GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Columbus, Filatov and the Draft

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

M_Christopher

M_Christopher
Sophomore
Sophomore

It’s been a long time since I’ve sat down to write a hockey blog, at least two years since the last one.

So why I’m I writing again? Well for starters I have the time again, and to be honest I really just miss it. Also the frustration of writing on a previous site has worn off and I have the desire to write again.

So lets shake off some rust and start this up again…

This first one will be a lot less Sens than usual, but it's a starting point.
-------------------------------------------------
Columbus just can’t seem to win….

I’ve been a big fan of Columbus since their inception, and have stayed a fan because of players like Nash, and Brassard. But in recent seasons, I’ve just lost the passion to cheer them on.

The franchise seems to be falling apart…

The franchise has a terrible track record for developing drafted talent, and no one with-in the franchise seems to either a) care or b) know what to do

This past weekend has put Columbus’ failure in this field on full display, and I’m not referring to Filatov as that’s a whole other issue.

Jeff Carter is extremely talented, no question. He’s among the best goal scoring centers in the league, and he’s only 26. But Columbus’ biggest issue has been a center to play with Nash, so lining up a goal-scoring center with a goal-scoring winger likely won’t improve on that situation.

So the Jackets have now put all their eggs into the Carter basket, and have built a line of goal-scorers, with no real set-up guy. And in turn has shipped off a quality goal scorer in Voracek, Sean Couturier (which I’m not sold on yet, but is a playmaking center) and Nick Cousins. Realistically it’ll take a couple seasons to get a real sense of whether this trade was bad or not but at face value I’m saying it was a poor trade, based on what Columbus’ needs most.

The move is a pure desperation move by Howson to save his job, a job he probably should be relived of right way, in fact it’s safe to assume Howson’s whole weekend was based on desperation. Why else would you trade 3 1st rounders in one weekend?

This Franchise desperately needs brighter days, so hopefully Carter and Nash find a way to score 35-40 goals each, Ryan Johansen plays himself into a Jeff Skinner type role and hope that Savard and Moore are ready on the backend.

Filatov

This has been two years in the making.

Right after I quit Hockeybuzz the Sens went to work trying to acquire young Nikita, however back then the price was higher, much higher. Names like Foligno, Kelly, and Lee were tossed around, along with a pick that would turn into Jakob Silfverberg was the base of discussion.

In the end a 3rd round pick was the cost for a kid that undoubtedly has the skill set, but had lost his way after Hitchcock crushed his self-esteem and then Columbus as an organization couldn’t figure out how to handle him, which you think they would have considering they’ve dealt with Zherdev in the past.

From everything I’ve read, 29 teams think Ottawa made off like bandits in the trade and Columbus feels they got better by moving him.

29:1

I like those odds and I assure you lessons learned from Emery, Heatley and Yashin will be front and center from the moment Filatov lands in Ottawa, and hearing talk of Gonchar being asked to house Filatov could not only turn Filatov into the top-line scorer he was once projected but will also make Gonchar’s 5.5 hit well worth it.

Honestly every time I see the trade on paper, all I can think is Spezza/Chara/Muckalt for Yashin.

Time will tell, but Ottawa literally has nothing to lose on this trade.
Buy low/Sell High (Going to be a regular column with the sole purpose of using common-sense to refute ridiculous trade rumors.)

Steve Stamkos won’t be traded, I’d be shocked if Tampa even lets it get to July 1st and into offer sheet territory. So incase you were thinking about it, I wouldn’t buy into the insane belief that Stamkos won’t be a lighting after July 1st.

Stamkos and Yzerman have both come out and said they are very close to a deal, and Stamkos legitimately likes the city and the organization. Tampa has the money, the cap-space and the teammates, Stamkos is staying put.
------------------------------------------
And quickly these are my 5 (well 7) steals of the draft: (Not including trades, strictly drafted players)

5: 29th Van - Nicklas Jensen
4: 35th Det – Tomas Jurco and 196th Pho – Zac Larraza
3: 43rd Chi – Brandon Saad
2: 82nd LA – Nicholas Shore and 76th Flo - Logan Shaw
1: 4th NJD – Adam Larrson

I’ll post a daily update on the Sens Dev. Camp this week from Tuesday to Friday, as I fly back to Alberta on Saturday so I’ll miss the backend of the Camp

Mark

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?blogger_id=121
Share this post on: reddit

Post Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:06 pm by NEELY

Good read, dude.

Glad you are off that Dung site even though it's been a while.

I've made my feelings know on Columbus, can't stand the franchise because they seem to be a joke in a lot of ways. No credibility being the front and center... and that's on every single level.

spader

Post Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:12 pm by spader

"hearing talk of Gonchar being asked to house Filatov could not only turn Filatov into the top-line scorer he was once projected but will also make Gonchar’s 5.5 hit well worth it."

^ I like the sounds of that. Let's take the "kid gloves" approach and see if we can't ease this kid into a productive role.

Nice to see you're writing again, Mark. ThumbsUp

Post Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:38 pm by NEELY

Gonchar did a fantstic job with Malkin who was even more clueless than Filatov coming over to NA.

PTFlea

Post Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:50 pm by PTFlea

Nice to have you back! We talked about this on draft night, Columbus paid too much to get Carter in the first place, then they'll realize that Nash needs a set-up man, not a shooter.

Plus, word 'round the campfire is that Carter is NONE too happy with the whole ordeal. Good work Columbus!

Ev

Post Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:54 pm by Ev

SpezDispenser wrote:Nice to have you back! We talked about this on draft night, Columbus paid too much to get Carter in the first place, then they'll realize that Nash needs a set-up man, not a shooter.

Plus, word 'round the campfire is that Carter is NONE too happy with the whole ordeal. Good work Columbus!

First of all, there is no campfire, it's hockey we're talking about not camping.

Secondly, Carter met with the Jackets today and he is fine to go there. Just pissed at the Flyers (can you blame him?)

Also, I think Carter and Nash will form a good duo. They may be shoot-first but Nash is a 1st overall pick, he has the passing ability as well.

PTFlea

Post Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:08 pm by PTFlea

Big Ev wrote:First of all, there is no campfire, it's hockey we're talking about not camping.

Secondly, Carter met with the Jackets today and he is fine to go there. Just pissed at the Flyers (can you blame him?)

Also, I think Carter and Nash will form a good duo. They may be shoot-first but Nash is a 1st overall pick, he has the passing ability as well.

I wouldn't have gotten a shooter for Nash, I would have gotten a sweet passer.

Ev

Post Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:11 pm by Ev

Brassard is a nice passer.

PTFlea

Post Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:14 pm by PTFlea

Big Ev wrote:Brassard is a nice passer.

In a 'win-now' way of thinking, he's not the guy yet.

Flo The Action

Post Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:18 pm by Flo The Action

nice to see you're writing again mark. welcome back

The Silfer Server

Post Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:28 pm by The Silfer Server

SpezDispenser wrote:

If he were to centre Carter and Nash (sounds like a country band), then I think his assist totals would just explode. I believe Carter has spent time on the wing before, and Brassard is an adept and deft passer!

PTFlea

Post Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:33 pm by PTFlea

Bass Destruction wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:

If he were to centre Carter and Nash (sounds like a country band), then I think his assist totals would just explode. I believe Carter has spent time on the wing before, and Brassard is an adept and deft passer!

I admit it's possible, but I think it speaks volumes about the rumours that Columbus badly wanted Spezza - a pass first mentality to go with Nash's disgusting skill. Brassard's a nice passer, so is Vermette - either could be the guy to be honest. But still, the absolute first thing I thought was shooter/shooter.

LeCaptain

Post Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:03 pm by LeCaptain

ACtually CLB's first line was terrific last year, with Brassard and VOracek there... Unfortunately, to me Carter is not that big of an upgrade over Voracek in the long run.

Post Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:25 pm by sandysensfan

SpezDispenser wrote:Nice to have you back! We talked about this on draft night, Columbus paid too much to get Carter in the first place, then they'll realize that Nash needs a set-up man, not a shooter.

Carter is there for 11 yrs. NTC starting the end of next season. If he can't get it working with Nash... the team really struggles over the next couple of years.. does he pull a Heatley?

PTFlea

Post Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:35 pm by PTFlea

marakh wrote:ACtually CLB's first line was terrific last year, with Brassard and VOracek there... Unfortunately, to me Carter is not that big of an upgrade over Voracek in the long run.

I agree, Carter won't be much of an upgrade over Voracek in a year or two tops. As for Brassard and/or Vermette - I like both players - a lot, but I think Columbus could still use an experienced passer in the top line pivot. Not someone who had one good year and has potential, someone like Brad Richards - not that he'd go there I don't think, but someone who can pass the puck and pick up the slack if there are injuries + someone who's well liked and can contribute in the playoffs - if they even can get there. So far, they're not a playoff team IMO, perhaps with a couple more moves on D and a one more top 6, they'll be in there.

Post  by Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum