GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

What's Next For The Senators?

+34
jawal
smash88
Mojo
ddt
Cronie
caissie_1
Sp00nz
The Silfer Server
andyman998
beerandsens
Hayden
TheAvatar
strachattack
SensFan71
Flo The Action
rooneypoo
jamvan
SensGirl11
TeamRenzo
Acrobat
Phoenix30
Hockeyhero22000
asq2
mattshock
Riprock
dennycrane
SeawaySensFan
Cap'n Clutch
PKC
wprager
shabbs
PTFlea
LeCaptain
davetherave
38 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 18 ... 33, 34, 35 ... 50 ... 67  Next

Go down  Message [Page 34 of 67]

496What's Next For The Senators? - Page 34 Empty Re: What's Next For The Senators? Sat Jun 20, 2009 5:30 am

davetherave

All-Star
All-Star

Here's what the always controversial Al Strachan (he of the Hot Stove on HNIC) has to say about the Senators and Heatley:

Clubs trade contracts, not players
Al Strachan, FoxSports.com, June 19, 2009

The reaction of most fans to the news that Dany Heatley wants a trade out of Ottawa was that the Senators shouldn't have much trouble unloading the talented sniper.

That might have been true in the old NHL. It's not true any more.

Teams don't trade players any more -- if they trade at all. They trade contracts.

And Heatley's contract is an extremely difficult one to move.

It has both size and term, the two commodities than most GMs are trying to unload. It calls for him to be paid $8 million a year for the next three years, then $6 million in its final year. Because of the possibility of a reduced salary cap next year, the league is full of available players who have contracts with size and term.

The teams don't publicize that fact, but if guaranteed anonymity, any GM will give you a long list of stars he has been offered in trade.

Heatley is a one-dimensional player. He scores. He does that very well -- better than most as a matter of fact. But he doesn't do much else. And because the entire league knows that the Senators have their backs to the wall on this one, offers will be reduced even further.

Al Strachan can be reached at FoxSports.com:
http://msn.foxsports.com/writer/Al-Strachan?authorId=303

497What's Next For The Senators? - Page 34 Empty Re: What's Next For The Senators? Sat Jun 20, 2009 7:18 am

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

davetherave wrote:Here's what the always controversial Al Strachan (he of the Hot Stove on HNIC) has to say about the Senators and Heatley:

Clubs trade contracts, not players
Al Strachan, FoxSports.com, June 19, 2009

The reaction of most fans to the news that Dany Heatley wants a trade out of Ottawa was that the Senators shouldn't have much trouble unloading the talented sniper.

That might have been true in the old NHL. It's not true any more.

Teams don't trade players any more -- if they trade at all. They trade contracts.

And Heatley's contract is an extremely difficult one to move.

It has both size and term, the two commodities than most GMs are trying to unload. It calls for him to be paid $8 million a year for the next three years, then $6 million in its final year. Because of the possibility of a reduced salary cap next year, the league is full of available players who have contracts with size and term.

The teams don't publicize that fact, but if guaranteed anonymity, any GM will give you a long list of stars he has been offered in trade.

Heatley is a one-dimensional player. He scores. He does that very well -- better than most as a matter of fact. But he doesn't do much else. And because the entire league knows that the Senators have their backs to the wall on this one, offers will be reduced even further.

Al Strachan can be reached at FoxSports.com:
[url=http://msn.foxsports.com/writer/Al-Strachan?authorId=303
http://msn.foxsports.com/writer/Al-Strachan?authorId=303[/quote[/url]]

I see Strachan's POV on this one, very logical and makes a lot of sense, but if you have a team out there that is desperate for some scoring and has cap room, they won't care about the one dimensional play or the huge term/cap hit. To further follow Strachan's point, I guess in a sense that if Ottawa did ink a deal with LA, which seems to be the popular choice right now, if it was the proposed Frolov, Teubert/Hickey and their 5th, then Ottawa would be taking some contract back. As per NHL numbers, Frolov's cap hit is 2.9, and his contract expires after next year, so which means he would have to resign at possibly more, depending on how he plays. Plus whoever gets drafted, they would have to have a entry level deal signed, which could be more than the 850K cap hit by the time bonuses are added, so in essence, Ottawa might not be shedding much cap room at all with this heatley deal, but at least are shedding a huge problem and hopefully getting some players that want to be here and will buy into Clouston's system.

498What's Next For The Senators? - Page 34 Empty Re: What's Next For The Senators? Sat Jun 20, 2009 8:54 pm

SensBuzz has this:

"Bryan Murray and Blue Jackets GM Scott Howson are closing in on another trade right before Draft Day on Friday. Multiple sources tell me that Murray has a deal in principle to send goaltender Alexander Auld to the Jackets for defenseman Kris Russell.

To start off with, sorry to any fans who thought this was another Heatley post. It looks like Auld has stolen his thunder. But back to the trade, Murray has been interested in Russell for a very, very long time and almost acquired him in the Vermette for LeClaire trade, however, he would face cap problems. Now that it seems as if Brendan Bell will not be re-signed, Jason Smith set to reitre, and one of Christoph Schubert or Alexandre Picard to be traded, there is room for the budding, young defenseman.

The Blue Jackets do not have a backup to Steve Mason since Frederik Norrena and Wade Dubielewicz are set to become Unrestricted Free Agents. Auld fills that role perfectly and is very cheap at 1 mil per year. It also gives Howson some flexibility since this is the last year on Auld's contract and helps burn the log-jam the Jackets have on defense.

For anyone who isn't familiar with Russel, he is a very fluid, puck moving defenseman and responsible defensively. He is projected to be a Top 4 Pairing defenseman and is cheap as well. I think Murray wants to get rid of any goalie controversary and establish a LeClaire-Elliott tandem before training camp."

http://sensbuzz.blogspot.com/

Again, I'm not vouching for his sources or the validity of his statements, but it's interesting to talk about nonetheless...

499What's Next For The Senators? - Page 34 Empty Re: What's Next For The Senators? Sat Jun 20, 2009 9:00 pm

Auld for Russell? Done.

We have a mini logjam as is between the pipes. And we'll get a good young PMD in exchange for our backup goaltender? What do we have to add to this?

500What's Next For The Senators? - Page 34 Empty Re: What's Next For The Senators? Sat Jun 20, 2009 9:01 pm

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

cas wrote:SensBuzz has this:

"Bryan Murray and Blue Jackets GM Scott Howson are closing in on another trade right before Draft Day on Friday. Multiple sources tell me that Murray has a deal in principle to send goaltender Alexander Auld to the Jackets for defenseman Kris Russell.

To start off with, sorry to any fans who thought this was another Heatley post. It looks like Auld has stolen his thunder. But back to the trade, Murray has been interested in Russell for a very, very long time and almost acquired him in the Vermette for LeClaire trade, however, he would face cap problems. Now that it seems as if Brendan Bell will not be re-signed, Jason Smith set to reitre, and one of Christoph Schubert or Alexandre Picard to be traded, there is room for the budding, young defenseman.

The Blue Jackets do not have a backup to Steve Mason since Frederik Norrena and Wade Dubielewicz are set to become Unrestricted Free Agents. Auld fills that role perfectly and is very cheap at 1 mil per year. It also gives Howson some flexibility since this is the last year on Auld's contract and helps burn the log-jam the Jackets have on defense.

For anyone who isn't familiar with Russel, he is a very fluid, puck moving defenseman and responsible defensively. He is projected to be a Top 4 Pairing defenseman and is cheap as well. I think Murray wants to get rid of any goalie controversary and establish a LeClaire-Elliott tandem before training camp."

Again, I'm not vouching for his sources or the validity of his statements, but it's interesting to talk about nonetheless...

I think our new strategy might be to carry 9 defencemen, 3 per 'pairing'. Try to adjust to that maniacal plan, opposing forwards!

501What's Next For The Senators? - Page 34 Empty Re: What's Next For The Senators? Sat Jun 20, 2009 9:36 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Could have had him at the deadline, but had cap constraints?

Uhh...Russell and Auld make the same amount of money to within 250K. At the deadline, that's like 60K.

That defuses the rumour immediately IMO.

502What's Next For The Senators? - Page 34 Empty Re: What's Next For The Senators? Sat Jun 20, 2009 10:08 pm

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

cas wrote:SensBuzz has this:

Seems way too good to be true.

Blue-Jackets fans at HF were saying Russell had been declared untouchable by Howson.

And this was in discussions about Jason Spezza.

503What's Next For The Senators? - Page 34 Empty Re: What's Next For The Senators? Sat Jun 20, 2009 10:20 pm

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

Laughing3

Not gonna happen...

504What's Next For The Senators? - Page 34 Empty Re: What's Next For The Senators? Sat Jun 20, 2009 11:17 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Even if it did, we'd have 200 D-man. If Murray is looking to acquire him and flip him to Minny to complete a Burns deal, be careful not to piss off Howsen. He's proved to be a nice trading partner for us.

505What's Next For The Senators? - Page 34 Empty Re: What's Next For The Senators? Sun Jun 21, 2009 9:38 am

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

Well the scouting report on the guy is that he's a pure powerplay quarterback offense first kind of guy...which is exactly what we need. The fact that he comes in at an absolute bargain really helps the equation too.

Do it. TODAY!

506What's Next For The Senators? - Page 34 Empty Re: What's Next For The Senators? Sun Jun 21, 2009 11:45 am

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

So, yeah.... I spent a couple minutes reading over the SensBuzz website, where this Auld/Russel rumour is coming from.

The long and the short is, I'm pretty sure that the blogger(s) there don't know what they're talking about. Seriously.

507What's Next For The Senators? - Page 34 Empty Re: What's Next For The Senators? Sun Jun 21, 2009 11:52 am

I figured as much.

Still interesting to talk about though; the goalie situation, I mean. I'm thinking Murray let's us go to camp with all three signed to 1-way contracts.

508What's Next For The Senators? - Page 34 Empty Re: What's Next For The Senators? Sun Jun 21, 2009 11:57 am

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

cas wrote:I figured as much.

Still interesting to talk about though; the goalie situation, I mean. I'm thinking Murray let's us go to camp with all three signed to 1-way contracts.

I agree, that's one to watch for sure. I'm pretty sure Elliott will sign a 1-way deal sometime this summer -- no way he settles for a 2-way deal -- which means that Auld will be gone, but who knows. If that does happen, tho', it'll be interesting to see where Auld ends up and what we get in return for him.

If we really were after Russell, I'd think that would mean that we were gunning for a forward at this year's draft (and not, say, OEL). That's only if this SensBuzz nerds hit the bull's-eye while blindfolded, tho', which is, I think, unlikely.

509What's Next For The Senators? - Page 34 Empty Re: What's Next For The Senators? Sun Jun 21, 2009 12:03 pm

What is possible, and occured to me when I first read the rumour, is that we trade down to 16 to get Russell.

I'm not big on making fantasy trades because they're invariably wrong, but something like 9th and Lee for 16th and Russell is conceivable, I guess...

I still don't really think there's anything to this Russell rumour and I'm convinced that no one actually knows who Murray covets, but I can imagine Murray trying to get some immediate competition for Karlsson at training camp. Anything to push him...

510What's Next For The Senators? - Page 34 Empty Re: What's Next For The Senators? Sun Jun 21, 2009 12:05 pm

Anyone who says they have any clue whats really going on is a liar. No one has a clue. I just want Friday to come and go that way there is something new to discuss....

511What's Next For The Senators? - Page 34 Empty Re: What's Next For The Senators? Sun Jun 21, 2009 12:08 pm

Neely4Life wrote:Anyone who says they have any clue whats really going on is a liar. No one has a clue. I just want Friday to come and go that way there is something new to discuss....

lol!

512What's Next For The Senators? - Page 34 Empty Re: What's Next For The Senators? Sun Jun 21, 2009 12:11 pm

Agreed, N4L.

Let me ask you this question, though (just for fun): OEL and Lee or Kassian and Russell?

513What's Next For The Senators? - Page 34 Empty Re: What's Next For The Senators? Sun Jun 21, 2009 12:16 pm

Daaaaah, dunno... I love both Kiassian and OEL. Prob OEL and Lee.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 34 of 67]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 18 ... 33, 34, 35 ... 50 ... 67  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum