GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Picard on a 1-way deal!

4 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

16Picard on a 1-way deal! - Page 2 Empty Re: Picard on a 1-way deal! Sun Aug 31, 2008 11:05 pm

PKC

All-Star
All-Star

That trade makes no sense. Even more so in light of the fact that Alexandre Picard is also on a one-way deal. That puts us at:

Phillips - Volchenkov - Kuba - Smith - Picard - Nycholat - Lee

Enter Barker and his 2.763 one-way deal and we are sitting on too many NHL calibre defensemen with one-way contracts. How many contracts, if any, do you think our AHL affiliate will be able to pay?

Not to mention that Khabibulin adds negative value to a trade making that trade so immensely lopsided that you'd start wondering what exactly is going on in our front office.

Let me explain this: as it stands, BOTH Khabibulin AND Barker are on the outs. Khabibulin is slated to be a 6.75 million dollar backup, and Barker is NOT in the defensive scheme with the addition of Campbell.

Taking either one of those players off of Chicago's hands would be a favor to them, to reimburse them with so many roster players would be foolish and ridiculous at best.

If they don't like it, they can go ahead and start their year over the salary cap and learn the hard way (forfeiting games or paying absurd amounts of money for players to play in the minors) not to go over the cap anymore.

To accept that trade, I'd want nothing less than a highly rated prospect, or at the very minimum their first round pick. Also, I'd most likely remove one of our roster players as well.

17Picard on a 1-way deal! - Page 2 Empty Re: Picard on a 1-way deal! Sun Aug 31, 2008 11:20 pm

Amnesia021

Rookie
Rookie

First note was delete for being naive, google helped me realize i was an idiot :D

on a second note... The nice thing is that even though we have to many players and some might sit in the press box, we won't be paying them a ton of money to do so...well its alot of money to most of us, but in NHL terms, its not as though we'd be sticking a 2 mil guy up there, it would be a couple of +/- 900,000 dollar guys...

Last edited by Amnesia021 on Sun Aug 31, 2008 11:39 pm; edited 1 time in total

18Picard on a 1-way deal! - Page 2 Empty Re: Picard on a 1-way deal! Sun Aug 31, 2008 11:31 pm

rooneypoo

All-Star
All-Star

PKC wrote:That trade makes no sense. Even more so in light of the fact that Alexandre Picard is also on a one-way deal. That puts us at:

Enter Barker and his 2.763 one-way deal and we are sitting on too many NHL calibre defensemen with one-way contracts. How many contracts, if any, do you think our AHL affiliate will be able to pay?

Not to mention that Khabibulin adds negative value to a trade making that trade so immensely lopsided that you'd start wondering what exactly is going on in our front office.

Let me explain this: as it stands, BOTH Khabibulin AND Barker are on the outs. Khabibulin is slated to be a 6.75 million dollar backup, and Barker is NOT in the defensive scheme with the addition of Campbell.

Taking either one of those players off of Chicago's hands would be a favor to them, to reimburse them with so many roster players would be foolish and ridiculous at best.

If they don't like it, they can go ahead and start their year over the salary cap and learn the hard way (forfeiting games or paying absurd amounts of money for players to play in the minors) not to go over the cap anymore.

To accept that trade, I'd want nothing less than a highly rated prospect, or at the very minimum their first round pick. Also, I'd most likely remove one of our roster players as well.

To clarify: Cameron Barker is on the last year of his 2-way, 3-year entry level deal. He signed in 2005 but only played 1 game that year (2005-06) season, so the first year of his deal didn't kick in until the start of the 2006-07. Hence, 2 seasons later, he's in the last year of his entry-level deal.

If you check out NHLSCAP.com, in fact, you'll see that Barker is not listed on the team (but with the prospects) and his salary does not count against the cap.

In any event, I say 'booo' to this deal, too. I don't want Khabibulin. If we're really going to make a move for a goalie, there have to be better options, starting with Lehtonen.

19Picard on a 1-way deal! - Page 2 Empty Re: Picard on a 1-way deal! Sun Aug 31, 2008 11:42 pm

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

Amnesia021 wrote:Now, i'm not the most up-to-date on contracts and the such, but do we really pay the major league contract for a guy on a one-way contract playing in the minors? I thought that minor league money is set and the only difference between a two way and a one way was that the one way ticket means you get put on waivers everytime you get sent down.. I'm probably way wrong on that, but...

on a second note... The nice thing is that even though we have to many players and some might sit in the press box, we won't be paying them a ton of money to do so...well its alot of money to most of us, but in NHL terms, its not as though we'd be sticking a 2 mil guy up there, it would be a couple of +/- 900,000 dollar guys...

There are only two types of contract in the NHL: 1-way deals and 2-way deals.

In the first, the player and the team agree to a salary amount, which the team agrees to pay the player regardless of where he plays for them (NHL, AHL, etc).

In the second, the player and the team agree to 2 different salary amounts -- 1 if he should play in the NHL, and 1 if he should play in the AHL. Only 2-way deals have provisions for different compensation depending on which level the player plays for.

By definition, then, a player on a 1-way deal will get paid his full salary regardless of where he plays in the organization, as long as that organization retains his rights. The only way for the club to get out of paying that full salary is to 1) trade him, 2) waive him and have someone else claim his salary, or 3) buy out his contract. If he passes through waivers, we're still on the hook for his salary, although it doesn't count against our cap.

Waivers are a whole other issue. Whether a player is exempt or not from waivers depends on a variety of factors, including his age, the number of NHL seasons he's accrued, and the number of NHL games he's played. Almost all players on a 2-way deals are protected from waivers (any player on an entry-level deal, for instance, does not pass through waivers). There are rare instances in which players are on 1-way deals and yet still exempt from waivers -- Winchester, for instance, falls in this category this year, if I'm reading the CBA correctly -- but in generally most players on 1-way deals are subject to waivers.

20Picard on a 1-way deal! - Page 2 Empty Re: Picard on a 1-way deal! Mon Sep 01, 2008 1:13 am

Phoenix30

Phoenix30
Veteran
Veteran

PKC wrote:That trade makes no sense. Even more so in light of the fact that Alexandre Picard is also on a one-way deal. That puts us at:

First let me say I am not Bulin fan and second it maybe overpayment but I am not sure what Barkers and Troy Brouwers value are. If Chicago was to take less for those three I would be all for it but I suspect they would want fair value for giving up 2 quality prospects.

Bulin is an injury risk however that could work in our favor by allowing Auld and Elliott to play some games if he goes down. Something I dont think would occur with Gerber in our nets as he is relatively injury free. If taking Bulin means we can get Barker and Brouwer then I am open to looking into options. As well he does give us a quality goaltender when he is on his game.

Getting Barker who is on a 2-way contract gives us a young prospect that can step in next year when Kuba's contracts is up. Brouwers is a big power forward that could fit in as well. These are two prospects that can help the team in the long run or be used for another trade down the road depending on the development of our other players.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum