GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Leafs fined 500K and a 4th round pick

+2
shabbs
PTFlea
6 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Leafs fined 500K and a 4th round pick Empty Leafs fined 500K and a 4th round pick Wed Apr 01, 2009 6:45 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=273427

Basically because the NHL is stupid and approved Frogren's contract, the Leafs lose a valuable pick. Meh...whatever, they'll obviously survive, but one would hope the league would've picked this up at the time.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

HA! Fail.

caissie_1

caissie_1
Veteran
Veteran

Haha. It's sort of the Nhl fault for approving the contatc. But im not gonna complain when it's hurting the Leafs.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

The legend of Fletch lives on...

5Leafs fined 500K and a 4th round pick Empty Re: Leafs fined 500K and a 4th round pick Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:04 am

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

I'm sure Burke will use this to his advantage. He's a genius apparently.

6Leafs fined 500K and a 4th round pick Empty Re: Leafs fined 500K and a 4th round pick Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:48 am

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

I feel bad for Burkie since he has to save face for someone else's mistake, Fletcher must be getting senile eh? too bad it wasn't a first rounder lol.

7Leafs fined 500K and a 4th round pick Empty Re: Leafs fined 500K and a 4th round pick Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:12 am

I'm told it's not so much that the league approved the contract, as the Leafs disagreed with the leagues stance that Frogren didn't qualify for more than a 400k signing bonus. They aparently went ahead and paid him the 750k and that is the reason for them being punished.

If my sources are right, then it serves them right, at least the old regime. I feel for Burke in some ways as he's inherited this mess including the punishment, but on the other hand that's what you get when you take over a circus.

DW

Shame on the leafs for overseeing this!

4th round pick lol

Last edited by HowieMorenz on Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:41 pm; edited 1 time in total

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

As far as I know, the NHL said the contract was invalid - it was the NHLPA that thought it was on the level. The NHL told the Leafs that it was invalid, but the Leafs disagreed and went ahead anyway. They got burned all by themselves.

10Leafs fined 500K and a 4th round pick Empty Re: Leafs fined 500K and a 4th round pick Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:45 am

Cronie

Cronie
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

How in the HELL did we lose out on Bozak?!?!

Damn you Burke!!!!

11Leafs fined 500K and a 4th round pick Empty Re: Leafs fined 500K and a 4th round pick Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:50 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Cronie wrote:How in the HELL did we lose out on Bozak?!?!

Damn you Burke!!!!

Burke's starting his demolition of the Leafs roster and Bozo will get a ton of ice time next year. In Ottawa, he would be relegated to line 3, it came to ice time I would imagine.

12Leafs fined 500K and a 4th round pick Empty Re: Leafs fined 500K and a 4th round pick Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:53 am

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

504Heater wrote:

Damn you Burke!!!!

Burke's starting his demolition of the Leafs roster and Bozo will get a ton of ice time next year. In Ottawa, he would be relegated to line 3, it came to ice time I would imagine.
For sure. In a rebuild mode like the Leafs are, they can offer "more" to the young guns than we can.

He drank the Burke Kool-Aid that's for sure.

I would not be surprised if they got Gilroy as well.

13Leafs fined 500K and a 4th round pick Empty Re: Leafs fined 500K and a 4th round pick Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:57 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

shabbs wrote:For sure. In a rebuild mode like the Leafs are, they can offer "more" to the young guns than we can.

He drank the Burke Kool-Aid that's for sure.

I would not be surprised if they got Gilroy as well.

Me neither. I think if he can grab Gilroy, he'll trade both Kaberle and Kubina this summer and throw the money truck at the Sedins and Ohlund.

We saw how badly Hanson was overmatched by NHLers on Saturday though, so caution is the word.

14Leafs fined 500K and a 4th round pick Empty Re: Leafs fined 500K and a 4th round pick Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:59 am

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

504Heater wrote:

Damn you Burke!!!!

you said it exactly right heater, he is going to get loads of ice time in suckville, lets hope he is a bust, I heard from a couple of people that pay attention more to NCAA hockey, they said Bozak was made a lot by his linemates in college. am hoping they are right for Toronto's sake lol.

15Leafs fined 500K and a 4th round pick Empty Re: Leafs fined 500K and a 4th round pick Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:05 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

SensFan71 wrote:
504Heater wrote:

Damn you Burke!!!!

you said it exactly right heater, he is going to get loads of ice time in suckville, lets hope he is a bust, I heard from a couple of people that pay attention more to NCAA hockey, they said Bozak was made a lot by his linemates in college. am hoping they are right for Toronto's sake lol.

I hope so too, but I think he's capable of 50 points in the NHL in 3 years or so. He's pretty talented. Bah...at least everything that goes to Toronto turns to Dung.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum