GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Picard on a 1-way deal!

4 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Picard on a 1-way deal! Empty Picard on a 1-way deal! Sun Aug 31, 2008 6:33 pm

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

I posted this on another thread, but the news is kinda of the 'startling' variety, so I thought I'd re-post it here to draw the proper attention to it.

The Sportsnet.ca players' pages are down at the moment, so I had to go digging around for quite some time to get this info on Picard, but here it is:

Picard was in the last year of his 2-way, entry-level deal this last season [2007-08]. In February of this year, he was traded from the Flyers to the Lightning for Prospal. He completed the year, and the last year of his entry-level deal, with the Lightning. At the end of the season, on June 2, he signed a new, 2-year, 1-way deal with the Lightning worth $800,000. That means that he is indeed currently on a 1-way deal.

This is the best source I could find on this:

http://lightning.nhl.com/team/app/?service=page&page=NewsPage&articleid=365003

All this to say... WOW. This means that, counting Schubert as a D, and adding in Nycholat [also on a 1-way deal], we currently have 8 D on 1-way deals. I don't know about you, but for me, that significantly changes the picture as to what our D may or may not look like. I have to think we're going to move at least Nycholat now for sure. It's also not inconceiveable that we'll play Picard on D and Schubert on the
wing, which would mean for sure that we have to move at least one forward before long as well.

Wow. This is all a bit of a surprise to me.

2Picard on a 1-way deal! Empty Re: Picard on a 1-way deal! Sun Aug 31, 2008 7:19 pm

Thanks for the info, Rooney. I definitely believe it'll be Nycholat on the way out (assuming we can even move him...) and, given this new development, I think we'll have a man in the press box nightly.

3Picard on a 1-way deal! Empty Re: Picard on a 1-way deal! Sun Aug 31, 2008 7:45 pm

cash wrote:Thanks for the info, Rooney. I definitely believe it'll be Nycholat on the way out (assuming we can even move him...) and, given this new development, I think we'll have a man in the press box nightly.
i think mcammond will be traded to a young team, and Shubert will play forward officially, but probably play defense at times too

4Picard on a 1-way deal! Empty Re: Picard on a 1-way deal! Sun Aug 31, 2008 8:46 pm

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

Tukker wrote:
i think mcammond will be traded to a young team, and Shubert will play forward officially, but probably play defense at times too

I have to think we'll have to make more moves than that. Consider this breakdown of our current roster (skaters only):

-- 11 Forwards on 1-way deals (Heatley, Spezza, Alfie, Fisher, Vermette, Kelly, Neil, Ruutu, Donovan, Winchester, and McAmmond).
-- 2 Forwards on 2-way deals (Foligno and Bass) who, after last year's showings, are either expected to make the club (Foligno) or at least push for a roster spot (Bass).
-- 6 Defencemen on 1-way deals (Phillips, Kuba, Smith, Volchenkov, Nycholat, and Picard).
-- 1 Defenceman on a 2-way deal (Lee) who is widely expected to make the club.
-- 1 Utility (Schubert), also on a 1-way deal, who can play Forward or Defence.

That's 12 Forwards (counting Schubert) and 6 D on 1-way deals. We need to make room, presumably, for at least Foligno and Lee. That would mean subtracting 2 players on 1-way deals -- for the sake of speculation, let's say Nycholat and McAmmond. That would open up spots for Foligno and Lee, although it would leave Schubert on the wing and Picard on D. If Bass makes the team, that may well mean that we dump yet another forward.

At the very least, then, we're going to have to move 2 players, I think. I can't imagine Lee and Foligno not making the club, and nor can I imagine us paying 2 guys NHL salaries to play in the AHL / sit in the press box -- 1 maybe, I suppose. Hence, I don't think I'm going out on a limb when I say that I think Murray has other moves planned. Whether they will just be salary dumps for picks/prospects, or some trade to bolster our top-6 forwards, I don't know. But it strikes me that we should expect further changes yet between now and the start of the season.

Last edited by rooneypoo on Sun Aug 31, 2008 9:25 pm; edited 1 time in total

5Picard on a 1-way deal! Empty Re: Picard on a 1-way deal! Sun Aug 31, 2008 9:09 pm

"-- 6 Defencemen on 1-way deals (Phillips, Kuba, Smith, Volchenkov, Nycholat, and Lee)."
....and...picard?
lol its funny that you forgot him in your own thread stating he's on a 1-way Razz

6Picard on a 1-way deal! Empty Re: Picard on a 1-way deal! Sun Aug 31, 2008 9:17 pm

Phoenix30

Phoenix30
Veteran
Veteran

rooneypoo wrote:
Tukker wrote:

I have to think we'll have to make more moves than that. Consider this breakdown of our current roster (skaters only):

-- 11 Forwards on 1-way deals (Heatley, Spezza, Alfie, Fisher, Vermette, Kelly, Neil, Ruutu, Donovan, Winchester, and McAmmond).
-- 2 Forwards on 2-way deals (Foligno and Bass) who, after last year's showings, are either expected to make the club (Foligno) or at least push for a roster spot (Bass).
-- 6 Defencemen on 1-way deals (Phillips, Kuba, Smith, Volchenkov, Nycholat, and Lee).
-- 1 Defenceman on a 2-way deal (Lee) who is widely expected to make the club.
-- 1 Utility (Schubert), also on a 1-way deal, who can play Forward or Defence.

That's 12 Forwards (counting Schubert) and 6 D on 1-way deals. We need to make room, presumably, for at least Foligno and Lee. That would mean subtracting 2 players on 1-way deals -- for the sake of speculation, let's say Nycholat and McAmmond. That would open up spots for Foligno and Lee, although it would leave Schubert on the wing and Picard on D. If Bass makes the team, that may well mean that we dump yet another forward.

At the very least, then, we're going to have to move 2 players, I think. I can't imagine Lee and Foligno not making the club, and nor can I imagine us paying 2 guys NHL salaries to play in the AHL / sit in the press box -- 1 maybe, I suppose. Hence, I don't think I'm going out on a limb when I say that I think Murray has other moves planned. Whether they will just be salary dumps for picks/prospects, or some trade to bolster our top-6 forwards, I don't know. But it strikes me that we should expect further changes yet between now and the start of the season.

My guess would be that Schubert would be moved. He has upside and is on a cap friendly salary. I suspect we could get ourselves another pick and prospect for him. Unless of course Murray was looking at putting him in a package with Gerber for a quality goaltender but this won't occur until the season has started I believe.

7Picard on a 1-way deal! Empty Re: Picard on a 1-way deal! Sun Aug 31, 2008 9:26 pm

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

cash wrote:"-- 6 Defencemen on 1-way deals (Phillips, Kuba, Smith, Volchenkov, Nycholat, and Lee)."
....and...picard?
lol its funny that you forgot him in your own thread stating he's on a 1-way Razz

Fixed now.

I was thinking Picard and typed Lee. My bad...

8Picard on a 1-way deal! Empty Re: Picard on a 1-way deal! Sun Aug 31, 2008 9:39 pm

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

Phoenix30 wrote:

My guess would be that Schubert would be moved. He has upside and is on a cap friendly salary. I suspect we could get ourselves another pick and prospect for him. Unless of course Murray was looking at putting him in a package with Gerber for a quality goaltender but this won't occur until the season has started I believe.

It's funny, but I've been thinking the same thing since I learned about Picard's 1-way deal. Schubert really wants to play D, and it just keeps keeping more crowded back there on him. I'd really hate to lose him, but I could be convinced if the return was good enough, I suppose.

Given all of Schubert's upside, however -- he's on a great contract, is big, loves to hit, has a canon for a shot, plays PK and PP, and can play forward and D -- I think we would only move him in a package for a quality player. Maybe we're looking into using Schubert + the SJS 1st rounder [+ whatever] to get help elsewhere, in our top-6 or in net? I don't know. Time will tell, I suppose.

What's quite clear to me now is that there's no way we're standing pat between now and the start of the season. Given the log-jam on our roster right now, we have to expect at least one more move, although there's no speculating how big or small it might be, or precisely what players it will involve.

9Picard on a 1-way deal! Empty Re: Picard on a 1-way deal! Sun Aug 31, 2008 9:45 pm

rooneypoo wrote:
Phoenix30 wrote:

It's funny, but I've been thinking the same thing since I learned about Picard's 1-way deal. Schubert really wants to play D, and it just keeps keeping more crowded back there on him. I'd really hate to lose him, but I could be convinced if the return was good enough, I suppose.

Given all of Schubert's upside, however -- he's on a great contract, is big, loves to hit, has a canon for a shot, plays PK and PP, and can play forward and D -- I think we would only move him in a package for a quality player. Maybe we're looking into using Schubert + the SJS 1st rounder [+ whatever] to get help elsewhere, in our top-6 or in net? I don't know. Time will tell, I suppose.

What's quite clear to me now is that there's no way we're standing pat between now and the start of the season. Given the log-jam on our roster right now, we have to expect at least one more move, although there's no speculating how big or small it might be, or precisely what players it will involve.
I just wrote in another thread that I'm calling for Schubert to get moved, and he seems to fit on Chicago.
I agree with your last point about the certainty of an upcoming trade. It seems inevitable.

10Picard on a 1-way deal! Empty Re: Picard on a 1-way deal! Sun Aug 31, 2008 10:22 pm

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

cash wrote:
I just wrote in another thread that I'm calling for Schubert to get moved, and he seems to fit on Chicago.
I agree with your last point about the certainty of an upcoming trade. It seems inevitable.

I don't think Chicago wants another D. According to NHLSCAP.com, they've already got 7 under contract, plus Barker (who's on a 2-way, entry-level deal -- and who's salary is not currently being counted against the cap)

I think we have to look around for teams that could really use a defensive D like Schubert. The one that comes to my mind right away is LA: again according to NHLSCAP, they only have 4 D on their roster at the moment. Peter Harrold is widely expect to make the team, so that makes 5. Drew Doughty signed an entry-level deal a few weeks ago, so I suppose he's a possibility to make the roster; I don't know if the plan is to just drop him in right away or not. If they do, then LA might have 6 D after all.

In any case, I don't know what we'd be looking for from LA. O'Sullivan is still not signed after 2 long months of contract talks, as was the case with Meszaros. I keep hearing Frolov's name in trade talks, but who knows if there's any truth to that. Does Schubert + the SJS 1st rounder [+ Neil/McAmmond, if needed?] net you one of these 2 guys? Maybe, but only if LA doesn't see one of those two guys in their long-term future.

Atlanta also needs help on the D. They've currently only got 5 D on the roster. They do have an unsigned Bogosian in the pipeline now, and it's possible they might get him signed and put him into the line up this year -- but he is only 18 years old, so who knows if they expect to play him a full season. Does Schubert + Gerber + SJS's 1st rounder [+ another pick/propect or McAmmond/Neil, if needed] get you Lehtenon? Maybe, but only if ATL knows that there's no way Lehtonen will sign with them before he hits UFA next July.

I can't think of any other teams who might potentially be desperate for defensive D help, but LA and ATL seem like a good place to begin. If we're going to move Schubert, tho', I'd have to imagine that it would be teams with really thin bluelines looking to acquire him.

11Picard on a 1-way deal! Empty Re: Picard on a 1-way deal! Sun Aug 31, 2008 10:35 pm

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

I think the most reasonable trade could possibly be with Atlanta. From my understanding of their goaltending situation, Pavelec is the future superstar goaltender as opposed to Lehtonen. I truly believe they will eventually move Lehtonen to make way for Pavelec, maybe even as early as this year. Question is, do we have enough to get Lehtonen who is no slouch himself.

Schubert, Gerber, McAmmond, Zubov, San Jose's 2009 First round pick for Lehtonen plus a mid-round pick?

Does that seem fair? Better yet, if we trade for Lehtonen, are we assuming Elliott isn't going to be as good as people are saying?

I personally think that might be a bit much, but I'm not even certain what Atlanta would want in a trade.

12Picard on a 1-way deal! Empty Re: Picard on a 1-way deal! Sun Aug 31, 2008 10:46 pm

Phoenix30

Phoenix30
Veteran
Veteran

rooneypoo wrote:
cash wrote:

I don't think Chicago wants another D. According to NHLSCAP.com, they've already got 7 under contract, plus Barker (who's on a 2-way, entry-level deal -- and who's salary is not currently being counted against the cap)

I think we have to look around for teams that could really use a defensive D like Schubert. The one that comes to my mind right away is LA: again according to NHLSCAP, they only have 4 D on their roster at the moment. Peter Harrold is widely expect to make the team, so that makes 5. Drew Doughty signed an entry-level deal a few weeks ago, so I suppose he's a possibility to make the roster; I don't know if the plan is to just drop him in right away or not. If they do, then LA might have 6 D after all.

In any case, I don't know what we'd be looking for from LA. O'Sullivan is still not signed after 2 long months of contract talks, as was the case with Meszaros. I keep hearing Frolov's name in trade talks, but who knows if there's any truth to that. Does Schubert + the SJS 1st rounder [+ Neil/McAmmond, if needed?] net you one of these 2 guys? Maybe, but only if LA doesn't see one of those two guys in their long-term future.

Atlanta also needs help on the D. They've currently only got 5 D on the roster. They do have an unsigned Bogosian in the pipeline now, and it's possible they might get him signed and put him into the line up this year -- but he is only 18 years old, so who knows if they expect to play him a full season. Does Schubert + Gerber + SJS's 1st rounder [+ another pick/propect or McAmmond/Neil, if needed] get you Lehtenon? Maybe, but only if ATL knows that there's no way Lehtonen will sign with them before he hits UFA next July.

I can't think of any other teams who might potentially be desperate for defensive D help, but LA and ATL seem like a good place to begin. If we're going to move Schubert, tho', I'd have to imagine that it would be teams with really thin bluelines looking to acquire him.

Someone on HF proposed this trade.

To OTT: Cam Barker, Nikolai Khabibulin

To CHI: Martin Gerber, Chris Neil, Christoph Schubert[/QUOTE]

Here is my response and counter proposal

To OTT: Cam Barker, Nikolai Khabibulin, Troy Brouwer

To CHI: Martin Gerber, Chris Neil, Christoph Schubert, Nikulin, McAmmond, 2009 3rd

Ottawa:

Salary going out: 6.558

Salary coming in: 10.225

Difference in extra salary taken on: 3.667

• Both Kuba's and Bulin's salary comes off at the end of the season and Barker would become Kuba's replacement.
  • Brouwer becomes another call up this season and hopefully makes the team next year.

However now looking at this further if this were to happen we can put both Barker and Brouwer in the minors and call them up later in the season when their contracts are more affordable. Next year they should be able to make the team

Chicago:

Salary coming in: 6.558

Salary going out: 10.225

Difference: -3.667
  • Gerber becomes a quality goalie to help Huet.
  • McAmmond provides leadership to a young team.
  • Neil adds grit and enforcement.
  • Schubert is a young defenceman with size, skill, experience and a cap friendly contract.
  • Nikulin and a pick top off the deal.

13Picard on a 1-way deal! Empty Re: Picard on a 1-way deal! Sun Aug 31, 2008 11:05 pm

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

That trade makes no sense. Even more so in light of the fact that Alexandre Picard is also on a one-way deal. That puts us at:

Phillips - Volchenkov - Kuba - Smith - Picard - Nycholat - Lee

Enter Barker and his 2.763 one-way deal and we are sitting on too many NHL calibre defensemen with one-way contracts. How many contracts, if any, do you think our AHL affiliate will be able to pay?

Not to mention that Khabibulin adds negative value to a trade making that trade so immensely lopsided that you'd start wondering what exactly is going on in our front office.

Let me explain this: as it stands, BOTH Khabibulin AND Barker are on the outs. Khabibulin is slated to be a 6.75 million dollar backup, and Barker is NOT in the defensive scheme with the addition of Campbell.

Taking either one of those players off of Chicago's hands would be a favor to them, to reimburse them with so many roster players would be foolish and ridiculous at best.

If they don't like it, they can go ahead and start their year over the salary cap and learn the hard way (forfeiting games or paying absurd amounts of money for players to play in the minors) not to go over the cap anymore.

To accept that trade, I'd want nothing less than a highly rated prospect, or at the very minimum their first round pick. Also, I'd most likely remove one of our roster players as well.

14Picard on a 1-way deal! Empty Re: Picard on a 1-way deal! Sun Aug 31, 2008 11:20 pm

Amnesia021

Amnesia021
Rookie
Rookie

First note was delete for being naive, google helped me realize i was an idiot :D

on a second note... The nice thing is that even though we have to many players and some might sit in the press box, we won't be paying them a ton of money to do so...well its alot of money to most of us, but in NHL terms, its not as though we'd be sticking a 2 mil guy up there, it would be a couple of +/- 900,000 dollar guys...

Last edited by Amnesia021 on Sun Aug 31, 2008 11:39 pm; edited 1 time in total

15Picard on a 1-way deal! Empty Re: Picard on a 1-way deal! Sun Aug 31, 2008 11:31 pm

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

PKC wrote:That trade makes no sense. Even more so in light of the fact that Alexandre Picard is also on a one-way deal. That puts us at:

Phillips - Volchenkov - Kuba - Smith - Picard - Nycholat - Lee

Enter Barker and his 2.763 one-way deal and we are sitting on too many NHL calibre defensemen with one-way contracts. How many contracts, if any, do you think our AHL affiliate will be able to pay?

Not to mention that Khabibulin adds negative value to a trade making that trade so immensely lopsided that you'd start wondering what exactly is going on in our front office.

Let me explain this: as it stands, BOTH Khabibulin AND Barker are on the outs. Khabibulin is slated to be a 6.75 million dollar backup, and Barker is NOT in the defensive scheme with the addition of Campbell.

Taking either one of those players off of Chicago's hands would be a favor to them, to reimburse them with so many roster players would be foolish and ridiculous at best.

If they don't like it, they can go ahead and start their year over the salary cap and learn the hard way (forfeiting games or paying absurd amounts of money for players to play in the minors) not to go over the cap anymore.

To accept that trade, I'd want nothing less than a highly rated prospect, or at the very minimum their first round pick. Also, I'd most likely remove one of our roster players as well.

To clarify: Cameron Barker is on the last year of his 2-way, 3-year entry level deal. He signed in 2005 but only played 1 game that year (2005-06) season, so the first year of his deal didn't kick in until the start of the 2006-07. Hence, 2 seasons later, he's in the last year of his entry-level deal.

If you check out NHLSCAP.com, in fact, you'll see that Barker is not listed on the team (but with the prospects) and his salary does not count against the cap.

In any event, I say 'booo' to this deal, too. I don't want Khabibulin. If we're really going to make a move for a goalie, there have to be better options, starting with Lehtonen.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum