wily veteran Red Wings have repeatedly beaten them down.

The Blue Jackets are in desperate straits.

"We're playing for our lives now," defenseman Kris Russell said.

The defending Stanley Cup champion Red Wings have won by a combined score of 12-2. The defensemen have been superlative. Cycling the puck on offense has been raised to an art form. Chris Osgood has stopped 76 of the 78 shots he's faced.

Many of the Blue Jackets have bemoaned their giveaways and missed scoring chances, adding that the Red Wings are approaching perfection.

Not even close, Detroit coach Mike Babc0ck said.

"We're a long way from error-free," he said. "It's not a perfect game. It's not supposed to be like that."

The Wings don't strive for perfection. As a result, they don't play with hesitancy, nor are they afraid to take chances.

"It's a game of mistakes and what we try to do and our philosophy and our program is to not be careful -- Put your foot on the gas, go as hard as you can go, we'll fix it later or tomorrow," Babc0ck said. "But let's make mistakes on the aggressive side, not the passive side."

The Wings have no plans to alter that high-risk, high-reward attack in what could be the series-clinching game, set for Thursday night at Nationwide Arena.

"It's one of the toughest things to close a series," winger Marian Hossa said. "Obviously, no one wants to be swept. They're going to be ready for us and we have to make sure that we come out strong like we have."

The Red Wings had played indifferently down the stretch, long after they were assured of a playoff spot. But once the puck dropped in the postseason, they've been a different team.

"We had been looking forward to it for quite a while. So to do it and to be having fun doing it is a big thing for us," Osgood said. "But each game is a different moment. Game 4 will be completely different. We have to make sure we go out there and play solid hockey and play smart and make sure we're ready for the full game because we expect their best. We're expecting the best of ourselves as well."

The Blue Jackets have played well at the outset in all three games, but have not been able to keep up. On top of that, they've not been able to find the net -- blame that on Osgood, Detroit's stout defense or Columbus' inefficiency and inaccuracy with the puck.

Unlike Stuart, they've even missed the Red Wings on checks.

In Game 3, defenseman Mike Commodore swooped in on Detroit's Daniel Cleary on the short boards. The largest crowd ever to see a hockey game in Columbus tensed for the thunderous hit. Except Cleary slipped past Commodore, who sprawled over the wall and under the Red Wings bench.

"He about got Babc0ck yesterday, so that would have been a good thing," Columbus coach Ken Hitchc0ck joked. "He just missed him."

138Round One: Columbus @ Detroit - Page 10 Empty Re: Round One: Columbus @ Detroit Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:12 pm

Cap'n Clutch

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I actually hadn't voted but in the pool I picked Detroit in 5. I'm thinking I'm going to be wrong on that and the Jackets don't even put up a fight.

139Round One: Columbus @ Detroit - Page 10 Empty Re: Round One: Columbus @ Detroit Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:17 pm

Cronie

Cronie
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

that's better than me Clutch, who picked Columbus in 6 or 7... I thought they might surprise... Apparently not. Sad

140Round One: Columbus @ Detroit - Page 10 Empty Re: Round One: Columbus @ Detroit Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:19 pm

caissie_1

caissie_1
Veteran
Veteran

Here's hoping Columbus win's the next one..... Then Detroit win's in 5 and my prediction was correct Smile...

141Round One: Columbus @ Detroit - Page 10 Empty Re: Round One: Columbus @ Detroit Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:30 pm

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Cronie wrote:that's better than me Clutch, who picked Columbus in 6 or 7... I thought they might surprise... Apparently not. Sad

To be fair. I did write a post in the Jackets forum suggesting that IF there was to be a Cinderella story those guys would be it.

- Unknown Author

142Round One: Columbus @ Detroit - Page 10 Empty Re: Round One: Columbus @ Detroit Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:03 pm

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

IMHO a lot of people wanted to see the Jackets make a series of it...it's much more fun to cheer for the underdog.

143Round One: Columbus @ Detroit - Page 10 Empty Re: Round One: Columbus @ Detroit Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:09 pm

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I was rooting for the Blues to get in the playoffs personally but I didn't want them to beat the 'Nucks that is for sure. I did want them to win just one game though.

- Unknown Author

144Round One: Columbus @ Detroit - Page 10 Empty Re: Round One: Columbus @ Detroit Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:16 pm

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

If San Jose wins their series, Detroit will face the Canucks in the 2nd round.

If Anaheim wins, the Wings meet the Ducks. Nucks would meet winner of Hawks-Flames.

145Round One: Columbus @ Detroit - Page 10 Empty Re: Round One: Columbus @ Detroit Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:21 pm

Cronie

Cronie
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Then, DTR, the choice is clear: i must WILL Anaheim to win...

Ana - Det series is a MUST!

146Round One: Columbus @ Detroit - Page 10 Empty Re: Round One: Columbus @ Detroit Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:27 pm

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Cronie wrote:Then, DTR, the choice is clear: i must WILL Anaheim to win...

And if Calgary gets through a Canucks Flames series would be fun too.

- Unknown Author

147Round One: Columbus @ Detroit - Page 10 Empty Re: Round One: Columbus @ Detroit Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:31 pm

Cronie

Cronie
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Exactly Clutch. That would be a dream scenario in my view.

148Round One: Columbus @ Detroit - Page 10 Empty Re: Round One: Columbus @ Detroit Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:33 pm

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

Cap'n Clutch wrote:

So Cap'n, are you now exposing yourself as a Flames fan? LOL

149Round One: Columbus @ Detroit - Page 10 Empty Re: Round One: Columbus @ Detroit Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:36 pm

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

davetherave wrote:
Cap'n Clutch wrote:

The Flames were the first team I cheered for. I remember the 86 and then the 89 Finals. It's not so much that I'm a Flames fan as much as that would be a nice rivalry matchup IMO. BTW I picked Chicago to win the series in 6 I believe.

- Unknown Author

150Round One: Columbus @ Detroit - Page 10 Empty Re: Round One: Columbus @ Detroit Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:54 pm

Cronie

Cronie
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

So did I Clutch

151Round One: Columbus @ Detroit - Page 10 Empty Re: Round One: Columbus @ Detroit Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:02 pm

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

Cap'n Clutch wrote:
davetherave wrote:
Cap'n Clutch wrote:

The Flames were the first team I cheered for. I remember the 86 and then the 89 Finals. It's not so much that I'm a Flames fan as much as that would be a nice rivalry matchup IMO. BTW I picked Chicago to win the series in 6 I believe.

...good for you Cap...Flames are a wonderful team.

Always liked 'em. Even when they were in Atlanta with Lysiak and Bouchard.

And with Iggy, they rock.

And will probably cheer for them if they get past the Blackhawks.

But until then...HERE COME THE HAWKS!

Cheering

152Round One: Columbus @ Detroit - Page 10 Empty Re: Round One: Columbus @ Detroit Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:08 pm

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

Cap'n Clutch wrote:
davetherave wrote:
Cap'n Clutch wrote:

oh we would have gone to :fight: back then, I was an Oilers fan before the Sens came along.

153Round One: Columbus @ Detroit - Page 10 Empty Re: Round One: Columbus @ Detroit Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:41 pm

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

SensFan71 wrote: oh we would have gone to :fight: back then, I was an Oilers fan before the Sens came along.

SF71...I guess you'll have to get a new avatar now the Habs are eliminated...can't wait to see your latest creation.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 10 of 12]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum