GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Chris Campoli deserves a HUGE chance

+6
asq2
shabbs
LeCaptain
SensGirl11
Hockeyhero22000
PTFlea
10 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Chris Campoli deserves a HUGE chance Empty Chris Campoli deserves a HUGE chance Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:25 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Call it what you want, but the minute Chis Campoli left the NY Islanders and came to the Ottawa Senators, something happened to him.

In 51 games for the Isles, he had 6 goals, 11 assists for 17 point and a whopping -20 rating.

Since he's been a Senator, he's played 21 games, registering 4 goals, 8 assists for 12 points and a +4 rating.

So who's the real Chris Campoli? The guy who had a rough time in his defensive zone for the Isles, or the guy that is pretty quietly lighting it up for the Sens? Now, granted, Campoli has had his fair share of problems in the defensive zone, but he seems to be learning on the job. His main problem is that he can be beaten to pucks when skating back towards the defensive zone. This is strange because Campoli has an excellent top speed - problem is, his acceleration needs work.

Campoli is unfairly talked about as a small defender, but he isn't necessarily. He's 6'0", 200 pounds - which is just fine as far as size goes in the NHL. There are issues for him to work on - beyond just accelerating - he'll need to realize that there will be ups and downs in a full NHL slate - and learn to make the necessary changes when his game isn't at it's best.

There are three things that really define Chris Campoli - both as a defender and as a huge part of the Sens going forward.

1.The guy has a cannon. An absolute blast from the point - and it's shot with pin point accuracy much of the time. He will become one of the go-to guys on the PP.

2.This is one of the better young outlet passers in the league. Watch how quickly he reads the play and slap passes the puck up to attacking forwards. If this team is gonna turn it around, it'll need every bit of Campoli's skills as a skilled puck mover.

3.His top speed is blazing. It takes him two steps to really get going, but when he does, he's rocking up the ice. This makes his extremely hard to contain for the opposition. Not only can he beat them with speed, he can beat them with a quick pass at any point along the way.

Like most people, I was a little nervous seeing him getting bounced around in the defensive zone in his stint with the Sens. I was starting to actually get annoyed, but then you step back and realize that this guy produces - and he's still quite young.

A summer of training and then a lot of work with Clouston, Kuba and co. and I think we'll find him playing top 4 minutes (hopefully with Kuba). I realize translating his 12 points in 21 games to a full NHL schedule can be dangerous and slightly misleading, but I do see the potential for 40-45 points from Chris next year.

Let's cross out fingers and prepare to give Campoli the chance he so obviously deserves.

2Chris Campoli deserves a HUGE chance Empty Re: Chris Campoli deserves a HUGE chance Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:57 pm

Hockeyhero22000

Hockeyhero22000
Veteran
Veteran

he has already learned to stop always taking the shot when there isnt one there is was frustrating to see him shoot and hit the other teams players and lose the puck and have to turn and play d but he seems to see a little better and now either passes or dos the fake then moves and looks for new options

3Chris Campoli deserves a HUGE chance Empty Re: Chris Campoli deserves a HUGE chance Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:19 pm

SensGirl11

SensGirl11
Mod
Mod

I hope that he turns into the guy we've been looking for all year. I definitely see some upside to him, and think that the more comfortable he gets, the better he will be. Much like Kuba.

4Chris Campoli deserves a HUGE chance Empty Re: Chris Campoli deserves a HUGE chance Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:47 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

He'll benefit from a full year under Clouston - and yeah Hockeyhero, his reads are getting better and better. Get a little stronger this summer, listen to Luke Richardson and continue to improve - and we might see him paired on the top pairing next year.

5Chris Campoli deserves a HUGE chance Empty Re: Chris Campoli deserves a HUGE chance Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:26 pm

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

Every defenseman on this team that can shoot on the PP should get at least 15 goals a season. The real problem of our D's, they are scared to shoot. The big 3 + Foligno are pretty good at getting rebounds also. I say, shoot shoot shoot

6Chris Campoli deserves a HUGE chance Empty Re: Chris Campoli deserves a HUGE chance Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:41 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

marakh wrote:Every defenseman on this team that can shoot on the PP should get at least 15 goals a season. The real problem of our D's, they are scared to shoot. The big 3 + Foligno are pretty good at getting rebounds also. I say, shoot shoot shoot
The other problem we've had is getting them to shoot ON NET.

Hopefully we can address that... soon...

7Chris Campoli deserves a HUGE chance Empty Re: Chris Campoli deserves a HUGE chance Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:03 pm

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

I think you're giving him almost Erik Karlsson attributes. I don't think he's that good, but there's no reason he can't hold the gap until Karlsson is ready IMO.

Is it me, or does he use a really short stick?

8Chris Campoli deserves a HUGE chance Empty Re: Chris Campoli deserves a HUGE chance Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:53 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

asq2 wrote:I think you're giving him almost Erik Karlsson attributes. I don't think he's that good, but there's no reason he can't hold the gap until Karlsson is ready IMO.

Smile I certainly didn't mean to compare him to Karlsson. He's 1/2 the player (potentially), but still, Campoli could be a nice, effective top 4 D-man for us next year, hopefully potting 40+ points.

Karlsson might do that his rookie year. cool)

9Chris Campoli deserves a HUGE chance Empty Re: Chris Campoli deserves a HUGE chance Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:17 pm

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

504Heater wrote:
asq2 wrote:I think you're giving him almost Erik Karlsson attributes. I don't think he's that good, but there's no reason he can't hold the gap until Karlsson is ready IMO.

Smile I certainly didn't mean to compare him to Karlsson. He's 1/2 the player (potentially), but still, Campoli could be a nice, effective top 4 D-man for us next year, hopefully potting 40+ points.

Karlsson might do that his rookie year. cool)

I agree, and I think he should be given more of a role in our offence. Moreso than Bell.

That said, and childish innuendo aside, am I the only one who thinks his stick is too short? It looks awkward when stickhandling. Shrug

10Chris Campoli deserves a HUGE chance Empty Re: Chris Campoli deserves a HUGE chance Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:20 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

asq2 wrote:
I agree, and I think he should be given more of a role in our offence. Moreso than Bell.

That said, and childish innuendo aside, am I the only one who thinks his stick is too short? It looks awkward when stickhandling. Shrug

:D: Now I'm curious. I'll have to pay closer attention.

11Chris Campoli deserves a HUGE chance Empty Re: Chris Campoli deserves a HUGE chance Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:57 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

You know what I mean? :D:

12Chris Campoli deserves a HUGE chance Empty Re: Chris Campoli deserves a HUGE chance Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:47 pm

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

:77:

13Chris Campoli deserves a HUGE chance Empty Re: Chris Campoli deserves a HUGE chance Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:49 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Laughing3 WTF Marak?

14Chris Campoli deserves a HUGE chance Empty Re: Chris Campoli deserves a HUGE chance Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:30 am

Sp00nz

Sp00nz
Rookie
Rookie

shabbs wrote:
marakh wrote:Every defenseman on this team that can shoot on the PP should get at least 15 goals a season. The real problem of our D's, they are scared to shoot. The big 3 + Foligno are pretty good at getting rebounds also. I say, shoot shoot shoot
The other problem we've had is getting them to shoot ON NET.

Hopefully we can address that... soon...

In that regard, he is already a massive upgrade over Meszaros. I've never yelled at a sens player more in the playoffs than every time meszaros would shoot from the blueline.

Except for Riccard Persson and the infamous double miner. Facepalm

15Chris Campoli deserves a HUGE chance Empty Re: Chris Campoli deserves a HUGE chance Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:42 am

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

504Heater wrote:Laughing3 WTF Marak?

Hey you go see if you want, don`t count me in Laughing3

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum