GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Round One: Columbus @ Detroit

+14
SeawaySensFan
Cronie
sennies1980
dennycrane
SensFan71
Number Twenty Nine
wprager
LethalLehner
beedub
shabbs
davetherave
caissie_1
asq2
PTFlea
18 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

POLL: Round One: Columbus @ Detroit

Round One: Columbus @ Detroit - Page 4 Vote_lcap20%Round One: Columbus @ Detroit - Page 4 Vote_rcap2 0% [ 0 ]
Round One: Columbus @ Detroit - Page 4 Vote_lcap20%Round One: Columbus @ Detroit - Page 4 Vote_rcap2 0% [ 0 ]
Round One: Columbus @ Detroit - Page 4 Vote_lcap230%Round One: Columbus @ Detroit - Page 4 Vote_rcap2 30% [ 7 ]
Round One: Columbus @ Detroit - Page 4 Vote_lcap29%Round One: Columbus @ Detroit - Page 4 Vote_rcap2 9% [ 2 ]
Round One: Columbus @ Detroit - Page 4 Vote_lcap213%Round One: Columbus @ Detroit - Page 4 Vote_rcap2 13% [ 3 ]
Round One: Columbus @ Detroit - Page 4 Vote_lcap226%Round One: Columbus @ Detroit - Page 4 Vote_rcap2 26% [ 6 ]
Round One: Columbus @ Detroit - Page 4 Vote_lcap217%Round One: Columbus @ Detroit - Page 4 Vote_rcap2 17% [ 4 ]
Round One: Columbus @ Detroit - Page 4 Vote_lcap24%Round One: Columbus @ Detroit - Page 4 Vote_rcap2 4% [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 23

Go down  Message [Page 4 of 12]

46Round One: Columbus @ Detroit - Page 4 Empty Re: Round One: Columbus @ Detroit Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:43 am

davetherave

All-Star
All-Star

Cronie wrote:Nice piece DTR. And hey, while I sometimes think when a team has an emotional drive and a face to see or remind them of something can play in their favor (ie, the tragedy of the Sens cup run and Fisher's pledge to the young and late Elgin Fraser that he would bring home the cup) sometimes, however, it doesn't pan out...

The great thing about hockey is that a 'more motivated' team can beat a 'more talented' team.

47Round One: Columbus @ Detroit - Page 4 Empty Re: Round One: Columbus @ Detroit Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:35 pm

davetherave

All-Star
All-Star

The 'head games' are on!

From the Columbus Post Dispatch:

It sounds as if the Detroit Red Wings think the Blue Jackets are pretty much a one-man band.

They would deny that, of course, but there might be enough evidence to convict.

Consider Henrik Zetterberg's reaction when he was asked about facing the Blue Jackets and their rookie goaltender, Steve Mason, in the first round of the NHL playoffs:

"He's basically taken them to the playoffs by himself," Zetterberg said. "It's easy to play well when you have a goalie like that that really stops the pucks. They have good confidence in him."

Plus, find out what Mike Babc0ck really thinks of the Jackets...

Babc0ck's words are probably more typical of his players' thoughts. He called the Jackets' blue-liners "a journeyman group that works real hard and competes real hard."

More here: http://www.bluejacketsxtra.com/live/content/sports/stories/2009/04/14/hunter_4-14.ART_ART_04-14-09_C1_DLDI1GJ.html?sid=101

48Round One: Columbus @ Detroit - Page 4 Empty Re: Round One: Columbus @ Detroit Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:56 pm

SensGirl11

Mod
Mod

This is too funny, Osgood is already testy.

By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

DETROIT -- Chris Osgood would rather just play, take off his gear, get stretched out and enjoy some grub.
However, as the No. 1 goaltender for the Detroit Red Wings, doing anything quietly isn't an option.

"Everybody makes too big of a deal out of me," Osgood said yesterday, sounding slightly exasperated. "I'm just part of the team."

Despite Osgood's attempts to deflect attention, his play will be pivotal in the Red Wings' quest to repeat as Stanley Cup champions.
Detroit's chances improve if Osgood plays as he did last year, showing this season was a fluke. He had a 2.09 goals-against average last season and a league-low 1.55 GAA in the 2008 playoffs.

This season, his GAA ballooned to a career-high 3.09 and there were doubts at times about whether he'd even start the playoffs in net.

Osgood's first shot to show he's still an elite goalie comes tonight at home in Game 1 against the Columbus Blue Jackets.
Does it bother him that some hockey analysts are giving the Jackets the edge in net with rookie Steve Mason.

"Who are the people doing it?" Osgood asked.

Awkward pause.

"Go," Osgood said. "Next one."

Osgood's place in hockey history also brings out the testy side of his personality.

"I'll worry about it when I'm done playing," the 37-year-old Osgood said. "It's not easy to win in this league, otherwise everybody would be doing it. I don't know how many goalies have played here in the last 15 years that I've been here, but I'm still here and I'm still wanted.

"That's what matters most and accounts for more than anything else. I'm a winner. That's all I do."

His 389 career NHL victories put him in a tie for 10th with Dominik Hasek -- who retired last year after losing his job to Osgood -- and trail only Martin Brodeur and Curtis Joseph among active goalies.

Oh Osgood! Testy testy! :D:

This is going to be an interesting series for sure.

Last edited by SensGirl11 on Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:00 pm; edited 1 time in total

49Round One: Columbus @ Detroit - Page 4 Empty Re: Round One: Columbus @ Detroit Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:59 pm

Cronie

Cronie
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

C;mon Mason! stand on your freakin' HEAD!!
Expose Osgoode as the mediocre goalie I've been saying he is ALL along! Smile

Seriously though, this should be one hell of a series...

50Round One: Columbus @ Detroit - Page 4 Empty Re: Round One: Columbus @ Detroit Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:06 pm

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

This is gonna be one BIG game.

51Round One: Columbus @ Detroit - Page 4 Empty Re: Round One: Columbus @ Detroit Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:02 pm

SensGirl11

SensGirl11
Mod
Mod

Go Columbus! Even though it would mess up all my pools, I'm still going for the underdogs.

52Round One: Columbus @ Detroit - Page 4 Empty Re: Round One: Columbus @ Detroit Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:04 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

I predicted a Detroit win, but would LOVE to see Columbus pull out an upset.

53Round One: Columbus @ Detroit - Page 4 Empty Re: Round One: Columbus @ Detroit Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:05 pm

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

shabbs wrote:I predicted a Detroit win, but would LOVE to see Columbus pull out an upset.

with Vermette sticking up a couple points on the Wings, Go Vermie Go.

54Round One: Columbus @ Detroit - Page 4 Empty Re: Round One: Columbus @ Detroit Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:15 pm

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

Cronie wrote:C;mon Mason! stand on your freakin' HEAD!!
Expose Osgoode as the mediocre goalie I've been saying he is ALL along! Smile

Seriously though, this should be one hell of a series...

Mediocre though he may be, guy knows how to win. 389 career regular season wins and 59 playoff wins. cool)

SensFan71 wrote:
shabbs wrote:I predicted a Detroit win, but would LOVE to see Columbus pull out an upset.

with Vermette sticking up a couple points on the Wings, Go Vermie Go.

Vermette's never been much of a point producer in the playoffs. 8 points in 38 games.

To summarize:

Go Wings! :D:

55Round One: Columbus @ Detroit - Page 4 Empty Re: Round One: Columbus @ Detroit Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:19 pm

Hockeyhero22000

Hockeyhero22000
Veteran
Veteran

i think this is going to come down to how the goalies do for their respective teams especially detroit osgood has not been very good

56Round One: Columbus @ Detroit - Page 4 Empty Re: Round One: Columbus @ Detroit Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:25 pm

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

Hockeyhero22000 wrote:i think this is going to come down to how the goalies do for their respective teams especially detroit osgood has not been very good

I'm not sure you can just ignore the massive difference in calibre between the two teams' skaters.

57Round One: Columbus @ Detroit - Page 4 Empty Re: Round One: Columbus @ Detroit Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:29 pm

Hockeyhero22000

Hockeyhero22000
Veteran
Veteran

if osgood lets in some shakey goals or an early one it give columbus confidence and i think they have a good chance to upset detroit you need to have good goaltending to win and osgood nor conklin has shown it this year

58Round One: Columbus @ Detroit - Page 4 Empty Re: Round One: Columbus @ Detroit Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:00 pm

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

Hockeyhero22000 wrote:if osgood lets in some shakey goals or an early one it give columbus confidence and i think they have a good chance to upset detroit you need to have good goaltending to win and osgood nor conklin has shown it this year

I watched NHL Live! today, and Columbus GM Scott Howson was interviewed by EJ Hradek and Rob Simpson. Howson says the key will be to stay out of the penalty box as the Wings' powerplay is lethal.

Should be a great one...
:D:

59Round One: Columbus @ Detroit - Page 4 Empty Re: Round One: Columbus @ Detroit Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:05 pm

Hockeyhero22000

Hockeyhero22000
Veteran
Veteran

and if you dont have tsn2 it is on
http://www.ustream.tv/channel/puckyou

60Round One: Columbus @ Detroit - Page 4 Empty Re: Round One: Columbus @ Detroit Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:16 pm

Hockeyhero22000

Hockeyhero22000
Veteran
Veteran

pp for columbo and detroit hasnt had the greatest pk this year

61Round One: Columbus @ Detroit - Page 4 Empty Re: Round One: Columbus @ Detroit Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:23 pm

Hockeyhero22000

Hockeyhero22000
Veteran
Veteran

refs are setting a tone that they are not going to let anything go

62Round One: Columbus @ Detroit - Page 4 Empty Re: Round One: Columbus @ Detroit Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:37 pm

Hockeyhero22000

Hockeyhero22000
Veteran
Veteran

osgood has looked very sharp tonight

63Round One: Columbus @ Detroit - Page 4 Empty Re: Round One: Columbus @ Detroit Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:05 pm

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

asq2 wrote:
Hockeyhero22000 wrote:i think this is going to come down to how the goalies do for their respective teams especially detroit osgood has not been very good

I'm not sure you can just ignore the massive difference in calibre between the two teams' skaters.

That's because the difference isn't 'massive'.
cool)

Remember how the Oilers beat the Wings in '06.

BTW Justin Williams--who now plays for the Jackets--was on the Wings team that was upended by the Oilers.

Mike Peca and Raffi Torres--who now play for the Jackets--were on the Oilers team that beat the Wings...as was Ty Conklin.

And remember NO team has won back to back Stanley Cups in ten years.

Finally, remember in hockey--especially playoff hockey--the only absolute is the score at the end of the game.

BTW the Jackets have more than gone toe-to-toe with the reigning Champions so far in this game, yes?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 4 of 12]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum